Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Malta scenarios?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Malta scenarios? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Malta scenarios? - 8/5/2007 2:32:34 PM   
dsawan

Hi, anyone know of ant malta scenarios for West front to be used in this version by matrix games? I checked wargamer archive and nothing there. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/5/2007 6:30:03 PM   
1925frank

Jason Petho has one you can download from the Foster or Forster website.  The Foster or Forster name is in the thread.

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 2
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/5/2007 6:35:53 PM   
1925frank

I'm not computer savy enough to provide the link, but the cite is:  http://redarrowproductons.com/CSRC Home.htm (well wonder of wonders, look what happened when I typed it in).  The thread is Craig H. Foster's Campaign Series Resources on page 2.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 3
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/5/2007 7:01:32 PM   
Jason Petho

Here is an old site of mine that has some of my earlier scenarios available.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/pethocarto/wf.htm

Operazione C3 is the Malta scenario described above.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 4
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/5/2007 7:32:07 PM   
1925frank

There are six scenarios listed on your site, and, if you hit the back button, there appear to be other scenarios as well for East Front and Rising Sun.  East Front is broken down into two groups.  For download purposes, I'm assuming it would not make any difference.

Regarding the six scenarios, are none currently part of the Matrix Edition?

The Sea Lion scenario must be a stand-alone scenario, perhaps of the initial beach landings?

Could you provide a one-sentence summary of each of the six? 

I read "Fortress Malta" by James Holland, which was why I jumped on your Malta scenario when I saw it.  I haven't played it yet, but it's next in line.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 5
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/6/2007 4:13:11 AM   
Jason Petho

Operation Sea Lion - Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play. Depicts the first 12 hours of a landing in Kent, England (July 1940)

Rommel in England (July 1940)- Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play. Smaller than the above, depicts an attempted rescue of a trapped airborne force.

Operazione C3 (June 42) - Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play. Depicts an invasion of Malta based on June 42 plans.

Guerrillas in the Midst - Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play. England, commando's attacking Italian garrison. 1940

Hopeless has Hope in it - Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play. England, mopping up commando style operation. 1944

The End is Near - Hypothetical - Stand alone scenario - designed for H2H play.Malta - final battle for Valetta.

Since these are so old, I might update them and include them in a later patch as additional scenarios.

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 8/6/2007 4:15:04 AM >

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 6
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/6/2007 4:19:04 AM   
big dawg

Please update them Jason.  Thanks!  Jack

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 7
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/6/2007 7:17:19 PM   
1925frank

If not a royal pain, then perhaps at least I qualify as a plebeian pain.  The information I requested was already on the Craig F. Foster website.  Thank you for your patience, Jason.

I downloaded the LCG "The Wrath of Il Duce," and I'm in the third battle.  I don't want to prejudge "The Wrath of Il Duce" because I haven't finished it, but so far I would not recommend it.  I was taught to finish what I started, so I'll finish it.

I noticed there was another scenario where the Italians invade France, but I haven't downloaded it.

Has anyone else scenarios or LCGs they'd not recommend or, better yet, they would recommend for play against the AI?  I went for "The Wrath of Il Duce" because I was interested in the Italian/British conflict before the German intervention. 

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 8
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/7/2007 1:05:41 AM   
lparkh

LCGs in general? Bit unclear on question. Most of the LCGs that come with the products are good IMHO. I thought the german desert recon one was interesting. If you want a challenge try the Taifun (moscow 1941) one. Haven't been able to win that one but greatly enjoyed. I found the Pacific ones a bit too easy though interesting.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 9
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/7/2007 2:09:13 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

If not a royal pain, then perhaps at least I qualify as a plebeian pain.  The information I requested was already on the Craig F. Foster website.  Thank you for your patience, Jason.

I downloaded the LCG "The Wrath of Il Duce," and I'm in the third battle.  I don't want to prejudge "The Wrath of Il Duce" because I haven't finished it, but so far I would not recommend it.  I was taught to finish what I started, so I'll finish it.

I noticed there was another scenario where the Italians invade France, but I haven't downloaded it.

Has anyone else scenarios or LCGs they'd not recommend or, better yet, they would recommend for play against the AI?  I went for "The Wrath of Il Duce" because I was interested in the Italian/British conflict before the German intervention. 

Il Duce is a hypothetical LCG if I remember right....I too tried it many years ago and was also not impressed.

Fun fact: The designer of that LCG would however go on to develop a War in the Pacific mod called "WarPlan Orange". This mod must've impressed 2x3, because it would eventually become its own game.
Justin Prince is now a full-fledged 2x3 employee and is hard at work producing Carrier Strike.

As for my favoritie LCGs....
The Road to Moscow and Grossdeutschland for EF.
Hunter's From the Sky and Kampfgruppe Peiper for WF.
Spearhead for RS.

I challenge anyone to beat Hohenstaufen's Armored Fist for WF.....I will bow down to you and call you El Supremo Burrito if you can....

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 10
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/20/2007 6:24:40 AM   
1925frank

Thanks for the info, Juggalo and Iparkh. 

I got through six battles in "The Wrath of Il Duce," and then another battle was obviously contemplated, but there was some error that prevented it from loading.

I was glad to hear Justin Prince, who designed "The Wrath of Il Duce," went on to bigger and better things.  I liked the idea of taking on the Italian/British conflict before the German intervention.  The problem I had with "The Wrath of Il Duce" was that it looked like not only the designer's first LCG but also his first attempt at scenario construction with all the flaws that would come with that.  By the sixth battle, the map had at least improved considerably, but the battle itself remained unchallenging.  If you're interested in LCGs, this is one I'd let pass.  I wish someone had given me a heads up.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 11
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/20/2007 5:18:06 PM   
lparkh

Stastically probably not that many people had played it, and how many of those were back on these boards? So don't take lack of notification personally ;-)  Thank you though. It was a campaign I was thinking of playing someday. But I still have some "official" LCGs left. Working away at the tough nut of 10th Pz in Tunisia. Recommended but challenging. On my 3rd try on this LCG have finally made it to Kasserine.. gulp.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 12
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/20/2007 7:17:27 PM   
1925frank

No, I'm not taking it personally.  I guess I assumed a certain minimal quality with an LCG based upon the quality of the scenarios and the LCGs that come with the game, and I found myself disappointed.  One of the benefits of the forum is the exchange of this type of information.  Someone else may play "The Wrath of Il Duce" and like it, but I doubt it.

If "The Wrath of Il Duce" was the designer's first try at building scenarios and a LCG, I can give him a great deal of credit for ambition and the subject matter.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  For all I know, the designer went on to make some great scenarios and LCGs. 

DCGs may have been Talonsoft's way of providing quantity if not quality until a sufficient number of LCGs could be made.  An LCG would be a major time commitment.  Creating the scenarios would take a lot of time, but you'd also want play testing and then further modifications based upon that feedback.  I didn't have the impression "The Wrath of Il Duce" had been play tested.  "The Wrath of Il Duce" may have been an early LCG that, for want of anything better or due to the paucity of LCGs at the time, was acceptable.

Good luck on 10 Pz in Tunisia!

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 13
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/20/2007 7:32:25 PM   
lparkh

Thanks for your thoughts. Think the following is clear but just in case not FYI:
1) Duce -- some home brewed LCG not by Talonsoft
2) LCGs -- there are a LOT in the matrix addition, all good quality.  Scroll towards the bottom of DCGs in any given game. At least 5 or 6 for each of the games

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 14
RE: Malta scenarios? - 8/20/2007 7:56:56 PM   
1925frank

Correct.  "The Wrath of Il Duce" was a home-brewed LCG I pulled off Craig Foster's website.  I'm not knocking Craig Foster's website.  It's great.  I would strongly recommend going to his website.

I haven't counted, but I believe there are a number of LCGs that come with each of the three games -- West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun.  I haven't had any complaints with those that I've played. 

When Talonsoft released the Campaign Series in the late 1990s, I don't think there would have been nearly as many LCGs because of the labor involved.  And I'm thinking that may explain why "The Wrath of Il Duce" made it onto the website, because, at the time, the demand for LCGs may have exceeded the supply.  Now that there's more to pick and choose from, my recommendation is to pick something else.

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 15
RE: Malta scenarios? - 1/25/2008 9:38:58 AM   
Tankerace

Not to dredge up old threads but yes, I was the designed of that LCG. You are all right, it wasn't very impressive, and was both my first scenario and LCG for WF. Good God how many years ago did I design that thing. I was still a Freshman or Sophmore in high school at least.

Well, I do apologize for those who didn't like it. What can I say, it was my very first foray into the whole modding community. You can rest assured though, it would seem I've learned a few things since then

Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 16
RE: Malta scenarios? - 1/25/2008 1:20:23 PM   
sorrowman

No need to apologize....who gives a damn if your first efforts weren't so good back in the day. One's gotta start somewhere right :P....and besides....you know what they say...practice makes perfect, and given the short C.V. in your sig you've managed quite well since you took your first steps into the modding/scenario designing business ;)

"Steamroller Action Crushing All....
Victim Is Your Name And You Shall Fall"

(in reply to Tankerace)
Post #: 17
RE: Malta scenarios? - 1/25/2008 9:51:45 PM   
1925frank

I agree.  There's no need to apologize.  In the long run, it looks like the effort paid off handsomely.  Congratulations on War Plan Orange, Carrier Force, and Admiral's Edition.

I think it's great you took on such an ambitious project at that age.

(in reply to sorrowman)
Post #: 18
RE: Malta scenarios? - 1/25/2008 11:47:07 PM   
awc

Iparkh, do you happen to have a copy of the lcg taifun that you could send me to try out. if you could e-mail me it i would greatly appreciate it. Iam also trying to get a copy of the lcg something pz korps at kursk. Sorry i can't remember the number of the rest of the lcg. my e-mail address is awculp@yahoo.com, thanks.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Malta scenarios? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI