Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Boardgame you would like to see on PC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Boardgame you would like to see on PC Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/21/2008 11:35:23 PM   
marcusm

Not counting Vassal engine and that sort of system.

What boardgame is your most wanted for PC conversion. Also,
what changes would you like to see in order to adapt it to PC?

My personal favorites would be :

-VG Pax Britannica
-VG Vietnam
-Junta
-Machiavelli (as I already mentioned).
Post #: 1
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/21/2008 11:51:19 PM   
sysrkm

quote:

ORIGINAL: marcusm

My personal favorites would be :

-VG Pax Britannica
-VG Vietnam
-Junta
-Machiavelli (as I already mentioned).

Hi Marcus,

I would love to see the following turned into a PC, TURN based game:

Steve Jackson Games - OGRE \ GEV
Steve Jackson Games - CAR WARS
AH - Starship Troopers

I can't keep my sons' attention long enough to play the board game versions of these games, but having them on a PC where the PC could do all the counter managment and combat resolution.

This is why I wish someone would update The Wargame Contruction Set games so I could run these on a PC and create my own counters for these games.
The only thing Wargame Construction Set might have a problem with is the GEV double movement.

I know Vassal can handle the counter problem, but you still have to pull out the rules every few minutes and that's just not something a 13 year old and an 11 year old attention span can handle any more.

Regards all,

Rob

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/21/2008 11:55:04 PM   
madgamer2

I have been into PCgames sense the Apple 2 and now I play almost all PC games because a lack of people to play and the difficulty of learning curves on board games in general, As I think about it there are many areas of board gaming that I would like to see or have seen (WitP) that would be good subjects for the PC there are very few board games themselves I think should or could be ported over to the PC.
There are some great and similar games that were a board game and now are on computer. The old SPI games Of TSS (Gettysburg) and Wellington's Victory (Waterloo) who's maps and scale are very much alike but the play is much different. I think when starting to design a PC game it is a good idea to check to see what has been done on the same subjuct be it computer or board but each has its own strong points akd week points. I think there are no board games out there I would try to change because of the different types of media involved.

Madgamer

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 3
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/21/2008 11:55:33 PM   
marcusm

I agree about Steve Jackson games. I think most of them would adapt well to PC.
Well they sort of did since Car Wars has seen some variants ;).

What a great game designer he is.

Can someone with more insight explain this btw. Why didn't he ever invest in computer game designing? I see him just as talented as Sid Meier in understand what makes a game "tick". I think it was a wasted opportunity for him.

< Message edited by marcusm -- 1/22/2008 12:00:49 AM >

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 4
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 12:05:24 AM   
madgamer2

H Rob,
OGRE was a computer game. I remember OGRE and have a great story about it. A computer wiz who was a friend of mine had read in the manual that any atempt to copy the game could end in total disaster with the statement in large bold red letters "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"
He proudly told a friend and myself that he made a copy of it. He put it into his system and the Pc churned away for awhile then his hard drive light came on and a message came on a little later that said "YOU WERE WARNED"
It wiped his hard drive clean and ruined the copy of the game as well. There are folks who have good reasons for wanting the ability to move games from the board to the computer but for me I don't need that sort of conversion.

Madgamer

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 5
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 12:08:04 AM   
marcusm

Straight conversions usually works bad, just like straight book to movie conversions tend to fail.
Adaptions however can. If the strengths and weaknesses of the PC is taken into account.

I don't have them myself but i Have heard great things about the XBOX360 conversions of Catan and Carcassonne.
Maybe PC could see more of that too?

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 6
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 3:49:02 AM   
Skeleton

A World At War, with an A.I. that left no need for PBEM. I can dream can't I???

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 7
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 5:47:56 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer

H Rob,
OGRE was a computer game. I remember OGRE and have a great story about it. A computer wiz who was a friend of mine had read in the manual that any atempt to copy the game could end in total disaster with the statement in large bold red letters "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"
He proudly told a friend and myself that he made a copy of it. He put it into his system and the Pc churned away for awhile then his hard drive light came on and a message came on a little later that said "YOU WERE WARNED"
It wiped his hard drive clean and ruined the copy of the game as well. There are folks who have good reasons for wanting the ability to move games from the board to the computer but for me I don't need that sort of conversion.

Madgamer

Can't be fully true. You could sue any company then and now who so willfully destroyed anything of yours even if you were guilty of piracy. More likely a combination of embellishment and coincidence at best.

However, somewhat ironincally to me, Steve Jackson is the center of the most awesomely bad thing to ever happen to a game company (That I know of)......

An armed Raid by the Secret Service... And subsequentely the sueing of the Secret Service and actually Winning!

http://www.sjgames.com/SS/

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 8
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 6:14:00 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: sysrkm
AH - Starship Troopers

I'm assuming you mean the AH '76 Randall Reed version and not the '96 AH Movie Version? If so then I definitely agree.

I'd also like to see AH Games such as Britannia and Titan (Plausible suggestions since both have rights floating out and about outside Hasbro)

As well as revisitations of Advanced Civilization, 5th Fleet, and so on...

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 9
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 11:54:14 AM   
marcusm

Wow. Sounds like something from a Hollywood movie. Maybe they should make one of those "As it happened" type of
tv-shows :).

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 10
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 1:20:14 PM   
Rooster

Veldor do you know about Colossus?

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/  It's Titan for your computer, basically.

I'd like to see Clash of Monarchs (yet to be released) for the PC.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 11
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 1:49:51 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

Victory in the Pacific.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 12
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 2:19:38 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Victory in the Pacific.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Hey Eddy, I'll be glad to dust off my copy and have a go!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 13
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 4:42:06 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

Victory in the Pacific.

Hey Eddy, I'll be glad to dust off my copy and have a go!

Next time I come over to the States - the boardgame doesn't really adapt well to PBEM and things like VASSAL because there's so much player interaction in the movement & combat routines - which is exactly why it would make such a good candidate for a boardgame to pc conversion. As a 2-player pc game it would rock as there's rarely a dead moment in the game. None of that waiting around for your opponent for half an hour to finish his move and other things which inhibit fluent multiplay in online wargames.

I've looked at it from a programming pov and any decent programmer can build a no-AI, multi-player only VitP pc game in 6 months to a year. If you compare it with boardgames like World in Flames or Empires in Arms it's a much better choice for a conversion than those two.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 14
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 5:22:43 PM   
HansBolter

Those are the same aspects that made it so much fun F2F. Unlike Scorched Earth or Longest Day you aren't forced to entertain yourself for 2-3 hours while you "observe" your opponents move. VitP and War at Aea were fast paced games full of non stop fun.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 15
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 9:13:21 PM   
lancerunolfsson

I'd like to see some games like the old SPI quads. Napoleon at War, Blue and Grey, Modern Battles etc.. Games where the whole French army at Waterloo is less than 50 units (Brigades or divisions?). Transparent rules that are about 4 to 6 pages long. It would probably be possible to write a decent AI for something like that.

If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 16
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 9:15:38 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancerunolfsson

I'd like to see some games like the old SPI quads. Napoleon at War, Blue and Grey, Modern Battles etc.. Games where the whole French army at Waterloo is less than 50 units (Brigades or divisions?). Transparent rules that are about 4 to 6 pages long. It would probably be possible to write a decent AI for something like that.

ahhh...Battles for the Ardennes Quad....my all time favorite regimental level Bulge game!

(in reply to lancerunolfsson)
Post #: 17
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 9:39:52 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

AH - Starship Troopers

Yes, the Arachnids are prime territory for the AI. I've always wanted to tackle that one myself.

Add to that:

AH's Tobruk - With terrain !
Battlelines Flattop, (I suppose the AH version would be OK too) Double Blind Finally !
VG's (?) Air Strike/Air Superiority - Fun turn based games with modern hardware.

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 18
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 9:49:37 PM   
Joram

quote:

Hi Marcus,

I would love to see the following turned into a PC, TURN based game:

Steve Jackson Games - OGRE \ GEV
Steve Jackson Games - CAR WARS
AH - Starship Troopers

I can't keep my sons' attention long enough to play the board game versions of these games, but having them on a PC where the PC could do all the counter managment and combat resolution.

This is why I wish someone would update The Wargame Contruction Set games so I could run these on a PC and create my own counters for these games.
The only thing Wargame Construction Set might have a problem with is the GEV double movement.

I know Vassal can handle the counter problem, but you still have to pull out the rules every few minutes and that's just not something a 13 year old and an 11 year old attention span can handle any more.

Regards all,

Rob

Hey Rob, if you like Car Wars you might want to check out Dark Wind. It's not Car Wars but it is inspired in some way by it. It's free to try so might as well check it out.

Anyway, back to the question, some of my favorites like World in Flames are already being ported. If only the AI will turn out to be decent, I'd be set.

I disagree there has been any PC game as good as SL/ASL and am waiting for that to come out.

I'd like to see some wargames like Fortress Europa, Blitzkrieg and a better Third Reich (though there are enough of this type it's probably ok not to remake).

War and Peace though if EIA AI ever gets patched up I might consider getting that.

I'd really like to see Kingmaker turned into a good PC game. I loved that game but could never find opponents for it.

Afrika Korps has been done in various ways but none of them ever really caught the flavor of the boardgame for me.

For family games, Rail Baron would be cool as would some of the Mayfair games like Empire Builder or EuroRails. There are some really good rail games out there for the computer already (like RT3) but if we were recreating the boardgame, those would be cool too.

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 19
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/22/2008 11:54:13 PM   
ezzler

Actually I thought kingmaker was a pretty good boardgame to PC conversion.

Fortress Europa ..agreed
junta .. would just love it..
war At Sea
Blitzkrieg
Federation & Empire
Ambush
Sniper
B17 queen of the skies { with squadrons as it would play 20 times faster without all that die rolling }
Silent War
Paths of glory
Airforce/Dauntless
Defence of rourkes Drift
titan
Sink the Bismark
Assault on Hoth
Vietnam
The Civil War
Battlecars
Raid on saint Nazaire
Hunt for red October
Boot Hill
Gladiator

And of course ASL and luckily enough WIF / Patton in Flames

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 20
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 12:13:20 AM   
andym

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Actually I thought kingmaker was a pretty good boardgame to PC conversion.

junta .. would just love it..
B17 queen of the skies { with squadrons as it would play 20 times faster without all that die rolling }
Defence of rourkes Drift

Vietnam
The Civil War
Boot Hill
Gladiator

And of course ASL and luckily enough WIF / Patton in Flames

couldnt agree more,especially KINGMAKER,i stillhave my near mint copy with the expansion kit in my Loft!!!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 21
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 12:25:36 AM   
marcusm

Btw. Was there ever a good boardgame on the English/Irish Civil War? I wonder
why there are so few games covering this major event.

Would like to see something strategic on PC nevertheless.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 22
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 1:08:41 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

I also vote for Starship Troopers! Leave no one behind!! Kill the bugs!!! I need my ST officers!!

Remember the Rodger Young!!

KED

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 23
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 1:23:08 AM   
lancerunolfsson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ahhh...Battles for the Ardennes Quad....my all time favorite regimental level Bulge game!

I actually have that one and have not tried it yet. I have a re match of "Destrution Of Army Group Center" This Saturday night. Maybe we will try one of the Ardennes quads on the following week.

If you are near Medford Oregon Check out,

http://lancerunolfsson.googlepages.com/home
(Also some free Downloadable Miniature Rules and a Free Downloadable 7YW Board Game)

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 24
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 8:59:25 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

AH - Starship Troopers

Great choice.

The original, though, lacked a feel for the "there's bazillions of them and only a few of us" atmosphere from the book.

And where did that pseudo-Arachnid "looks suspiciously like something out of a 'War of the Worlds' movie Martian ray gun unit" come from?

I'd also like to see a lot of the old VG titles worked up as computer games (AH's attempt at 5th Fleet was lame), although I suspect that Matrix would be pretty skeptical after EiA and WiF.

"Ambush" and "Battle Hymn" with a full-feature scenario generator (you enter conditions and the editor creates the scenario, kind of like how Colonization creates a "New World" to play in), anyone?

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 25
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 2:14:17 PM   
Adraeth

- Republic of Rome with a proper IGOUGO system and different AI approaches to the match and challenging

- Friedrich (best strategy game of 2006) with AI

By now i will say those games, and it is normal that i intend with a really challenging AI, the graphics might be the same of the boardgame, no problems on that ^^

www.histwar.fr/
---
Periods i like: age of muskets, napoleonics, modern combat.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 26
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 6:45:06 PM   
mdiehl

I'd like to see the GBACW series SPI/TSR boardgames as a computer game. Also WS&IM, Submarine, and Starship Troopers (original), all in IGO-YUGO rather than real time format.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Adraeth)
Post #: 27
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 6:52:51 PM   
bradfordkay

For me the number one choice would be Avalon Hill's Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series (Stonewall Jackson's Way, Road to Richmond, etc).

After that would be the Victory Game's Fleet series (6th Fleet, 5th Fleet, etc.).

BTW, Mdiehl, WSIM and Submarine would be best done in a WEGO format instead of IGO, YUGO. After all, that's how they were done in board game mode - why mess with a winning system?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 28
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/23/2008 8:49:50 PM   
andym

Ahhhhh VG's Fleet series,an absoloute cracking series of games.Good rules and simple to play but complex enough for non beginners.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 29
RE: Boardgame you would like to see on PC - 1/24/2008 12:23:53 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

BTW, Mdiehl, WSIM and Submarine would be best done in a WEGO format instead of IGO, YUGO.

True. My bad for being imprecise. I started by listing the GBACW series (which is IGO/YUGO) and thinking about the contrast between it and the real-time ACW games that don't hold my interest. But yeah, Submarine and WS&M are WEGO (which makes them that much easier to implement as a computer game).

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Boardgame you would like to see on PC Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI