Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"Tutorial" style game starting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> "Tutorial" style game starting Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 7:31:20 PM   
Jimmer

I'm going to start a new game with rookie or semi-rookie players. We'll play it in three "phases":

- First, a 3-month game with no major power (MP) wars
- Second, a 9-month game with a couple of contrived MP wars (GB vs France, Russia vs. Turkey starting in April, and Prussia & Austria vs. France -- but no special alliance moves). Spain will remain at peace mostly.
- Finally, two full years of normal game play.

The three games will all be different games, hopefully with the same players. I'll be playing through the Google Group "TheArtOfWar". It will be open for reading by anybody, but for modification only by "members". This forum will be used for screenshots and reports of action, plus game direction.

NOBODY is going to "win" any of these three games. The purpose is NOT to win, but to learn. So, many of the normal nuances of competition won't be present. However, I will be adding in artifically-designed elements whose purpose is to simulate competition, without the competitive aspects.

The first game will be completely contrived. Almost every step will be scripted. The goal will be to learn the interface. We'll play through the March economic phase. The goal at the end will be that everybody has a handle on all of the interface stuff and how to use those pieces.

The war pieces of the game will be shown through minor country wars, not MP wars.

The second war will be equally contrived, but with a few less restrictions. There will actually be major power wars, although the scope of them will be strictly limited.

France and Great Britain (GB) will be at war at the start, and France will make no attempt to invade GB if an "accident" occurs in a blockade box. It wouldn't do to have the two big boys wind up at peace in a tutorial.

France will also go to war with Austria and Prussia in April 1805. Austria and Prussia will be allied by that time, so France will declare against one of them and the other will be called to allies, setting up the stage for a typical "France vs. the central powers" war.

Russia will declare war on Turkey in April, 1805 as well. There will be no calls to allies. GB and France will both be funding Turkey at $10 and $6 per quarter (including March), so Turkey can actually field a real army to fight with.

This will set up everybody being at war with somebody, except for Spain. Spain will remain neutral until July, 1805, at which time she will declare war on GB. This is so people can see the effect war has on the Spanish gold shipment, and some actual naval battles. Again, France will not invade GB with troops, but the Spanish will be their ally, so France MIGHT break out of port somewhere. That should allow for some heavy theatrics at sea.

Note that GB WILL be allowed to land troops in France. This will force the French to NOT use all of their land forces against Austria & Prussia.

The final game will be two years. We'll keep track of victory points, obviously (they can't be turned off). However, the goal will be to see what the effect of certain actions is. This game will be more "normal", without all of the contrived extra rules to keep things from getting out of hand.

I would prefer to have these games run all with the same seven humans. However, that may not be feasible, so we'll play that part by ear. If anybody is interested, please post your email address and whatever nickname you want to be known by here on this thread. I recommend you use a space or two between characters of your email address, so bots don't start spamming you. For example, instead of typing:

john.q.public@att.com

type

j o h n. q . p u b li c @ a tt .c o m

Once your email and nickname is in the group, you can erase the contents of your post (again, to prevent spamming).

The name of the Google Group will be "TheArtOfWar", and that's what I will title the threads for each of the three contrived games we play. Note that this group DOES already exist, but it is currently unavailable to non-members. I'll be changing that tonight from home (groups are blocked from work).

NOTE: If there are veteran players who want to play, and there are not enough rookies to hit seven, they will be accepted. However, remember that the goal is NOT to win, but to learn the game and its interfaces.

Likewise, observers will be welcome, as will "armchair generals". In fact, I would really REALLY welcome that kind of input. We're going to be making mistakes, some of them on purpose. Having multiple people watching and commenting will be really helpful. So, even if you are not IN the game, feel free to observe.

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 2/7/2008 7:32:04 PM >

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Post #: 1
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 8:40:57 PM   
ess1

Yes please. Rookie.
sellickd @ sellickd. adsl24.co .uk
ess1

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 10:39:39 PM   
isandlwana

g o r d o n r a d i o l o g y @ a o l . c o m--rookie

Would love to play but I am away this weekend. If we aren't starting up until next week I would be interested. I played the board game years ago.

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 3
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 11:08:22 PM   
gwheelock

Jim; I would recommend STARTING with the bid process.  Let people try
sending in a couple of bids via the 'GAP program so that they can get
an understanding of how THAT works; too.

(in reply to isandlwana)
Post #: 4
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 11:22:33 PM   
Jimmer

Thanks, gwheelock. That's a very good idea. I'll do that. And, I'll add in some conversation about what it does to a power's VP needs to be in the winner's circle.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to gwheelock)
Post #: 5
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/7/2008 11:25:50 PM   
Jimmer

I have a feeling it will take more than just two days to fill up, isandlwana. I'll keep your name, in case it goes past Saturday.

One more thing, folks: Please include your time zone. I'm US Central, GMT -6. This is not required, but would probably be really helpful. I'm not going to discriminate (the first seven to commit are "in"), but it will help us know when we might have to wait for the next power's turn.

Also, if your native language is NOT English (and, I include people from the UK in that :) -- not really), please note that in your post. It will help others know whether they have to slow down a bit in order to be understood.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 6
"Tutorial" style game starting - 2/8/2008 1:31:30 AM   
bjresq

Jimmer,

I would be very interested in taking part. I am new to this particulr game, but not wargaming in general. That being said, this game is considerably more complex than most of the games I play, e.g. Columbia Block games, Memoir 44, SCS by The Gamers, POG etc.

my email addess is

Barry_Roy@hotmail.com

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/8/2008 1:53:22 AM   
Sokar99

Heya,

I would love to take part in this. My email is:

w h e e l o c k _ m i c h a e l @ h o t m a i l . c o m

Thanks!

Michael

< Message edited by Sokar99 -- 2/8/2008 2:00:21 AM >

(in reply to bjresq)
Post #: 8
tutorial game - 2/8/2008 5:43:53 PM   
timewalker03

looking forward to the the games

< Message edited by timewalker03 -- 2/9/2008 11:23:31 AM >

(in reply to Sokar99)
Post #: 9
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/8/2008 7:11:20 PM   
napoleon1066

I would like to get involved, also.
I'm a rookie.

napoleon1066

EST

< Message edited by napoleon1066 -- 2/11/2008 9:01:21 PM >

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 10
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/9/2008 2:57:01 AM   
Jimmer

I have written invitations to all email addresses through post # 9. Those addresses can be edited out now, if desired.

By the way, I have a slight modification: The first 6 players to RESPOND will be playing. Not the first 6 who post here.

NOTE: I believe I have sent 6 invitations thus far. However, one person said they could not play this weekend (out of town or something). So, that leaves an opening still.

Also, I'm trying to figure out if I can host the game without playing in it.

Does everybody have a copy of EIAGAP.exe?

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 11
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/9/2008 2:59:33 AM   
Gunney

Hi Jimmer,

I would be interested in this tutorial series. I am a novice. I am in US Eastern Time Zone.

Gunney

zippy 8923 at aol....

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/9/2008 10:13:07 AM   
Jimmer

OK, we have seven. Now, I have to figure out how to host without playing. Unless I can't count, in which case we only have six. :)

Anyhow, the first thing to do is download the GAP (Game Assistance Program). It's available from the thread that's in the "pinned" threads section titled "Download the Game Assistance Program (GAP)". At last check, it was the bottom one. Erik Rutins started the thread.

Everybody grab a copy of that and install it. We'll do a couple of practice bidding rounds.

Before that, though, since this IS a tutorial, I'll explain how the bids work. Well, first, Victory Points (VPs) need explanation (get used to a spiderweb of rules layers -- it's what makes the game fun!)

VPs are earned once each quarter, in the economic phase. The number of VP earned is based upon the major power's current position in the Political Status Display (PSD). The attached picture shows the PSD at the start of the game. Look at Frances bar.

It shows that (were the econ phase happening right now), France would earn 9 VP.

The Political Status Adjustment (PSA) for France is -2. THis means that, after collecting VP, France will move two spaces to the left on the PSD.

Her Economic Loss Number is zero. This means there is no die to be rolled for potential loss of minor country control.

Finally, Frances current position is 31. You may notice the that table is numbered from zero through 39. The first group of 10 (zero through 9) are called the "Fiasco" zone. It has a red background, signifying a power in this zone is in big trouble. The next zone, numbers 10 through 19, is the "Instability" zone. A power in this zone can lose conquered minors. The "Normal" zone is next. The "Dominant" zone is the last one. The normal and dominant zones have no chance of losing minors. In fact, dominant status adds to the minor country control rolls that occur when someone declares war on a minor.

You may notice that the PSA numbers in the dominant zone are all negative numbers, and the PSA numbers in the fiasco and instability zones are all positive. This has the effect of migrating every power a little closer to the middle every turn. Of course, things never stay the same, but you can see that, if they DID stay the same, every power would end up in the middle area of the normal zone, collecting 7 VP per quarter.

Pay close attention to this display. Good players check it every turn. Excellent players check it nearly every phase, and they know what to do with the information. This is the heart and soul of the game.

Anyhow, all that was stated so you would know how VPs are collected (0 to 15 each quarter). Take a quick peek at the Victory Point Status display. The button for this is in the top row of small square buttons, 11th from the left. It shows that France needs 400 VP to win, GB 370, etc., down to Turkey needing only 315. To this is added the player's bid that was made for that nation.

So, if I had bid, say, 10 for Russia, then Russia would need 345 VP to win (335 normally, plus my bid of 10).

The game imposes a limit of 30 points to any bid. Furthermore, it is required that every bid made by a player is different from all the rest.

Typical bids among experts would be around 30 for France, 20 for GB and Russia, 10-15 for Austria, 5 for Spain, 2-3 for Prussia, and 1-2 for Turkey. At these levels any nation can win. For less experienced players, France, GB, and Russia should carry lower bids, as these nations are difficult to play, with a lot of opportunity to make mistakes that cost VP.

What the GAP program does is create a "bid file". You load the program, tell it you're a client (I'm going to be the host for these "games"), and enter your bids. To start with, just pick random numbers between 1 and 30, with none of them equalling any other. Or, pick 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (although, don't EVERYBODY pick those, or the results will be quite boring). We'll all dump our bid files up to the TheArtOfWar google group, and then I'll run the compare routine. We'll do this a couple of times, so you can see how different bids stack up. It's straightforward in how it works, but it's like the rest of the game: Complex beyond what it appears to be at first glance.

For example, let's say you want to play France. Well, just bid 30, right? Sort of. IF you bid 30 for France, then the compare is done. BUT, remember that the bid for GB is resolved FIRST. So, what if you get GB instead, because you happened to bid high enough? Or, alternately, what if someone else has the same idea? (There's a roll-off.)

Nothing is guaranteed. Well, almost nothing. If you bid 30 for Prussia, you will almost certianly get it. But, you won't win the game. For ANY nation, bidding too high can cripple your chances of winning, simply because it increases the number of VP you must average in order to win.

In the board game, at the end of the game (when one major power crossed the "finish line" of VP), then all other MPs added in their current manpower totals (home nation and conquered minors only) to their VP total. This would sometimes cause them to also cross THEIR finish line. Thus, more than one player was likely to win.

The computer game does not work the same way. In the computer version, it's straight VPs all the way. In my games, though, I like to add in a house rule to match the original game rules, so that more than one or two players can win. It's a LONG game. Too long, in my opinion, to have six losers.

Anyhow, we'll do some bids, track the results, and see what that means for the various powers' ability to win. A good way to measure this is "average VPs needed per quarter to win". Using France as an example, and assuming the game goes the full 11 years, there are 44 economic phases. Let's say France's bid was 18. This means France needs 418 VPs to win, or 9.5 VPs per turn. Basically, France has to stay in the dominant zone the whole game (on average) in order to win.

Compare that to a bid for Turkey of, say, 1 point. Turkey needs 315+1=316 VPs to win, or ~7.2 per turn. Turkey can win the game just by staying in the middle of the PSD for the whole game, and also scores 8 8-pt turns! That's over 2 less than what France needed.

So, pick some numbers, enter them into the gap program, and let's see how they work (I'll post the results here). Post your bid files up to the group's files location.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jimmer -- 2/10/2008 8:36:51 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 13
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/10/2008 6:41:22 PM   
Sokar99

Jimmer,

I haven't seen an email. Did I get skipped? Thanks!

wheelock_michael@hotmail.com

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/10/2008 8:29:56 PM   
Jimmer

Sokar99,

I THINK I sent you one. But, I'll send another, just in case.

(in reply to Sokar99)
Post #: 15
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/12/2008 5:40:56 PM   
bjresq

Jimmer,

What is our next task? Are we going to another round of bidding - or are we going to move on to something else.  Sorry to be impatient, just looking forward to playing.

bjresq

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 16
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/12/2008 6:20:54 PM   
Jimmer

When everybody replies in the other thread that they have learned enough about bidding, we'll move on.

Perhaps I should implement a time limit?

(in reply to bjresq)
Post #: 17
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/12/2008 8:06:07 PM   
Jimmer

I think I will indeed implement a time limit, for the stuff that seems somewhat "obvious". So, from this point on, 24 hours after the last person posts a question, I'll move on to the next topic. I'll try to give warning what a "topic" comprises, though, because much of EiA is difficult to put in that perspective.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 18
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/12/2008 11:29:13 PM   
napoleon1066

I think that time limit is perfectly adequate.  Your description of the intial bidding process answered any questions I might have had.  Can't wait for the rest of the tutorial!

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/13/2008 4:11:39 AM   
Sokar99

Hi,

Sounds good to me!

Sokar

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 20
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/13/2008 4:56:58 AM   
Jimmer

Well, that's over half of you, and no negatives. So, let's move on.

OK, the next step in the tutorial is to play a fake, 3-month game. The only wars we will allow will be between a major power and a minor country.

I'm going to turn off some of the more "advanced" rules, so we can just start playing. For example, there's an option to have movements cost double in winter. That will be off (although, PAYING for supply in winter will still cost double -- can't do anything about that.

Typically, in a real game, you wouldn't want to bankrupt yourself in the first 1-2 months; instead, you would make sure you save enough for all three months. However, this is a fake game, and I want to show how foraging works, too. So, spend all you want in the first month or two, just to see what it does to your ability to fight a war (even against a minor).

Let's use the bidding program again. This time, they'll be "real", or as real as can be in a contrived game. Bid like you think you would in a real game, anyhow. Post the bids up on the group again. If seven bids show up, we'll have seven. Otherwise, I'll bid 30 for France. The rest of you, please bid lower for France than 30 (even 29, if you really want it), so that if there are only six, I'm playing France. It's the hardest nation to play, simply because of the vast numbers of factors floating around, if nothing else.

There will be no starting war between France and GB.

I'll start a new thread to track the new game, so this information can stand by itself.

(in reply to Sokar99)
Post #: 21
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 2/29/2008 2:14:05 AM   
Jimmer

We've had three nations become not assigned in the tutorial "fake game" we're playing. Anybody who is interested in taking one over (Austria, France, and Great Britain are available), please post your email address here. Put blanks and stuff in it, as described above, so spammers don't find you). I'll send an invitation to that address, and then you can edit your post and remove the email address (if desired).

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 22
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/3/2008 6:29:21 PM   
ess1

Have received GB's setup but when I try to open I receive: "Unable to open out of sequence.  Contact game host".
This has not happened before.  Tried re downloading etc with same result.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 23
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/3/2008 11:46:24 PM   
Jimmer

Yes. I have to send out backup files for all the players. I found that this is the process when "replacing" a player (which is what I had to do.

However, I still don't have any way to play the Austrian turn(s) other than the AI. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on that, though, because this is taking far too long.

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 24
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/4/2008 7:37:54 AM   
Jimmer

Well, I have yet another problem. I created reset files for when the British player was assigned. However, they're not working right. So, yet another delay. Hopefully, not too long this time. Should be a simple fix, but I'm ignorant as to what to do with it.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 25
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/6/2008 5:47:17 AM   
SoulBlazer

Hi, I'm new to the game, and this looks like it would be a good chance to start learning how to play this really well. :)  Is threre a opening still?  My e-mail is gpolander at yahoo dot com

Thanks, Greg

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 26
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/6/2008 5:43:32 PM   
Jimmer

I'll send you an invitation to join the group, but I have to wait until I get home to do it.

Yes, Austria is open. Well, technically, so are Britain and France, but those aren't exactly the best powers to learn with. Too many fine points.

See the other thread for details (which I think you did -- I saw your name showing you posted to it, but I came here first). This first "game" is totally fixed: No wars with major powers, cooperation so we don't stumble upon a war, everybody is going to attack a small number of minors, and the "game" will end after the March econ phase.

We'll follow that up with a second game, still with some contrived rules, but not as many. That game will last longer.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 27
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/7/2008 7:16:09 AM   
Jimmer

FYI, gang, the Turks are out of town until Saturday, and so cannot take their turn yet.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 28
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/7/2008 8:25:54 AM   
SoulBlazer

Hi there, I got your e-mail with the inviation to join, and I subscribed to the group, but it would'nt let me join.  I sent you a 'request to join' from the GMail Group page.  Please let me know if you got it, thanks.

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: "Tutorial" style game starting - 3/7/2008 11:25:52 AM   
ess1

SoulBlazer,

Welcome to our group.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> "Tutorial" style game starting Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI