Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/6/2008 11:53:08 PM   
Manus von Olie

Who wants to play on a large random map with lots of water in teams of two? The last surviving team wins. Possible options are: mixing in very strong (++) AI countries; no shroud (to make an even division of teams on the board); restart when one player doesn't have a port to start with. Personally I like few cities, and expensive upgrades and 'underdeveloped' countries to start (the minimum level of research at the start of the game. Nothing is decided yet!
Post #: 1
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/7/2008 12:33:13 AM   
Iron Knight

I'm interested. For balance you might want to have People's Republic on AI+.

(in reply to Manus von Olie)
Post #: 2
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/7/2008 2:27:36 AM   
drOlive

Count me in.
It could be interesting with enough players for 2 vs 2, or more.
My preference would be only people's republic ai(++), 4-5 towns per player and lots of water :)

(in reply to Iron Knight)
Post #: 3
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/7/2008 6:07:38 AM   
boethos

I'll play.  Never done teams before but I've played island maps (land 30-35%) with people's republic.  I like shrouded too but you're right that would make it hard to keep it fair.
I'm up for it if you all are.

(in reply to drOlive)
Post #: 4
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 1:30:41 AM   
Manus von Olie

OK, here's a proposal:
map: 80 x 80 hexes, 10 regimes, 10% land, Rivers Qty = 40 x, Forest level 50, Mountains level 40, 30 towns, no roads, City Size 1, Researd mod = 400%, Swamp = level 30.
People's Republic and Shrouded map,
further: Fog of War, Shroud, Passwords, Anti-Supply, Anti PBEM Cheat, Screenshots,
AI opponents: + in strength.
I saw that even 10% land leaves some rather big islands. Then anyway I prefer shrouded maps, because I like to poke around in the dark , even if that means a form of disbalance. drOlive said that we could send screenshots to our partners, that's kind of cool.
Lastly: I downloaded the newest version of AT, but do I have to patch something up in order to have the newest version of creating random game too?

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 5
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 1:42:08 AM   
Iron Knight

Well having shroud on does present the problem of not starting with a port city.

Post #: 6
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 3:54:23 AM   
mavnb

would love to be in. Herman invited me.

Post #: 7
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 10:31:19 AM   
Manus von Olie

OK, mavnb, welcome, hope we can start soon...

Iron Knight: I described the solution for having no port at start in my first post: you just claim it is so and we restart the game... You agree with that? Redoing the first turn is no big deal anyway.

(in reply to mavnb)
Post #: 8
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 4:42:42 PM   
drOlive

I'd rather not play shrouded map, as we might restart a game a couple of times just to make sure no one starts with city island.
It would be easier if one player ran a random map creation until he gets somewhat balanced positions and share the first turn open for everyone to see, that is before we start the actual game. In that case we'd all know where everyone starts and can divide into teams to balance it out even more.
For example
_map deleted_

< Message edited by drOlive -- 2/12/2008 1:34:44 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 7:13:49 PM   
Manus von Olie

OK, drOlive, that's a good plan: a map like the one you put here looks very ideal. Seems more people are for some openness of maps to ensure everybody gets a port from the start and some even division of the pairs. Do you want to generate the map, if everybody agrees with my suggested rules? We need only one more extra player to have 3 pairs, or one less to have 2 pairs? Are you with Iron Knight? If so, could you 'generate' a partner, too?

(in reply to drOlive)
Post #: 10
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 7:28:03 PM   
boethos

yes, that map looks good.  trying to get a good island map does seem hit-and-miss as to whether the land is split into small islands or clumped into a few big ones.  unshrouded seems the only way to choose fair partners, i'm for recruiting one more and making three teams of 2.  we can use some arbitrary partner pattern like first player to post here is partner with the last, second with second to last, third with fourth.  That would make it Manus/??, IronKnight/mavnb, drOlive/Boethos - not necessarily that pattern but something like that.

Post #: 11
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 7:30:08 PM   
boethos

...then on the map the partners would start at 1/4, 2/5, and 3/6...

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 12
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 8:09:30 PM   
Arditi

I'm interested, if you have the room.
   Best Regards, Arditi

Semper Fi
www.ironlegions.weebly.com
author of: Italy At War: Uniforms, Weapons,
Equipment and Ephemera

Released!
Japan At War: Uniforms, Weapons,
Equipment and Ephemera

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 13
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 8:14:38 PM   
boethos

looks like we have our sixth player - watch out for Arditi, he's sneaky.... 

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 14
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 8:14:53 PM   
Iron Knight

I was more thinking of having no port cities on and island(which happens now and then). I'm ok starting with an inland city as long as there is a port city some where, but I also like drOlive's idea.

Edit note: lol I should refresh the page before I reply.

< Message edited by Iron Knight -- 2/8/2008 8:17:11 PM >

(in reply to drOlive)
Post #: 15
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/8/2008 8:37:51 PM   
Arditi

Who's sneaky?  I think I learned that from you!  haha
  Best Regards, Arditi   If you guys will have me, I'm flexible to whatever is decided.

Semper Fi
Equipment and Ephemera

Released!
Equipment and Ephemera

Post #: 16
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 12:01:15 AM   
Manus von Olie

Welcome Arditi, good that you joined us, even though you're sneaky... It's the best way to survive these games, I noticed. Then I agree with Boethos that the turns should be team A, 1 and 4. team B, 2 and 5, team C, 3 and 6. How about using the game drOlive sent? If that's possible of course. It looks balanced and all, not according to my specifications, but who cares? I prefer to play with drOlive, we're both promising beginners. Then Arditi seems to be somewhat more experienced and could play with Mavnb, who is quite new, I think. And then Boethos with Iron Knight.

Soon we're                                

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 17
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 5:36:17 AM   
boethos

Did drOlive send a game?  To who?  That map he posted? works for me.  and the teams, to.  I know Arditi who did beta testing on this game and probably has the most experience, but I have no idea about the rest of you (currently in a game with drOlive, not over yet.)
Something like this?
Team A:  1. drOlive, 4. Manus von Olie
Team B:  2. Arditi, 5. mavnb
Team C: 3. Boethos 6. Iron Knight

dr Olive starts because he made the map and so has the first turn already anyway, the rest is arbitrary but as good a way as any I think.

Post #: 18
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 5:38:14 AM   
boethos

hmmm... on further inspection of the map it looks like 1 and 3 are on the same island (it is a scrolling map, right?)  drOlive and I already have a ladder game going, we don't need to share an island starting out this game.  I'd rather have a map with us each on a separate island if possible.

..edit.. I see map loop was not mentioned. If it is not turned on then there is no problem, opposite sides of the map do not share an island. I'm just used to using looped maps now so I was concerned maybe we were too close.

< Message edited by boethos -- 2/9/2008 5:45:40 AM >

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 19
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 12:13:34 PM   
Manus von Olie

OK, so it seems everything is settled, at least to me. I suppose too the game could be started with drOlive doing the first move and sending it to Arditi, Arditi to Boethos etc. (nr 1 from country 1 sends it to nr 2 from country 2 etc: see? Look at the map and Boethos post two back from this post) Then we need each others email adresses to send the turns. So, if everybody sends his email adress to me by the email button underneath this post, then I send the adresses through to everyone. For possible questions or practicalities we have the weekend to sort them out, so let's try to start on Monday, with drOlive doing the kickoff...

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 20
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 6:18:34 PM   
Arditi

Hi,
Thanks for the kind welcome. My email address is: arditi@suddenlink.net I have also posted to your email. Let the war's begin!
Best Regards, Arditi

Semper Fi
Equipment and Ephemera

Released!
Equipment and Ephemera

Post #: 21
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 7:26:53 PM   
drOlive

You're right Boethos. I set the wrapping map and that confused me later on, so player 1 and 3 are the same. Actually player 1 is in the center forest island starting at the Arion city.
On further inspection I found out that for example, player 6 has two towns with 2000pp on the same island with his capital which further unbalances the game.
Another thing is that numbers are just labels, in fact turn order would be 5,2,3,6,4,1.
Sorry about that people, I didn't have time to examine the map in detail until now.
I uploaded the map anyway, if anyone wants to take a closer look, or maybe fix it up a bit.
Map

< Message edited by drOlive -- 2/9/2008 7:27:46 PM >

(in reply to Arditi)
Post #: 22
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 8:50:50 PM   
Manus von Olie

OK, maybe it's easier to make a totally new game until it's more or less evenly balanced, because editing games is still way above my meagre capacities. I'll give it a shot, with playing order as we decided earlier, but maybe I start then instead of drOlive. I'll try to put the map here too, not sure if I'm capable. Then you just have to trust me, haha.

(in reply to drOlive)
Post #: 23
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/9/2008 10:56:26 PM   
Manus von Olie

I think I let the computer compose an interesting game :

Manus von Olie: player 1, with the the Agnostic Conglomerate, plays together with dr Olive, player 6, in team A.
Iron Knight: player 2, with the Reformed Realm, plays together with with Boethos, player 5, in team B.
Arditi: player 3, with the Scientific Union, plays together with Mavnb, player 4, in team C.
Mavnb: player 4, with the Slave Team, plays together with Arditi, player 3, in team C.
Boethos: player 5, with the Workers League, plays together with Iron Knight, player 2, in team B.
DrOlive: player 6, with the Suni Country, plays together with Manus von Olie, player 1, in team A.

So, player 1 sends to player 2 etc, player 6 to player 1, OK?

I think the game is fairly balanced: the gold is in the middle, quite near team B, but this will probably attract nasty flies too. Arditi has the smallest kingdom ever , but is backed up by his teamplayer, experience, and I'm sure the intelligentsia of his Scientific Kingdom. Then there's of course the question of the four (+ in power, mind you) AI players. Will they play an active role, when neglected too long, or will they just wait to be harvested? The People's Republic is just normal in power.
It's basically a three-player game, so if two teams start to fight too much with each other, the third will most likely take the price. As the Dutch saying goes: "If two dogs fight for a bone, the third one will take it home."

What more: the map is a cilinder (looped map) and take a look at the other specifics, I made it quite primitive, so the weight comes more on strategic planning with the map, whatever that may mean.

Oh, I don't know if these email service works under the posts. I didn't get Arditi's email message for example. So here's my email for the game, please send your email addresses there, otherwise you won't maybe be able to send your move... wijnhovenherman@hotmail.com

I'll send my move to Iron Knight as soon as I got his email address. Maybe I'll manage to glue the map into my next post, never did that.

He! Ho! Let's go. (The Ramones)

Post #: 24
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 12:33:06 AM   
Iron Knight

Email sent.

Post #: 25
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 4:42:55 AM   
Iron Knight

I didn't get a turn attached to the email you sent me.

Post #: 26
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 11:35:46 AM   
Manus von Olie

Sorry Iron Knight , I'll send it right away...

Post #: 27
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 3:12:41 PM   
Manus von Olie

As you all maybe noticed, I just started a game by sending my first move to Iron Knight. I just felt like getting started, instead of talking until everybody agrees about everything . But then, of course, we luckily happen to live in a world system where consensus is the ultimate goal, so if you have a reason not to approve with the game, we just, without no problem whatsoever, start a new one, which will then be approved beforehand by everybody, before making a move .

Post #: 28
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 3:19:13 PM   
Manus von Olie

Hi Boethos,

completely out of scope of this thread, but I saw you challenged on the official ladder the aces of the game!!!

You took some beating, but anyway, great way to go!

(in reply to boethos)
Post #: 29
RE: game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map - 2/10/2008 5:09:14 PM   
boethos

Yeah, I figure that's the best way to learn - the theory is if I get flattened often enough by the masters then I'll pick up something useful along the way and eventually get better.  I guess I did get spanked a little... But I have figured out a few new things, now I'm ready to try them out.... 

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Opponents Wanted >> game with pairs on a large random 'sea' map Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI