Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't get game to run

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Napoleon in Italy >> Napoleon in Italy Support >> Can't get game to run Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 3:20:38 AM   
johnhulten

I am running Vista. I have tried running in XP sp2 compatibility. I have tried adjusting my resolution. (I kept getting a message "Cannot adjust resolution 1048x740 16 bit" or something similar). When I get the main menu and pick the tutorial or a campaign I get a screen that imposes itself over most but not all of the menu screen. I see the army's statistics well. But the rest of the game screen in black. I can't use the jump map. I am running as administrator. Please help.

Is the tutorial supposed to be a Hungarian scenario?

johnhulten@hotmail.com
Post #: 1
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 3:36:13 AM   
grimmstede

I am having the same exact problem as well.

(in reply to johnhulten)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 3:46:57 AM   
Erik Rutins

That's very odd - the tutorial when I play is not a hungarian scenario and it does work on our Vista system, though it needs those mentioned tweaks. Can you confirm what version number is on the main screen when you start the game?

Could you post a DxDiag and have you recently updated your Vista video and sound drivers to make sure they are the latest? The only serious issues we had were on a Vista system with older drivers.

What resolution and color depth are you running in?

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 11/8/2007 3:47:19 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to grimmstede)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 4:47:53 AM   
grimmstede

Here is my dxdiag.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 5:42:06 AM   
johnhulten

Eric. It's version 1.02. The tutorial describes a Hungarian conflict but when I press start i get a French General with the blank screen. How do I get a DxDiag? If you still need one from me? Thanks.
I do have the latest Nvdia drivers and have both Microsoft and HP auto updates on.
I tried it in both 16 and 32 bit. I don't seem able to get the exact screen resolution that appears in the message.

(in reply to grimmstede)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 5:58:56 AM   
SlickWilhelm

I'm also running into a problem on Vista Home Premium. I can start a campaign, but when it loads, I get the menu on the left, and the mini-map, but the main tactical map is black. This happens in 1280x1024 and 1024x768 resolution. My laptop's native resolution is 1280x800(widescreen).

When I exit the program, I get this message: "This program requires a missing Windows component. This program requires D3DRM.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows."

That being said, this is a brand new Asus notebook, and I've only had time to update the ATI Radeon 2600 video drivers. I'll do some more driver updating and then report back.

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 11/8/2007 6:03:23 AM >

(in reply to grimmstede)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 6:04:38 AM   
jim pfleck

Try this to get it to run in VISTA:

(1) Start Menu
(2) control panel (right sidebar)
(3) System and Maintenance
(4) advanced system settings (left sidebar)
(5) performance settings
(6) uncheck: (a) enable desktop composition (b) use visual styles on windows and buttons
(7) apply

It was not running for me and then I did this and it worked.

Jim Pfluecke
NiI Playtester

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 6:06:37 AM   
SlickWilhelm

Here's my dxdiag after upgrading both my video card and sound card drivers.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 11/8/2007 8:42:49 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 6:15:31 AM   
Johnus

The tutorial does describe an Hungarian scenario; but when you start it, it involves the French and Austrians in Northern Italy. This must be a leftover from 1848. I am running XP.

Post #: 9
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 6:23:33 AM   
SlickWilhelm

Jim, I tried that, and it sort of worked. I can get the map to show in 1024x768 now, but the game itself is running extremely slow....as in, not accepting my mouse clicks on various parts of the map until 20 seconds after I originally clicked on them. In 1280x24 mode, the map is still black, but I do get a message saying that I cannot change the screen resolution (1280x1024 16-bit color).

I test software for a living, so this is going to be fun...uh, if you can call it that!

Post #: 10
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 11:45:22 AM   
HussarGames

Try to lower the FPS to see if things improve. We had several Vista testers and they reported no problems with Vista with the compatibility settings.
This must be some kind of software or hardware compatibility issue. Please also try with the newest driver for your video card.

If the above fails, please contact us directly: info1848@yahoo.com, so we can arrange some system specific testing.

Post #: 11
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 12:49:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
Jim, I tried that, and it sort of worked. I can get the map to show in 1024x768 now, but the game itself is running extremely slow....as in, not accepting my mouse clicks on various parts of the map until 20 seconds after I originally clicked on them. In 1280x24 mode, the map is still black, but I do get a message saying that I cannot change the screen resolution (1280x1024 16-bit color).

That slow issue we've seen - if you adjust your FPS down to the minimum in the game options, it should resolve.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 12
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 12:51:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
I'm also running into a problem on Vista Home Premium. I can start a campaign, but when it loads, I get the menu on the left, and the mini-map, but the main tactical map is black. This happens in 1280x1024 and 1024x768 resolution. My laptop's native resolution is 1280x800(widescreen).

Hm, it did work fine on a 1280x800 Vista system here as long as it was running in 1024x768 resolution.

quote:

When I exit the program, I get this message: "This program requires a missing Windows component. This program requires D3DRM.dll, which is no longer included in this version of Windows."

Yes, that's a known issue - Microsoft removed that file from Windows when the released Vista. If you want to avoid the error message, follow the instructions in the game readme. It's not something that harms the game though, it's just annoying.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 13
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 12:52:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks Jim, Grimmstede please try this as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jim pfleck
Try this to get it to run in VISTA:

(1) Start Menu
(2) control panel (right sidebar)
(3) System and Maintenance
(4) advanced system settings (left sidebar)
(5) performance settings
(6) uncheck: (a) enable desktop composition (b) use visual styles on windows and buttons
(7) apply

It was not running for me and then I did this and it worked.

Jim Pfluecke
NiI Playtester

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jim pfleck)
Post #: 14
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/8/2007 4:29:21 PM   
jim pfleck

Forgot to mention the FPS rate- put it at 8, which is the lowest it goes. Not being a technical guy, I don't know what this means but it ran fine after I did that and I had no speed issues after that. The mouse was responsive and everything moved at the proper speed.

Post #: 15
RE: Can't get game to run - 11/9/2007 12:08:20 AM   
johnhulten

I fooled with the frame rate and that did not seem to affect the nonperformance. But I seem to have corrected the problem. In the Options window I changed the resolution away from 1280*1024. The game now seems to run fine, but I miss the greater view that the higher resolution would afford.

Post #: 16
RE: Can't get game to run - 1/2/2008 3:53:30 AM   
Wooglin

I had the same problem on an XP machine.
Solved by selecting OPTIONS at main menu.
In middle of the screen, there is a box showing resolution.
Change resolution to what you are running.

- w

(in reply to johnhulten)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Napoleon in Italy >> Napoleon in Italy Support >> Can't get game to run Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI