Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Roger Wilco vs BattleCom

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Roger Wilco vs BattleCom Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roger Wilco vs BattleCom - 9/16/2000 11:22:00 AM   
Tank

First let me say as a longtime fan of Steel Panthers, getting what is a full SP game free for the asking makes me wet my battle dress. Yes, that's the one with the matching camo skirt! You pervs. And now for the question... Does anyone have a preference? Which talk program is the better one? Any feedback would be appreciated. I could install both Roger Wilco and BattleCom, but then I would worry about WinDoze compatibility issues. A pox upon Microsoft! Uh... unless they are listening... Ah, fine bloated code you guys got! Tank P.S. I have DSL so bandwidth is not a problem, USUALLY.

Post #: 1
- 9/16/2000 11:32:00 AM   
Keebler

I prefer Battle com as it offers grater flexibility. Battle com offers 10 compression levels while Roger Wilco offers only one. You will notice most of the benefits of Battle Com on a high bandwidth connection like Cable or ADSL. Even with a 56K modem you will notice a marked improvement with Battle Com on Compression level “Echo”. Battle Com and Roger Wilco behave well together on a win 9x system. I keep both since I sometimes connect to people using Mac. Unless you have a reason to maintain cross platform compatibility to MAC I would recommend Battle Com. Try them both. They are both free, and very small! ------------------ If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 2
- 9/16/2000 2:58:00 PM   
Fuerte

I have Roger Wilco. We have used it in Unreal Tournament and Diablo 2, and while it works quite well when it works (it uses very little CPU power), we have also had major problems with it. The usual problem is that someone has to turn Voice Activated option off and then back on after about 10 minutes. Sometimes Roger Wilco has crashed so badly, that I had to reboot the machine, and it has not worked even since, so a cold boot was necessary (probably a sound card problem)... So I personally would recommend BattleCom even if I have never used it!

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 3
- 9/16/2000 5:28:00 PM   
Fredde

I've played Team fortress classic for Halflife on a fairly high level. Pros and cons for the talk programs: Roger Wilco, doesn't require much bandwidth, reliable but with a bad voice quality, works perfectly even through firewalls etc. Battlecom, big problems if you're behind a firewall with no access to its settings. Good voice quality, fairly reliable. Demans more bandwidth. Teamsound, very nice program (my choice!). Requires more bandwidth, excellent voice quality and works through firewalls as well. Fairly reliable. Have no clue if it works with SPWAW, but if RW and BC does it should.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 4
- 9/17/2000 7:23:00 PM   
Tank

Thanks to all who replied. I'm leaning toward BattleCom but I will probably check out Teamsound as well. Regards, Tank

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 5
- 9/18/2000 3:29:00 AM   
Fuerte

We tested all there programs yesterday. My friend couldn't get the microphone level high enough in BattleCom, so that was out of the question. Next we tried TeamSound, and it seemed to work ok, until suddenly we couldn't hear each other at all. So next we were back at Roger Wilco. Unfortunately it has that odd problem, after about 10 minutes I can't hear him, until he switches the Voice Activated option off and back on. So there really is no working solution for us at the moment.

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 6
- 9/18/2000 3:54:00 PM   
Fredde

Try again, you will need to play with the settings a bit. Don't give up :-)

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Roger Wilco vs BattleCom Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI