Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 11/19/2007 11:24:33 PM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle_Joe
I dont necessarily think that that is the case at all. It not a question of having too much control IMO, but more that the CoG econ was too 'fuzzy'. And by 'fuzzy' I mean that it was too convoluted and it was very difficult to determine what the cause and effect of various actions taken was. This leads to players making guesses rather than decisions and eventually to just the desire to not want to mess with it at all (and hence the reason why

I'm just going by a lot of the comments I've seen on other forums as to why people didn't like the COG economy.

I do think you're right that people prefer things that are more transparent. In the COG economy, everything affects everything else over a few turns. I was trying to design something I'd never seen in a strategy game before, an economy that was complex enough that making economic decisions might feel something like making economic decisions in the real world. In the real world, Paul Volcker increases interest rates, he doesn't know exactly what's going to happen... he may have enough experience to have a good idea, but the system is so "fuzzy and convoluted" that he's not just able to predict the exact effects of his decisions. Frankly I still like having this kind of thing in the game -- knowledge of the economy becomes a matter of intuition and experience -- but I agree with you 100% that the majority of players hate having to deal with something that's too complex to be able to handle more directly. There are a few European reviewers who really loved the economy in COG and one who actually "got" exactly what I was trying to do with it, another who thought we ruined FOF by taking out the COG economy, but I think these guys are exceptions and, (sniffle, sniffle), I don't think we'll being trying to implement this kind of economy again.

Bummer... that's the thing I liked most about the economy aspect. Unfortunately, many wargamers are absolute control freaks and think it's 'realistic and historical' to be able to determine the cause and effect of every single action, whether in the economy or on the battlefield. In my view, such an outlook is anything but realistic or historical.

I think it was truman (can't remember) who said that if you were to line up all the economists in the world, they'd still be pointing in different directions.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 31
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 11/20/2007 3:11:10 AM   
sol_invictus

Thanks for your reply ericbabe. I look forward to your efforts.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 32
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 11/20/2007 6:57:29 AM   
Sytass

quote:

I agree there was too much economic development possible in COG. Originally (at least in our in-house testing in the beta stage of development) we tried to ensure that economic development would be held to reasonable levels of GDP growth by balancing the costs of things with their economic benefits. The longer-scenario and the mitigated waste rules really allow things to grow much too large.

I don't think it's inappropriate to have appropriately large economic growth in this period though. Napoleon and the Directory introduced sweeping economic reforms, and to a large extent Napoleon engaged in an attempt at "micromanaging" some sectors of the French economy.

By way of examples: in 1800 London built the West India docks, expanding them steadily over the next six years, and in the same year the Berlin's Royal Porcelain factory begins to use steam power for the first time, greatly increasing its production of luxury goods over the next few years. The first advertising agency is opened in London. A major horse-drawn railway opens in the Ruhr Valley to increase mining operations there. Berlin introduces a new postal system. Denmark begins to regulate guilds in Copenhagen.

In 1801, the Bank of France is founded. Horse-drawn railways are introduced in Surrey. Gerhard von Scharnhorst starts a war college in Berlin. Chivas Royal Scotch whisky is first blended (an increase in luxuries if ever there was one). The London Stock Exchange is formed.

I do agree that as it is now, the growth can easily be too large. I also think that the more feudal nations should have a harder time of changing their economy -- note that the examples in 1800/1801 are all French, British, and Prussian (not that other places weren't making economic developments as well.)

Good points, and while I agree with them, I also agree that in game the effects were too pronounced, especially in more "traditional" monarchies, like Russia.

quote:

For my own opinion, I disagree that the upgrades are too fantastic for the period. Most of the things on the list were things actually developed during the period covered by the game (or else were attempted to be developed, such as Rocket Horses), and their effects aren't anything like the sweeping technological changes introduced into WWII. They also for the most part don't represent technological improvements but rather developments in military doctrine or training. I would argue that the Coalition showed marked improvements in military doctrine during the Napoleonic Wars. I'd appreciate more opinions on this as I haven't heard too many people complain that the upgrade system is too generous.

I think I may have expressed myself a bit misleadingly here. :) What I meant was that research could have been a bit more streamlined, i.e. instead of small steps being researched, putting together some related advances into one.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 33
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 11/20/2007 4:24:37 PM   
ericbabe

Well Alexander I did try to enact some social and economic reforms.  He formed the "Private Committee", and they drew up a number of reforms, such as allowing merchants to own land, as well as drafting a constitution that would have given new rights to the peasantry.  None of this was ever signed into law however!  If I remember right, Russia did engage in a number of cultural works at the time, and built new educational institutions as well.

I think the best thing may be to have cost multipliers on improvement types for each nation.  I'll have to think about it some more though.

(in reply to Sytass)
Post #: 34
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 11/21/2007 4:02:46 PM   
siRkid

Great news! I own and enjoy all of your games and will diffently get this one. And when you finnaly make a Fantasy game using the FoF engine I'll buy that one to.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 35
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/4/2008 1:28:59 AM   
Steely Glint

Is the expansion still being worked on? What's its ETA? 1st quarter 2008? 2nd quarter?

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 36
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/4/2008 3:41:55 AM   
ericbabe

Yep, 2nd quarter at the earliest.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 37
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/4/2008 4:33:13 AM   
Steely Glint

Thanks for the prompt answer! I'll buy it as soon as it's out.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 38
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/13/2008 11:08:23 PM   
Czrasai

I've just recently got COG and still feeling my way around, but I will get COG2 as soon as it becomes available.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 39
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/14/2008 1:37:59 AM   
vaalen

Erik, I agree. I've had this game for years and never really enjoyed it because I found the economy too frustrating. The complexity was fine, but it was the seeming total inability to figure out the result of my actions that was frustrating.

May I suggest that the expansion contain an economic model with all the detail of the original, but done in such a way that you can anticipate the approximate result of your actions? There are many people who love to plan economic aspects, but the fuzziness of the current model makes planning very difficult.

I would also like to see an option for an economy that was largely automated, for those folks who would like to focus on the military aspects.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 40
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/14/2008 9:08:07 AM   
Spechtmeise

I don't find the economy to be overly complicated. It takes some time to figure out cause and effect. The economy aspect, among other things, is what sets CoG apart from other Napoleonic games. So, please leave the economy in. One aspect that I do find difficult to understand is how the advisors tick. Their decisions can be very...quirky.

(in reply to vaalen)
Post #: 41
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/14/2008 9:49:58 AM   
Marshall Thomas

I think that CoG's economic model is perhaps the best economic model I've seen in any historical game, not just Napoleonic. It's quite realistic in many ways and certainly gives you plenty to think about and do when you're not at war. I hope that it's expanded in the Emporer's Edition, but not made any less detailed.

My biggest hopes for the expansion would be: more map view/zoom levels for both the strategic and tactical maps, A.I. improvements, more detailed colony rules, and graphical improvements. I've heard that a lot of fans hope for a simply economic model so that they can focus more on their military. Personally, I enjoy the economic, diplomatic, and military aspects of CoG in equal measure. Hopefully options/settings will allow both sides to be pleased. Again, I can't say how pleased I am that an expansion/sequel is being made. Thanks

(in reply to Spechtmeise)
Post #: 42
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/14/2008 11:21:39 PM   
ericbabe

The current economic rules won't go away -- the plan is to make them an "advanced option."  We may tinker with the "advanced" economy some more.

It is possibly largely to automate the economy via the advisors.  Watching the advisors operate gives you a sense of how the AI operates... it's basically trying to find maxima for a series of equations.  So it does do things that might seem quirky, but it's just trying to keep heading toward a maximal state.

Presently the program does tally the effects of your economic changes for you, so if you make economic changes then these will be reflected in the changes in the income numbers.  However, there are so many things that can affect the economy during the turn (movement of merchant ships and armies, weather, trade routes, treaties, destruction of depots, etc.) that the prediction is almost never accurate and sometimes it's very far off.  I personally enjoy this mechanism, but I completely sympathize with people who either wish the predictions would be more accurate or that the mechanism were simpler.

(in reply to Marshall Thomas)
Post #: 43
RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way - 1/15/2008 2:45:38 AM   
Marshall Thomas

I also enjoy this mechanism of a not entirely predictable economic forecast. It's much more realistic than the economic model for most strategy games. In reality, even the best economist encounter at least a small degree of unexpected circumstances. I'm looking foward to the tinkering of the current economic model.

Thanks for your response.

< Message edited by Marshall Thomas -- 1/15/2008 2:52:06 AM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> RE: COG Expansion Is Officially Under Way Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI