Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/24/2007 1:57:27 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: hueglin
The map panels may be different, but the map itself could be used and just re-cut to fit the new panel size. I still have the original map I made in Photopaint 11 which is not cut into panels.

The AE map is physically larger, so you would need to increase the size of your map to match the new dimensions (the old map has 20 panels - the AE map has 42).

Andrew

< Message edited by Andrew Brown -- 12/24/2007 1:58:45 PM >

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 211
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/24/2007 2:29:51 PM   
KDonovan

will Ocean island (near the gilberts) be added?

also will Nauru and Ocean Island get resource points to simulate their phosphate deposits?

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 212
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/24/2007 2:56:09 PM   
hueglin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

quote:

The map panels may be different, but the map itself could be used and just re-cut to fit the new panel size. I still have the original map I made in Photopaint 11 which is not cut into panels.

The AE map is physically larger, so you would need to increase the size of your map to match the new dimensions (the old map has 20 panels - the AE map has 42).

Andrew

Thanks for the info Andrew. Are the map panels the same size, with just an increase in the number of panels?

Post #: 213
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/25/2007 5:24:23 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: KDonovan

will Ocean island (near the gilberts) be added?

also will Nauru and Ocean Island get resource points to simulate their phosphate deposits?

Yes and yes.

Also - due to the removal of supply generation by resource centres, these bases will produce resource points only, not supply points as well.

Andrew

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 214
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/25/2007 5:25:06 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

Are the map panels the same size, with just an increase in the number of panels?

Yes they are the same size.

Andrew

(in reply to hueglin)
Post #: 215
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/26/2007 2:04:41 PM   
VSWG

It would be great in an Allied player could stop production by oil and resource centers. Right now the Japanese player can simply bypass all important oil/resource producing bases in the DEI, knowing that he won't lose any production since it will stockpile.

I'm aware that the ability to destroy production would imbalance the game, but stopping production is another matter IMO.

Post #: 216
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/26/2007 2:12:33 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

It would be great in an Allied player could stop production by oil and resource centers. Right now the Japanese player can simply bypass all important oil/resource producing bases in the DEI, knowing that he won't lose any production since it will stockpile.

I'm aware that the ability to destroy production would imbalance the game, but stopping production is another matter IMO.

I definitely agree. But I think that will have to wait for a future update.

Andrew

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 217
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/28/2007 8:26:40 PM   
NormS3

How about galapagos islands? They may become important in any of the cut the US off from Australia attempts.

Post #: 218
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/28/2007 9:34:43 PM   
Shark7

quote:

On the other hand, we know what happened. The allies did not know how easily the DEI would fall. Seems to me they would have kept the production up and tried to transport the oil and resource to help their war effort. The trouble is, the AI is horrible at actually moving the resources.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 219
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/29/2007 1:00:16 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

On the other hand, we know what happened. The allies did not know how easily the DEI would fall. Seems to me they would have kept the production up and tried to transport the oil and resource to help their war effort. The trouble is, the AI is horrible at actually moving the resources.

Well, the complaint was based on Japanese Players making use of hindsight..., so why shouldn't the Allied player get the same chance? And the Dutch DID know how defenseless they were, which is why they started wiring everything to blow the moment the war started.

The AI is horrible at almost everything strategic..., that's why so many players move on to PBEM after "learning the ropes".

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 220
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/29/2007 1:40:22 AM   
KDonovan

has if the weather model been adjusted?

is it possible for a player to better forecast the weather?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 221
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/29/2007 4:23:41 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: KDonovan

has if the weather model been adjusted?

is it possible for a player to better forecast the weather?

Unfortunately, there are no changes to the weather system. Perhaps there will be time for this later on.

Andrew

(in reply to KDonovan)
Post #: 222
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/30/2007 5:08:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

What about antimony? Up to 90% of antimony production is in China. It is used to alloy with lead. Sure, everyone knows about the sexy stuff like oil, rubber, tin and aluminum but antimony is one of my favorite metals. Sure, it's a bit brittle, but it shouldn't be disrespected. Will this be modeled?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 12/30/2007 6:52:29 PM >

Post #: 223
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/30/2007 5:29:04 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

What about antimony? Up to 90% of anitmony production is in China. It is used to alloy with lead. Sure, everyone knows about the sexy stuff like oil, rubber, tin and aluminum but antimony is one of my favorite metals. Sure, it's a bit brittle, but it shouldn't be disrespected. Will this be modeled?

As far as I know there will be no disrespect for antimony in the game.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 224
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/30/2007 6:44:04 PM   
okami

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

What about antimony? Up to 90% of anitmony production is in China. It is used to alloy with lead. Sure, everyone knows about the sexy stuff like oil, rubber, tin and aluminum but antimony is one of my favorite metals. Sure, it's a bit brittle, but it shouldn't be disrespected. Will this be modeled?

As far as I know there will be no disrespect for antimony in the game.

I thought the Japanese declared war on antimony? Isn't that why they were there in the first place?

"Square peg, round hole? No problem. Malet please.

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 225
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/30/2007 10:54:48 PM   
witpqs

Actually it's the communists who are antimony.

(in reply to okami)
Post #: 226
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 12:45:44 AM   
rockmedic109

I went to school with Antimony in 3rd grade.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 227
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 5:07:05 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I call upon St. Antimony when I has misplaced my cell phone or car keys.

Post #: 228
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 5:52:52 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

How about galapagos islands? They may become important in any of the cut the US off from Australia attempts.

The Galapagos Islands are not included. Probably the only thing on my current map that won't be on the AE map.

Andrew

PS: We thought long and hard about tracking Antimony production but reluctantly decided against it.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 229
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 1:11:00 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

PS: We thought long and hard about tracking Antimony production but reluctantly decided against it.

But not in a disrespectful way!

Post #: 230
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 1:34:07 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

I was looking at the screen shots that Matrix posted up for the AE edition.

I have a question on a symbol I see:

What is that little square I see in the upper left corner of the Shanghai hex? (It also appears in Canton, Pescadores, and the southern base in Okinawa.)

I assumed it was a "mines present" symbol, but I don't see one in Hong Kong, which aught to be mined (although if the screen shot was done by a player logged in as the "Japanese player", it may be missing due to FOW...).

Finally checked this - yes that is a mine symbol, and is absent in HK for the reason you guessed at.

Andrew

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 231
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 9:21:19 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

I was looking at the screen shots that Matrix posted up for the AE edition.

I have a question on a symbol I see:

What is that little square I see in the upper left corner of the Shanghai hex? (It also appears in Canton, Pescadores, and the southern base in Okinawa.)

I assumed it was a "mines present" symbol, but I don't see one in Hong Kong, which aught to be mined (although if the screen shot was done by a player logged in as the "Japanese player", it may be missing due to FOW...).

Finally checked this - yes that is a mine symbol, and is absent in HK for the reason you guessed at.

Andrew

Well the FOW always lifts and shows me that they are there when I find them the hard way. The last time it only cost me a couple of AKs. Nasty devices.

Which brings up a good question, is the mine warfare model going to be changed any in AE?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 232
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 12/31/2007 9:29:02 PM   
mlees

I believe Terminus (or maybe jwilkerson) said somewhere that they will look at the mine warfare aspect, with the overall net effect of reducing the over-abundance of mines in the game. (Probably by making the requirements for reloading minelayers more stringent.)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 233
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/1/2008 4:31:12 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Which brings up a good question, is the mine warfare model going to be changed any in AE?

Best to ask the naval guys that question.

Andrew

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 234
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/3/2008 6:32:47 PM   
NormS3

Andrew,

Sorry to bother you again. Do you mean that galapagos islands would not be show up as artwork on the map, or not as a base.

Sorry I was not specific in my initial question.

Thanks again

Post #: 235
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/3/2008 9:27:56 PM   
Dukemourn

quote:

I definitely agree. But I think that will have to wait for a future update.

Andrew

Andrew, I've thought of three ways you might improve this without a lot of programming.

1st Method: Have a Storage Limit.  If oil stored at a DEI Base is greater than 1 months production then  [Oil stored = Oil stored - 1 days production].
                 If the Dutch couldn't ship the oil out of a base then I doubt if they would keep producing it and storing it.

2nd method: Storage Destruction.  Currently engineers destroy some percentage of production capacity if they are present when the base is lost.  Why not have them destroy some percentage of the oil stored also?

3rd Method:  Production stoppage if within Japanese Normal bombing range.  If the Japanese take over a base within normal bombing range of a DEI oil production base then that DEI Base would automatically stop production using the same routine as the 1st method above.  [Oil stored = Oil stored - 1 days production].

I know these ideas may be OTS but if you implement one then I'd have my teeny little mark on the greatest game ever made.

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 236
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/4/2008 3:10:59 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Andrew,

Sorry to bother you again. Do you mean that galapagos islands would not be show up as artwork on the map, or not as a base.

Sorry I was not specific in my initial question.

Thanks again

No worries. The Galapagos Islands are not included as either artwork or base. Since off-map movement is Allied only, there is no need to represent the role of the Galapagos as a cover for the Pacific approaches to Panama.

Andrew

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 237
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/4/2008 6:01:44 PM   
Mike Solli

I was just discussing something in another thread and came up with another question concerning Japanese production.  Currently squads, weapons and vehicles are all produced with combinations of manpower, armament and vehicle points while the Allies get production rates of all their stuff.  It seems that if the Japanese have sufficient points in the pool, they can pretty much produce whatever they need, based on the whims of the AI, of course.  Sounds kind of unfair.  Is there going to be any change to this facet of production?

(OMG, I'm a JFB and I'm asking this question! )

Post #: 238
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/4/2008 6:09:00 PM   
Mike Solli

Will the pilot training program require fuel (actually supply in the game)?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 239
RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread - 1/4/2008 11:34:58 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I was just discussing something in another thread and came up with another question concerning Japanese production. Currently squads, weapons and vehicles are all produced with combinations of manpower, armament and vehicle points while the Allies get production rates of all their stuff. It seems that if the Japanese have sufficient points in the pool, they can pretty much produce whatever they need, based on the whims of the AI, of course. Sounds kind of unfair. Is there going to be any change to this facet of production?

(OMG, I'm a JFB and I'm asking this question! )

It would be too big a change to provide full Allied production (or equivalent to the Japanese at least - even the Japanese do not have complete control over their production). But I don't think that the Allied player should necessarily have as much control as the Japanese player anyway. What I would like to see though is more reactive allied production - meaning that if there are deficiencies in some areas the Allied production would compensate for it. But that would be for a future game.

The other thing that we should pay attention to is that the Japanese production rates are realistic.

Andrew

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Admiral's Edition Map Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI