Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any Idea What Happened Here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any Idea What Happened Here? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/22/2008 3:59:02 PM   
ravinhood

Well there I was playing my game of Guild Wars and all of a sudden black total shut down of my computer. I mean shutdown. lol I tried to turn it back on like when this happens when it overheats and nothing not even a click like that sound you would hear in space...nothing. So I thought it might be my power supply and I always keep an extra so's I puts that one in and walla it boots up like nothing happened. Well I didn't lock everything down (screws and stuff you know that you leave loose when you're messin with your computer). So, I shut down my system and locked everything down and turned it on and a small blueish flash near the middle screw of the mother board appeared for a split second and then the black void of nothingness again. I'm like wow two blown power supplies in one fell swoop? No Way. So's I decide the mother board has some issues and probably need to replace it, it's like 4 years old now. But, before that I decide to clean it up...lotta dust in there after 4 years lol. Nah not really, but, a little, I keep my system pretty clean. So, I get all my brushes, I have toothbrush and shoe brush and barber brush and cleaned it up real good. Radiant and all everywhere. Then I said what the heck it doesn't take that much effort to take it out again and decided to reinstall it and try once more. Welp now it's up and running again an no blueish ligntning bolts running around in there. But, I am getting a "file is missing in your registry had to use a log or previous save to fix" and it boots up and everything is working again....for now.....

Any idea what happened here? Why do I hve a missing file all of a sudden in my registry and better yet what file is it? lol

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Post #: 1
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/22/2008 4:22:19 PM   
JudgeDredd

no idea

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 2
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/22/2008 4:51:12 PM   
Gem35

More than likely your motherboard has a short and it may be a good idea to completely remove your hardware and clean out your case. Sometimes when your machine shuts down you can "corrupt" your windows installation, perhaps a fresh install is in order as well.
I build alot of computers and for me, I try and be as safe and as complete as possible. Rebuild and reinstall to be sure you don't have any more problems.
Good luck.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/22/2008 5:46:39 PM   
PunkReaper

Probably hit by a splat spell, that Guild Wars crowd can be a tough lot!

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 4
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/22/2008 9:47:43 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Well there I was playing my game of Guild Wars and all of a sudden black total shut down of my computer. I mean shutdown. lol I tried to turn it back on like when this happens when it overheats and nothing not even a click like that sound you would hear in space...nothing. So I thought it might be my power supply and I always keep an extra so's I puts that one in and walla it boots up like nothing happened. Well I didn't lock everything down (screws and stuff you know that you leave loose when you're messin with your computer). So, I shut down my system and locked everything down and turned it on and a small blueish flash near the middle screw of the mother board appeared for a split second and then the black void of nothingness again. I'm like wow two blown power supplies in one fell swoop? No Way. So's I decide the mother board has some issues and probably need to replace it, it's like 4 years old now. But, before that I decide to clean it up...lotta dust in there after 4 years lol. Nah not really, but, a little, I keep my system pretty clean. So, I get all my brushes, I have toothbrush and shoe brush and barber brush and cleaned it up real good. Radiant and all everywhere. Then I said what the heck it doesn't take that much effort to take it out again and decided to reinstall it and try once more. Welp now it's up and running again an no blueish ligntning bolts running around in there. But, I am getting a "file is missing in your registry had to use a log or previous save to fix" and it boots up and everything is working again....for now.....

Any idea what happened here? Why do I hve a missing file all of a sudden in my registry and better yet what file is it? lol

Well, arcing indicates a buildup of charge in a place that wasn't meant for it. Bad ground would potentially cause it.

Maybe your reinstall of the mobo reestablised the ground ?

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 5
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/23/2008 12:17:26 AM   
ravinhood

Interesting stuff, never knew that about grounding. Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall XP though cause this isn't a file IN the registry it's the registry data file itself and it's bring recalled from a log file I guess from restore computer area.

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/23/2008 10:34:34 AM   
Veldor

Since its winter you might just have really dry air. Perhaps a humidifier? Static charges build up much faster in the winter without at least a moderate amount of moisture in the air. Your skin will also be drier and might even crack. Some people even get itchy. Outside of that it'd have to be grounding of the power supply or motherboard to the case. Faulty gear would seem the least likely to me...

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/23/2008 5:16:58 PM   
ravinhood

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge guys. It appears to be ok again after the overhaul I gave it. The video card though is still acting kinda funny. It seems to have issues with being locked down. If I release the screw that binds it to the case it works fines. When I lock it down (tighten it up) it goes blank and nothing loads until I losen the screw and jiggle the board around then everything loads fine (Last time I buy a PONY video card man these things have been nothing but trouble and I've not had a one last thru the warranty so far). lol and Last time I buy a korean motherboard. The first one I had of this series worked great, but, this one has been a pain in my side (an other places lol). This is what I mean about moving to consoles. I wish Matrixgames and a few of the others would move to consoles so I can get rid of this problem child PC. They are bulky take up a lot of space, have issues of some sort with games every other one these days and are loud with the rom whirring and the power supply fan running and the processor fan spurring on and lets not forget when the hard drive(s) are hard at it. lol Come on Matrixgames give us some console wargames. ;)

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 8
RE: Any Idea What Happened Here? - 1/24/2008 9:21:30 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge guys. It appears to be ok again after the overhaul I gave it. The video card though is still acting kinda funny. It seems to have issues with being locked down. If I release the screw that binds it to the case it works fines. When I lock it down (tighten it up) it goes blank and nothing loads until I losen the screw and jiggle the board around then everything loads fine (Last time I buy a PONY video card man these things have been nothing but trouble and I've not had a one last thru the warranty so far). lol and Last time I buy a korean motherboard. The first one I had of this series worked great, but, this one has been a pain in my side (an other places lol). This is what I mean about moving to consoles. I wish Matrixgames and a few of the others would move to consoles so I can get rid of this problem child PC. They are bulky take up a lot of space, have issues of some sort with games every other one these days and are loud with the rom whirring and the power supply fan running and the processor fan spurring on and lets not forget when the hard drive(s) are hard at it. lol Come on Matrixgames give us some console wargames. ;)

...sounds like mobo to me.....

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Any Idea What Happened Here? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI