Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ammo Carriers and heavy dose of TNT....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ammo Carriers and heavy dose of TNT.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ammo Carriers and heavy dose of TNT.... - 9/20/2000 5:45:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

Would it be possible to make ammo trucks/carriers go BOOM!! -- when they are hit seriously? (not everytime of course, but if it takes some heavy HE-hits?) I mean, it would bring some nervous moments when you are resupplying your Tiger(s) and one mortar round happens to fall from the sky..... Few tons of TNT in that ammo carrier should make enormous amounts of damage to nearby units in surrounding hexes. How about Ammo Dump? Couple of tons more TNT and any nearby units should be totally wrecked -- if something detonates all that ammo in storage...! Ammo Dump currently explodes if damaged enough, but it does not damage any nearby units... Just old idea. Maybe hard to make it work but it would be cool. (not to mention realistic!)

--Peregrine Falcon--
Post #: 1
- 9/20/2000 5:57:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

That would be a nice touch. I don't know how difficult it would be to code that though. I think it could be difficult, but then again I don't know enough about the game code to be sure. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Peregrine Falcon)
Post #: 2
- 9/20/2000 10:34:00 AM   
Tank

Heck, use the animations and sounds that you use for Ammo Dump destruction. Maybe not all of them, but maybe the first big boom? I always assumed that I didn't take damage from the Ammo Dump because of the berm. But, then if I was firing direct fire, I should have SOME possibility of taking damage, no? On the other hand HE cooking off isn't directional, right? I'm talking a platoon firing from one hex away. I guess a tank wouldn't have to worry at all, right? But, this being so, I think a truck full of HE being boinked by a mortar should have the same chance of causing damage to a bunch of grunts a hex away as a bombing run or a arty strike? Anyone know for sure? Just a thought, Tank

Post #: 3
- 9/21/2000 2:53:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

Yes. I think a tank would be safe from effects other than fire, but explosion of that size still creates huge shockwave. Small vehicles like jeeps should be damaged by this...Infantry should recieve damage as well as healthy amount of suppression. So ammo truck explosion should be equal to 1-2 large aircraft bombs. (+ maybe additional fires to surrounding hexes..if it could be done) Ammo dump? Lets say around 20-100 tons of TNT.....Huge effects, I would say. Maybe same as 3-5 18" shells? If I remember correctly (maybe it was some version of SPWW2..?) somebody mentioned that ammo trucks could explode if hit in upcoming versions.. Not sure though if it was done..
quote:

Originally posted by Tank: Heck, use the animations and sounds that you use for Ammo Dump destruction. Maybe not all of them, but maybe the first big boom? I always assumed that I didn't take damage from the Ammo Dump because of the berm. But, then if I was firing direct fire, I should have SOME possibility of taking damage, no? On the other hand HE cooking off isn't directional, right? I'm talking a platoon firing from one hex away. I guess a tank wouldn't have to worry at all, right? But, this being so, I think a truck full of HE being boinked by a mortar should have the same chance of causing damage to a bunch of grunts a hex away as a bombing run or a arty strike? Anyone know for sure? Just a thought, Tank

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 4
- 9/21/2000 8:48:00 AM   
rexmonday

Did you ever hit an ammo dump in SP3? Were you standing next to it when you did? Ouch. They devestated a rose-shaped seven hex area which is then declared 'impassable' and continues to smoke and smoulder and burn for the rest of the game... They were often situated on victory objectives by evil designers, so that you didn't wnat to bring your artillery anywhere near them - the victory hexes were lost to both sides (IIRC). The code may still be hiding in the SPWAW engine...

Post #: 5
- 9/21/2000 5:27:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

Ouch. I am one of these players that have never played SP3 - Or even SP1... (SP2 was my first contact to Panthers...) I have never heard that ammo dumps in SP3 create so much large area damage...! That was nice piece of information - thanks. Then why are ammo dumps so "mild" when they go up in SPWAW? Why they removed these large scale effects...? I say one big crater (50 yards in diameter, 10 deep) to ground zero and fires and smaller shellholes to nearby hexes (to represent unexploded ordnance flying around) Uh. Now I must drink my coffee, I'm getting too excited about this... (I'll admit it - I like explosions! )
quote:

Originally posted by rexmonday: Did you ever hit an ammo dump in SP3? Were you standing next to it when you did? Ouch. They devestated a rose-shaped seven hex area which is then declared 'impassable' and continues to smoke and smoulder and burn for the rest of the game... They were often situated on victory objectives by evil designers, so that you didn't wnat to bring your artillery anywhere near them - the victory hexes were lost to both sides (IIRC). The code may still be hiding in the SPWAW engine...

--Peregrine Falcon--

Post #: 6
- 9/21/2000 6:31:00 PM   
BomBeer

It all would depend on what kind of ammo that went off. There are 4 main fire symbols and 2 minor ( not really used by the military). 1.1 is Mass detonation ie Big bombs. 1.2 is frag, ie frag grenades Its like 1.1 but with fragments. 1.3 is Mass fire very very hot ie incinerary grenades. 1.4 moderate fire ie plain old bullets. If they could model the differents kinds of ammo exploding/burning in ammo trucks that would be cool and realistic. This maybe to much to code into the game. Probably the same for the bomb dump as there would be a whole hell of alot more safety precautions taken. BomBeer

IYAAYAS

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ammo Carriers and heavy dose of TNT.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI