Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook - 1/14/2008 5:02:25 PM   
shenandoah

Brig Gen Philip Cook (b. 1817, d. 1894) The son of Major Philip Cook, verteran of the War of 1812, was born July 31, 1817 in Twiggs County, Georgia. He got his education at Oglethorpe University in Georgia. Then he went on to law school at the University of Virginia where he graduated in 1841. He practiced law and was in politics up until the war broke out. His first military experience was during the Second Seminole War of 1835-1842 which helped prepare him another war years later. At the beginning of the war, he volunteered as a private in the 4th Georgia Infantry Regiment. He became Lt. and fought during US Gen. McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign of 1862 and then the Seven Days. He was wounded at the battle of Malvern Hill and had earned him Lt. Colonel of the regiment. The next battles were 2nd Manassas and Antietam and was promoted to Colonel of the 4th Regiment on Nov 1, 1862. After he fought in 2nd Fredericksburg and then Chancellorsville, where he was cited for gallantry in leading a charge on Union artillary. Cook was wounded in the leg during the Chancellorsville Campaign and returned to Georgia to recovery. During this time, he served in a session of the Georgia legislature. Returning back to service, he arrived in time for the Gen U.S. Grant’s Overland Campaign of 1864. When Brig. Gen. George P. Doles was killed during the battle of Cold Harbor, Cook became commander of Doles’ brigade in Major Gen. Robert E. Rodes’ division. During the fighting at Petersburg, he was wounded. On Aug 1, 1864, he was promoted to brigadier general. Cook traveled to Shenandoah Valley to help support Lt. Gen. Jubal Early. At the battle of Cedar Creek, Cook’s brigade was part of Maj.Gen. Stephen D. Ramseur’s Division during the attack. He returned to Petersburg and in March of 1865 was wounded in the arm during the battle of Fort Stedman. While recovering in the hospital, he was captured in early April. On June 18, he was paroled and returned to Georgia. Cook began to practice law and stayed active in politics. He was elected to the United States House of Representatives and served from 1873 – 1883. From 1883 – 1889, he served on the commission to build the state capitol in Atlanta. In 1890, he was appointed Georgia’s Secretary of State and held that position until his death on May 21, 1894. He was laid to rest in Rose Hill Cemetery at Macon, Georgia. In 1918, Cook County in Georgia was named in his honor.

I will start work on "Little Phil" Sheridan. I am sure to find plenty material around here on him. However, at Books A Million in Winchester the other day, it was easy to find Generals in Gray but unable to find Generals in Blue. Go figure.

Then I will work on some CSA small % or whoever is left to do on the master excel file.
Post #: 1
RE: CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook - 1/16/2008 12:39:07 PM   
jkBluesman

I recommand a Confederate from "A-F" as the others are all done.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook - 1/17/2008 10:16:08 PM   
Gil R.

Copied, thanks. And good news that you'll do Sheridan.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 3
RE: CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook - 1/26/2008 12:36:22 PM   
Gil R.

Here's Cook. I did make some writing changes other than the ones in bold, so please look it over to make sure I didn't get something wrong.

Brig. Gen. Philip Cook (b. 1817, d. 1894). The son of Maj. Philip Cook, veteran of the War of 1812, was born July 31, 1817 in Twiggs County, Georgia, and received his education at nearby Oglethorpe University. Attending law school at the University of Virginia and graduating in 1841, Cook practiced law and was active in politics up until the Civil War broke out. Having gained military experience during the Second Seminole War of 1835-1842, at the beginning of the war he volunteered as a private in the 4th Georgia Infantry Regiment. Cook rose to lieutenant and fought during Gen. George B. McClellan’s Peninsular Campaign and then the Seven Days’ Campaign in spring and summer of 1862. He was wounded at the Battle of Malvern Hill on July 1, earning promotion to lieutenant colonel of the regiment. He recovered within two months, in time to serve at Second Bull Run and Antietam, and was promoted to Colonel of the 4th Regiment on November 1. The following May, Cook fought in the Second Battle of Fredericksburg and then at Chancellorsville, where he was cited for gallantry in leading a charge on Union artillery. He was wounded in the leg during the Chancellorsville Campaign and returned to Georgia to recover. During this time, he served in a session of the Georgia legislature. Returning to active service, Cook joined the Army of Northern Virginia in time for Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s Overland Campaign of May-June 1864. When Brig. Gen. George P. Doles was killed during the Battle of Cold Harbor, Cook became commander of Doles’ brigade, which was in Maj. Gen. Robert E. Rodes’ division. Following this campaign, as the Confederate army dug in at Petersburg, Cook was again wounded, but on August 1 he was promoted to brigadier general. Cook and his brigade soon traveled to the Shenandoah Valley to help support Lt. Gen. Jubal Early’s efforts, fighting in Maj. Gen. Stephen D. Ramseur’s division at the Battle of Cedar Creek on October 19. Cook’s brigade returned to the besieged city of Petersburg, and on March 25 1865 he was wounded in the arm during the Battle of Fort Stedman, one of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s final efforts to reverse his army’s fortunes before its abandonment of the city. While recovering in the hospital early the following month, Cook was captured, but on June 18 he was paroled and headed back to Georgia. He resumed his law practice and stayed active in politics, gaining election to the U.S. House of Representatives from 1873-1883. Cook spent 1883-1889 serving on the commission to build the state capitol in Atlanta, and in 1890 he was appointed Georgia’s Secretary of State. Cook held that position until his death on May 21, 1894. He was laid to rest in Rose Hill Cemetery at Macon, Georgia. In 1918, Cook County in Georgia was named in his honor. (Bio by Andrew Thayer)

Leadership: 3
Tactics: 3
Initiative: 2
Command: 4
Cavalry:

Teaches: Chargers

Start date: 86

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> CSA Brig Gen Philip Cook Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI