Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

V.4 - Crash: Need help!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> V.4 - Crash: Need help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V.4 - Crash: Need help! - 9/20/2000 3:12:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

I've got a little problem here. I've upgraded from v2.3 to v4 and i'm not able to start a game!!! When i begin playing a scenario the game crashes to windows without any message!!! In a campaign game it's the same, but there i'm able to deploy my troops. When i start the battle - the game crashes... can anybody help me???

Post #: 1
- 9/20/2000 3:18:00 AM   
Voriax

My turn to make the mandatory 1st question Are you sure that you installed the patch with a correct pathname? The installer adds a subdirectory 'SP world at war' (or like that) even if you change the default install directory via the 'browse' option... Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 2
- 9/20/2000 3:33:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

Yes, i've installed the patch in the correct path... there no subdirectory "Steel Panthers..." in my game directory. I've also deleted the "steel.prf" file in the "save" folder but nothing seems to work...

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 3
- 9/21/2000 2:28:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

Just downloaded the full game file... Hoped that a full game install will work, but nothing changed!!! The game always crashes when i start giving orders... Can nobody really help me??? PS: I've additionally updated my whole drivers. but it just doesn't work...

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 4
- 9/21/2000 3:07:00 AM   
Voriax

Sturm, as you now play froma a fresh full install then we can forget the possible path problems...I'm not a good person debugging system problems I have had only one crash problem with SPWAW and it was fixed by Matrix gurus by silencing the fast artillery. Perhaps if you'd give full details of your computer system some other persons who have experienced similar behaviour could seek common items. Hmmm...do you have plenty of disk space? Perhaps it cannot create some temp file...any background stuff running? If yes, kill all of them and try again... Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 5
- 9/21/2000 3:10:00 AM   
BomBeer

I had a desktop crash on turn 9 of The real thing scen. I have the full version installed playing on win me. I just started over from the autosave and everything worked fine. Must have just been a little glitch. Last I still can't beat those damn cadets. My men must have been drinking the night before. BomBeer When you uninstalled you might want to check the registry and make sure all of the SPWaW entrys are gone then reinstall. Also what kind of video card do you have? [This message has been edited by BomBeer (edited September 20, 2000).]

IYAAYAS

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 6
- 9/21/2000 3:51:00 AM   
NOVA350

I too am having Crash problems. I am TRYING to play the SPWAW on W98se, Amd500mhz, 128mb RAM, ATi Rage Fury Pro 32MB, Vortex SQ2500 sound card. I have the version off the PC gamer disk I bought. Q3A demo, Q2, and other games work very well!?!. For SPWAW, I have done the following all to not avail... 1. Uninstalled/Reinstalled Game 2. Upgraded SoundCard Drivers 3. Uninstalled Reinstalled DirectX 7.0a 4. Used D-manager to turn graphic hardware acceleration OFF 5. Turned all game sounds OFF 6. Tried Game in 16bit Color 7. Checked for resource conflicts 8. Turned off unnecessary start up items 9. Deleted steel.prf 10. Changed Mech.exe to German mech.exe I, like Sturmtiger would like to play this game. I am out of ideas

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 7
- 9/21/2000 4:38:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

OK, here's my system. I have an AMD K7 at 700 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, ASUS V6800 32 MB and a Sound Blaster Live Player 1024 (newest driver installed for all components). I, like NOVA, have tried anything possible... Registry is clear after uninstalling SP 2.3 (which was working fine). Too bad that I can't play this really fantastic game But perhaps someone is a really crack and could solve this problem...

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 8
- 9/21/2000 4:40:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

Oh, I forgot. I'm using WIN98 (NOT SE).

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 9
- 9/22/2000 1:46:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

Something curious is going on here... Through a mistake i installed the v4 upgrade without an earlier version of SP on my hard disk. And... IT WORKS!!! No crash at all! My question - if no one knows another way - is there anything that i will miss, if i'll play the upgrade only??? Scenarios worked well but i haven't tried the campaigns...

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 10
- 9/22/2000 1:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Question for Sturm, You say version 4.0 upgrade. What do you mean. The complete game (343 megs) or only the 4.0 upgrade (143 megs). It would have to be the former because I don't think the latter can run by itself. Which one, Sturm? ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 11
- 9/22/2000 2:12:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

It's only the upgrade (143MB)! I've tried it twice. Installed ONLY the upgrade - it worked (no crash). Deinstalled. Installed the full game file (343MB) - crash. Deinstalled. Installed the upgrade - it works!!! Curious, isn't it?

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 12
- 9/22/2000 2:45:00 AM   
Tommy

Ut-Oh, we're going to have to get Rod Serling from Tech Support to work on this one! I can hear it now; "I submit, for your consideration, this upgrade from nothing ..." Sturm - can you confirm that there is no version pf SPWAW of any type, on your entire PC. ie, on the D: drive or something? I'm wondering if it's updateing a second or backup copy you stashed somewhere. Tommy

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 13
- 9/22/2000 3:04:00 AM   
Graf Speer

quote:

Ut-Oh, we're going to have to get Rod Serling from Tech Support to work on this one! I can hear it now; "I submit, for your consideration, this upgrade from nothing ..."
lol . . . (this is getting fun )

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 14
- 9/22/2000 3:18:00 AM   
Charles22

Perhaps he's installing into another form of SP directory, thereby enabling it to run in some form. SP3 would be my guess.

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 15
- 9/22/2000 4:17:00 PM   
Sturmtiger

There is NO other Version of SPWAW nor SP1-3 on my hard disk. On NO partition! It was, but I deinstalled it like i wrote before... Registry is also clean (no SPWAW entries) before installing ONLY the upgrade! Curious is, that SPWAW V2.1 (with update to 2.3) works fine if it is installed, full game of V4 is not working. (I've installed it almost up to 10 times)

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 16
- 9/22/2000 5:14:00 PM   
BobD

Just to jump in here.... I also installed the 143Mb upgrade on a machine with no previous version of the game (100% certain of that) and it starts up ok. I haven't pursued the idea of playing right through a scenario as I assumed it would crash at some point, but I looked through the encyclopedia and played around a bit without it crashing! By the way, on a technical note is it really a 143Mb file? My downloads indicated it was 136Mb - that is, 139,000kb, or 143,000,000 bytes - ie 143 million bytes, not 143 Mb! Is this correct? Can you clarify this, as it caused me to conclude that I had a fundamental download problem when it failed twice (IE5 terminated the download at 136Mb). In retrospect I think IE just had a timeout problem since there is a long delay between the last byte of the file arriving and IE confirming that it is ok - presumably its doing some sort of checksum... Cheers Bob

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 17
- 9/22/2000 11:23:00 PM   
Stefano Andreoni

I had a similar problem with on line games. I have tested several on line games with my my two PCs, but after some turns the games crashed and took me back to the desk top. The same thing happen during a single player game when I want to exit, the program take me back again on the desk top.

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 18
- 9/23/2000 1:09:00 AM   
Sturmtiger

GOT IT!!! OMG, it was a lot of work, but my SPWAW 4.0 now works! Through the fact that the upgrade works but the full game doesn't, i started to copy all files missing in the upgrade step by step from the "full-game" into the "upgrade-folder". the game crashed as i copied the "snd"-folder and i found out that, if i renamed the "1002.wav" the game doesn't crash anymore when beginning to give orders. Due to the fact that 1002.wav is the menu-sound this sound doesn't work no longer - but this is a thing i can easily live with!!! --- Sturmtiger is going to hunt now ---

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 19
- 9/23/2000 8:49:00 AM   
DrJLS

Sounds like a soundcard problem. I have a Vortex and Battle of Britian kept shutting down until I turned the 3D sound off. You might try doing that. ------------------ "And thats all I have to say about that." Dr JLS

"And thats all I have to say about that." Dr JLS

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 20
- 9/23/2000 10:32:00 AM   
NOVA350

Sturmtiger- which sound in the game is that exactly? Is that the menu music, or the click when you pick start turn, etc. I will also try this and hopefully, it will work for me as wel- NOTHING else has worked for me.. I am just wondering which sound this is because I have a different version of the game than you do and want to rename the right one..

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 21
- 9/23/2000 5:07:00 PM   
Sturmtiger

I renamed the file for the menu music. Only bad thing is that the german mech.exe doesn't work. If renaming the menu sound (something like 1002.wav) doesn't work - use the english one. It's working fine. [This message has been edited by Sturmtiger (edited September 23, 2000).]

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 22
- 9/23/2000 11:01:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Sturmtiger: I renamed the file for the menu music. Only bad thing is that the german mech.exe doesn't work. If renaming the menu sound (something like 1002.wav) doesn't work - use the english one. It's working fine.
Did you ever try to play the biggest .wav-files (1005,1023,1019, 1008, 1002) from the sdn-directory using mplayer? Maybe there's a problem with the bigger sound files on our machine ? Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 23
- 9/24/2000 1:30:00 AM   
NOVA350

I am curious to know if any of the people that have compiled and put this game together have tried to recreate this "crashing to the desktop" problem that some of us have had or still have. I have tried MANY things, and still have random crashes to the desktop. I can play through a few turns now though, which is a start, but a patch that fixes this problem for those of us who still have it would sure be great! :^)

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 24
- 9/26/2000 4:30:00 PM   
Sturmtiger

I've read in the Tech Support Forum that there are some problems playing the "WAV" Sound-Files using a Soundblaster Live-Player (different format). Will this problem be solved in V4.1??? Thought my problem was solved by deleting (renaming) some sound files but now i can't start a saved game...

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 25
- 9/26/2000 5:08:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Sturmtiger: I've read in the Tech Support Forum that there are some problems playing the "WAV" Sound-Files using a Soundblaster Live-Player (different format). Will this problem be solved in V4.1??? Thought my problem was solved by deleting (renaming) some sound files but now i can't start a saved game...
That's right - most reported problems seem to connect to this sound card, and there was a least one other card mentioned as well (dunno exactly, seemed a no-name to me..). Maybe there's a driver problem with PCI-soundcards .. I would strongly suggest that you try to play the biggest sounds (1005,1023,1019, 1008, 1002) with the media player - maybe there's a problem with the file size alone Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Sturmtiger)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> V.4 - Crash: Need help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI