Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Using nukes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Using nukes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Using nukes - 2/8/2008 11:23:34 PM   
petteerr

Hi guys,
Newbie here,i try to use nukes or slbm missiles usually from russian submarines but i cant get them work, i can give orders hit planned target but nothing happens!
i use typhoon class sub and try to hit some ground targets using nukes,i have enabled nukes too from configuration, i use default database!
I can see the missile launch hit the target but nothing happens,do i miss sth??I have tested various pre made scenarios and various ground targets but nothing happens.
Post #: 1
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 1:14:56 AM   
petteerr

Thanks for the pm it helped me use nukes with kirov sample but again none submarine missile can destroy ground targets!None ballistic missile can be used:(.
Also the ss-n-19 kirov nuclear missile doesnt have any realistic performance i think, doesnt eliminate any other targets around(not far each other)! :(

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 2
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 4:28:03 AM   
Bucks

petteerr,

There are some issues with some of the nuclear weapons found in the ODB (default database). The issue arises as a result of the non-implementation of these weapons in Harpoon 2. As these weapons were implemented during the Harpoon 3 development process, the fact that the weapons were "switched on" didn't ensure that the method of implementation from the perspective of database structure would allow them to function within general game play.

A great deal of nuclear weapons were designed to simulate ICBMs carrying various numbers of MIRVs. In a general sense they were designed to launch as a ICBM/SLBM and then reach a point where they would "spawn" the MIRVs. Unfortunately this evolution can't be undertaken by the game engine and so the weapons will need to be corrected within the ODB to have them functioning effectively. In some cases the weapons you are already using may in fact be detonating, but at some extreme altitudes - max alt of the missile. As damage from nuclear detonation is based on a calculation using the distance from the blast, when the MIRVs spawn and detonate, their altitude means damage to ground units is "limited" to say the least.

I'll speak to Dale at the first opportunity and discuss what needs to be done and what kind of timeline we'd be looking at to get things fixed. Although some players are happy to use "nukes" some aren't and it's not been a high priority during the current upgrade development period. The problem has at least been isolated and it's just a question of time in updating the ODB so you can use nukes to your heart's content.

If you can't wait, there are numerous third party databases that will happily inform you of their working nukes and you might want to shop around and try a few out.

Cheers

Darren

< Message edited by Bucks -- 2/9/2008 4:30:48 AM >

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 3
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 2:24:12 PM   
petteerr

Darren,

Thanks for the quick reply,so its sth like a bug if i understood right,so any news about the new patch?:)
Also could you please post a link about those  3rd party databases you mention so i can check till the problem is solved?

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 4
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 8:11:32 PM   
Sirius..

Try these 3rd party dbs they have workable NUKES Harpoon Headquarters

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 5
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 9:36:50 PM   
FreekS

Or try below link to PlayersDB.

(in reply to Sirius..)
Post #: 6
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 9:47:09 PM   
Bucks

Predictable and expected...

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to FreekS)
Post #: 7
RE: Using nukes - 2/9/2008 10:14:58 PM   
Bucks

petteerr,

It's not really a bug as such. It's really a result of the the original designers starting with an intention and then having the nuclear option pulled out from under them. As such their work was sort of for nothing at the time and not all of the required code was included in the game. They left the weapons in there but had no way of making them work as intended. When the current nuclear option was included in the game, the extra code to make the nukes work as intended (as the original DB guys wanted) wasn't.

As I said I'll speak to Dale about editing the non-working nukes and see if we can't update the DB (ODB) for those that want it. There's no guarantee we'll fix these as there are plenty of third party DBs (as you've already seen) that have these weapons working in them.

As for the 3.9 patch, it's currently available from the Matrix games members area
http://www.matrixgames.com/members/ Log in and navigate to the ANW section and grab the 3.9.0 patch and start enjoying the upgrade.

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 8
RE: Using nukes - 2/11/2008 5:43:25 PM   
petteerr

Thanks for all of your help i will try to test some databases to see how nukes works.As concern the 3.9, how should i use the new patch, i have already installed 3.8 with
Complete Harpoon ANW Library 
databases,should i uninstall and put one by one and at last the databases or can i install over 3.8 the 3.9 and again the databases?

Saying nuke works i havent test yet but i hope will have realistic performance as concern aread damage!

Thanks.

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 9
RE: Using nukes - 2/11/2008 6:25:14 PM   
BurntFingers

Either. What I do is copy the current version's folder  to a folder called "Old Matrix" and re-install.

If it goes wrong the new version, rename the old version back. You might lose the quick start items off the start menu, but you can always make shortcuts that go directly to the Harpoon3.exe and launcher files.

This method doesn't suit everybody. Takes about 10 MB of disk space (perhaps much more if you have lots of databases, saved games scenarios).

But to answer your question; I am pretty sure the patch expects a version of 3.8 to install on top of.

As for databases - each one goes in it's own folder in the Databases folder inside every "Harpoon 3:Advanced Naval Warafer" folder inside the Matrix folder.

You can copy databases around, but you have to choose which database you play in the H3 launcher.

Each database folder has a little database.xml file that you can edit with Notepad. The H3 Launcher checks all the .xml files when it lets you choose between databases.

Hope that makes it clear?

< Message edited by BurntFingers -- 2/11/2008 6:30:21 PM >

I don't work here. I just collect the glasses to get a beer quicker.

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 10
RE: Using nukes - 2/11/2008 7:37:19 PM   
petteerr

I have install with success patch 3.9 with some players databases!
The problem now is when i try to open a platform picture i have this problem harpoon media viewer 1.2(media not found)!Have i done sth wrong?

(in reply to BurntFingers)
Post #: 11
RE: Using nukes - 2/11/2008 8:03:05 PM   
TonyE

I assume you mean you are using the PlayersDB.  It is most likely that Herman hasn't updated the database yet to show the images included in 3.9, hence the media not found message.  I can say they look quite nice when browsing thru the HUD3 database .

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to petteerr)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support >> Using nukes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI