Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Democracy >> RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 12:01:19 AM   
SaltySteed

I did get the refund. It was prompt and polite. I failed to read the Website before buying.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 31
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 5:17:53 AM   
mkjhartmann

Well,

sorry about the fanboy stuff about Matrix download systems. I think they stink.

I owned a bunch of Matrix games, including my favorite Operational Art of War, but got a new computer. I repeatedly sent my purchase codes requesting new download links, only to be glibly sent by Matrix to Digital River that told me that after 30 days I had to pay more money to download again. So please don't tell me how great this system is, it's not!

As a matter of fact I have serial numbers out the wazoo that I can't reinstall because they still ask for more money. How hard is it to store and make a download accessable? Oh, sorry that might take 30 minutes in database development as opposed to ripping the customers for more money! Thanks Matrix and DIGITAL RIVER.

Mike

(in reply to SaltySteed)
Post #: 32
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 6:28:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

Mike,

We allow re-download for 30 days unless you purchase the "download insurance", in which case it's two years. Why would you delete your installers before installing them on your new system? Did you not keep any backups?

Digital River mandated that change, but we did get them to "grandfather" in all purchases before that change to have no re-download time limit. TOAW III came out after that change, but if you purchased games from us before 2006, they should still be accessible.

Seriously though, we tell you in the store that it's only available for 30 days after you buy it unless you get the download insurance and we encourage our customers it seems like daily to backup their games. With all that said, I'm sure that I can get you an additional download if you send me your order info. Sounds like our support folks gave you the standard answer, which is what they should do, but we also try to go the extra mile whenever possible.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mkjhartmann)
Post #: 33
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 8:39:06 AM   
pasternakski

There is no reason to criticize Matrix for its digital download system. Granted, Digital River is not perfect, but they are competent, at least. Matrix staff, as has been demonstrated on these forums literally thousands of times, is absolutely the best in terms of customer service (rivaled only by the AGEod frogs).

Fer chrissake, when you download a game, do the following immediately (even before firing the game up to play it):

1. Burn it to a CD. Add a screenshot of your order confirmation screen (so that your serial number is included on the CD).
2. Using an indelible marker, write your serial number on the face of the CD (so that, if anything goes haywire, you still have your serial number).
3. Burn another, identical CD and archive it someplace safe.

Oh. Never use CD-RWs.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 34
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 10:34:50 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: mkjhartmann

Well,

I owned a bunch of Matrix games, including my favorite Operational Art of War, but got a new computer. I repeatedly sent my purchase codes requesting new download links, only to be glibly sent by Matrix to Digital River that told me that after 30 days I had to pay more money to download again. So please don't tell me how great this system is, it's not!

As a matter of fact I have serial numbers out the wazoo that I can't reinstall because they still ask for more money. How hard is it to store and make a download accessable? Oh, sorry that might take 30 minutes in database development as opposed to ripping the customers for more money! Thanks Matrix and DIGITAL RIVER.

Mike

What's with the fanboy tag? There is absolutely nothing fanboyish about it.

I like the system because I download, I burn I get a serial and that's it. Serial is safe. Download is burned (on two disks) and safe. If I lose those, then it's through my fault...nothing to do with Matrix and there policy or business strength. I have never had a problem buying from Matrix, ever. And it seems to me you haven't either...the only problem you have is your lack of initiative.

I'm not saying people don't have the occasional issue with a purchase. More often than not, the problems are to do with immediate release and server/shop not being in sync, from what I gather. But once the download has been made, it's peoples responsibility to make sure they protect their purchase. All the facilities are at hand to do so. You have a self extracting exe file, serial numbers and, if you choose to purchase it, a physical disk.

It isn't really Matrix fault that you didn't look after your purchase, is it? What is being mentioned here is businesses taking your right to use what you purchased away from you where online activation requires you to connect to activate and the suggestion being if ca company goes out of business that has this policy, then you could be up the creek without a paddle.

Matrix gives you everything you need to have that game for decades after purchase whether they are in business or not. Is it really their fault you didn't burn to a cd or dvd? Is it their fault your dog ate your A4 scrap of paper with the serial numbers on? One would think not.

In short, I resent the fanboy accusation just because you were too shortsighted to look after your purchase.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 1/23/2008 10:37:14 AM >

Alba gu' brath

Post #: 35
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 10:44:13 AM   
marcusm

Well it shows that no system is perfect at least. I like Steam because my games stay for as long as I need them.

Not that it mattes that much. What is 30 dollars really? Buying WitP twice might hurt a bit though :).

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 36
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 10:55:05 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well we didn't need accusations of being a fanboy from mkjhartmann to know that no system is perfect, on that we can safely agree.

But his example was no-one elses fault but his own.

My point is, which he actually helps to strengthen, that if Matrix no longer trade from tomorrow...I can still play/install everyone of my games. If the company who sold me Armed Assault go under, I could be left high and dry if I wanted to reinstall.

Of course, you are correct in that $30 isn't alot...but the games I buy cost an average of £25...so that's $50 (some less, some more).

But something we can agree on...most games have a pretty short shelf life with regards playing time. There are not many games I go back to. But, being as I bought it, I like the idea that I could if I wanted....which is why I won't buy anymore digital download with online activation.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 37
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 5:28:28 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

What's with the fanboy tag? There is absolutely nothing fanboyish about it.

Judge: He's not even worth a reply. The opposite of a fanboy would be an outcast? Anybody that hasn't learned PC-101 should not be using a computer to begin with.

PC-101 = Backup, backup, and backup.
Matrix Activation Codes = Unlimited installs if you observed PC-101.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 38
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 6:09:19 PM   
Ike99

quote:

Well,

Mike

I don´t see how you can say it stinks when it´s the best there is.

When I buy a Matrix title I download it. Burn 2 copies on 2 CD´s with title, case and serial numbers written on them. One case goes in a drawer for safe storage and the other goes in the desk the PC sits on and I use that one. I make two copies incase the one I´m using gets cracked, or whatever and breaks it.

Never had a single problem losing a title doing this. I suggest you do the same and everyone else.

Now this certainly beats online activation with limited number of activations, hidden spyware, hidden advertisements and your email flooded with spam in spades.

edit- As pasternakski said too. You really won´t find better customer service. I say this not to sound like a commercial so much but because it is true.

< Message edited by Ike99 -- 1/23/2008 6:12:31 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 39
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 7:41:12 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ike99

I don´t see how you can say it stinks when it´s the best there is.

When I buy a Matrix title I download it. Burn 2 copies on 2 CD´s with title, case and serial numbers written on them. One case goes in a drawer for safe storage and the other goes in the desk the PC sits on and I use that one. I make two copies incase the one I´m using gets cracked, or whatever and breaks it.

Never had a single problem losing a title doing this. I suggest you do the same and everyone else.

Now this certainly beats online activation with limited number of activations, hidden spyware, hidden advertisements and your email flooded with spam in spades.

edit- As pasternakski said too. You really won´t find better customer service. I say this not to sound like a commercial so much but because it is true.

Hey Ike! I do almost the same. Backup to an external hard drive (250gb) that only holds backups. Make another backup to a DVD with tons of other games. Then to a CD. Serial numbers from the original email is with all three backups plus on the CD in plain view. I print out the original email with the serial number and store that in a file cabinet. Hey, PC-101, I learned the hard way!

I read articles in the late 1980's and early 1990's that said the best way to back up is with three copies. I thought that was a waste, then one day I found out why, the hard way and I have never strayed from using three.

Now where did I put those keys...

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 40
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/23/2008 10:01:07 PM   
SaltySteed

mkjhartmans problem may have been due to the damage done to ones perceptions using Steam or the likes.  When one uses these, an web based service installer loads your games for you.  You never really have the binary of the install program.  Matrix gives you that installer but mkjhartman may not have understood what he really had and trashed it.  You get the real deal and not a web install service.

< Message edited by SaltySteed -- 1/23/2008 10:06:25 PM >

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 41
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 1/24/2008 7:11:47 AM   
Ingtar

I like your distribution system, but lately, as was the case with Democracy, I've not really cared for the product once I had it.

(in reply to Ike99)
Post #: 42
RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. - 3/7/2008 3:24:34 AM   
SoulBlazer

Just to add my own two cents, I buy games all the time from Direct2Drive and GamersGate.  They also, like Matrix, allow you to download the full game and give a serial number to activate it.  And like Matrix, if you ever need the serial number again, just send them a e-mail.  It's true D2D has a limited number of activations, but a simple e-mail to them clears that up.

Also, totally agree with the others that downloading is the way to go IF you make a hard copy of the game and serial number.  Still, with Matrix games I pay the extra $3 to get the insurance to download for two years, just in case.  (I don't believe that either D2D or GG has a time limit....as long as they are around, you can log in and download your game again)

I much prefer downloading games as opposed to buying them, just due to convience sake (and it's cheaper to buy a digital copy).  I'll support Matrix and D2D and GG as long as they are around, and hope they stay around for a long time.

Geesh, I just reazlied how old this was.  Sorry.

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to Ingtar)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Democracy >> RE: Tried ver 2 and am requesting refund. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI