Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for help on an old game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for help on an old game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for help on an old game - 1/28/2008 1:41:39 AM   
reagan0773

Is there a way to get Steel Panthers III to work on a system with vista?
Post #: 1
RE: Looking for help on an old game - 1/28/2008 2:20:16 AM   
junk2drive

I guess you didn't get an answer in the tech forum or here because nobody knows. Hard enough to get current games working with Vista.

Did you get it to install? If so, find the exe and right click. Then start looking for properties that you can change and maybe there is a Win95 or 98 compatablity selection.

(in reply to reagan0773)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for help on an old game - 1/28/2008 11:29:20 AM   
Hertston

It was DOS rather than Windows native wasn't it? You might have more joy with emulation of some sort rather than with Windows compatability settings, although that's certainly worth trying first.

You probably do, but just in case - have you already got the three free SP games (World at War, WW2 and MBT)? They all run in Vista, I think. It's been a long time since I played SP3 but I can't think of many reasons to prefer it to any of them.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for help on an old game - 1/28/2008 1:07:24 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

It was DOS rather than Windows native wasn't it? You might have more joy with emulation of some sort rather than with Windows compatability settings, although that's certainly worth trying first.

DOSBox and others are worth of try. They don't work with every game: MechWarrior II: Mercenaries doesn't get access CD when it's run with DOSBox.

quote:

It's been a long time since I played SP3 but I can't think of many reasons to prefer it to any of them.

SP3 has different scale of combat: more tanks and stuff can be operated with less clicks than with other SP games.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for help on an old game - 1/28/2008 5:51:14 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

You could also try some of the virtual machine software that's available from VMWare and Microsoft. VMWare is superior, IMO, but the Microsoft proggys are free. In order to use any of these programs you need to run them in an "upgraded" OS environment such as XP Professional or Vista Ultimate (Business editions will work also). The Home versions of either OS won't work with any of the virtualization software that's available

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to reagan0773)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for help on an old game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI