Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SPWAW Depot down

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SPWAW Depot down Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 4:50:38 AM   
Korpraali V

Well now I can't reach there either... 

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 31
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 7:11:13 AM   
Bernie

I've reported the trouble and we're working on it Korp.

I'm up to my elbows in virtual server guts right now. ;)

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 32
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 8:38:33 AM   
Whitmire

The forum was working at around 15.00 GMT yesterday, but I didn't have time to actually log in.

I tried the direct IP but it's not working. Now I can't even get to the Depot main site, let alone the forum. I'm hoping it's due to your attempts to resuscitate the forum!

< Message edited by Whitmire -- 2/13/2008 8:39:49 AM >

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 33
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 11:31:20 AM   
Korpraali V

Hmm... now everything seems to be ok again...

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 34
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 1:27:09 PM   
Whitmire

Really? I haven't been able to log in all day. I've tried the direct IP and logging onto www.spwaw.com but to no avail...

It keeps giving me the default error message. "Sivun lataamisvirhe." That's all I get.

As to the IP, it only shows the c-panel and states "Great Success":

"ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group."

Say what?

(in reply to Korpraali V)
Post #: 35
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/13/2008 8:34:18 PM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whitmire

Really? I haven't been able to log in all day. I've tried the direct IP and logging onto www.spwaw.com but to no avail...

It keeps giving me the default error message. "Sivun lataamisvirhe." That's all I get.

As to the IP, it only shows the c-panel and states "Great Success":

"ATTENTION!

If you are seeing this page instead of the site you expected, please contact the administrator of the site involved. (Try sending an email to <webmaster@domain>.) Although this site is running cPanel, WebHost Manager, and Apache software it almost certainly has no other connection to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group. Please do not send mail about this site or its contents to cPanel Inc. or the Apache Group."

Say what?

Most odd... the site, and the forums, have been up and running for two days now.

Okay, let's try something else. I'm assuming your ISP's DNS records are fubar, so let's force them to refresh by making them look up an address not in their records.

Try one of our alternate domain names like www.spwaw.org or www.spwawforums.com or www.thedepotinc.com

There's also:

spwaw.info
spwaw.net
depot-hq.com
depotforums.com
spwaw.us
spwawforum.com
spwawonline.com

One of them has to get you to the Depot again. :)

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 36
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/14/2008 8:40:54 AM   
Whitmire

This is odd indeed.

The problem, as I see it now, is this:

1. www.spwaw.com always produces an error message. (See #5 below for the only exception.)

2. The direct IP takes me to the c-panel, which is not a "great success".

3. I can get in the Depot using an alternate address, such as www.thedepotinc.com. (Thanks for the tip!)

4. However, I cannot access the forum using any of the addresses. It always gives me the error message that the page cannot be loaded.

Now brace yourself for the weird thing. Please allow me to introduce number five:

5. I can get in the Depot and the forum using www.spwaw.com at around 15:00 - 16:00 GMT, but not in the mornings or during the day (in Finland, which is GMT+2). I could also access the forum last night at around eight (18:00 GMT) and the day before, just never during the mornings or the days, which is a problem since that's when I'm using the internet, and I do believe your intention is for spwaw.com to be available 24/7 whenever possible.

So what's the situation this morning? Well, I can get in using an alternate address, but the forum won't open.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 37
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/14/2008 9:49:09 AM   
Bernie

This has to be one of the weirdest problems I've ever heard of when it came to connecting to a site.

Okay, I can understand why using an alternate domain name gets you to the site but not the forums. Most of the links, including internal links from one page to another, use spwaw.com as the domain. I prefer to use absolute addresses when I write code, but in this case a relative address would have enabled you to get to the forums.

As for the IP number problem, the only way that should be taking you to cPanel is if there were a port number included. I assume there's nothing added on your address bar? It should show http://207.210.116.165/ and that's it. (Just tried this myself and I'm getting the same thing you do... weird! I'll have to check our DNS entries)

#5 just baffles me... 1500-1600 GMT is 10 AM to 11 AM here, and there isn't anything "scheduled" to run on the server at that time. No backups, upgrades, nothing. It's not even a particularly busy time on the Depot, so that's our first clue... it's when the server is least busy... hmm... I'll have to check some settings on the server...

First though, let's see if we can resolve the problem of spwaw.com not working for you.

In your Windows directory you'll find a file named "hosts" (no extension - possibly a hidden file) That contains a hosts table of IP addresses that your browser uses to connect to the internet. Open the file with a regular text editor (notepad will do) and search it for "spwaw". When you find it, delete the entire line, or all the lines if it's in more than one, then resave the file. (You should probably make a copy of the file before you do this - just in case) Make sure that when you save it there's no extension added. Notepad will often tack a .txt extension on files and we don't want that. Now, reboot the computer and try connecting to www.spwaw.com

What we've done is removed any saved IP address for the Depot in your hosts file. That's the first place your browser looks for an IP address when you try to go to a site. If there's no entry there for it then it gets the fresh data from your ISP. We're going to force your system to do that and see if it corrects the problem.

< Message edited by Bernie -- 2/14/2008 9:52:06 AM >

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 38
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/14/2008 10:46:27 AM   
Whitmire

Just letting you know that I am attempting it now.

Edit1: Wow, that was quite an episode.

Results: Internet blindness for 15 minutes. I couldn't connect to anything at all.

Reason: HOSTS doesn't take lightly to being edited. You're right: definitely save a backup before tinkering with HOSTS files. Luckily I did.

Other: There was only the local host IP in the HOSTS file, so I wasn't able to delete anything. Neither SPWAW nor the forum working.

EDIT2: OK, I tried accessing the SPWAW forums from my other computer, which hasn't had an internet connection for months (and the last time I tried, the forum was working perfectly).

Guess what happened?

No, unfortunately it didn't work. I could get in the Depot main site using an alternate address, but I couldn't access www.spwaw.com OR the forums.

Conclusion: The problem isn't on my computer. Two computers can't have the same problem, especially since the other one hasn't been online for months.

Something's seriously wrong, and it's not me!

< Message edited by Whitmire -- 2/14/2008 2:17:34 PM >

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 39
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/14/2008 4:52:52 PM   
dutchiexx

Since yesterdaymorning I wasn't able to get to the Depot...  All I got was the following message:

quote:

Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.

The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

BC01.

(in reply to Whitmire)
Post #: 40
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/15/2008 11:36:13 AM   
Bernie

quote:

ORIGINAL: dutchiexx

Since yesterdaymorning I wasn't able to get to the Depot... All I got was the following message:

quote:

Network Error (dns_server_failure)

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.

The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

BC01.

Well, we did have some serious errors in our DNS zone files, from when the server was created. Somehow a few entries used for testing and setup were not removed before they gave me the keys. :)

Those errors were fixed, right around the time you started having your problem Henk, so I'm betting something else got screwed up in the process. Oh, and FWIW, Whitmire can connect now, so at least we're getting some results.

(in reply to dutchiexx)
Post #: 41
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/15/2008 12:53:55 PM   
dutchiexx

After trying the link to the depot forum at the top of the depot homepage, I'm in again!

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 42
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/15/2008 8:06:33 PM   
Bernie

quote:

After trying the link to the depot forum at the top of the depot homepage, I'm in again!

If it happens again, we'll need you to do a traceroute to figure out the problem. The way to do this is to open a DOS window and type traceroute spwaw.com then paste the results here. That will enable us to see just where the problem lies.

(in reply to dutchiexx)
Post #: 43
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/16/2008 11:48:46 AM   
dutchiexx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bernie

quote:

If it happens again, we'll need you to do a traceroute to figure out the problem. The way to do this is to open a DOS window and type traceroute spwaw.com then paste the results here. That will enable us to see just where the problem lies.

Will do, Bernie! .... Though I hope it won't be needed!

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 44
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/18/2008 1:09:16 AM   
koju

Bernie. There is no traceroute in some windows versions. Example my XP pro don't have one.

(in reply to dutchiexx)
Post #: 45
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/18/2008 7:24:53 AM   
Bernie

I find that hard to believe!  traceroute and ping are two essentials of any tcp/ip service setup.

I'll look into this further and get some answers.

(in reply to koju)
Post #: 46
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/18/2008 5:06:54 PM   
koju

This is Windows XP with SP1. Ping is working but some reason there is no traceroute on Dos console.

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 47
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/19/2008 3:10:35 PM   
Alby

seems to be down again

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

< Message edited by Alby -- 2/19/2008 3:11:06 PM >

(in reply to koju)
Post #: 48
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/19/2008 3:18:01 PM   
RobDee

No luck on getting on...my browser just locks up.

RD

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 49
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/19/2008 3:20:23 PM   
Alby

working now

(in reply to RobDee)
Post #: 50
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/19/2008 3:43:56 PM   
RobDee

Yup!

Thanks Boss!

-RD

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 51
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 2/23/2008 5:51:05 PM   
Yava

Ok sorry to interrupt but I don't want to open a separate thread about it. Can anyone here tell me what email is required to register on The Depot? My gmail and one more Polish account does not work. 

Art by Dixie.

(in reply to RobDee)
Post #: 52
RE: SPWAW Depot down - 3/14/2009 7:35:39 AM   
Zap

Tried your alternate domains links worked for me. For me though, I have to use your link at the matrix forum to get to the Depot. To directly search for it with my browser "as you have given" http://207.210.116.165, http://www.spwaw.org/ does not work.

< Message edited by Zap -- 3/14/2009 8:28:28 AM >

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: SPWAW Depot down Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI