Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Play Calls and Gameplans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Calls and Gameplans Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/26/2008 6:53:57 PM   
Yngvai

Playcalls not being correctly called from profiles?

Just had a league game. Checked the game log file and compared it to my offensive profile.

Plays are called that are not in line with my profile.

One example. It was 1st & 10, I'm on offense. Score is 0-0. I'm on my opponent's 36 yard line. There's more than 10 minutes left in the half. There are 4 plays in my profile for the situation DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED.

The game did not call one of the 4 plays. It called a pass play that was not in those 4.

Another example. It was 1st & 10, I'm on offense. Score is 7-0. I'm on my opponent's 40 yard line. There's more than 10 minutes left in the half. There are 13 plays in my profile for the situation DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, UP7-10.

The game called a pass play that is not in those 13 plays.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 1/26/2008 7:04:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/26/2008 7:52:58 PM   
Scott_WAR

Yeah, I have been having a hard time getting the profiles to work correctly. Last night, during a league game I had a couple of people with more experence than me tell me the profiles do not work correctly.

Really frustrating considering all the time and work I put into my profile.

(in reply to Yngvai)
Post #: 2
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/26/2008 8:47:44 PM   
Marauders

The number one thing to keep in mind while doing gameplans is not to use ANY in the profile further up the tree of a specific instance.

Only use ANY if you don't have more detailed instances for that situation.

quote:

One example. It was 1st & 10, I'm on offense. Score is 0-0. I'm on my opponent's 36 yard line. There's more than 10 minutes left in the half. There are 4 plays in my profile for the situation DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED.

If you also have an instance where DN=ANY TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED its plays could be used as well.  The AI will use the first instance it finds that is TRUE for the pass/run percentage.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 1/27/2008 4:13:00 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 3
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/26/2008 10:06:15 PM   
Yngvai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

quote:

If you also have an instance where DN=ANY TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED it could be used if the AI finds it first. It AI will use the first instance it finds that is TRUE.

That's not the problem. The examples I gave you are one of the very first in the entire tree...they are at the very top of the list. I also barely have any situations that have ANY in them....they are all very specific.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/26/2008 11:23:44 PM   
David Winter

Hi.

Can you try removing all the situations that involve 'ANY'. 'ANY' style situations are inclusive, so the result plays are added to any plays returned from the specific situation. What might be happening is that it's getting the <n> plays from your specific situation, and the <n> plays from the situation that includes an 'ANY'.

"DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED" and "DN1, TGANY, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED" with both return plays.

(in reply to Yngvai)
Post #: 5
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 12:58:47 AM   
Scott_WAR

Does the game call a play from the first group that is appropriate, or the group that is most specific?

If it calls a play from the first appropriate group it comes to we REALLY need the ability to move groups up and down in the list.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 6
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 1:31:35 AM   
David Winter

What I might do is just remove the option for 'ANY'. It just causes way too much confusion. The downside is that playbooks will need a lot more profiles in them.

David

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 7
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 4:21:56 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Yngvie stated: That's not the problem. The examples I gave you are one of the very first in the entire tree...they are at the very top of the list. I also barely have any situations that have ANY in them....they are all very specific.

The tree is general to specific. It does not matter when it is created.

quote:

Scott asked: Does the game call a play from the first group that is appropriate, or the group that is most specific?

The pass/run percentage is taken from the first group that is encountered that is valid. The play is taken from all of the groups that are valid.

quote:

If it calls a play from the first appropriate group it comes to we REALLY need the ability to move groups up and down in the list.

As it stands, only the pass/run percentage is based on that. The play is taken from available plays.

quote:

David Winter stated: What I might do is just remove the option for 'ANY'. It just causes way too much confusion. The downside is that playbooks will need a lot more profiles in them.

Please do not remove the ANY feature.

Most of the confusion comes from players believing that the situation groups were exclusive rather than inclusive.

Post #: 8
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 4:49:01 AM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

Most of the confusion comes from players believing that the situation groups were exclusive rather than inclusive.

Theres the problem, and honestly, in my opinion, the game does things backwards. Logically, it should be exclusive. If I make a profile to choose from only long pass plays on 2nd and 1 or less, it should only use those plays on 2nd and 1 or less, and not plays it finds in 2nd and any. The way it appears to work from your description, is that if I have the 2nd and any group, and the 2nd and 1 or less group, on 2nd and 1 I may call a play from the 2nd and 1 or less group or from 2nd and any with the pass to run % being whichever list is created first. Completely backwards logic wise. It should use the 2nd and 1 or less group only on 2nd and 1 or less and not other groups, and the 2nd and any on all other 2nd down plays besides thse situations that are covered by a more specific group.

If this is the way it works, then it seems to me using ANY would actually screw up your specific situations, so really shouldnt be used anyway.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/27/2008 4:52:48 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 9
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 6:07:49 AM   
David Winter

Scott, I'm sorry but I don't think the logic is backwards at all.

Say there are three situation groups in the playbook. One specific to 1st down, one specific to 2nd down, and one set to 'ANY'... meaning you really don't care what down it is at the time. 'Any' in this case could also be taken to mean 'ALL' downs.

So when 1st down comes along, it's going to grab two of the three profiles. The one specific to 1st down, and the one that applies to any (or all) downs (assuming the rest of the situation is applicable as well).

To me having the ANY exlusive wouldn't work. You would have a situation for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, (and maybe 4th) down, and a situation with ANY. In the example you provied, the ANY in this case would never be used.

The idea behind the 'ANY' was that you could, to reuse the example above, create profiles that didn't care what down it was, but was more specific on other things, like say position on field.

I don't have all of the FBPro versions, but based off the ones I do have (95 and 98) it didn't use an ANY either in the profiles. But you had to create a lot more situations in the profile to cover everything. The goal of the ANY option was to reduce the need for that.

Removing the ANY is a fairly straight forward process.. probably an hours worth of work. I'm not married to the feature either way so it's up to the user base to decide I guess. Please keep in mind though it would mean that you would need to have many more situation groups in a profile.

thanks
David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 1/27/2008 6:13:20 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 10
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 6:35:26 AM   
Deft

I think we would all rather see the ability to copy and paste the plays situations in the profile and select more than one play to add at a time, so they don't all have to be made from scratch. It would be a big time saver and help much of the frustration.

< Message edited by Deft -- 1/27/2008 6:36:33 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 6:41:57 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

Removing the ANY is a fairly straight forward process.. probably an hours worth of work. I'm not married to the feature either way so it's up to the user base to decide I guess. Please keep in mind though it would mean that you would need to have many more situation groups in a profile.

Okay, before I respond, just to let you all know I have yet to actually play the game, just sim some stuff. But, from what I can gather, I too think David is right. The whole purpose of the ANY "option" is that it will work for any situation under which the criteria apply. If it's 2nd and 1 or 2nd and 15, if you have a 2nd and any option, it should be in the mix.

Now, my question is, why can't you just make an option to "turn off" the ANY option or not have any plays in it at all. Or, is this already an option. Because, if it IS an option to turn it off, then my thought would be that it's pointless to totally remove the ANY options. If someone doesn't like the ANY option, then they should be allowed ot make that decision. But, if people do like the ANY options, then you should give them the option to keep it.

Does that make sense? Remember, I don;t really know what you are talking about, so, I am probably completey wrong...

JD

Latest Max FB Databse Editor: Max FB Database Editor (v 1.7.0)

Post #: 12
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 6:46:05 AM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdhalfrack

Now, my question is, why can't you just make an option to "turn off" the ANY option or not have any plays in it at all. Or, is this already an option. Because, if it IS an option to turn it off, then my thought would be that it's pointless to totally remove the ANY options. If someone doesn't like the ANY option, then they should be allowed ot make that decision. But, if people do like the ANY options, then you should give them the option to keep it.

Does that make sense? Remember, I don;t really know what you are talking about, so, I am probably completey wrong...

JD

The option is there.. it's just not an explicit option per se. If you don't want to have 'ANY' used in your situation groups, you just don't select it from the radio option buttons. So the option is there to use it or not.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 1/27/2008 6:47:58 AM >

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 13
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:04:24 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Scott_War stated: Theres the problem, and honestly, in my opinion, the game does things backwards. Logically, it should be exclusive.

At first, I thought the same thing. When considering how FBPro worked, all profile situations were exclusive. The thing to consider is that there was no ALL option in FBPro. If one want to make sure that each situation is exclusive, then one has to not use the ALL command in any of the variables of that situation in another situation.

quote:

The way it appears to work from your description, is that if I have the 2nd and any group, and the 2nd and 1 or less group, on 2nd and 1 I may call a play from the 2nd and 1 or less group or from 2nd and any with the pass to run % being whichever list is created first.

One could get a play from the second and 1 group or from the second and any group; that is correct.

The pass/run percentage comes from which ever situation the AI encounters first that is valid.

quote:

Completely backwards logic wise.

Logic wise, it is how it is stated. ALL means all inclusive. ALL ELSE would be exclusive.

quote:

If this is the way it works, then it seems to me using ANY would actually screw up your specific situations, so really shouldnt be used anyway.

It could if it is not used correctly. If one wants to make more detailed plans, one needs to be careful not to use ALL with a large number of plays on a general situation. One must be especially careful not to use ALL in the DOWN variable if one wants to have much more detailed plays.

On the other hand, one may want to have an ALL playgroup for long down situations as an example. By having a few plays that can be used in all long situations, one needs to add less plays to the detailed situations.

One may also want to use general playbook plays for first down, and be specific on second, third, and fourth down. In that case, one would use DN1, TGANY, TIHANY, DFGANY, UPANY.

The use for ANY is to add plays to the gameplan in areas that one does not have the time to, or would just rather not, be more specific. One could also use ANY as a base for building blocks into several situation groups. One needs to take care not to cross up his own gameplan, but ANY does have its uses.

quote:

David Winter stated: I don't have all of the FBPro versions, but based off the ones I do have (95 and 98) it didn't use an ANY either in the profiles. But you had to create a lot more situations in the profile to cover everything. The goal of the ANY option was to reduce the need for that.

That is correct. FBPro did not have the ALL option.

quote:

Again, please do not remove the ANY feature. Coaches that wish to use it will be glad it is there. Coaches who do not want to use it do not have to.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 1/27/2008 7:19:09 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 14
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:07:43 AM   
Scott_WAR

Ok, lets try to explain this again. I'll do it from the perspective of trying to create a book the way I would like to.

First I set 1rst and any in all catagories.
Then I set 2nd and any in all catagories
Then 3rd and any in all catagories.
Then I set a 2nd and <=1
Then I set a 2nd and >10
Then I set a 3rd and<=1
Then I set a 3rd and >5
Then on to set other situation like late in the game and behind, late in the game and ahead etc...

The idea is that on any 1rst down, 2nd down or 3rd it uses the plays in the respective 'any' groups, UNLESS the specific situations...... 2 and 1, 2 and >10, 3rd and 1, or 3rd>5 is met then it calls a play in those specific groups only. The way you have it working now, I might as well not even have the lower groups, since the plays in the any groups will be used as well as the groups I set up for specific situations.

If it worked where the specific situations were used exclusively, it would save massive amounts of time, as you could have umbrella plays for general situations, 1rst and any, 2nd and any,...etc. but could still have specific groups to overide those general situations, such as 2nd and <=1, or 3rd and >15.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/27/2008 7:29:48 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:37:22 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Ok, lets try to explain this again. I'll do it from the perspective of trying to create a book the way I would like to.

First I set 1st and any in all catagories.
Then I set 2nd and any in all catagories
Then 3rd and any in all catagories.
Then I set a 2nd and <=1
Then I set a 2nd and >10
Then I set a 3rd and<=1
Then I set a 3rd and >5
Then on to set other situation like late in the game and behind, late in the game and ahead etc...

I can see what you are trying to do, but you are seeing ANY as ANY ELSE.

quote:

The idea is that on any 1rst down, 2nd down or 3rd it uses the plays in the respective 'any' groups, UNLESS the specific situations...... 2 and 1, 2 and >10, 3rd and 1, or 3rd>5 is met then it calls a play in those specific groups only. The way you have it working now, I might as well not even have the lower groups, since the plays in the any groups will be used as well as the groups I set up for specific situations.

You would want it to be more similar to this:

DN1, TGANY, TIHANY, DFGANY, UPANY
DN2, TG<=1, TIANY, DFANY, UPANY
DN2, TG>10, TIANY, DFANY, UPANY
DN3, TG<=1, TIANY, DFANY, UPANY
DN3, TG>5, TIANY, DFANY, UPANY

You would not want to set a second down and ANY unless those plays could be used in other situations as well.

The one thing that makes this more difficult is that the yards TG options are <=1, >1, >5, >10, >15.

Because ALL is not ALL ELSE, it is difficult to fill the >1 and >5 situations because they could be used as part of the >10 and >15 group if they truely mean "> than" because >10 is certainly >1 and >5. If they were >1-5, >5-10, ... it would allow more specific play groups to be made. In your example, there is a potential hole from 1-10 yards on second down because of this. Of course, the AI will select plays from the whole playbook in those cases, but it makes >1 and >5 of little use if one wants to use >10 or >15 situations.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 1/27/2008 7:42:49 AM >

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 16
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:54:28 AM   
Scott_WAR

The hole would be the purpose of the 2nd and all.

See with the current method, i have to set every single situation, to get the exact plays i want there, whereas the all command could be used to cover all situations but the others i have set and would save tons of time, while still giving good control over what is called.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/27/2008 8:00:53 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 17
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:55:05 AM   
Marauders

quote:

ANY is one option that may be used or not used in the variable options.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 18
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:01:18 AM   
Scott_WAR

If I set a group for 2nd and >1  and a group 2nd and >10, with any in all other catagories,.... wouldnt the plays I have in the 2nd and >1 also have a chance of being used in a 2nd and>10 situation......... which is another reason why exclusive would work better.
If it worked the way I want, I could set an any group, a <=1 group and a>10 group. If it was 2nd and 8, the any group would be used, if it was 2nd and 12, ONLY my 2nd >10 group would be used. I wouldnt need to set EVERY single group to get what I wanted.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 19
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:12:54 AM   
Marauders

quote:

The hole would be the purpose of the 2nd and all.

See with the current method, i have to set every single situation, to get the exact plays i want there, whereas the all command could be used to cover all situations but the others i have set and would save tons of time, while still giving good control over what is called.

At one time, I thought that is how it worked, but it does not.

ALL is an added tool.  It is a feature FBPro did not have.

In order for ALL to work as a general tool, but also allow specific situations to be used exclusively, the AI would have to find situations that match in general but use the specific situation group alone if every variable matched.  I don't know if that could be programmed easily.  Again, having variable groups that overlap for yardage could be a problem, as more than one situation could potentially match all variables.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 20
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:18:43 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Scott stated: If I set a group for 2nd and >1  and a group 2nd and >10, with any in all other catagories, wouldnt the plays I have in the 2nd and >1 also have a chance of being used in a 2nd and>10 situation ...

Yes, they would.  In earlier posts, I indicated that overlapping variables is a problem.

quote:

... which is another reason why exclusive would work better.

I understand.  As I have stated, that is how I once thought it worked.

Having overlapping variables would still be a problem though.

< Message edited by Marauders -- 1/27/2008 8:25:00 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 21
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:29:14 AM   
Scott_WAR

Well, it would be easier for people to understand, would be easier to make profiles, would take less time,............ so I dont understand why it isnt done this way. It should be changed if possible. If its not possible, it should definately be the way its done in the next version.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 22
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:47:30 AM   
Marauders

I can do it either way, but I agree that being exclusive on a 100% match is easier to visualize.  I had the same mindset as you did until recently, so I understand your point of view.

I know David has tried to see how this would work in several ways, and this way allowed the ANY option to be included, and it is certainly better to have it as an option than to not.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 23
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 9:20:15 AM   
Scott_WAR

The any option could still be used, just change the situations from inclusive to exclusive. It would work better.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 24
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 1:49:14 PM   
cbelva

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deft

I think we would all rather see the ability to copy and paste the plays situations in the profile and select more than one play to add at a time, so they don't all have to be made from scratch. It would be a big time saver and help much of the frustration.

I have to agree with Deft. The ability to "copy and paste" the plays situations would make this a lot easier. There are time I want to build a new situation and make it similiar to a different situation. Right now you have to rebuild each situation from scratch. There is a "copy" button, but it does not work. And the specific plays are not copied, just the situation setup. An example of how I would like to see it work:

DN1, <=1, <= 5 YARDS FROM GOAL--THEN HAVE 5 PLAYS SELECTED.
then copy this same sitution and change the condition from 1st down to 2nd down. When you copy the first one, the same plays are added in the copy to the new situation.

Now, you have to reselect each play for each situation one at a time which can be tedious. This would save a lot of time and make setting up gameplans easy.

Also, I like Deft's idea about selecting more than one play at a time.

I brought this up way back when Maximum Football was release, but no one else picked up on it.

< Message edited by cbelva -- 1/27/2008 2:47:42 PM >

(in reply to Deft)
Post #: 25
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 5:40:11 PM   
garysorrell

I was also under the impression that 'any' would handle situations I dont have a specific situation for.

Thats the way I would have expected it to work. Unless I misunderstand the above .
I want to have a generic 'any' for each down, but as soon as I add a specific situation, like 2nd and short, then that overrides the 'any' in the 2nd and short situation.

Im also with Deft and cbelva, I would love to hold shift and select multiple plays and click a button and have them fill multiple spots in my situation

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 26
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 7:20:45 PM   
Yngvai

Wow, this thread grew fast.

The ANY situation is not causing my problem. I don't have any ANY'S in my profile at all.

Let me list the 1st down, TIED situations I have in my offensive profile to illustrate...

DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG76-95, TIED
DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED*
DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG6-25, TIED
DN1, TG>1, TIH>10, DFG<=5, TIED
DN1, TG>1, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED
DN1, TG>10, TIH>10, DFG26-75, TIED
DN1, TG>10, TIH>10, DFG76-95, TIED

As mentioned in my initial post, in a 0-0 ball game (TIED), with me on my opponent's 36 yard line (DFG26-75), with more than 10 minutes in the half, the game should call plays that are in the situation I marked with an asterisk. But it does not.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 27
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:10:37 PM   
Marauders

quote:

As mentioned in my initial post, in a 0-0 ball game (TIED), with me on my opponent's 36 yard line (DFG26-75), with more than 10 minutes in the half, the game should call plays that are in the situation I marked with an asterisk. But it does not.

This is an area we will be testing, so we'll check it out.  Perhaps it is a situation with a null (0) score.

(in reply to Yngvai)
Post #: 28
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:25:03 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

The any option could still be used, just change the situations from inclusive to exclusive. It would work better.

Let me play around with these and see what I can come up with. Be aware though that any changes to how the ANY process works is going to mean more work for the end user. The profile is going to require a lot more specific entries to accomplish your goal.

It will also reverse the logic to go against what ANY means. As I stated earlier, ANY means return me all results that match. That's simply how databases work, and these playbooks are just little databases. I think by reversing the logic, it's going to confuse the other 1/2 of the community that expects the ANY option to return all the results.

What I will try is the following;

1. Look for a specific situation first. DN, TG, TIH, DFG, SCORE will all have to match 100%.
2. If that fails (not situation made) I'll have it drop down to what it's doing now, meaning check for situations that might have ANY being used. So DN1, TG>5, TIH>10, DFG76-95, TIED might fail, but DN1, TG>5, TIHANY, DFG76-95, TIED may return a result.

Existing playbooks will likely need to be amended to take into account the change.

I also need to mention that changes like this add to the testing period. The testing group is small and they have lives outside of the game, so they can't test all these large changes over night. The changes to the statistics system is already a very considerable testing project.

thanks
David

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 29
RE: Play Calls and Gameplans - 1/27/2008 8:30:07 PM   
David Winter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yngvai

Please send me, or attach here, your playbook. At the moment I don't think I need the plays just yet, just the playbook database.

thanks
David

(in reply to Yngvai)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Play Calls and Gameplans Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI