Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Yugoslavia & State change

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Yugoslavia & State change Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yugoslavia & State change - 1/20/2008 3:38:57 PM   
trsj

I'm playing a PBEM game as Russia. Germany attacked Yugoslavia while it was balanced, i.e. before the coup event that would have made Yogoslavia lean towards the Allies. As a consequence, Hungary, Rumania and Bulgaria did not offer to join Germany per Rule 10.4.2., which, as I understand it, only causes these three countries to check for a State change if an adjacent country that is leaning or pro the other side is attacked by their side. My question is, is there any way Germany can now cause Hungary and Rumania to join the Axis? What else can cause Hungary and Rumania to check for a State change other than Russia or the Allies attacking a country that is balanced, leaning or pro the Axis? (I excluded Bulgaria because it borders Greece and Turkey, which if attacked by Germany while leaning or pro-allied, could cause Bulgaria to join Germany per the Attacking a Rival Neighbor portion of Rule 10.4.2.) If the answer is there is nothing Germany can do then this obviously affects my strategy and placement of defenses.
Post #: 1
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 1/20/2008 5:18:36 PM   
MrQuiet

I have done this before.
It will be checked again when Germany attacks Russian territory that boarders Romainia/Hungry.

Hope that helps.

(in reply to trsj)
Post #: 2
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 1/22/2008 4:02:50 AM   
trsj

Thank you.  I didn't realize that Russia was a "neutral" that triggered a check for a State change.  Guess I should prepare for war with Rumania regardless, though Germany will not be able to pre-position an attack force for the first turn of its invasion.

(in reply to MrQuiet)
Post #: 3
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 1/22/2008 4:09:54 AM   
SGT Rice

Read section 10.4.2 again ... the paragraph titled "Attacking a Rival Neighbor". Neutrals can also change states when you capture an adjacent territory controlled by your opponent. So Russia doesn't have to be neutral; it's enough that its Allied. This is the main mechanism by which Finland can join the Axis; there's a 49% chance everytime the Germans take Leningrad or Karelia.

(in reply to trsj)
Post #: 4
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 1/23/2008 4:24:31 AM   
trsj

I know you're right about Leningrad and Finland, which means I get an "F" in reading comprehension for not equating it to Kiev and Rumania.  10.4.2, concerning Attacking a Rival Neighbor, starts, "When a player attacks a neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to their opponent, then any adjacent neutral . . ."  This led me to believe that the rule only applied to neutrals, which are defined by 10.3.1 as "(an off-white colored Nationality)" and that have, per 10.4.1, "any of five Diplomatic States and a Volatility Rating from 0 to 10, displayed next to the country name on the region pop-up . . ."  Obviously these descriptions don't apply to Russia. But you're right that it goes on to state, "Also, when a player attacks and captures a land region . . . controlled by his opponent, there is a chance that any adjacent neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to the attacker will change its Diplomatic State." That's why there is a helpful forum like this, which gives new players a chance to post questions to experienced ones and get a little help.  Thank you. Now I have to figure out how to take advantage without overplaying it.  

< Message edited by trsj -- 1/23/2008 4:38:42 AM >

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 5
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 2/13/2008 2:29:47 AM   
trsj

In thinking more about this issue, it appears that Germany stands a good chance of triggering a State change for Spain if it captures Gibralter and Portugal, provided Portugal is leaning or pro-Allied or joins the Allies.  Same for Japan for Siam if Japan captures Malaya and Rangoon.  Does anyone playing Germany try to capture Gibralter and Portugal in order to try to get Spain to join the Axis?  Is this a common strategy?

(in reply to trsj)
Post #: 6
RE: Yugoslavia & State change - 2/15/2008 9:11:04 AM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: trsj
In thinking more about this issue, it appears that Germany stands a good chance of triggering a State change for Spain if it captures Gibralter and Portugal, provided Portugal is leaning or pro-Allied or joins the Allies.  Same for Japan for Siam if Japan captures Malaya and Rangoon.  Does anyone playing Germany try to capture Gibralter and Portugal in order to try to get Spain to join the Axis?  Is this a common strategy?

For the German to capture Portugal before the German has Spain is virtually impossible. It requires an amphibious landing in Allied controlled waters.

To capture Gibraltar without Spain is possible. However, it is extremely difficult for Italy to launch an amphibious assault against Gibraltar, so you really can't "plan" on doing it. You have to consider it a target of opportunity and go for it only if at some point you find the garrison is understaffed or non-existent.

(in reply to trsj)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Yugoslavia & State change Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI