Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Motherland Campaign and Cossacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Motherland Campaign and Cossacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Motherland Campaign and Cossacks - 9/20/2000 10:11:00 AM   
Tank

I'll tell you. I have new respect for the "lowly" Cossack. I guess I was just swayed by Chekov from Star Trek and his dislike of Cossacks. But the last game I played in the Defense of the Motherland, the suckers on horseback proved their value to me. I was supporting a defense in the railyards by the Istra River. My KV1 and 2s were on their way, but slowly as you might have guessed. The Cossacks to the north near the ford had to hold the vp for about five turns. They did a fine job of taking out SPW-25/HTs until I could reinforce them. Damn, a cavalry charge into withering fire, a couple of rallys, and boom! Molotovs away boys! Gasoline bombs and grenades against mounted machine guns! Whoo-hoo! Heck, Wild Bill give me a few of those guys with bows and a decent leader! Cummon Jerry, give me your best shot! Ah, sorry, that was the beer talking. That last part at least. Bows ain't got good penetration. Against armor that is . Anyway, is the Motherland Camp. supposed to be easy? I got 16 points after 4 decisive vics and one draw. I just ain't that good. Regards, Tank P.S. I finally lost a T-34 tonite. Sarge Ivanov (?) had 17 kills. I'll miss him... But you gotta love the KV-1 (E);D At least this early ('41).

Post #: 1
- 9/21/2000 11:37:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Maybe you are better than you think you are, my friend. You did extremely well. You gotta love those Cossacks all right. I love forming charges and sweep the field. I get that picture in my head (right or wrong, I love it) and it makes it a lot more fun. Good job for the Motherland. Moscow has been saved. You played so well, you missed the alternate scenarios, but that is okay too. How did you do on the raid? Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 2
- 9/22/2000 12:10:00 AM   
David F. Wall

I'd be interested to hear what people are picking for core forces to being this campaign. The Germans are wiping the floor with me. Not to mention that the first time I played the opening scnario, that *!()@*(!! Stuka bombed my HQ out of existence. DFW

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2000 12:37:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I would be too David. Sorry about that HQ! I know that spoiled your day.... Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 4
- 9/22/2000 9:17:00 PM   
David F. Wall

In the spirit of he who proposes disposes... I'm about to attempt it with: 3 Medium Tank Companies of T-26s A Rifle Company An Infantry-AT Platoon A Sniper. I've purchased a couple of Forward Observers and as many 122mm batteries as I can get my hands on as a supporting force. Despite being traumatized by a Stuka on my first attempt, I've not done anything for AAA.

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 5
- 9/23/2000 5:33:00 AM   
Rickenbacker

Cossacks eh? I've always had a special place in my heart for the german cavalry, and I don't think I've played a single PBEM or campaign without some. They're excellent as scouts, can move fast through terrain that an armored car would bog down just looking at. And in an emergency they actually have decent firepower, at least against infantry. ------------------ Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 6
- 9/24/2000 10:56:00 AM   
Tank

To Wild Bill: I thought I was doing okay going thru the railyards. But when it came time to go to the SW town, those hidden AT guns gave me a real pain. I sent my two KV platoons into the railyard with Guard inf and did okay. But my T-34's were nailed going south. Nice placement for those guns. I had my T34's as reinforcements just to the south of the railyard until I knew it was secured. But by that time it was sprint SW. And my KV's couldn't reinforce my T-34's before time ran out. I got a draw on the last scenario. Final score was a decisive for the camp. Yeah, I know, I should have had more infantry cover for my tanks and moved south earlier. Oh well, live and learn. As far as what to start with? Two heavy tank platoons, KV-1 M41's One medium tank company, T34- M41's As many sub-machinegun platoons as you can get. That would be three. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. I might do it differently next time, but heavy SO tanks in 1941 are just too cool. I do love armor... Call me Tank P.S. So I missed alt. battles? How much do I have to screw up to get to them?

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 7
- 9/24/2000 2:16:00 PM   
mogami

Greetings Comrade I have just finished first battle 8230 USSR 1045 Facist Swine They very arrogantly tried to drive through mine field 37 AFVS and 8APCs of theirs were destroyed we lost no vehicles of any kind. My core units are 1 company T-34(41) 1 platoon KV-1(41) 4 85mm AA 1 37mm AA 1 company light infantry. As support from most generous allowance of 800 pts I aquired 100 mines 3 companies of conscript infantry (1 per forward objective) 6 47mm AT 6 12mm AA MG the northern infantry company has been reorganized as a platoon the center and southern companies are still healthy no enemy reached center hill. I had command control problems and was unable to give orders to units but starting placement was fine with tank leaders recapturing all but northen objective before time expired. Have just recieved new orders and am proceeding to cross roads. ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Tank)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Motherland Campaign and Cossacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI