Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Teleporting corps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Teleporting corps Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Teleporting corps - 2/5/2008 8:34:49 AM   
Grognot

Attached -- backup save file for France, in a France/GB PBEM game (5 AIs) where the GB Guards corps has inexplicably teleported (from Italy, IIRC) into Paris, and other British corps have vanished. GB is host.

Game was started in 1.01 beta 1, IIRC. Said game was previously stalled due to occupation of London by Swedish corps -- GB required to sue Sweden for peace, but that's not an option. Game was un-stalled by letting the AI play that diplomatic phase.

Edit -- Attachment not showing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Grognot -- 2/5/2008 8:37:53 AM >

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 181
Minor country income - 2/5/2008 10:32:46 AM   
bresh

I notiched minor free states, even when controlled by a nation allied to GB (havent check if owned by GB), and who GB trades with, does not get any trade income ?

Sounds like a bug. Acording to manual rule 12.2.3 states :
minor free states gain double the printed money&manpower values printed on the map. To this is added the money value of any domestic trade.
Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 2/7/2008 1:17:37 PM >

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 182
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/5/2008 4:50:40 PM   
ndrose

Russia declares war on Sweden, Britain gets control. A couple of possible bugs arise:

First, Britain places a British garrison (as well as the Swedish one) in Stockholm, but there's no depot there. How did they do that? Also, are they allowed to do that even with a depot if they're not supporting the minor by going to war with Russia? (Maybe they are; but it creates a weird situation, as follows.)

Then, the British garrison starts causing other problems. First month, Russia gets no breach, but the Swedish garrison starves, leaving the British garrison. The game then moves the Russian corps out of siege. I suppose that's because Russia and Britain are not at war. However, the Russian corps is not allowed inside the city (which presumably it should be with only a neutral garrison there?) and cannot detach factors to garrison. So the Brit. garrison is treated as hostile for the purpose of Russia getting into the city, but as neutral for the purpose of Russia trying to besiege.

The game will let the Russian corps move back into siege position, but will not let it attempt to assault the city. I haven't seen yet whether the siege puts the British garrison out of supply so that it might at least eventually starve; if not, I guess there will be no way ever to get into the city....

Nathan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 183
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/5/2008 5:32:17 PM   
ndrose

Here are files for the surrender bug.

Game started in 1.01b. Russia at war with Turkey. As you can see in the diplomatic phase (attached), France and Turkey are not only not at war, they are allied.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 184
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/5/2008 5:33:29 PM   
ndrose

And here is the reinforcement phase (immediately after diplomacy). Turkey has surrendered--to France.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 185
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/5/2008 8:25:58 PM   
ndrose

Even worse instance of the surrender bug; attaching file in case the difference, whatever it is, can help you figure out the problem.

Russia at war with Austria, Austria surrenders to France (not at war).

What makes this one worse is that, whereas usually if I just replay the phase the bug won't repeat, in this case Austria is determined to surrender to France. I even tried going back to the economic phase, but no luck.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 186
Turkish AI making illegal moves, depot placement - 2/7/2008 6:35:20 AM   
Grognot

This awaited my Russian land phase --

* a Turkish depot co-located with one of mine
* Turkish corps co-located with multiple of mine

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 187
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/7/2008 4:35:24 PM   
WJPalmer1

Nelson PP Bug in Blockade Break Situations -

This occurred both in a PBEM game of mine and when I tested it later in a desktop game playing Spain and GB as human. The file attached is the save game files from the PBEM occurrence and is described below:

Nelson and fleets sailed from Gibraltar to Cagliari to break the blockade of two Austrian-controlled Neapolitan Fleets on that port. Britain won the naval combat with the Naples fleets retreating to Palermo, but only two PP's were tallied for the fleets - nothing for Nelson's presence.

Thanks,
Ron

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 188
Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/8/2008 6:24:02 AM   
Jimmer

Situation: AI Russia has declared war on Sweden. France got her, and decided to try something odd: Placing the bulk of the Swedish troops in Sveaborg, in a corps counter. To make the ruse work, I put a 1-factor corps into the two capitals (Stockholm and Abo). As expected, Russia attacked Abo, but left Sveaborg alone. Russia also did not garrison his depot between Sveaborg and Viborg, leaving a tender, tasty morsel for the Swedes to eat.

Russia attacked Abo, broke in, and killed the factor. Then, Russia placed one of her own factors in what looked like the city. However, as will be seen in the picture, it is actually a RURAL garrison, and it is besieging the empty city!

Anyhow. Sweden attacks Abo, and besieges the city. Or, rather, clicks the button that does double-duty: Move into the city or besiege. Well, in this case, it moved Sweden's corps into the city all right, to be besieged by Russia's 1-factor garrison. This went on for 3-4 turns. I kept wondering how I was never breaking in, and then it dawned on me: I wasn't even being given the chance! When I looked carefully, I saw the problem: Russia's 1-factor city garrison (see the picture of the unit in the picture) wasn't IN the city, but in the rural area.

Nothing I could do could correct the problem. I gave up on the game.

NOTE: This is version 1.01b (beta).

Attachment (1)

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 189
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/8/2008 7:43:12 AM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Situation: AI Russia has declared war on Sweden. France got her, and decided to try something odd: Placing the bulk of the Swedish troops in Sveaborg, in a corps counter. To make the ruse work, I put a 1-factor corps into the two capitals (Stockholm and Abo). As expected, Russia attacked Abo, but left Sveaborg alone. Russia also did not garrison his depot between Sveaborg and Viborg, leaving a tender, tasty morsel for the Swedes to eat.

Russia attacked Abo, broke in, and killed the factor. Then, Russia placed one of her own factors in what looked like the city. However, as will be seen in the picture, it is actually a RURAL garrison, and it is besieging the empty city!

Anyhow. Sweden attacks Abo, and besieges the city. Or, rather, clicks the button that does double-duty: Move into the city or besiege. Well, in this case, it moved Sweden's corps into the city all right, to be besieged by Russia's 1-factor garrison. This went on for 3-4 turns. I kept wondering how I was never breaking in, and then it dawned on me: I wasn't even being given the chance! When I looked carefully, I saw the problem: Russia's 1-factor city garrison (see the picture of the unit in the picture) wasn't IN the city, but in the rural area.

This looks like a variant of the same problem i described here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1690458 Have so far not seen any official comment on this kind of problem. I will look with interest for any official comment.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 190
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 1:05:38 AM   
Monadman

quote:

Jimmer,

I don’t see a rural garrison in Finland. When I run your file everything works just fine. Did you post the correct file? If so, load it again and see if you can duplicate the problem. This may be one of those AI bugs that happen infrequently and are hard to trap with saved games files.

Richard

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 191
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 2:26:21 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monadman
Jimmer,

I don’t see a rural garrison in Finland. When I run your file everything works just fine. Did you post the correct file? If so, load it again and see if you can duplicate the problem. This may be one of those AI bugs that happen infrequently and are hard to trap with saved games files.

Richard

Look carefully in the box with corps counters and garrisons. I don't know what it's called, but it's the one next to the mini-map. It's hard to read, but notice that I have "Besieging Units (City)" currently selected. The only problem is that it's the SWEDES who are supposed to be besieging. Well, not in the picture I show here. I moved them to the other half of the area (rural) so it would be clear that the Russians were alone, besieging (themselves?).

Note also that the garrison's picture is NOT in the city.

I've zipped up four pictures for this post. One of Sweden's corps selected and in "Rural Area". The second is "Units in city". The third is a cropped version of the one from before (Russia's garrison besieging in city). The last one is from a nearby Russian city, showing what the garrison SHOULD look like.

Now, take the saved game from the last post and try besieging the city, and then quit the land phase. There will not be a battle selected. I believe the reason is because the "besieging" force is not phasing (i.e. the Russians are considered besieging). However, the picture is not complete. I can pay for invasion supply. If I were truly being besieged, I would have to build a depot inside the city.

Anyhow, it's VERY strange.

By the way, Sveaborg's garrison is in approximately the same condition, except there's no Swedes up there to mess things up.

Attachment (1)

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 192
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 4:58:25 AM   
zaquex

Plz have a look at this save

I think it might be remotly related to the problems jimmer describes.

it starts in the naval phase, when you end this phase study carefully what happens in linz

make sure to rerun it until the austrian corp doesnt get a breach and you will discover alot of things wrong as described in http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=1690458.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zaquex -- 2/9/2008 5:00:05 AM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 193
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 7:29:15 AM   
zaquex

I experienced an interesting repatriation "bug" that at least is new to me even though it might have been reported before.

Playing France I'm besieging Vienna with Napoleon and 4 corps in the area is also Murat with a cav corp but he is not besieging the city.

In the diplomacy phase Austria surrenders unconditionally, ceding bohemia, tyrol and moravia to france. Paying full reparations and giving enforced access to france.

The french forces under napoleon are now repatriated to the new french moravia protectorate but murat in the same area is not repatriated.

The consequenses of this is apart from being inconsistant and wrong also that the french guard corp no longer are within one area of a depot and reinforcements are lost.

Need this to be looked into or alternativly a confirmation its fixed in 1.02

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 194
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 2:39:13 PM   
bresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: zaquex

I experienced an interesting repatriation "bug" that at least is new to me even though it might have been reported before.

Playing France I'm besieging Vienna with Napoleon and 4 corps in the area is also Murat with a cav corp but he is not besieging the city.

In the diplomacy phase Austria surrenders unconditionally, ceding bohemia, tyrol and moravia to france. Paying full reparations and giving enforced access to france.

The french forces under napoleon are now repatriated to the new french moravia protectorate but murat in the same area is not repatriated.

The consequenses of this is apart from being inconsistant and wrong also that the french guard corp no longer are within one area of a depot and reinforcements are lost.

Could be fixed in 1.02, think Marshal wrote instead of teleporting corps, you might get 3 months to leave ?

Regards
Bresh

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 195
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 4:41:14 PM   
ndrose

I think what Zaquex is describing may not be fixed by the three-month grace period since it is not prevented now by the forced access peace condition. I've seen it too.

If you have forced access, your forces are generally left where they are when the war ends instead of being repatriated. However, there are certain positions which are not legal for them--they can't still be besieging, and they can't be inside the capital; the defeated country, having surrendered, has a right to his own capital. So those forces do have to be moved.

The problem is that instead of just being moved out to the rural area, which is what would make most sense, besieging or in-city forces get repatriated as if there were no forced access (even at the same time that the rest of the army, out in the rural area, stays in place).

I saw this with the French in London--London falls, one French corps moves inside the city, Britain surrenders. The French army remains at London, with forced access, except the corps in the city--which ends up in Wales. With forced access, you can still get it home, of course; but as Zaquex says, it may be temporarily out of supply.

Nathan Rose

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 196
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 4:46:31 PM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh

quote:

Could be fixed in 1.02, think Marshal wrote instead of teleporting corps, you might get 3 months to leave ?

Regards
Bresh

The thing is that france has enforced access so there should not even be a 3 month to leave clause activated, what I understand the corps under napoleon should just be moved to rural area.

btw according to the EiA rules

"7.3.7.1 ENEMY CORPS OR CITY GARRISON IN AREA: ... if any friendly forces in an area besiege enemy forces then all friendly forces in that area (except depot garrisons) must besiege the enemy forces."

This rule is not implemented in EiANW, but would save a fair bit of clicking corps back and forward, it might also make it easier to structure the logic of the game if it was enforced.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 197
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/9/2008 4:56:13 PM   
zaquex

quote:

ORIGINAL: ndrose

Russia declares war on Sweden, Britain gets control. A couple of possible bugs arise:

First, Britain places a British garrison (as well as the Swedish one) in Stockholm, but there's no depot there. How did they do that? Also, are they allowed to do that even with a depot if they're not supporting the minor by going to war with Russia? (Maybe they are; but it creates a weird situation, as follows.)

Then, the British garrison starts causing other problems. First month, Russia gets no breach, but the Swedish garrison starves, leaving the British garrison. The game then moves the Russian corps out of siege. I suppose that's because Russia and Britain are not at war. However, the Russian corps is not allowed inside the city (which presumably it should be with only a neutral garrison there?) and cannot detach factors to garrison. So the Brit. garrison is treated as hostile for the purpose of Russia getting into the city, but as neutral for the purpose of Russia trying to besiege.

The game will let the Russian corps move back into siege position, but will not let it attempt to assault the city. I haven't seen yet whether the siege puts the British garrison out of supply so that it might at least eventually starve; if not, I guess there will be no way ever to get into the city....

Nathan

This is a serious anomaly and a breach of the rules

As soon as you besiege none hostile forces in an area you are at war with the neutral forces are immidiatly forced to surrender

If marshall implements this rule alot of anomalies disapears

Regards

zaq

< Message edited by zaquex -- 2/9/2008 5:01:05 PM >

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 198
RE: Reporting Bugs (as of v.1.01b) - 2/9/2008 5:03:13 PM   
Trin

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ndrose

Nathan

This is a serious anomaly and a breach of the rules

As soon as you besiege none hostile forces in an area you are at war with the neutral forces are immidiatly forced to surrender

If marshall implements this rule alot of anomalies disapears

Regards

zaq

Agreed. Its bothered me quite a few times in the examples people quote of strange behaviours.

10.3.3 NEUTRAL GARRISONS IN ENEMY TERRITORY: Neutral garrisons or portions of garrisons (army factors belonging to a major power not at war with any of the besieging corps) in a city belonging to an enemy of a besieging corps must surrender as soon as a siege of the city is announced. These surrendered army factors and corps are automatically "exchanged" and automatically returned to the map as reinforcements during the surrendered forces next Army Reinforcement Step.

Trin

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 199
Piracy - 2/9/2008 10:32:47 PM   
Jimmer

I reported this somewhere else, but can't find it and I don't believe it was answered anyhow. By the way, the search engine is broken. Doesn't find anything at all.

Anyhow, the bug is that Piracy in the actual game seems to be ignored when a nation is not trading with GB. However, the rules clearly state that piracy operates against "trade", not just "British trade".

If GB assigns a fleet to a piracy mission against France (who is at war with GB), it all seems to work. But, the next turn, the fleet will no longer be assigned to any nation. It's just sitting there using up saltwater.

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 200
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/9/2008 11:05:00 PM   
Monadman

Jimmer and zaquex

That is the programs {ahem} strange way of reporting a unit’s location in the Selected Area Info box when the side that controls the city does not also control the territory. Although functional when working (albeit illogical as presented) there are now problems associated with it (not the first time either).

Added it to the list, thanks for the files guys.

Richard

(in reply to zaquex)
Post #: 201
RE: Piracy - 2/9/2008 11:15:38 PM   
Monadman

quote:

If GB assigns a fleet to a piracy mission against France (who is at war with GB), it all seems to work. But, the next turn, the fleet will no longer be assigned to any nation. It's just sitting there using up saltwater.

Jimmer,

Click on the fleet in the Privateer screen. Its target should be highlighted with a red border.

Richard

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 202
RE: Besieging GARRISON??? - 2/10/2008 1:08:03 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

Jimmer and zaquex

That is the programs {ahem} strange way of reporting a unit’s location in the Selected Area Info box when the side that controls the city does not also control the territory. Although functional when working (albeit illogical as presented) there are now problems associated with it (not the first time either).

Added it to the list, thanks for the files guys.

Richard

I TOLD you it was weird. Strange. VERY strange.

It was hard to catch, too. I didn't even notice it until several months went by.

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 203
RE: Piracy - 2/10/2008 1:13:05 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

quote:

Jimmer,

Click on the fleet in the Privateer screen. Its target should be highlighted with a red border.

Richard

Oh, I know how to do it. In Feb (or Mar; can't recall), I put 1 10-pt fleet on pirate duty, and selected France as its target. I double-checked at the end of naval move that month, and sure enough it was pointing at France (France was red).

In the econ phase, I noticed that there was no piracy roll made against France. This confused me.

So, anyhow, I thought maybe the interface messed up or something, so I went back to the same fleet again (still on piracy duty), and re-selected France as the target. Everything looked fine.

Until May. I checked again, and the fleet was no longer targetting France.

My guess is that the game doesn't honor the wording of the manual (piracy losses come from "trade"), and instead pirates only work against trade with GB.

Unfortunately, I took that fleet off pirate duty, so I can't give you the saved game. I'll try to reproduce in a non-PBEM game and post the save files.

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 204
RE: Piracy - 2/10/2008 6:54:58 PM   
Monadman

quote:

Unfortunately, I took that fleet off pirate duty, so I can't give you the saved game. I'll try to reproduce in a non-PBEM game and post the save files.

Got it. Was able to trap it in a PBEM test game on this end. Thanks again

Richard

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 205
RE: Piracy - 2/11/2008 1:42:23 AM   
Jimmer

I wish I worked for you guys. THIS is the kind of job I like (breaking into things, finding bugs, etc.)

This one was a monster to even SEE. I'm surprised you were able to pin it down this quickly.

Thanks!

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 206
RE: Piracy - 2/12/2008 2:30:58 PM   
bresh

Havent seen this before so not sure if its new.

In PBM history or info base game-log not sure what it is called.

January 1805.
France changed land move order, but it did not report in game-log ?
In the pbm-game i joined. GB changed their naval-move order, which also showed in game log. But nothing about any France land-move-changes.
So i expected France to move after all naval-stuff. Instead it was Russia ???

Turns out France changed its moveorder but without any reports. Sounds like a bug ?
Dont know if it only can show 1 change eg French/GB move ?

Regards
Bresh

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 207
RE: Piracy - 2/12/2008 5:39:14 PM   
Jimmer

Bresh,

I've seen that, too. I wasn't sure until two days ago if it was really happening, but yes, it was definitely not showing up (some times -- other times it worked).

I can get a saved game file showing this, if you guys need it (actually, gwheelock has the saved games where this is occurring.

Bresh, was your game a PBEM game, or a "human vs. AI" game? Ours is PBEM.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 208
RE: Piracy - 2/12/2008 6:10:36 PM   
bresh

quote:

Bresh,

I've seen that, too. I wasn't sure until two days ago if it was really happening, but yes, it was definitely not showing up (some times -- other times it worked).

I can get a saved game file showing this, if you guys need it (actually, gwheelock has the saved games where this is occurring.

Nope, all humans, I was wondering if gamelog only able to show 1 move-change during the turn, and Naval-move beeing first. So GB's in this case.
You might only see France changing move-order, if GB doesnt change his naval-moveorder same turn.

A few anoying bugs, which anoy me in pgm-games, in random order.
-This one :)
-The capital-surender(hopefully fixed 1.02)
-Even when controlling mp is trading with GB. Their free-states do not receive the domestic-trades as rules say.(havent checked if minors get, if GB is the controlling mp)
-Not able to lend corps with leader attached, its not noted in rules. And the point of lending corps to combine actions pretty much falls apart if you can only use 1 nations leaders.

Regards
Bresh
Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 2/12/2008 7:12:40 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 209
RE: Piracy - 2/12/2008 6:38:08 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh

quote:

Bresh,

Nope, all humans, I was wondering if gamelog only able to show 1 move-change during the turn, and Naval-move beeing first. So GB's in this case.
You might only see France changing move-order, if GB doesnt change his naval-moveorder same turn.

Regards
Bresh

No, that's not it. Well, it might be PART of the problem, but not the whole. Here's how our game went:

Jan France changes order. It shows in the log
Feb Both GB and France change order. Only GB's change shows in the log.
Mar through Jun: France changes order several times. GB does not. France's changes never show up in the log.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Teleporting corps Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI