Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just Curious

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Just Curious Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just Curious - 1/27/2008 5:32:43 PM   
acwbuff63

With the Matrix release of the great BG games, has anyone purchased the new Tiller games published by HPS?

Primarily, I was wondering if anyone has purchased an HPS title because of this new Matrix release.

Example, you were not aware of the Tiller games offered by HPS until the Matrix release.
Post #: 1
RE: Just Curious - 1/27/2008 9:13:11 PM   
dpstafford

I haven't bought either, yet. I am wondering what are the main differences between the Tiller/Matrix versions and the Tiller/HPS games?

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 2
RE: Just Curious - 1/27/2008 9:31:36 PM   
acwbuff63

Well, that would take some time.

In short, BG has better 3D MAPS, 2D is about equal

HPS ACW and Nappy games have both stand alone battle and campaigns. Put simply, when playing the campaign game, the loses of battle A will carry over to battle B, with a slight increase for recovered stragglers.

BG is all stand alone.

HPS has much bigger maps (with small ones as well), updates to the main engine, and many different battles. (i.e., Atlanta, and Chattanooga, etc...).

The're are many other comments available on this MB and other info at the HPS website.

Both are great, similar, but different.

(in reply to dpstafford)
Post #: 3
RE: Just Curious - 1/27/2008 10:42:04 PM   
Frido1207

acwbuff63,

I guess, I ´m one of them you are looking for. I didn´t know about the HPS Tiller games before browsing this forum. Due to a favorable Euro/Dollar exchange rate,  I finally bought two of them (Vicksburg & Shiloh). I´m most interessted in the campaign game, but still uncertain about the right way to play them. Also tbh I rarely touch the HPS & the BG games atm, because I ´m "wasting" my time on other games. But its good to know that they are just an armlength away from me. If I like I can play them immediately.
Pardon my poor english.
th

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 4
RE: Just Curious - 1/27/2008 10:56:56 PM   
Valkyrie

I've bought HPS Campaign Gettysburg and intend to buy their whole Civil War series. This is my favorite period of history as I grew up near Gettysburg and my family visited the battlefield many times as I was growing up. That's why I like military history, I guess.

Signature? Maybe someday over the rainbow.

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 5
RE: Just Curious - 1/27/2008 11:49:51 PM   
acwbuff63

th1207,

Don't forget to get the updates from the HPS website.  They include bug fixes, error corrections and engine upgrades.

Valkyrie,

Just in case, your interested, HPS offers a buy 3 get 5 deal.

Matrix,

I hope you don't mind my occasional mention of HPS on your BG forum.  I started with BG many years ago and love the fact that you've released these great and pioneering games.  If I had it my way, HPS and Matrix would partner or merge.  It would be great if HPS could offer digital downloads.  Perhaps a partnership could develop.  Imagine the possibilities.  Any Chance?  Talk to Scott Hamilton.

(in reply to Valkyrie)
Post #: 6
RE: Just Curious - 1/28/2008 3:17:22 AM   
acwbuff63

BTW,

I realized that the 5 for 3 deal isn't posted, try this email for HPS support.

support@hpssims.com

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 7
RE: Just Curious - 1/29/2008 5:31:05 PM   
dth

acwbuff63,

Do you know if HPS has a map editor with their addition? Do they still offer development/update support? I'm still looking to make a grand scenario version of this game and need some sort of editing ability. I know about, and have, the scenario editor for the BG version but am really limited to map development. Do you think there is enough interest in the HPS version to stir-up an editor to their game?

BRD!

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 8
RE: Just Curious - 1/30/2008 3:37:33 AM   
acwbuff63

Sorry, No map editor. But plenty of update support. Lot's of engine updates.

No sure what you mean by grand scenario

As for editors, there is a game editor. With it you can design your own scenarios or adjust existing scns.

The editor will require you to use the included maps and OOBs. However, some souls have managed to make their own maps. Not sure how they do it without an editor.

(in reply to dth)
Post #: 9
RE: Just Curious - 2/1/2008 10:52:44 PM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: acwbuff63

Sorry, No map editor. But plenty of update support. Lot's of engine updates.

No sure what you mean by grand scenario

As for editors, there is a game editor. With it you can design your own scenarios or adjust existing scns.

The editor will require you to use the included maps and OOBs. However, some souls have managed to make their own maps. Not sure how they do it without an editor.

You can make sub-maps of the existing maps in the HPS games. The documentation explains how to do this. As far as I know I have not seen any home grown maps. HPS locked up the map and OOB files after the first update to Corinth. So if you have a version of Campaign Corinth that hasn't been updated from version 1.1 the older BG map editor will work. Everything else is locked up tight. If you know where I can download some player-made maps that are running on any of the Campaign games since Corinth 1.1 I'd appreciate it. Sure would like to find out how they did it.

< Message edited by Dave Briggs -- 2/1/2008 10:56:20 PM >

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to acwbuff63)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series >> Just Curious Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI