Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Northern Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> Northern Strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Northern Strategy - 8/1/2007 3:16:12 PM   
d714

TIPS FOR WINNING AS THE NORTH

I had posted this in my AAR where I played as the union and Gil suggested I quote this on the main forum to compliment Valdemar's post on Southern Strategy. Note that this takes under consideration the "southern hordes" issue that may be tweaked on a future patch:

1.) Do not fight toe to toe with the CSA army unless you have 3 to 1 advantage – At least until you have well trained troops, maybe by 1863. Their morale, weapons, leadership, will be superior until this time and you will get your butt kicked. Also confederate brigades are larger than yours.

2.) Try to get the CSA to attack you, not the other way around - You get some good advantages to being the defender. Most importantly you get to choose your defensive ground – see #5.

3.) Draft and muster – some disagree because the quality of troops are not there and you risk a city going into unrest. However I found it the only way to fight the “confederate hordes” problem. You can put them with a good general for a few turns to improve their quality. At the very least you can use them as cheap garrison troops for the provinces you conquered. Be aware of risk however, you don’t want to draft from a huge resource rich city like New York if they have 30% risk of unrest.

4.) Capture enemy brigades – The confederate AI builds so many camps that just inflicting casualties does not work, you will find them back to full brigade strength next turn. Usually you must surround an enemy brigade to compel them to surrender. If the CSA is close to routing move your brigades into column so you have the range to move your brigades around them and encircle them. Cavalry helps. Also chase down and eliminate those CSA containers because if you leave them alone with 3 depleted brigades they will be back in a month with 12 full strength brigades.

5.) Chose your ground well in detailed combat – In my opinion the game does not reflect defensive good ground well in terms of the high ground, or, for instance, “the sunken road” type of defensive hexes. What they do model well is movement. If you want to flank, or are outnumbered and are at risk of being flanked (which the AI loves to do) be aware of rivers, swamp, mud, etc and use them to protect your flanks. If you get a map with plenty of rivers or swamps you can forget about any numerical advantage you have. It will be very difficult to maneuver and extend your line. If you get to choose a map and you have the numerical advantage choose an open map without many rivers or woods, if you do not have the numerical advantage choose “many rivers, many woods”.

6.) Move in close in detailed combat – Again, you just can’t fight toe to toe with rebel troops and expect to win. The best you can do is approach from the front to pin a CSA unit down in place, do not even bother to engage from the front, but approach another unit on the flank and engage with that one. Keep your brigades together from the same division – you get a boost to your flanking attacks.

7.) Watch your supply carefully in detailed combat – The AI has this advantage as they must use some complex algorithm to determine exactly which of their brigades to supply at any given time. I rarely see an AI unit go out of supply. Keep a good eye on your brigade supplies, I had to click on each brigade each turn to check supply levels. A pain to do, but you will be at a severe combat disadvantage if they fall out of supply. Also be aware of the penalties for fatigued troops. Most of the time they will be pinned in combat, but if you can move them back do it and move a fresh brigade into line.

8.) Shift your resources carefully. I had plenty of iron and horses, I am not sure if that was because I set the historical setting. But I always had a shortage of money and, to a lesser extent, labor. Also weapons. Don’t be afraid to shift resources from labor to money, or to impress funds from the states (at the risk of aggravating the governors). By late1863 resources should not be a problem at all. Also, to increase money, put some of your armies on “no supply” for a turn or two if they are not facing combat.

9.) What to build – during the early years I built camps, mints, armories, hospitals where my troops were stationed, arsenals because I had a tough time competing with the CSA weapons improvements, and at least one of each of the research buildings in the first 4 months or so. Mustered as much as I could (didn’t start drafting until later) to save money and built a few artillery and cavalry units.

10.) Don’t bother digging in unless you have brigades with the “no fatigue” quality. I just did not find the benefits worth it. Must of my brigades end up fatigued after I dug in and then the CSA would just flank around the trenches. Wish this was modeled better in this game because in the war digging-in was extremely effective, even in the beginning of the war (remember Lee was nicknamed “the king of spades” back in 1862.

11.) Best advancements: a.) Invalid corps – gives you a 33% boost to replacements from your camps. You’ll need them. b.) Moisture proof cartridges – I lost a major battle due to rain. c.) Extended service – this increases corps size by 20%, from 3,000 to 3,600 so at least you got a fighting one on one chance against a CSA brigade. d.) Fortification and siege technique improvements – because during the later part of the game you will be engaging in tons of sieges. E.) Improved Springfields – big improvement over regular springfields and at a certain point you will run out of regular springfields and pay a premium for them, these will actually be cheaper. F.) Dragoon tactics – if you have cavalry, lets them attack as much as three times in a turn, can be devastating to be on the receiving end of this.

12.) Consider an amphibeous attack into South Carolina (not New Orleans - the CSA AI will push you back into the sea). It can work. For me it was the turning point of the war. The key here is to move another smaller division from the north into undefended CSA provinces to link up with your coastal unit, thus you can "officially" occupy the province and expand outwards.
Post #: 1
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/1/2007 5:19:50 PM   
Gray_Lensman

Pretty good guide, except I think 12 is rather gamey, regarding having a small division from the north move thru undefended provinces just to get around the "expansion" limits. Historically, it would not have been feasible, but hey it's your game.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 8/1/2007 5:23:58 PM >

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to d714)
Post #: 2
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/1/2007 5:55:37 PM   
General Quarters

Very nice post! The first extended strategy analysis in this forum.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 3
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/1/2007 7:37:10 PM   
Yogi the Great

Thanks for the post - good food for thought.

I did note that it does again show that the CSA "hordes" and other advntages do need to clearly be toned down as discussed in the upcoming patch if we want to get closer to historical situation.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 4
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/1/2007 7:44:37 PM   
d714

Yogi - I've read that the developers are going to "tweak" the CSA hordes issue.

General Quarters - thank you, I think Valdemer gave an excellent "southern strategy" guide a few weeks ago.

Gray Lensman - regarding 12. Yeah I guess it could be an exploit to move units into undefended territory way into the south. On the other hand you still engage in risks of having a whole division being cut off. There is no guarantee the AI may take an interest in this and cut you off from the union lines. Historically, you had cavalry brigades venturing way behing each others lines so you can consider it in that respect.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/2/2007 4:03:14 AM   
Gray_Lensman

D17 - On the scale of this game, historically there were really only two large scale expansions from the coast areas, New Orleans and Georgia, and both were initiated by the arrival or joining together of much larger land forces than lone divisions or cavalry units. The first being down the Mississippi River, then into Mississippi, the second Sherman's march thru Georgia to the sea than up thru South Carolina and North Carolina. I would imagine that is why the rule limiting expansion is there. Although, I sometimes wonder if the USA had the actual capability to land a large enough invasion force and keep it in supply enough for large scale expansion in the early/middle stages of the war. No question it could have near the end of the war, however.

You've GOT to hold them back!

(in reply to d714)
Post #: 6
RE: Northern Strategy - 8/2/2007 10:13:36 PM   
General Quarters

Thanks, I missed Valdemar's posting and went back and read it. It is really excellent also. Glad we now have a matched set.

(in reply to d714)
Post #: 7
RE: Northern Strategy - 11/12/2007 8:17:21 AM   
Gil R.

(Bumped for Critter and other new players)

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 8
RE: Northern Strategy - 12/11/2007 5:23:51 AM   
Gil R.

(Bumped again)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Northern Strategy - 12/12/2007 9:55:07 PM   
pzpat

I'm starting my first game as the North (after a few as the South), with the balanced scenario.  In viewing the troops I noticed that the inf brigades were quite often small and inexperienced.  I also noticed that the garrison troops were larger (3,000 men vs. 2,000), and with an experience level of 2.0 were better quality troops than many inf brigades, so I started swapping units and renaming the garrison units that I put in my containers.  Does anyone feel that this is too much gaming the system?
    Having been on the giving end of many Confederate detailed combat victories I think that a wide practice of spending population points to create cannon fodder is misdirected.  My new tactic will be to raise trained units and combine them into attacking armies and leave the cannon fodder for defensive positions like the Potomac.  As of Sept '61 I already have built an arty bde at 4.20 and an inf bde at 4.90, in addition to the beginning legendary units.  (Even as the South I had questions about the realism of giving even highly trained units higher quality ratings than those of units that had been in actual combat for a year.) I'm going to try mustering for one turn to see if I get any more legendary units.
    I have read that some people think that the US has enough money at the start, but between camps (reinforcements are 1100 per turn), mansions (most of my cities are almost built out), research (my beginning logistics research, for example, is at 2!) and special abilities for some units (as sharpshooters) there is more to do than I can manage on my meager income, in addition to being practically without horses.
    I can see that my strategy will mirror that of the Russians in WWII.  Massive buildup with overwhelming attacks at weak points by Guards Shock Armies.  The balanced scenario should give the South the best opportunity to resist.  I only hope they don't preempt my attacks.  We'll see what happens. 

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 10
RE: Northern Strategy - 12/28/2007 10:49:13 AM   
Gil R.

(Bumping to the top for the benefit of new players.)

(in reply to pzpat)
Post #: 11
RE: Northern Strategy - 1/15/2008 8:38:44 PM   
Paper Tiger

No1 point for the north Use your navy.

Have a couple of divisions available to use as marines and use that navy to drop them on the southern coast and snipe at coastal cities. If you can then give them seige abilities. You can pick out the dregs from the army and use them if you like because these troops are purely there to try and snipe out cities then garrison them to prevent the Rebs taking them back without heavy losses. If the Rebs come looking for a fight in the open then you want to either evacuate the troops or you want them to be kicked back home. Couple of turns later you can pick them up and attack somewhere else.
This way the CSA has to detatch divisions from the front to try and chase down your raiding parties. That weakens the CSA armies and forces them to use rail capacity and supply. If you succeed in taking a city then that garrison brigade is gone and one brigade less in the CSA OOB. If you don't well the city isn't producing anything while you have units in the province. Even taking and garrisoning a fort is worth it, more so if the fort is "protecting" a city. Once you are garrisoning the fort the CSA has to get you out or lose the production of the city. Stick a nice big garrison in the fort and attack further along the coast. The CSA has to balance weakening his battle army too much and not losing his coastal cities.
You can effectively double the CSA's front line by forcing him to defend the coast.
Mustered and conscripted Union units are just fine for this so all those units you can generate early on can be very usefull.

And Don't forget to try and pillage and burn anytime you can, you may even get lucky and kill a plantation and reduce the CSA National Will by 1, get his NW down low enough and all those reinforcements from Camps will be reducing the morale of his fighting units.

< Message edited by Paper Tiger -- 1/15/2008 8:54:01 PM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Northern Strategy - 1/15/2008 11:22:47 PM   
Hard Sarge

10.) Don’t bother digging in unless you have brigades with the “no fatigue” quality. I just did not find the benefits worth it. Must of my brigades end up fatigued after I dug in and then the CSA would just flank around the trenches. Wish this was modeled better in this game because in the war digging-in was extremely effective, even in the beginning of the war (remember Lee was nicknamed “the king of spades” back in 1862.

I got to disagree with this idea, if you are being attacked, dig in, and dig in early, the only times I do not dig in, is when I am on a rush march

as you say, on the defence, you also get to pick your battle ground, pick a area that can not be flanked (when you can)

also, one trick you can try, if you have a unit that is a digger, have it build most of your trench line, while the rest, wait and rest

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 13
RE: Northern Strategy - 1/16/2008 12:23:56 AM   
meisterchow

I agree with you, Hard Sarge.  Every little bit helps!

I've also become quite fond of Medical Corps and Zouaves for attachments.  Zouaves gives a brigade a shot at a morale boost before the battle, thereby increasing its endurancein battle.  Medical Corps reduce the casualties taken (and help fight disease), thereby increasing its endurance in battle.  Sense a theme?  For me, it's about trying to offset the Confederates' better morale any way I can.  Several other options are good, so it's never cut and dried, but I try to have at least some Zouave brigades as a stiffener.

'Fear God and dread nought'
Coat of Arms Motto of Baron Fisher, of Kilverstone

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: Northern Strategy - 5/21/2008 6:15:22 AM   
Gil R.

Copied from a post by Erik Rutins elsewhere in the FOF forum:

quote:

If you're playing with the Advanced rules, the Union starts off with some big disadvantages in both detailed and quick combat. You need to overcome those before you can start beating the CSA in offensive battles. For Quick Combat:

- Build plenty of Academies early on to train up your Command Staff Ratings
- Never start a fight unless all your units are fully supplied AND have good disposition
- Look in the Appendices and choose research upgrades based on their effect on QC
- Get rid of containers with ratings that are abysmal and build new ones
- Make sure you create a Division/Corps/Army hierarcy ASAP with the best Army and Corp containers you can build so that they start training each other up
- Use the best leaders you can find
- Never force march unless you have to
- Don't attack the CSA on good defensive terrain for them if you can avoid it
- Move slowly and strategically as you advance, fortify EVERYTHING you take with a Level 1 Fort (can be built in 1 turn) to give yourself a defensive bonus when the CSA counter-attacks.
- Use amphibous attacks to keep the CSA from being able to concentrate everything on your land armies, make them defend their coastline as well.
- Read the QC chapter and re-read it a few times to really understand how the various effects work. Guns don't increase your chance of winning (salvo/countersalvo bonus), they just increase the casualties you cause.
- Salvo and Counter-Salvo bonuses are the key as they also determine how often you end up taking/causing morale checks, which ends up winning the battle
- Build plenty of artillery to cause extra casualties and knock your opponent's quality down over time
- Try to conserve your forces, look for small fights early on that can gain you some experience at relatively low risk

Regards,

- Erik

(in reply to meisterchow)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> The War Room >> Northern Strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI