Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/5/2008 5:56:11 PM   
Paper Tiger

Is it possible for myself and my opponent to take out our generals and shoot them? We are having a repeating problem with armies in the same location both armies set to seek battle but no battle happens we just get a long list of "battle avoided in" reports.
At first I thought my opponent was just getting lucky and avoiding battle repeatedly when I was trying to force one, but the number of avoided battles got to be ridiculous. This last turn alone we had 19 in all cases my forces at least were attempting to force battle.
My only suggestion is that the generals are cowards and refuse to fight.
In the previous turn this was also the case with approximately a dozen battles avoided despite the armies being set to seek battle.

So we have about 30 occasions in 2 turns where battle was avoided, with my army seeking it. Thinking this was a bit strange I checked out my opponents setup and found that he also is set to seek battle so battles should be automatic.
Post #: 1
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/5/2008 6:20:54 PM   
ericbabe

I'll have to check the code here.  Would you mind zipping and uploading your save files?

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/6/2008 11:28:08 AM   
Paper Tiger

OK sent the last couple of turns through to you Eric.
Does occur to me that there could be some relation to the fact that I changed from avoid battle to seek battle either in the turn that I moved into the same area as the enemy or after a turn of avoid battle in that area.
So I could have spent a turn avoiding battle and sieging a city at before I decided to take on the rebs in open battle.

It also occurs to me that any force commited to a siege should not be able to avoid battle without lifting the siege.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/6/2008 7:12:20 PM   
ericbabe

A force that is trying to avoid battle that has a friendly fort in the province has a greatly increased chance of avoiding battle (works out to be about 50% to avoid for the entire round).  I'll take a look at your save file and see what the percentages are.

Post #: 4
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/7/2008 12:55:44 PM   
soeren01

No one of us is trying to avoid battle. Both forces are set to seek battle.

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/7/2008 2:05:27 PM   
Paper Tiger

Yep both seeking battle, also we have failed to initiate a battle in 4 seperate locations this turn alone in which I was seeking battle. Plus 3 last turn where I was also seeking battle.
So even if Soeren was avoiding then at 50% for the turn in each location you get 50%*50%*50%*50%*50%*50%*50% = about 0.75% chance or 1 in 128 times and that does not include the turn before.
As it is after checking we both were seeking battle so we should have had a 100% chance of each one.

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/7/2008 3:51:41 PM   
ericbabe

Just to be clear about the rule, it's like a 90% to avoid any particular battle, which over a full turn works out to be about a 50% to avoid all the battles.  Over four turns it would only be a 1/16 chance to avoid all the battles.

Post #: 7
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/7/2008 11:03:49 PM   
Gil R.

Why are you guys so desperately eager to seek out battle? Can't you work out your differences in some other way?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 8
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/8/2008 12:14:25 AM   
soeren01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Why are you guys so desperately eager to seek out battle? Can't you work out your differences in some other way?

Having that much uninvited visitors on my doorstep makes me a bit nervous. I am just trying to show them the way out :)

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles - 2/13/2008 1:13:55 AM   
Paper Tiger

Each battle in a distinct location works out at 50% chance to avoid but as we have potential battles in 4 seperate locations all avoided that gives us 1/16 this turn add in three more locations avoided last turn and you get 1/16*1/8 = 1/128 but that is in effect immaterial as both sides were seeking battle so should have worked out at 0% chance of a battle being avoided and 0*0 is 0 no matter how often you do it.

As an aside in computing x/0 gets the computer really upset, but how does it handle it if x=0 0/0=1???

Is 0/0 a mathmatical paradox in that any number divided by itself is exactly 1 by definition,except that in the case of 0 where 0 can be divided exactly by n*0 exactly once where n is any number from 0 up to infinity and therefore by definition 0/0 is both exactly 1 and any number up to infinity simultaneously?

Can anyone who actually understands maths work that one out for me and explain it?
My brain is hurting an Divide by 0 ERROR system halt stack overflow

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> PBEM game repeatedly avoiding battles Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI