Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finally bought it

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Finally bought it Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 7:20:06 AM   
Warspite3

Got the download & physical. Had to take advantage of the 25% holiday special on at least one of the games Now... lets see where to start on this huge game... Guess I will give the tutorial a run after I patch all up.

-Warspite3-
Post #: 1
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 7:29:33 AM   
wild_Willie2

Welcome to the club..

Say "goodbye" to your social life btw

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 2
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 10:52:33 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

Hi, welcome aboard.
I suggest to take a look at the tutorial, the Must Read Threads and a deep look into the AAR section

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 3
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 10:52:33 AM   
goodboyladdie

It really is a great game. Don't forget to "patch up". We have all been there, so don't be shy when it comes to asking questions. Once you get settled there is plenty of lovely art around to pretty it up a little. The AARs are a good place to find tips.

Art by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 4
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 1:49:03 PM   
Tofke

Welcome on board !!!

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 5
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 2:10:26 PM   
m10bob

Welcome to the Pacific!..Don't be surprised to find yourself re-starting your game several times in the learning process. Each time you learn something new about the game, it keeps getting better.
For info, the folks on this forum are great and there is no such thing as a stupid question..

(in reply to Tofke)
Post #: 6
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 2:16:33 PM   
Mistmatz

Welcome aboard.

Get used to the basic mechanics with the scenarios, then try a scenario against a human. After that consider playing a PBEM campaign with one of the many mods available (CHS, RHS etc.).
Most of all have fun!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 7
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 3:31:03 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Welcome. After the tutorial, dive straight into a full campaign as Allies...the AI can be a challenge for a newb.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 8
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 3:37:30 PM   
VSWG

Welcome aboard.

I suggest installing CHS right after completing the tutorial. AE will be released this year, and from what I've read, it's OoB will be closer to CHS than to stock. Don't get used to the many historic inaccuracies in stock!

< Message edited by VSWG -- 1/8/2008 3:39:08 PM >

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 9
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 3:40:35 PM   
Ron Saueracker

Definitely download the latest CHS, the stock is a little, well, stock.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 10
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 6:09:23 PM   
bobogoboom

what's stock.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.
Member Texas Thread Mafia.

Sig art by rogueusmc

Post #: 11
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 6:12:17 PM   
goodboyladdie

A good place to start. Stop confusing the noob. He has a big learning curve without trying to get his head around new art and maps...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 12
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 6:22:16 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

A good place to start. Stop confusing the noob. He has a big learning curve without trying to get his head around new art and maps...

As he is a newb arts and maps are new to him anyway. So maybe it's really better to start with something more commonly used like CHS.

Post #: 13
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 6:56:20 PM   
Gem35

The poor guy is new and has alot of information to digest, the last thing he needs is to worry about CHS or Nikmod or any of the other versions/extras/add-ons etc..., let him sit down, relax and take his coat off a bit.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 14
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 7:09:46 PM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

The poor guy is new and has alot of information to digest, the last thing he needs is to worry about CHS or Nikmod or any of the other versions/extras/add-ons etc..., let him sit down, relax and take his coat off a bit.

I would say CHS is a good place to start same mechanics as stock with out all the stupid things like jap carriers with armored flight decks

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi, and we're in that bar.

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 15
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 10:49:27 PM   
goodboyladdie

He can move on to mods if he likes, but stock is a good place to cut your teeth. Once he has kicked the AIs arse a couple of times he will likely find his way to a mod that suits him. All this arguing may well make him think he has bitten off more than he can chew...

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to bobogoboom)
Post #: 16
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 11:19:51 PM   
iaidoka2

LOL guys.

I just bought it as well taking advantage of the Xmas sale.

Ive played the tutorial once and will play it again (made some mistakes first time round setting up Jap TFs).

I was also going to ask about artwork and mods etc.  I have seen some comments where people suggest installing another copy of the game so you can have different versions.  Is there some kind of mod manager that people use or recommend?

Two dumb questions - 1.  LCU is not used int he manual AFAIK but is used in the tutorial but not defined etc.  I assume it refers to transport units.  Can anyone enlighten me.  2. the tutorial asks you to merge a 1 ship TF with another TF but again merge is not used in the manual so I assumed it just meant transfer the ship to another TF.  Is this right.

I will say that I was apprehensive about getting this game because I thought it would be too much and would gather electronic dust on the HDD but having had a little look, although complicated, it looks like real fun so I am looking forward to getting into it.

How can you find anything in 'The Thread' LOL?

Finally, is there any good resources (web sites, books) with a simple overview of planes and ships relevant to this theatre to help me understand what units are best for what purpose etc. Or is it easier to use the database within the game?

< Message edited by iaidoka2 -- 1/8/2008 11:23:36 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 11:34:58 PM   
Helpless

Welcome aboard!

Good newbie path (aka WITP in 7 days for Dummies) would be

Day 1 - Play Tutorial
Day 2 - Read Manual
Day 3 - Forget Manual and go through "must read threads" http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showProfile.asp?memid=20860
Day 4 - Play AI in stock scenX
Day 5 - Read 151 pages of Pzb'z AAR http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=679803
Day 6 - Install CHS and all art mods http://www.bur.st/~akbrown/witp.html http://mathubert.free.fr/
Day 7 - Start mirror PBEM games with trollelite http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1658426

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to iaidoka2)
Post #: 18
RE: Finally bought it - 1/8/2008 11:36:56 PM   
Mistmatz

quote:

ORIGINAL: iaidoka2

LOL guys.

Ive played the tutorial once and will play it again (made some mistakes first time round setting up Jap TFs).

I was also going to ask about artwork and mods etc. I have seen some comments where people suggest installing another copy of the game so you can have different versions. Is there some kind of mod manager that people use or recommend?

Two dumb questions - 1. LCU is not used int he manual AFAIK but is used in the tutorial but not defined etc. I assume it refers to transport units. Can anyone enlighten me. 2. the tutorial asks you to merge a 1 ship TF with another TF but again merge is not used in the manual so I assumed it just meant transfer the ship to another TF. Is this right.

I will say that I was apprehensive about getting this game because I thought it would be too much and would gather electronic dust on the HDD but having had a little look, although complicated, it looks like real fun so I am looking forward to getting into it.

Finally, is there any good resources (web sites, books) with a simple overview of planes and ships relevant to this theatre to help me understand what units are best for what purpose etc. Or is it easier to use the database within the game?

Forget about thread and anti-thread, only people with too much time and/or waiting for a pbem turn are hanging out there...

Regarding resource I always liked the ingame information. Weaponry details and also AA/ASW values, air ranges etc. are quite a good indication how to use your assets. If you do something wrong you'll notice, believe me.

< Message edited by Mistmatz -- 1/8/2008 11:38:04 PM >

(in reply to iaidoka2)
Post #: 19
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 12:35:13 AM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: iaidoka2

LOL guys.

I was also going to ask about artwork and mods etc.  I have seen some comments where people suggest installing another copy of the game so you can have different versions.  Is there some kind of mod manager that people use or recommend?

Two dumb questions - 1.  LCU is not used int he manual AFAIK but is used in the tutorial but not defined etc.  I assume it refers to transport units.  Can anyone enlighten me.  2. the tutorial asks you to merge a 1 ship TF with another TF but again merge is not used in the manual so I assumed it just meant transfer the ship to another TF.  Is this right.

Welcome aboard.

1. LCU means "Land Combat Unit"...a generic term for ANY land unit.

2. Correct....combine the two Task Forces (TFs)

If this is your type of game, believe me, it will not collect "electronic dust" for a long time.

The "Thread"..."Anti-thread"..."Log"...etc. is just the "clubhouse" of this forum. Topic of conversation varies from "the understanding of women" to "small rodents with panzerfausts".

(in reply to iaidoka2)
Post #: 20
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 1:15:10 AM   
Mynok

When lunacy knocks at your door, the Thread is full of like-minded folks to keep you company......

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 21
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 1:49:15 AM   
tsimmonds

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Topic of conversation varies from "the understanding of women" to "small rodents with panzerfausts".

Pretty small range if you ask me.

Who said that?!?!?!?

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 22
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 2:04:32 AM   
Warspite3

Awesome guys and thanks! I just got in from work, will be trying out the tutorial in a bit. I have the game all patched up and ready to go. Helpless, sorry but those links are very helpful, so you can't be helpless on that one  Anyway, all of this pacific war stuff is right up my alley and I really get into it. Ever since the old PTO days back on the SNES and Sega Genesis over 15 years ago, I was always into it. I also enjoy pacific storm as well. It just seems to me WitP is the real deal and from what I read the best computer wargame ever made on the pacific theater. The past few years I just did not have the time like I do now to be able to really learn it and play it, part of the reason I waited so long to pick it up. Oh and don't worry, I am sure I will ask some questions, but chances are they will already be answered in this forum somewhere. I figure I can learn it pretty well now and when AE is released, I should easily have a full understanding of the game and will pick that up too.

-Warspite3-

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 23
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 3:02:47 AM   
sadja

Welcome aboard, My hard drive died a couple of months ago and haven't loaded it back yet. Never did the mods or art. Will do that soon and get back to playing. I have spent a couple of years with this game. I have never had so much fun with a game. The most fun when you feel a little comfortable is get somebody to PBEM.

Your never Lost if you don't care where you are.

Tom Massie GPAA

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 24
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 3:57:54 AM   
bobogoboom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz
Forget about thread and anti-thread, only people with too much time and/or waiting for a pbem turn are hanging out there...

Your just jelious that you never saw the light of the one true thread

Sig art by rogueusmc

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 25
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 4:46:18 AM   
GaryChildress

Welcome aboard Warspite3!

(in reply to sadja)
Post #: 26
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 5:03:05 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Welcome to the club..

SOCIAL LIFE?.........it seems I should know what that is....nope I don't recall ..... I'll have to think on it some.

Lawrence

Post #: 27
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 5:05:59 AM   
madgamer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

Welcome. After the tutorial, dive straight into a full campaign as Allies...the AI can be a challenge for a newb.

or.......even.....an oldie LOL

Lawrence

Post #: 28
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 8:09:20 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Topic of conversation varies from "the understanding of women" to "small rodents with panzerfausts".

Pretty small range if you ask me.

Who said that?!?!?!?

Says the guy with a kitty sniper, the scourge of panzerfaust carrying rodents...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 29
RE: Finally bought it - 1/9/2008 9:25:04 AM   
wild_Willie2

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

Welcome to the club..

SOCIAL LIFE?.........it seems I should know what that is....nope I don't recall ..... I'll have to think on it some.

Lawrence

Does anybody know where I can download this "SOCIAL LIFE" ????? I heard about it once and it sounded like a nice game, but even after googeling it I can't seem to find this "SOCIAL LIFE"?

Could anybody please send me a URL/FTP/Emule/bittorent/rapidshare link where I can get it??.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Finally bought it Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI