Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two installations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Two installations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two installations? - 2/11/2008 5:09:14 PM   
Heldenkaiser

Is it technically possible, and legal, to run TOAW3 on two different machines? I am thinking about installing it on my laptop as well, so I can play when I am not home.

And if, then is it also possible to start playing a PBEM file on one computer, then continue playing it on the other?

And if it is possible, will it trigger a "may have reloaded" message?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Two installations? - 2/11/2008 6:09:07 PM   
fulcrum90

I´ve installed TOAW 3 in two machines, my home desktop and my work notebook, and I haven´t problems to continue games that begin in the other machine.

(in reply to Heldenkaiser)
Post #: 2
RE: Two installations? - 2/12/2008 6:58:23 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heldenkaiser
Is it technically possible, and legal, to run TOAW3 on two different machines? I am thinking about installing it on my laptop as well, so I can play when I am not home.
And if, then is it also possible to start playing a PBEM file on one computer, then continue playing it on the other?
And if it is possible, will it trigger a "may have reloaded" message?
Thanks.

@Heldenkaiser;

1) Obviously technically possible (re: fulcrum's post), the 'legality' of doing so seems dependant on who's judging, LOL! You've bought your copy of the game, and it is being used by you alone (ie: not cracked and offered to others) and it can be said that using different platforms is STILL an example of a single USAGE, especially in the sense that both you and fulcrum specify. Neither of you is doing this to allow more than ONE person to play your copy at a time, dig?

2) re: 'may have reloaded' msg.....this anti-cheat function should just be ignored! It often gives 'false positives' and in the end, You'll soon figure out who amoungst your opponents you no longer wish to play with, eh? Honor is something that cannot be legislated !!!

There are several ways to 'cheat' without ever triggering this line, so it's never really going to be something that stops cheating. IMHO a real waste of Ralphs' time and energy!

To sum up, I really doubt that the 'Brain Police' are going to come for you, eh?

Everything your talking about isn't really of running the 'GAME' twice, what your trying to do is run a 'SCENARIO' twice. No Harm, No Foul...!!!

Your Honor shows in the very sense that You've asked this question, so No Fears, Mate!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

Post #: 3
RE: Two installations? - 2/12/2008 9:21:27 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

2) re: 'may have reloaded' msg.....this anti-cheat function should just be ignored! It often gives 'false positives' and in the end, You'll soon figure out who amoungst your opponents you no longer wish to play with, eh? Honor is something that cannot be legislated !!!

There are several ways to 'cheat' without ever triggering this line, so it's never really going to be something that stops cheating. IMHO a real waste of Ralphs' time and energy!

Hear, hear. Something that seems to have concerned JAmIAM more than others. Not that I especially mind, and influence on what changes are going to be made is certainly a perk that comes with his position, but really...

If anything, trying to prevent cheating to some extent legitimizes it. After all, if I can work out how to bamboozle Bank of America out of the odd million, I might not feel so bad. But conning the trusting little old lady across the street? No thank you.

Better to leave people on their honor, and trust to a vengeful Lord to punish those who have the utter moral turpitude to cheat at games.

...and that 'false positive.' I wonder about that. I often start a turn before going to bed, reach a point where I have to make an intelligent decision, save, and go sleep on it. I s'spions that this might set off that 'may have reloaded.'

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 2/12/2008 9:25:25 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 4
RE: Two installations? - 2/12/2008 11:30:32 AM   
Heldenkaiser

"To sum up, I really doubt that the 'Brain Police' are going to come for you, eh?"

OK.

Thank you for your responses, Gentlemen.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 5
RE: Two installations? - 2/12/2008 7:18:29 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Never mind.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 2/12/2008 7:19:57 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Two installations? - 2/12/2008 10:38:18 PM   
sPzAbt653

I run Toaw III on two separate, side by side machines. As multi-tasking tends to suck up resources and cause errors, this set up works great, especially for editing scenarios. I can make changes on one, and then 'thumb drive' the changes over to the other.

I don't pbem, so I don't know what effect that would have.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> Two installations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI