Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 3:06:22 PM   
Koniev

Hi all -

I've been studying - especially the AAR's - and have begun the entire war scenario. In 5 or 6 years I might be able to do something intelligent with this game.

It's the first week. I am transferring planes around to where I think they'll do the most harm. My question is this: Does it matter what mission is selected when all your doing is transferring to another base?

Thanks

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana
Post #: 1
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 3:11:32 PM   
Yava

I usually put them on stand down... is quite usefull when you need to jump between bases where the AF size is small and the planes get damaged and you need to repair them fast to jump to another base... but when you need to jump in and do something fast choose the mission type you need... 

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 2
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 3:39:56 PM   
Koniev

Thanks Yava - I was transferring a group of Coronados from LA to PH. I left them on ASW cause the area around PH is swarming with subs.  After the KB got through with Pearl, there wasn't much left of the Catalina squadrons.

(in reply to Yava)
Post #: 3
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 3:50:18 PM   
Oldguard1970

Hi Koniev,

Congratulations!  You have graduated beyond the stage of "befuddled newbie".  Now you are simply "befuddled", just like the rest of us.   

Please include some topic clues in the title when you start threads in the future.   I like your topics, but I do not track topics by question number.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 4
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 6:50:46 PM   
AW1Steve

Sorry guys, until you hit 250 posts you are officially newby's. But you are both well on your way to being oldby's...

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 5
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 9:33:23 PM   
Oldguard1970

Naah - - I can't be an "oldby".  I don't have any seniority or age in the forum.  Now Koniev, on the other hand.... well, 2002 really was quite some time ago.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 6
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 11:09:04 PM   
AW1Steve

If you both keep posting you will be.One post  at a time....

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 7
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/9/2008 11:18:43 PM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koniev

Hi all -

I've been studying - especially the AAR's - and have begun the entire war scenario. In 5 or 6 years I might be able to do something intelligent with this game.

It's the first week. I am transferring planes around to where I think they'll do the most harm. My question is this: Does it matter what mission is selected when all your doing is transferring to another base?

Thanks

It does not matter what the mission is set to, but remember a couple of factors.

• Transferrng bases increases the fatigue of the pilots like any mission will.
  • The longer the distance between bases, the greater the fatigue
  • The greater the fatigue at the end of the transfer, the greater the operational losses

For this reason, you don't want to transfer a highly fatigued unit a long distance. You probably want to rest between transfers. If you want to see how this works, try this Transfer your Coronados along this route: West Coast - Pearl - Noumea - Port Moresby - Soerabaja - Colombo. Don't wait for all planes to become operational, just keep transferring and follow up with fragments as planes become undamaged. You will be lucky to have half of your planes and pilots left. The fatigue will be through the roof and lots of planes will get lost in transit.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 8
RE: Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 - 2/10/2008 9:57:39 AM   
Koniev

Hi wwengr -

Well, the Coro's weren't too tired. It's only Dec 8. They might have a little hangover from their hanging out in the San Diego bars but I think it was like 8%. These guys are sceduled for the CenPac so they won't be going anywhere for awhile.

What you describe sounds like PacWar.

I'm really desparate for ASW at Pearl. Although Halsey has the Enterprise in port, Admiral Brown is out near French Frigate Shoals with Lexington and Saratoga is on the west coast. I count 20 submarines around PH. I've got to get them cleared before Brown attempts port. I think I've got like 6 PBY's, a couple Bolos, and some other stuff for ASW work. I have Halsey's planes set for Naval attack except for the TBD's - I figure they might as well look for subs too since they don't have a prayer against Japanese fighters.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Befuddled Newbie Question No. 26 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI