Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: When?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 7:07:02 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

February1, 2008 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of January

Project Management
While my heart wants to release MWIF at Origins 2008 my head says December 2008 is more reasonable. No one is more upset by this change than me. What consumes hundreds of hours of my time are inexplicable bugs. However, I am still planning on attending Origins 2008 and demonstrating MWIF with multi-player capability over a network there.

I had a long talk with Erik Rutkins at Matrix Games and we worked MWIF’s release into Matrix’s schedule for 2008. Happily, Matrix will be providing the music, sounds effects, and historical video for the game, relieving me of that task. All I need to do is identify what items are needed and provide a description of their content/purpose and duration (how long the item should run).

In addition, Erik says they can work with the WordPerfect files that I having been generating for the Player’s Manual, and edit them into the standard form Matrix uses for published manuals. Along that line, for MWIF Erik is looking into the possibility of changing from their standard 7 inch by 5 inch manual which has an upper page limit of 200 pages. I expect the MWIF Player’s manual to run to 150 full size pages (8 ½ by 11) and close to 400 if printed on 7 by 5. So perhaps the manual will be split into two volumes. But that is up to Erik and Dave to decide.

I consolidated all my different task lists into one long one. The first page is my daily task list and I update that first thing each morning. On good days I revise and reprint it during the day. The second section is a structured list of task items. That’s in an outline format and let’s me quickly find all the tasks related to NetPlay , Optional Rules, the Player Interface, and so on. Included within each task are cross-references to bug reports. The last section is a chronological list of bug reports by version number. Attached to each bug report are any notes I have made while fault isolating and correcting it.

Accompanying the master task list is a spreadsheet laying out the tasks by month, with each cell showing the number of hours to do the task. I keep that compressed to one page. As items are completed, I expand other items, so the spreadsheet always takes up 1 page.

Now if there were only more hours in a day, ...

Communications
Nothing from Rob Armstrong (graphics). All he has left are splash screens (2) and box art. I hope to get draft splash screens from him this month and the final versions in March.

Dan Hatchen has been hired by Matrix Games to work on NetPlay and PBEM. There have been some delays it getting this underway but he and I are now working together on NetPlay. My revised schedule has NetPlay technical code done in March and the technical code for PBEM in May.

Patrice provided me with Harry Rowland’s answers to World in Flames Frequently Asked Questions. There ended up being 375 total! Patrice has also continued to be a tremendous help on the map and tutorials - amongst other things.

I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded versions 7.00 and 7.01 to the beta testers. The beta testers send me numerous bug reports for each new release.

Robert Nebel (Nebert) continues to work on a test plan for the beta testers.

I haven’t heard from the unit description coordinators recently, but with the change in schedule, they will have more time to finish those tasks too.

No communications with Chris Marinacci.

I heard again from Peter Skoglund who wants to work with me on the language for the AIO. I have been copying Richard Dazeley on those email exchanges.

I talked with Fernando about printing the entire world map. The next step is to go into more technical details with some of the people who work for him.

Software Development Tools
I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007 yet. I will likely wait until after we get NetPlay working.

Beta Testing
Version 7.00 included compressed bitmaps for units and coastal hexes. Together with the compressed river/lake bitmaps I had done earlier, the game now loads in under 20 seconds. And once you have loaded all the bitmaps, you do not have to load them again should you decide to restore a saved game or start a new game. That translates into restoring a game taking around 10 seconds.

Version 7.01 was a quick fix on problems with using the compressed bitmaps. I just got a new bug report today that identifies a problem with restoring lake hexside bitmaps.

Units
Aside from compressing the unit bitmaps from 2100+ individual bitmaps into 22 pages of 100 each, nothing has been done regarding the units. They are done I believe. We still need to complete the unit writeups, of course. But that doesn’t require much from me.

Map
Compressing the coastal bitmaps was my major achievement in this area this past month. Down from 5000+ individual hexes to 6 pages. By interleaving the hexes, like they are on the map, I was able to reduce bitmap memory requirements so the entire world map now fits in memory. No more thoughts about trimming the top 10 or 15 hex rows! The savings were such that even with the full map, the bitmap memory required is now less than it had been previously. And as alluded to above, not having to open and close thousands of files cut the time to load the bitmaps dramatically.

Patrice has been responding to comments from Marcus Watney who has done a lot of research into world-wide resources during World War II. Mercifully these are all data driven and require no real work from me.

On advice from a forum member, I have decided to go with 6 segments for the printed world map. This is a side issue as far as releasing the game, but it takes on more importance when marketing is considered. I would like to have at least some of the 6 segments available at origins. The segments are equal in size (7 feet wide by 5 feet high) and I have labeled them: Europe, China, and North America (across the top); Africa, Australia, and South America (across the bottom). The next task on printing the map is to figure out what media would be best.

Scenario Setup
Scenario remains stable. The only bugs concerning these have to do with which units/countries cooperate. This is especially tricky during setup since slightly different rules apply as to which units can be placed in which foreign countries.

Optional Rules
Other than identifying precisely which optional rules require new or modified code, I did nothing on these.

Player Interface
I added a couple of new items to my task list - a very rare event. What I want to do is enable a player to click on a unit image in the Flyout display just as if he had clicked on it when it’s the top unit in the hex. The gain here should be substantial, since Flyouts let a player look at the units in a stack. By providing the ability to select a unit by clicking on it, the player is relieved of the task of cycling through all the units in a hex to get the one he wants on the top.

And to complete that capability, I want to let the player click on the “more units in hex” message at the bottom of the Flyouts (when there are more than 9 in a hex), in order to cycle to the next page of 9 units. Together, it should be possible to find the single unit you want in a stack of 50 and select it quickly.

Internet - NetPlay
Here is a quick overview of part of the NetPlay design Dan and I have come up with. The person who starts an Internet game is called the Originator. It is his task to choose the scenario and optional rules. He also enters the player names and then enables his computer to accept incoming ‘calls’ from the other players. Once all the players have logged in, the bidding for major power groups can take place. Alternatively, the Originator can assign a major power group to each player, if that has been worked out beforehand.

Once the game starts, the Originator becomes the Manager. His responsibility is to deal with players leaving/joining the game. If he wants to, he can pass his title and responsibility on to another player. Separate from the single manager for the game are the two Team Leaders, one per side. The Allied Team leader is Master MWIF, and it is on his computer that the program makes autonomous decisions, such as rolling for the weather and advancing the sequence of play.

The computer for each team leader acts as a server, with its clients being the computers of the other players on its side. This means that there are two players whose computers act as servers and each side can play the game separately from the other side. For example, when the Axis is deciding on land moves, none of the Allied players even needs to be logged on. And once all those decisions are made, the Axis team leader sends them over as a complete set to the Allied team leader who, in turn, distributes them to the players on his side.

Note that though the Originator’s computer acts as a server before the game starts, it may or may not be acting as a server once play begins. That depends on whether he is a team leader or not. Players can decide who is their team leader amongst themselves, it is not dictated by the program. But somebody has to be in charge!

CWIF Conversion
Nothing new on the supply line routines.

MWIF Game Engine
I continue to convert game play decisions to Game Record Log entries to support NetPlay.

Saved Games
I try to keep this functioning at all times. Sadly, I sometimes have to change the format structure, which renders all previously saved games obsolete. What a pain!

Player’s Manual
One of the major tasks I finished this month was to complete the Rules as Coded (RAC) document - 150 pages. This will serve as the fundamental reference for players of MWIF. We do not expect to print it, rather it will be a PDF file that the players can print if they so desire. Also, it will be accessible on-line during play.

To make RAC accurate, I incorporated all 375 FAQ questions and answers from Harry Rowland into the Rules as Written (RAW). That took some time and the document went through a dozen revisions. As it is, it meets with both Patrice’s and Harry’s approval. I also asked the beta testers to review it for accuracy and clarity.

There were a lot of changes but I avoided rewriting rules as much as possible. I even let stand some sentences and paragraphs that I thought could be written much better. This reluctance was partly because I do not have the time, but also due a concern that changing even a single word can change how the rule is interpreted.

To facilitate future communications with the people who will be serving as the editors for the Player’s Manual, I sent Erik a copy of the current Table of Contents. But before doing that I posted it to the forum for review and comments, which did cause me to make some changes to the TOC.

PBEM
Nothing new.

Historical Detail, Animations, and Sound
Other than Matrix agreeing to do all the grunt work on these, nothing new.

Help System and Tutorials
I started putting the context sensitive help writeups into the help file. Already in place is the code to pop these up on the screen when they are requested. To appreciate the size of this task you need only count the number of separate help writeups: 262. I’ve done about 10. I had been doing 1 a day but my revised schedule moves this task into the summer.

Patrice helped me with another 10 pages for the introductory tutorials. 7 pages remain. I added another form to make the summary page of unit costs and capabilities available during game play. Internally, these are identical to the help pages that describe what all the symbols and numbers on the units mean.

AI Opponent
I worked on the language specifications for the LAIO (Language for AI Opponent) and made some good progress. The code within the program is mostly established. Basically, at the points in the sequence of play where a decision has to be made by a player, the program checks to see if the major power is controlled by the AIO. If so, it determines which of the 8 AIO decision makers (e.g., Grand Strategist, Admiralty, Field Marshal) is responsible for making the decision and which # is assigned to that decision. It then make a call to a universal routine that branches according to decision maker and decision #.

There are 143 decision points currently, but that may increase slightly as I get further into the dirty details of the AIO decision making process.

I resumed typing in my general (not specific to a major power) AIO notes that I wrote up when I was in Europe in the spring. These are text writeups on how to make decisions at each of th e143 decision points. It would be nice to have an up-to-date copy of this document, rather than one with dozens of pages of notes written using 4 different pen colors. Then I could even make it available to others helping me with the AIO.

Other
My quartet has met only once since early December. Sad, very sad. Travel, work and illness take their toll. At one point I was the only member of my quartet who was not too sick to sing.

The guys next door, working on the 5 story children’s hospital, have laid the last of the ground floor foundation and have the first wall about 90% complete. I wish I had 25 guys working on my project every day.
====================================================================
January summary: RAC is done and so is compressing the bitmaps. The new schedule leaves me less panic stricken when I go to bed each night.

Tasks for February

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Map and Units
Work with Fernando on getting samples of each media for the map segment I have already sent him. Check with the unit description coordinators to see how things are going.

Beta Testing
Upload versions weekly. [est. 2 hours]

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Continue to work through the sequence of play giving each phase its own module. [est. 100 hours]

CWIF Conversion
Continue converting from CWIF style internet formats to Game Record Log Formats. [est. 45 hours in March]
Test the new random number generator. [est. 1 hour]

Player Interface
Finish the code for determining and displaying supply lines. [est. 20 hours]
Create the Task Forces and Naval Review forms. Implement Task Forces as a new “unit type”. [est. 60 hours]
Create Unit and hex lists for air missions. [est 20 hours in May]
Display the sequence of play (SOP) on the screen so the player knows where he is within the SOP and what is coming up next. [est. 20 hours in May]

NetPlay
Test the bidding capability using NetPlay. [est. 5 hours]
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the two player system into MWIF. [est. 10 hours]
Incorporate the multi-player (more than 2) system into MWIF. [est. 15 hours]

AI Opponent
Finish the syntax for the LAIO language. Define LAIO variables with their supporting functions. Write a parser for LAIO. Create a few rules as text and encode them for testing the parser. [est. 140 hours in May - July]

Nothing scheduled until September.

Player’s Manual
Nothing scheduled until May.

Nothing scheduled until July.

Other
I’ll probably do singing valentines for 2 days, assuming we can assemble a quartet. My own quartet should be available in the evenings, but most of the buyers want the valentine delivered during the day at the work place.

================================================================
February summary: Keep the beta testers busy and respond to their bug reports. Work with Dan on NetPlay. Continue work on Game Record Log conversions to support NetPlay for entire sequence of play. Devote the most time to the getting the New Game Engine to advance through the sequence of play. Finish the revisions to the player interface for Task Forces.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 481
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 7:57:41 AM   
wworld7

As usual thanks for the update. I am sure you nobody will be happy with the delay. But better to to get it "right" than pushed out the door TOO early in my opinion.

Flipper

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 482
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 9:22:38 AM   
cockney

on the brightside we are still looking at a release date of 2008, pity was longing fwd to getting hold of the game after origins, still as they say in France 'that's life' and as flipper said better right then broken.

never piss off a sgt major

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 483
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 8:34:08 PM   
composer99

While I am certainly sad to see that the release of MWiF has been delayed (), I agree that better to push things back than to deliver a buggy product. I can console myself with the knowledge that I have table-top WiF to play...

~ Composer99

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 484
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 8:37:33 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

While I am certainly sad to see that the release of MWiF has been delayed (), I agree that better to push things back than to deliver a buggy product. I can console myself with the knowledge that I have table-top WiF to play...

Don't be sad, you'd be sad if it was abandonned, but here it is simply longer than expected. I'm not sad, I support Steve.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 485
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 8:41:41 PM   
SamuraiProgrmmr

Whatever it takes, Steve.

You have my support all the way.

This is a HUGE project.  I am glad to see someone working on it that is not trying to push it out the door and fix problems later!

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 486
RE: When? - 2/1/2008 10:18:33 PM   
NeBert

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

Whatever it takes, Steve.

You have my support all the way.

This is a HUGE project. I am glad to see someone working on it that is not trying to push it out the door and fix problems later!

That´s also my opinion! Good quality should be the main goal.
I could do with less or no options in the first release but lots of bugs would be really annoying.

Just proceed, I will support as much as I can.

NeBert

(in reply to SamuraiProgrmmr)
Post #: 487
RE: When? - 2/2/2008 3:04:10 AM   
Neilster

I've been wishing for a computer version of WiF since I first played it in about 1992, so another 6 months isn't going to hurt, especially as Steve is making sure all the details are right. Hopefully MWiF will be arriving during the reinforcement phase of Jan/Feb

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to NeBert)
Post #: 488
RE: When? - 2/2/2008 5:31:53 AM   
Anendrue

Sorry to hear about the delay. However a good thng is worth waiting for. A cold beer on a hot afternoon. Seeing a perfect game pitched. Watching the Patriots go undefeated, and MWiF released in a working format. So Steve you have my support!

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 489
RE: When? - 2/2/2008 5:32:27 AM   
denxis1

Wow I mean WOW! I cant hardly believe my eyes when I look through this Forum. There has been so much work and effort that has gone into this game. I just wanted to thank Steve everyone else for this. I too am disappointed in the delay but I would probably wait far longer than a few additional months for such a wonderful game. It makes me feel like a kid waiting for Christmas again. Keep up the good work.

Denis

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 490
RE: When? - 2/2/2008 3:21:56 PM   
jesperpehrson

6 more months makes for an even better game I am sure. And I mean even Gaudí had a slight delay in his masterpiece, so lets all give Steve all the support we can! Hasta la victoria siempre. 

BTW, I will be needing more writers for writeups. Anyone interested can shoot me a PM!

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 491
RE: When? - 2/2/2008 3:54:44 PM   
warspite1

The delay is disappointing but not unexpected given the sheer enormity of this project - and thank you for the early heads up of the expected delay.  WIF is simply the best wargame ever devised with a perfect blend of realism - without sacrificing playability - combined with counters and maps of the highest quality.  What is so pleasing about the computer version is that the counters are faithful to the board game and the maps frankly are even better     

I spent many many hours in the 90`s playing WIF and am looking forward to resuming hostilities as soon as the computer version is available .   

(in reply to denxis1)
Post #: 492
RE: When? - 2/3/2008 9:33:45 AM   
HansHafen

Thanks for all your work. I can't even imagine taking on a project of this magnitude. Wif is so sophisticated and nuanced, even deciding if you want to intercept an air mission alone could crash a processor, that I am extremely uncertain an AI can be developed that will work. I want there to be a legitimate AI, I just have to see it to believe it. The user interface in this game will be vitally important also. I read your update and am very encouraged by the fly outs.

Most of us still watching this thread have spent at least $500.00 (those of us who have spent way more don't laugh!) on the boardgame, and understand the massive investment going into this development. As a result, I am sure the price will be far above an ordinary release. Any idea of the price point? Don't worry, we will pay it.

Please do whatever is necessary to get this finished and released in time for Christmas this year. You can always release an update the following June or so adding other small chrome bits you couldn't quite get in. I know you mentioned one of these in your update. At this point, chrome will have to wait. Don't need any videos or history stories etc. Just need the basic systems and processes.

And hello to everyone.

< Message edited by HansHafen -- 2/3/2008 9:42:11 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 493
RE: When? - 2/3/2008 10:58:07 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Welcome.

I believe Matrix has listed a price for MWIF in their catalog. Though I guess it could be changed prior to accepting orders.

Steve

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 494
RE: When? - 2/9/2008 4:39:39 AM   
YohanTM2

I'm sure the French would be saying C'est La Guerre over this one :)
quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

on the brightside we are still looking at a release date of 2008, pity was longing fwd to getting hold of the game after origins, still as they say in France 'that's life' and as flipper said better right then broken.

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 495
RE: When? - 2/11/2008 11:36:20 PM   
Sewerlobster

These updates should be an industry standard. I am literally glad to wait, I've had this game since the early 80's -- Now -- even if there are bugs with my inital purchase, I'll have seen the hard work and vicariously suffered with the programmers. Hope they make a bundle of bucks, so others will do as they did.

Post #: 496
RE: When? - 2/17/2008 7:07:17 AM   
christian h.

Long-time lurker: Thanks, Steve! I understand it's frustrating to have to delay the finishing touch of your work, but we all support you 100%. This must be the best-communicated software project I've seen, and I'm sure the result is going to be worth the wait.

Post #: 497
RE: When? - 2/21/2008 12:51:44 AM   
Executioner Five

I'd love to believe differently, but this basically means a 2009 release, unless you believe there aren't going to be ANY more release delays, since once you get too close to the holidays I'm sure Matrix will hold it over till '09.

[size=8}ITMFA

(in reply to christian h.)
Post #: 498
RE: When? - 2/21/2008 4:16:39 AM   
Mad Cow

Good luck with this game. I looks and sounds excellent. 

(in reply to Executioner Five)
Post #: 499
RE: When? - 2/28/2008 5:50:32 AM   
borner

With a game this complex, I salute ya'll for wanting to take the time and get it right. If that's Dec of 2009, so be it. (Hopefully it will not take that long though)

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 500
RE: When? - 2/29/2008 10:50:09 PM   
kwypto77

How would I go about being a beta tester?

Post #: 501
RE: When? - 2/29/2008 11:31:26 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwypto77

How would I go about being a beta tester?

Welcome.

Every 3 or 4 months we post a request in this forum asking for beta testers. We use to keep a list of people who wanted to be beta testers but found that while people were interested earlier, when it comes time for us to find new beta testers, many have lost interest.

So, our system has evolved to where we start fresh each time.

I will give at least a month's warning that we are going to be posting a request for additional beta testers. And we will leave the 'recruitment' period open for at least a week, with no advantage to being the first or disadvantage to being the last to sign up durnig that period.

Our criteria for selection has evolved too.
1 - We look for people who are active in the forum - by which we mean they have been making posts. The longer they have been involved and the more thoughtful their posts, the more attractive they are to us as beta testers.
2 - We give precedence to people who have been helping with the unit writeups. Capitan is always looking for help with the Land unit writeups and I am the person to contact concerning the the Naval unit writeups (send one of us a PM). The air unit writeups are 99% done and Greyshaft wants to finish his work on them himself. The reason I list this criterion separately from #1 is that some people do a lot of writeups but do not necessarily make very many posts to the forum.
3 - I am looking for people who want to help with the AI Opponent. This requires a certain combination of skills. People who are helping out with AIO will have to have access to the beta eventually (probably starting this summer).
4 - As to your personal background, we fulfill rough 'quotas' of getting people who are new/experinced with World in Flames and new/experienced with war games in general, and new/experienced as beta testers.

To give a short answer to your question: participate in the forum, help out where you can, and log in at least once a week.

Steve

(in reply to kwypto77)
Post #: 502
RE: When? - 2/29/2008 11:52:09 PM   
warspite1

Steve

I have recently signed up to assist in the British, Canadian and Indian Land Unit write ups.  I assumed that the Naval units were done but your point 2 above indicates that is not the case.  If not I would be delighted to help out on these as well?  Are any Naval units o/s?

Post #: 503
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 12:34:28 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Steve

I have recently signed up to assist in the British, Canadian and Indian Land Unit write ups.  I assumed that the Naval units were done but your point 2 above indicates that is not the case.  If not I would be delighted to help out on these as well?  Are any Naval units o/s?

Thanks for the offer.

I'll try to get a current list of what has been done and what is pending. Once I have that I'll send it to you - and post it for others to see.

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 504
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 5:15:19 AM   
panzers

I am brand new on this site, and I am amazed at all the manlove for Steve.
I must say though that I am greatly impressed by all this and I, too have your full and total support. All I care about is that you do this right and make it good at the time it is finally released and I believe you are doing exactly that. Kudos to you, Steve.
I think we all have to understand the massive undertaking with such a game as this. I am just as happy as a fly on doggy doo doo that this is even going to happen I've waited this long, and will wait even longer if I have to. JUST GET IT RIGHT! That is all I care about. I may have not gotten on here, but I have known about this game being in develepment ever since I have bought games from Matrix. When I saw that this was in development, I almost fell off the chair. So I have known about it for quite some time now. I am only looking at all these WiF forums now because they finally released EIA which meant to me that it leaves us with only 1 ADG game left to worry about.
When this game is finally completed, it will undoubtably be the most massively complex, detailed, and difficult game ever produced in the history of the computer gaming industry, including world of warcraft. So let's all give Steve some slack here. To me, all the delays are to be expected. After all, we all have played the game, so what else do you expect.
This game in no way shape or form is meant for the feint of heart.
You have my full and complete blessing Steve. You seem to be very committed to this and I appreciate it very much, although I still think DOD should still be a part of the equasion, but that's another story for another thread.
Incidentally: what time zone is this, anyway. Obviously it's somewhere in Europe.

< Message edited by panzers -- 3/1/2008 5:23:21 AM >

Post #: 505
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 10:33:01 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

March 1, 2008 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Accomplishments of February

Project Management
December 2008 is the scheduled release date for MWIF product 1. I am still planning on attending Origins 2008 and demonstrating MWIF with multi-player capability over a network there.

Communications
I monitored all the threads in the MWIF World in Flames forum daily and uploaded versions 7.02 through 7.04 to the beta testers. The beta testers send me numerous bug reports for each new release.

Patrice continues to be a tremendous help on the map and tutorials - amongst numerous other things. Marcus Watney gave us many helpful critiques of map sections this past month.

Capitan continues to coordinate work on the land unit descriptions written by himself and other forum members.

Peter Skoglund has been very helpful in fleshing out the details of LAIO (Language for Artificial Intelligence Opponent). Richard Dazeley has commented on same as well.

Harry Rowland pointed John Zielinski in my direction and John has started sending me detailed spreadsheets of the units in WIF (covering all the different add-ons and versions), comparing them to historical units. Essentially John has put together a definitive OOB (order of battle) for WW II and then lined it up side by side with the units from WIF products. I say WW II, but to be more precise, it covers pre-war and post-war units too: DOD through Patton in Flames/America in Flames.

My conversation with the printer about printing the entire world map resulted in an outlandish cost. Erik Rutkins at Matrix is looking into whether they can find a lower priced vendor.

Nothing from Rob Armstrong (graphics). All he has left are splash screens (2) and box art.

Dan Hatchen has been hired by Matrix Games to work on NetPlay and PBEM. My schedule has NetPlay technical code done in March and the technical code for PBEM done in May.

Robert Nebel (Nebert) has been getting help from Jimm in developing test scripts and plans. When he gets a chance he’ll upload revised test plans/scripts for the beta testers.

No communications with Chris Marinacci.

Software Development Tools
I have not installed ThemeEngine July/2007 yet. I am waiting until after we get NetPlay working.

Beta Testing
Versions 7.02 through 7.04 primarily corrected bugs. I did add new functionality and spiffed up the user interface in places. For details on the new functionality, see below.

Units
Unit writeups are continuing, with slow but steady progress on land units, although naval units have ground to a halt - unless I am mistaken(?).

The new information we received from John Zielinski has us reviewing what we have. But many of John’s comments are for significant changes in the units, including the addition of over 100 new land units. Clearly this is out of scope for MWIF product 1 and requires major decisions by ADG (Harry Rowland) before they can be considered for later MWIF products.

Some of John’s corrections to the units Patrice and I had already made. We’ll definitely make the cosmetic changes John provided, such as correcting the date sunk. It is likely that we will change some of the unit availability dates too, though that will done on a unit by unit basis - our main concern being whether it affects game play.

Map
Marcus Watney identified several major problems with the map, to which Patrice, with help from other forum members, was able to thrash out solutions. Most importantly, the rerouting of the Yellow River in China had been missed by everyone. In 1938, the Communist Chinese blew up the canals and dams that had been built to route the Yellow River to the north. This resulted in the Yellow River returning to it historical southern route to the sea, and the flooding of an enormous area. In game terms, this means that about a dozen river hexsides needed to be changed and 3 new lake hexsides added.

This change causes the historical front lines in China in 1939 to make a lot more sense. Previously, the Chinese frontline was across a bunch of clear hexes and they looked like dead meat. Now they have a river/lake line protecting them. Other revisions, usually prompted by Marcus, have been done to Australia, New Zealand, and the islands in the South Pacific.

Scenario Setup
Scenario data remains stable.

Optional Rules
No substantial progress on implementing the optional rules that remain to be coded.

Player Interface
I added functionality to the Naval Review Details form (NRD). Specifically, the form can be used to cycle through all the sea areas and ports on the map and see the units therein, sorted by naval unit type (e.g., carriers, battleships, etc.). Approximately 50 units can be seen at once. You can also filter the units displayed by Axis, Allied, and current major power. Those filters are cumulative and are intended to let you look at just your units (major power) or just one side’s units. If a sea area or port contains no units, then it is skipped; and given that there are 83 sea areas and even more ports, that’s a good thing.

What remains to be done for the NRD is to line up the cargo with its transports. For instance, to have the carrier air units right alongside their carriers so at a glance you can see which carriers have air units assigned and which are empty. I also need to create vertical scroll bars for the unit lists.

I laid out the design and functionality for the Naval Review Summary form (NRS), down to the level of having actually created/coded the form. However, I haven’t yet written the code to instantiate it using game data. The NRD and NRS will work together, with each of them taking up half a screen width. The idea here is that the NRS will show 13 sea areas and ports, with summary statistics for each of them. The player can then click on any sea area or port and the NRD will show all the units therein. Because the NRS can only show 13 locations at a time, I will let the player create, save, and restore groups of 13 locations. Here the purpose is to let the player review the sea areas and ports important to such things as: a convoy pipeline, a strategic sea area (e.g., North Sea), and a potential invasion site (e.g., Honolulu, Italian Coast).

I vastly improved several of the Naval Combat forms. Note that there are almost a dozen forms designed expressly for naval units. I am increasing the size (i.e., screen footprint) of the forms so more units can be displayed at once. I have also added a maximum resolution (zoom 8) depiction of a single unit so the player can move the cursor over individual units and see each one clearly.

Yesterday I tried increasing the basic size of units appearing in unit lists in naval forms from zoom 4 to zoom 5. That makes a big difference for naval units - you can easily read each unit’s name at zoom 5. I don’t know if I want to do that everywhere, since increasing the size of the unit depiction means that fewer units can be seen simultaneously. But in the one case I tried, it worked very well, so I think I will use zoom 5 whenever space isn’t a serious constraint. The NRD already uses zoom 5.

Internet - NetPlay
Nothing new.

CWIF Conversion
I revised all the code related to building lists of sea areas and ports. These are used for: (1) determining legal moves for naval units, (2) determining supply for units overseas, and (3) routing resource and build points over seas. When the player clicks on a naval unit, or units, in the naval movement phase, the program immediately determines all the legal moves for that unit, taking into consideration weather (e.g., iced in ports) and political restrictions (e.g., Gibraltar). This includes checking for where the moving unit might be intercepted by enemy units. Armed with this foreknowledge, the program can instantly provide feedback on legal/illegal moves as the player hovers the unit(s) over sea areas and ports.

Other than the above, nothing new on the supply line routines.

MWIF Game Engine
I continue to convert game play decisions to Game Record Log entries to support NetPlay.

Saved Games
I keep this functioning at all times. Sadly, I still have to change the format structure occasionally, which renders all previously saved games obsolete. That’s an ongoing aggravation to myself and all the beta testers.

Player’s Manual
Rules as Coded (RAC) is stable and I consider it finished. No other work is planned on documentation until May.

PBEM
Nothing new, scheduled for early summer.

Nothing new, scheduled for fall.

Nothing new, scheduled for late summer.

AI Opponent
I have the AIO tasks scheduled for the summer, but since Peter has been willing to put in a lot of time and effort on this, I have shifted some of that work to the present.

I finished typing in my AIO notes specific to each of the 8 major powers, which I wrote up when I was in Europe in the spring. I made some progress on doing the same for my notes that apply to all major powers. By the way, I have decided to call the later the Universal Rules Set, since they apply to all major powers. Rules within the Universal Rules Set are then replaced by rules in each Major Power Rules Set, when the latter are available. The majority of the rules specific to a major power are for its strategic planning, of course.

Peter and I have defined the fundamentals for LAIO (Language for the Artificial Intelligence Opponent). We have the constants, variables, operators, syntax, and overall structure for a rule laid out in pretty good detail. What we are working on now is refining how to call functions, manipulate lists (e.g., sort a list of air units by air-to-air value), and access variable attributes (e.g., anti-air factors for a surface combat ship).

We have 1 of the 143 rules partially complete: FM 33, choosing assault or blitz as the land combat results table. There are scads of language details to fill in but if we can get the basic elements of LAIO down, that will be mostly tedious typing. For instance, every unit has numerous attributes associated with it within MWIF. We will have to type in the correspondence between LAIO variables and MWIF variables: Air2Air AirAir, Air2Sea AirSea and so on for hundreds of attributes and functions that a rule may need to reference.

Other
My quartet delivered 16 singing valentines on the 13th and 14th of February, though most of those were done with a substitute baritone, since Kamu had to work during the day. A singing valentine is 4 guys singing 2 very short barbershop 4 part harmony songs, a rose, and a card. We had about a 60% success rate, where we measure success by whether the woman cries or not. At one gig we sang for a beautician in a nail salon and had her, her boss, and the customer who was getting a pedicure all crying. Women just love this romantic stuff. At another gig we sang for a kindergarten teacher, and because they have classrooms without walls, the audience was 100+ kids and a dozen teachers. Her husband (who had ordered the singing valentine) was there, and though his wife managed to mostly keep her composure during our singing, her husband had tears running down both cheeks.

The guys next door, working on the 5 story children’s hospital, are now putting in the floor for the first level. I couldn’t figure out how they were going to pour concrete for the higher floors. The solution , obvious in retrospect, is that they are using precast sections and simply putting them in place. Precast horizontal beams span the vertical columns and the precast floor sections lay between the beams.
February summary: Progress on the naval phases is slow but steady. I hadn’t given naval routines and forms much attention until now, so it is taking me time to understand that CWIF code and add comments once I figure out what the code is doing. AIO development is running ahead of schedule, which is good since NetPlay is behind schedule.

Tasks for March

Communications
Continue monitoring the forum threads.

Map and Units
Make corrections to the map on the 15th. This is now my standard schedule for map updates.

Beta Testing
Upload versions weekly. [est. 2 hours]

Redesign of MWIF Game Engine
Continue to work through the sequence of play giving each phase its own module. [est. 100 hours]

CWIF Conversion
Continue converting from CWIF style internet formats to Game Record Log Formats. [est. 10 hours]

Test the new random number generator. [est. 1 hour]

Player Interface
Finish the code for determining and displaying supply lines. [est. 15 hours]

Complete the Task Forces and Naval Review forms. Implement Task Forces as a new “unit type”. [est. 60 hours]

Create Unit and hex lists for air missions. [est 20 hours in May]

Display the sequence of play (SOP) on the screen so the player knows where he is within the SOP and what is coming up next. [est. 20 hours in May]

NetPlay
Test the bidding capability using NetPlay. [est. 10 hours]
Incorporate the Indy10 code for the two player system into MWIF. [est. 20 hours]
Incorporate the multi-player (more than 2) system into MWIF. [est. 30 hours]

AI Opponent
Define LAIO variables with their supporting functions. Write a parser for LAIO. Create a few rules as text and encode them for testing the parser. [est. 10 hours in March; 140 hours in June - July]

Nothing scheduled until September.

Player’s Manual
Nothing scheduled until May.

Nothing scheduled until July.

Other
It looks like our chorus will have a gig every weekend in March. We use them to practice the new songs we will be singing in our annual show (first weekend in May).
March summary: Keep the beta testers busy and respond to their bug reports. Work with Dan on NetPlay. Continue work on Game Record Log conversions to support NetPlay for entire sequence of play. Devote the most time to the getting the New Game Engine to advance through the sequence of play. Finish the revisions to the player interface for Naval Review and Task Forces.

Steve

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 506
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 10:56:37 PM   
warspite1

Quote:

Harry Rowland pointed John Zielinski in my direction and John has started sending me detailed spreadsheets of the units in WIF (covering all the different add-ons and versions), comparing them to historical units. Essentially John has put together a definitive OOB (order of battle) for WW II and then lined it up side by side with the units from WIF products. I say WW II, but to be more precise, it covers pre-war and post-war units too: DOD through Patton in Flames/America in Flames.

Units
Unit writeups are continuing, with slow but steady progress on land units, although naval units have ground to a halt - unless I am mistaken(?).

The new information we received from John Zielinski has us reviewing what we have. But many of John’s comments are for significant changes in the units, including the addition of over 100 new land units. Clearly this is out of scope for MWIF product 1 and requires major decisions by ADG (Harry Rowland) before they can be considered for later MWIF products.

Some of John’s corrections to the units Patrice and I had already made. We’ll definitely make the cosmetic changes John provided, such as correcting the date sunk. It is likely that we will change some of the unit availability dates too, though that will done on a unit by unit basis - our main concern being whether it affects game play.

Steve

With regard to you comments above, can you confirm what this all means?  Is it likely that unit numbers/names will be changed in MWIF?  If so clearly this could have a large bearing on the amount of time needed to finish the unit write ups and to take into account changes to existing write ups already done.  Don`t get me wrong, from my personal perspective - doing the British, Canadian, Indian land units - I am more than happy to trade the extra work for more historical accuracy in the unit designations but would appreciate as early a heads up as possible so I can plan accordingly.  Just to repeat, if you can confirm the position with the naval units I am more than willing to get stuck in if there are ships still waiting to be done.

Post #: 507
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 11:20:15 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Quote:

Units

Steve

With regard to you comments above, can you confirm what this all means?  Is it likely that unit numbers/names will be changed in MWIF?  If so clearly this could have a large bearing on the amount of time needed to finish the unit write ups and to take into account changes to existing write ups already done.  Don`t get me wrong, from my personal perspective - doing the British, Canadian, Indian land units - I am more than happy to trade the extra work for more historical accuracy in the unit designations but would appreciate as early a heads up as possible so I can plan accordingly.  Just to repeat, if you can confirm the position with the naval units I am more than willing to get stuck in if there are ships still waiting to be done.

So far, John has only sent me spread sheets for land units. I forwarded one to Mziln for the Japanese. I'll send all of them to Capitan.

As I kind of indicated, I am not sure what I am going to do with John's information. One idea I have is to provide it to the people doing writeups as information and for validation.

Steve

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 508
RE: When? - 3/1/2008 11:48:34 PM   
jesperpehrson

Sounds good Steve. I will have look when I get them and see what I can make of it.

The writeups are doing progress and it is steady. I predict we will finish before summer (barring any new additions). This said it is worrying that no-one is doing the Japanese. I am hoping someone here has the interest in taking up the reins for this glorious nation.

Post #: 509
RE: When? - 3/2/2008 12:41:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: capitan

Sounds good Steve. I will have look when I get them and see what I can make of it.

The writeups are doing progress and it is steady. I predict we will finish before summer (barring any new additions). This said it is worrying that no-one is doing the Japanese. I am hoping someone here has the interest in taking up the reins for this glorious nation.

Didn't Mziln say he was working on them?

Steve

(in reply to jesperpehrson)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: When? Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI