Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Player Names

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Player Names Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Player Names - 1/26/2008 7:49:20 AM   
Antman

Is there anything i can download that will make the game generate better player names?
Post #: 1
RE: Player Names - 1/26/2008 11:28:51 AM   
Marauders

That is a side project I am working on.

I'll see what I can do to get it into an upcoming patch.

By the way, the names are all real names.  But they needed to be tweaked.

(in reply to Antman)
Post #: 2
RE: Player Names - 1/26/2008 1:26:41 PM   
Saedor

Yeah, it would be nice to have such a utility... I'm working on some international teams (Japanese, Russian, etc.), and changing the names of all the players manually can be a chore. It's not that big of a deal, just time consuming.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 3
RE: Player Names - 1/26/2008 8:51:16 PM   
Marauders

quote:

I'm working on some international teams (Japanese, Russian, etc.), and changing the names of all the players manually can be a chore. It's not that big of a deal, just time consuming.

That is a little more complicated.

(in reply to Saedor)
Post #: 4
RE: Player Names - 1/26/2008 10:48:20 PM   
Saedor

quote:

That is a little more complicated.

True. For something like this a seperate utility would probably be better than a game patch. There are already random name generators in various languages out there... If someone could just figure out a way to import those names into the team database file, that would do it.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 5
RE: Player Names - 1/26/2008 11:14:17 PM   
jdhalfrack

A utility like this would be a "piece of cake" to make. Replacing names in a league database is not hard to do at all. But coming up with the names (like russian names and Japanese names) would be beyond me. Unless I made a utility that reads names from a database or excel file, and each user could add/delete names from the database according to his or her liking.

Does that make sense?

JD

Latest Max FB Databse Editor: Max FB Database Editor (v 1.7.0)

(in reply to Saedor)
Post #: 6
RE: Player Names - 1/27/2008 12:49:25 AM   
Marauders

JD, I was thinking that you could help with that, but the name generator works well for United States and Canadian leagues.

I am adjusting the database to give a better representation of common names, but that would not allow a special database set or Asian, Russian, South American, Scandinavian, or German leagues.

If user created datasets could be loaded, that would be nice.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 7
RE: Player Names - 1/27/2008 10:57:43 PM   
jdhalfrack

Okay, I just created a databse with 18300 U.S. last names based on the US census form 1990 (but updated in like 1996ish). This list also includes the relative frequency (in comparison to the other names) in which you are likely to walk up to a random person and they would have that last name. I did the same for first names (but with only 1219 first names).

Now, I have not made an editor that would replace current names with randomly generated names yet, but trust me, that will really be a piece of cake.

I am just curious if any of you would know where I could obtain a list for common russian last/first names or any other country. For example, I got my list here: names.mongabay.com.

I plan on adding a random name generator to my next release since I've had a few request for one. But, let me know if you seriously want one sooner. I could make a quick program that would be nothing but a name generator/replacer.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/27/2008 10:59:12 PM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 8
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 1:00:14 AM   
Marauders

Well, I guess I won't have to do anything else on this.

That saved me some time.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 9
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 1:01:58 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

That saved me some time.

Well, you know me... I aim to please .

JD

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 10
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 3:01:52 AM   
jdhalfrack

Okay, I found a site that had the top 634 japanese last names (written in both english and japanese... but I think we just want english) and about 100 first names. Hopefully, that will be enough unless someone finds something better.

I did find a site with the top 7000 last names, but they were just in japanese with no english translation.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/28/2008 3:13:55 AM >

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 11
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 3:02:28 AM   
garysorrell

As always, we are very grateful for your work.
Your editor as is has helped me greatly with my own projects and the NCFL.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 12
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 9:17:49 AM   
Marauders

quote:

Okay, I just created a databse with 18300 U.S. last names based on the US census form 1990 (but updated in like 1996ish). This list also includes the relative frequency (in comparison to the other names) in which you are likely to walk up to a random person and they would have that last name.

Just to note, the name database included in the game was based on the census as well.  It just was not set up by frequency.  My project was editing the database to include frequency modification and to eliminate some of the more unique spelling versions of more common names.

I am not going to proceed until I see what has been done here.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 13
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 10:58:32 PM   
jdhalfrack

Okay, here's the list of names I have created so far:

................Last Names....First Names
China.........210...............606
Germany....1860.............55
Italy...........1805.............297
Japan.........634...............931
Korea.........111...............236
Russia........994...............163
USA............18839...........1219

I don't have frequency "ratings" for every country, but I figure for countries besides the US, that's probably okay. Also, the names I have for some countries may be spelled incorreclty. I'm really not sure. I got the names form various sites, but mainly sites that had the Romanization of the the foreign name (basically, the English spelling). I am just giving a heads up, because when I incorporate this into the editor, I don't want to offend anyone with wrong spellings!

Let me know if there are other countries I should look into.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/28/2008 11:02:52 PM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 14
RE: Player Names - 1/28/2008 11:52:44 PM   
Marauders

JD, while you are at it, could you combine China, Japan, and Korea and call it Asia and combine the European names and call them Europe in seperate files?  Hmmm, I wonder if adding Russia and an Aussie/Kiwi file to the Asian ones would make a nice western Pacific Rim file.  There are many possibilities.

Thank you for your work.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 15
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 12:02:45 AM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

JD, while you are at it, could you combine China, Japan, and Korea and call it Asia and combine the European names and call them Europe in seperate files?  Hmmm, I wonder if adding Russia and an Aussie/Kiwi file to the Asian ones would make a nice western Pacific Rim file.  There are many possibilities.

Thank you for your work.

Well, here's how it will work:

Users will have the option to chose what countries to pick from when using the utility. Then, for each country, there are more options. For example, let's say I wanted USA names and Japanes names. So, I select those two. Now, I have the option to decide if USA last names only use USA first names and if Japanese last names only use Japanese first names. This would be the difference between a JOSHUA SUZUKI (Japanese last name, USA first name) or a AKAHITO SUZUKI.

There are a couple more options, too. Hopefully this makes sense.

JD

< Message edited by jdhalfrack -- 1/29/2008 12:03:10 AM >

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 16
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 12:23:42 AM   
Marauders

My God man!  You're a doctor - not a mechanic!

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 17
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 6:08:25 AM   
DONMVP

JDHALFTRACK , just wanted to say love your utility . I finally used it yesterday and has helped a great deal with creating random player ratings for 18,000 players in the 121 team ncaa sub division i`m making . One QUESTION Was wondering , i`m going to try and copy and paste as many of college players real names on each roster . Was wondering if i`m missing something . Inoticed most teams real rosters their names our not all capitalised , just first letter for first and last . I was wondering if i`m missing something with your utility that i`m not clicking to make them capital or not . No big thing , just hate to have to type them in if i`m not smart enought to click something . Other then that great utility .

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 18
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 6:17:46 AM   
jdhalfrack

I'm not sure I 100% completely understand your question. But, I think you are asking me if:

a) Do the all the names need to be ALL CAPS or can you just tpye/copy the names normally (the first letter of the first and last name are capital) and...

b) Is there an option to make them all caps

The answer, as far as I can tell is that:

a) it doesn't really matter. You can put them in any way you like. But, I think the game generates new players with ALL CAPS. But, the game will display the names you enter however you input them.

b) My editor doesn't have an option to change the to all caps, although, it probably should! And, maybe option to change them to normal lettering.

I hope that answers your question. Also, I'm glad you're liking the editor! If there's anything else I can help you with, ask in the forums or PM me!

JD

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 19
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 6:36:18 AM   
DONMVP

JD , it was option B , well glad you replyed so fast about it . Thanks for answer so quick . Reason why i had asked i did`nt know if i entered them and the whole name was`nt caps. If when i played a game if it would show that way on the backs of players. I`ll try a few players and see how show in game thanks again .

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 20
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 6:07:52 PM   
MjH

Another thing you guys might want to consider when creating name databases is to restrict the surnames to 10 letters or less. I noticed a while ago that names on the player jerseys are truncated at 10 letters -- Jeanbaptise was JEANBAPTIS on the jersey.

< Message edited by MjH -- 1/29/2008 6:08:33 PM >

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 21
RE: Player Names - 1/29/2008 7:57:28 PM   
jdhalfrack

quote:

Another thing you guys might want to consider when creating name databases is to restrict the surnames to 10 letters or less. I noticed a while ago that names on the player jerseys are truncated at 10 letters -- Jeanbaptise was JEANBAPTIS on the jersey.

That would be the "JerseyName" length. The surname could still be as many letters as it allows. However, is it true that all last names are truncated to 10 letters? And, if it IS true, should I make my editor only allow up to 10 letters in the Jersey Name text box?

JD

(in reply to MjH)
Post #: 22
RE: Player Names - 2/2/2008 7:36:59 AM   
Antman

Thanks for taking the time to create the name data base. I am about to give it a try.

(in reply to jdhalfrack)
Post #: 23
RE: Player Names - 2/5/2008 7:53:07 AM   
Marauders

quote:

................Last Names....First Names
China.........210...............606
Germany....1860.............55
Italy...........1805.............297
Japan.........634...............931
Korea.........111...............236
Russia........994...............163
USA............18839...........1219

As long as you are at it, could you do one USA/Canada woman's name list for the WAFL.

(in reply to Antman)
Post #: 24
RE: Player Names - 2/5/2008 10:29:32 AM   
DONMVP

Oh my my , VINCE LOMBARDI BE SAYING FROM THE GRAVE . ! There ain`t no breast in football !

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 25
RE: Player Names - 2/5/2008 6:39:46 PM   
Marauders

Well, there are women's leagues.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DONMVP)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Player Names Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI