Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2008 9:29:23 PM   
cantona2

Classic!!!!!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2041
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2008 10:19:21 PM   
Terminus

Reminds me of the scene from the French camp the night before Agincourt in Henry V.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 1/22/2008 10:28:43 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2042
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2008 10:27:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

The Japanese still control the big airfield at Noumea, though it has been bombed and shelled to the point where it is unusable. The enemy has overrun the tiny strip at La Foa, but there are no facilities there and there is no sign that the enemy has tried to land any planes.

I finally got my question on LBA answered! It looks like the Americans have missed an opportunity . . .

Kudos again on the extraordinary research behind this!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2043
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2008 11:52:52 PM   
bradfordkay

" “That’s true. Two hundred men aboard, and at times like this every one of them is an admiral.” "

That last goes for the readers as well...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 1/22/2008 11:55:46 PM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2044
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 12:08:16 AM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

" “That’s true. Two hundred men aboard, and at times like this every one of them is an admiral.” "

That last goes for the readers as well...

I think it was meant at readers

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2045
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 1:29:46 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 3, 1943

Course: Southwest
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 390

Orders: Proceed south and engage enemy fleet off New Caledonia

---

It is still dark, but to the east a faint glow marks the coming of dawn. A signal light flashes from Shokaku’s bridge, and in answer the task force comes about. The carriers point their flight decks westward. One by one scout planes roar forward and lumber airborne into the predawn darkness. Across almost forty miles of ocean the other carrier groups are doing the same thing. Some forty planes fan out, most of them to the south and west, meeting the rising sun as they gain altitude.

Aboard Hibiki they have been through this before, more than once. The wait while their planes look for the enemy, the tense watch for any enemy planes that might discover them. Captain Ishii controls his impatience and resists the urge to haunt the radio room. If they hear anything relevant, he knows, they will tell him immediately.

The first reports that come in are disappointing; the waters immediately off the west coast of New Caledonia are at the moment clear of enemy ships. This is confirmed not only by search planes but by observers on the ground. There were ships there yesterday. They come and go, however, as they shuttle supplies and fresh troops ashore. Is this a coincidence, or did the enemy somehow know of their presence?

Then, at 0815 hours, comes a report that enemy ships have been spotted. A trio of destroyers is rounding the north tip of the island, about 180 miles to the west.

Captain Ishii utters an oath when he hears the news. “Pickets,” he says. “If the enemy didn’t know we were here before, they do now.”

“Do they?” asks Lieutenant Miharu. “They will have seen our planes, but how can they know they didn’t come from one of our airstrips in the area?”

“Because we are going to sink them,” predicts Ishii. “I don’t think we will let even a small force like this one escape. It will give away our strength and position the same as if we broadcast it to the enemy, but there you have it.”

“Regrettable,” comments the lieutenant.

“Yes, it is,” says Ishii shortly.

Ishii’s prediction is soon confirmed. When no other ships are found within range a substantial strike is sent after the enemy destroyers. These, reported as two American Mahan class and one British or Australian Tribal class, are quickly sunk.

More information comes in. There have been no enemy planes seen over Noumea all morning. An H8K out of Luganville spots a group of enemy transports southwest of New Caledonia and reports they are withdrawing at speed. Soon afterwards there are new orders from Shokaku. The carriers recover their aircraft and then the Japanese task forces turn southwest.

On Hibiki’s bridge Captain Ishii gives orders for the new course and speed. “We are pursuing?” asks Lieutenant Miharu. Ishii nods.

“So it appears,” he says, then smiles tightly. “The enemy wants to run, eh? Well, let’s see how fast they are.”

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 1/23/2008 1:31:30 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2046
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 1:45:07 AM   
Terminus

Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war!

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2047
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 7:47:41 PM   
John 3rd

Terminus:

Is that a quote from Star Trek VI or by some poor schmuck named Shakespeare?!  After all you've truly experienced Shakespeare until "you've read him in the original Klingon." 

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 1/23/2008 11:54:36 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2048
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 10:50:44 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

An H8K out of Luganville spots a group of enemy transports southwest of New Caledonia and reports they are withdrawing at speed. Soon afterwards there are new orders from Shokaku. The carriers recover their aircraft and then the Japanese task forces turn southwest.

Well, if all else fails, the Japanese CV's can always have a whack at Brisbane . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2049
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2008 10:54:41 PM   
String

Updaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaateeeeeeeeeeeeeee *groan* :D

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2050
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2008 12:27:00 AM   
Durbik

I hope Cuttlefish is not suspending the bad news about sin[censored letter]ing Hibiki?

obey the fist!

(in reply to String)
Post #: 2051
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2008 6:08:09 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 4, 1943

Fuel: 359

---

As the Japanese fleet approaches New Caledonia itself the fighting on the ground there continues unabated. Japanese forces continue to give ground and are slowly but steadily being pushed back towards the town of Noumea.

But the ocean around the island is free of any trace of enemy ships. The Japanese search in vain for targets, then press on to the southwest. It might still be possible to at least catch the slower transports before they reach the cover of the Allied air umbrella over New Zealand. The question, of course, is whether or not the enemy carriers and surface forces will linger to protect them.

---

Perhaps the ocean is not quite free of any trace of the enemy after all. As Hibiki cruises a precise 500 meters off the port side of Shokaku an object is spotted floating in the water. As it comes bobbing past the ship it is identified as a Coca-Cola bottle, and it looks as though there is a roll of paper inside.

On the very slim chance that the paper could contain something of intelligence value Captain Ishii orders it recovered. The ship circles, and on the second pass Chief Shun expertly snags it out of the water. The bottle is tightly sealed and has not been in the water long.

The paper is extracted. A small crowd gathers to read it, including a sleepy-eyed Lieutenant Miharu, who has been awakened to translate it if necessary.

There is a single sheet of paper inside, with a short line of text hand-printed in English. Lieutenant Miharu looks at it.

“It says ‘Tojo eats ****’”, he reports, and smiles slightly. “How nice.”

There is an angry murmuring from the assembled sailors.

“Oh yeah?” sputters Seaman Yoshitake. “Well…well…Babe Ruth eats ****!” The men nearby begin to laugh. Lieutenant Miharu and Chief Shun, who know their captain well, do not join in. And the laughter dies suddenly as some of the other men notice Ishii’s face. It is beginning to turn red with fury. There is a subtle but noticeable move away from Yoshitake, who suddenly stops laughing when he sees the captain.

“Uh oh,” he mutters to himself, and then the storm breaks.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2052
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2008 11:16:51 AM   
histgamer

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2053
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2008 12:02:33 PM   
Terminus

D'oh...

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2054
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2008 12:26:53 PM   
cantona2

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2055
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 1:25:49 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 5, 1943

Fuel: 312

---

The next morning brings with it overcast skies. The clouds are not enough, however, to conceal the rear echelon of the retreating Allied fleet from the searching Japanese. It is only a handful of ships. These are, it would seem, vessels that suffered damage at New Caledonia, whether from mines, coastal batteries, or aircraft, and cannot make enough speed to stay ahead of their pursuers.

Then, for one morning at least, it is the glory days of 1942 again, when Kido Butai would arrive on the scene and scatter the enemy to the winds, sinking all who were too slow to escape. The Japanese carriers launch their planes. These mercilessly harry the enemy ships until all are reported sunk. Japanese pilots report that a light cruiser and a destroyer are among their victims.

The sea beyond them is clear of further ships, however. It would seem that the bulk of the Allied fleet is already drawing close to New Zealand. To the dismay of many aboard the ships the Japanese task forces are ordered to turn around.

The Japanese are, for the moment, the undisputed masters of the sea and air around New Caledonia. What they will do with this condition remains to be seen.

---

Seaman Yoshitake looks back towards the along the twenty-five feet of starboard rail he has so far cleaned and painted. Then he looks forward. From his vantage near the stern it looks like a long way to the foredeck.

Standing nearby and watching him, Chief Shun guesses his thoughts. “It’s a long way to go,” he says cheerfully. “And then there is the entire port rail. Pick up the pace, sailor!” Sweating in the equatorial heat, Yoshitake resumes his work.

“I would like to have a talk with who ever put that damned bottle in the water,” he mutters to himself. “I really would.”

--

The bottle was put in the water by Ralph Bethke, a 19-year-old sailor aboard the US destroyer La Vallette. It is kind of a hobby of Bethke’s; over the course of his ship’s stay in the South Pacific some twenty similar bottles end up in the water.

The story of the bottles would make an interesting tale in and of itself. Two end up ashore in Peru; one turns up on the north coast of New Guinea in the middle of 1944; and one is found near Brisbane not long afterwards. In 1947 one will turn up near Cape Town, South Africa, where it will start an interesting chain of events; and one will be found two years after that by an elderly beach comber near Astoria, Oregon.

But since he never put his name to any of them no word of this ever comes back to Bethke, who survives the war. He is an energetic young man, and by 1960 he is a sales manager for John Deere in Wichita, Kansas. He stops for a meal one day at the lunch counter in the S.S. Kresge store, and on the way out he passes a rack of paperback books. There he sees a book called “Japanese Destroyer Attack!” by a man named Shiro Kuramata. It catches his interest and he buys a copy.

That night, after the kids are in bed and he has some peace and quiet, he begins reading it. The book strongly brings back his memories of the war and his service aboard “LaVadilly”. He is astounded at how many experiences he has in common with this Kuramata fellow. While there are certainly cultural differences, in a lot of ways they could have served aboard the same ship.

He can’t stop reading, and after he and his wife go to bed he remains propped up on a pillow, turning the pages. Then, on page 149, he comes to Shiro’s description of the Coke bottle incident. He cannot believe his eyes.

“That was me!” he yells, shaking his wife awake and holding out the book. “Look! That was my bottle!” After his wife wakes up enough to understand what he is babbling about she becomes interested too, though she does urge him to get some sleep and talk about it in the morning.

The next day he writes a letter to Japan. In due course it is answered, but what happens after that is a story for another day.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2056
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 1:30:25 AM   
veji1

props

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2057
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 2:50:13 AM   
Onime No Kyo

CF you are an amazing writer. Its breathtaking how much new stuff you can think up and put into words.

EDIT: I had a though that may be silly but I think is worth mentioning. Maybe among the fans of Small Ship, Big War there is a person who has as much talent as an artist as our host has as a writer. I, for one, would love to have some of the scenes of this AAR illustrated and would love even more if our beloved characters got faces to match their names.

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 1/25/2008 3:05:31 AM >

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to veji1)
Post #: 2058
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 3:32:47 AM   
Feinder

Very cool CF.  Very cool indeed.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 2059
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 6:50:04 AM   
kaleun

Very, very good

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 2060
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 2:11:59 PM   
tocaff

Best entertainment I've had since....Keep up the excellent work.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 2061
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 5:28:00 PM   
Ol_Dog

The wonder of books is imagination - I KNOW what the CPO and Capt look like - in my mind.

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

Post #: 2062
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 10:25:42 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

The sea beyond them is clear of further ships, however. It would seem that the bulk of the Allied fleet is already drawing close to New Zealand. To the dismay of many aboard the ships the Japanese task forces are ordered to turn around.

The Japanese are, for the moment, the undisputed masters of the sea and air around New Caledonia. What they will do with this condition remains to be seen.

A question of great interest to we AAR readers. (I imagine the IJA back on New Caledonia has some choice comments about the lack of Naval Air support in their dealings with the American troops.)

BTW, if my map is correct, New Zealand is due south, or even south-by-southeast from New Caledonia. Perhaps some of the Allied ships changed course and went towards Australia instead?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2063
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 11:12:05 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

EDIT: I had a though that may be silly but I think is worth mentioning. Maybe among the fans of Small Ship, Big War there is a person who has as much talent as an artist as our host has as a writer. I, for one, would love to have some of the scenes of this AAR illustrated and would love even more if our beloved characters got faces to match their names.

To some extent I agree with Ol_Dog about this; I certainly have my own ideas about what the characters look like. But drawings of some of the scenes from the AAR might be a lot of fun. You won't get them from me, though - I have all the artistic skill of a nearsighted aardvark.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

BTW, if my map is correct, New Zealand is due south, or even south-by-southeast from New Caledonia. Perhaps some of the Allied ships changed course and went towards Australia instead?

It is a distinct possibility. To be perfectly honest, for all the Japanese really know the Allied ships might have returned to a hidden rebel base on Tatooine. I'd unleash some Imperial Star Destroyers on them, but they'd just be shot down by Corsairs.

Post #: 2064
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/25/2008 11:15:39 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

I'd unleash some Imperial Star Destroyers on them, but they'd just be shot down by Corsairs.

It's only fair. KB starts out with TIE fighters and gets to use 'em without fear for about three game years. There ought to finally be some sort of penalty when they enter the atmosphere.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2065
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 2:33:14 AM   
Fishbed

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

It's only fair. KB starts out with TIE fighters and gets to use 'em without fear for about three game years.

I didn't know I could use my A6M2s fearlessly from December 1941 to December 1944 and expect to shoot down every allied plane I may put into my sights. Good, but you'll have to provide me with some version infos so I can update my WitP

Great Great Stuff Fish, as usual. It looked so real, I googled the LaValette sailor just to be sure he wasn't by chance someone who really existed... But looks like you don't even need real-life models for your inspiration!

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 1/26/2008 2:35:36 AM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 2066
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 2:44:12 AM   
Terminus

Don't worry about diehl, Fishbed. He doesn't even play WitP anymore; it didn't agree with him...

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 2067
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 3:45:33 AM   
Cuttlefish

October 6, 1943

Course: North by northeast
Fuel: 274

Orders: Engage enemy fleet off New Caledonia

---

“I still think it was a mistake to stop when we did,” says Senior Petty Officer Aikawa. He and Taiki are debating strategy in the petty officer’s wardroom. “We had them running before us like yapping dogs. We should have conquered New Zealand, and Fiji too. Then we wouldn’t have have been stuck trying to defend New Caledonia.”

“No, we would have been stuck trying to defend New Zealand,” says Taiki. “And it’s a lot further away.”

“That isn’t the point,” says Aikawa. “If we had kept pushing them they would have surrendered. Now they think they can beat us, and we have to keep proving to them that they can’t.”

“Maybe,” says Taiki. “But how far would we have had to go before they gave up? Hawaii?”

“Not that far,” says Aikawa. “They probably would have given up before then. What do you think, Chief?” Shun is sitting nearby cleaning one of the ship’s rifles. He looks up.

“I don’t,” he says.

“You don’t think they would have surrendered?” Aikawa asks.

“I don’t think about it,” says Shun. “I think about whether the deck force is doing its job. I think about whether or not my socks have holes. I don’t think about what goes on outside this ship.”

“But we are in the middle of events that will decide the fate of Japan,” says Taiki. “How can you not ever think about what’s going on?”

“Long practice,” says Shun dryly.

“You joined the navy when, Chief?” asks Aikawa. “1922, right?”

“In 1921,” says Shun.

Taiki suppresses the impulse to mention that he was born only a year earlier. Instead he asks “Have you been in longer than anyone else on board, Chief?”

“The Captain has been in longer,” says Shun. “He entered the Naval Academy about two months before I enlisted.”

“Did you know him back then?” Aikawa asks.

“We’d met,” Shun says. He polishes the barrel of the rifle with a rag.

Aikawa leans back and regards Shun. There are some interesting stories about Shun in his younger days, but the Chief will rarely if ever speak of them.

“I enlisted because I was the fourth son and it seemed the best option open to me,” he says casually. “What about you, Chief?” Shun gives the rifle a critical look and then puts it down.

“It was…necessary,” he says.

Aikawa raises an eyebrow. “Were you in trouble with the law or something?” he asks.

Shun looks at him. “No,” he says, then says something in Chinese. He gives the other two petty officers a nod, then picks up the rifle and leaves. After he is gone Taiki and Aikawa exchange a look.

“Did you catch that?” Aikawa asks.

Taiki shakes his head. “No,” he says. “It sounded something like ‘ching bang’ to me.”

Aikawa shakes his head. “Just another mystery,” he says.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2068
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 5:21:09 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Now....you dont suppose that.....Shun and the Captain are related.....like through mariage.....nah, couldnt be.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2069
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/26/2008 7:33:52 AM   
bradfordkay

With all these Star Wars analogies being bandied about, could it be that Shun feels a lifedebt for the incident with the pirates so long ago?

fair winds,
Brad

Post #: 2070
Page:   <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  67 68 [69] 70 71   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI