Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Australian for Beer!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Australian for Beer! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Australian for Beer! - 2/5/2008 4:26:13 AM   
John 3rd

Funny!  I do believe that they are South Pacific assigned.  Have to run a turn to see.

I do know that they are now getting alimited amount of Fosters lager from captured Aussie breweries! 

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 121
Scratch ONE Flattop! - 2/6/2008 8:54:14 AM   
John 3rd

I have been busy watching my two sons over the last couple of days and have nearly 2 weeks of Combat to Report. Problem is--I am READY for bed. I decide to play out the turn I got from Dan and head for beddy-bye when suddenly my Recon spots the whole damned American navy one hex from Maleolap and Wotje!

HOLY COW! How could my recon not spot these guys 8-12 hexes away??? Expecting the worst, I hit the play button...

All I have to say is SCRATCH ONE FLATTOP! To the men of the USS Wasp...

Will do a real update tomorrow morning. Sorry for the teaser but will take care to add more detail in about 9 hours.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 122
RE: Scratch ONE Flattop! - 2/6/2008 4:31:50 PM   
USSAmerica

It's been 7.5 hours...... I'm counting. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 123
One Down and Three to go... - 2/6/2008 5:07:11 PM   
John 3rd

OK.  OK.  OK!

Just woke up and Mom has the kids for the moment.

Many of you had seen my Operational Layout in the Central and SE Pacific with the screenshots that I had put up last week.  As you know, my biggest fear of counterattack while I am so heavily invested within Australia has been an attack at either the Papeate area or the Marshalls/Midway region.  It appears that Dan is making a serious effort to distract me from Australia by trying to make a contested landing at either Maleolop or Wotje in the Marshalls.

What I cannot believe is that this massive force wasn't picked up by my Recon!  Of, well...

As the October 14th turn started to roll, I was simply watching the recon reports when suddenly (1 HEX away from Maleolop and Wotje) my planes spot TF after TF after TF and positively identify Hornet and Wasp!  Yikes!  BB South Dakota, a CLAA, and 8 DD bombard Maleolop in the morning. 

OK---Here we go!  I had planned on this possiblity so let us see what happens...

In the morning phase nothing really happens.  Wotje is hit by 28 SBD from Wasp and that is about it.

The afternoon brings great GLORY to Japan!  I mentioned earlier, I had pooled my attack planes in Kwajalein:  54 Zero, 81 Betty.  These planes launch two strikes against the American Fleet:

1.  The first strike is small (11 Zero  7 Betty) and it targets my Alaskan adversary USS Hornet.  Surprisingly there are only 18 F4F on CAP.  At a cost of 3 Zero, all my Betty get through and make their drops.  None hit!  One Betty falls...

2.  The second strike packs a punch (10 Zero and 45 Betty) and fights its way through light opposition (16 F4F) again.  The two Daitai of 75+ Lvl skill make a classic scissors attack upon the USS Wasp!  The desperate ships tried to avoid nearly 30 TT dropped from close range.  She isn't fast enough!  Count them--NINE TT find their mark and down goes the Wasp with nearly all of her Wildcats and Avengers!  The remaining Betty make drops on the USS New Mexico and put a TT into her as well.

End of day.

Reaction
1.  Where were Dan's F4Fs?  Who cares!!!  I sank a CV for little to no cost (3 Zero and 7 Betty) and the Invasion Force hasn't landed yet.

2.  Planes--I order a convergence of aircraft at Maleolop and Kwajalein.  A Daitai of Zero and two Daitai of Betty arrive at Kwajalein.  Another--indentical--force lands at Maleolop.  I move to Baker a one Daitai of each of the following:  Zero, Val, Kate, and Betty.  We shall see how strong this American Force is with one CV already sunk!

3.  Ships--As mentioned earlier, I had 2 CA, 6 CL, and 18 DD at Kwajalein.  This force was augmented just a day earlier by 2 BC, 3 CA, 1 CL, and more DDs.  I form two STF to attack.  I am guessing that Wotje is the target.  It has a weaker defence and Sz-4 AF.  Each STF has a BC, numerous cruisers and DD.  They are set for full speed and can easily make the round trip.  We see if they can get into the invasion convoys!

BANZAI!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 124
RE: One Down and Three to go... - 2/6/2008 5:37:16 PM   
USSAmerica

Well done, John! 

If Dan presses on with his invasion, things could get very bloody tomorrow. 

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 125
RE: One Down and Three to go... - 2/6/2008 5:56:35 PM   
John 3rd

I'm kind of hoping that is exactly what he does.  His AK/AP cannot get away too fast.  If he retreats, then I will savage his fully loaded troop convoys.  If he attacks, then I have a great chance of inflicting far more serious casualties. 

My STF are strong enough--particularly in TT--to cause fearful damage to his ships.  Any cripple will--hopefully--be picked off my by LBA.

It should be REAL interesting to watch. 

Simple fact though...the loss of the Wasp for no CV loss to me is HUGE!  My CV TF remains intact and his is now down by 3!  Let us see:

Sunk CV:  Enterprise, Lexington, and Wasp
Available CV:  Saratoga, Yorktown, and Hornet

To this I have 8 CV, 5 CVL, and 4 CVE...

It appears that 1943 might be a VERY good year for Japan!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 126
RE: One Down and Three to go... - 2/6/2008 6:16:47 PM   
USSAmerica

Hey John, what's up with your signature banner?  I haven't been able to see it for several days now.

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 127
Two US Carriers in Two Days! BANZAI! - 2/6/2008 7:53:25 PM   
John 3rd

Hi Sir. I have my banner linked to an art site and they took the picture off and I have yet to find a replacement that I like. Should find something today I hope.

Combat Report
October 15, 1942

Scratch another US CV! Two down and two to go...

The Americans decide to concentrate their landings at Maloelap. Thank Goodness since I am strongest there. They do try a landing at Wotje but fail. I have two pages of notes but will try to be brief about events:

Surface Fights
My 2 STF do indeed mix it up with several TF at Wotje! American Cover is provided by a TF centered on BB Mississippi, CL Phoneix, and 7 DD. Doing darned fine work, the Japanese TF completely disrupt the landings and sink 2 DD, 1 AO, and 2 AP. Heavy damage is delivered to a further 3 DD, 1 CL, the Mississippi, 4 AP, and 2 AK. In return these Japanese TF take very little damage. I place 1 BC and 2 DD into harbor at Kwajalein.

The remaining ships replennish and 1 STF is immediately sent back to Wotje to prevent more landings. The other STF changes its mission to Fast Transport and begins loading 4200 troops of the 35th Inf Brigade for landing at Wotje. I already have 24 TR planes flying the 35th into this island.

LBA Strikes
Morning Attacks:

Raid 1 of 18 Zero and 9 B try to hit Saratoga and Yorktown's TF. They meet up with 47 Wildcats and lose 8 Z for 7 Betty for 2 F4F. The remaining bombers drop a pair of TT that miss Yorktown.

Raid 2 of 5 Zero and 41 Betty find a Torpedo pilot's dream below them. An American CV with NO CAP up! Lots of planes on deck though... Before the Hornet can launch her planes, my Sea Eagles dive to the attack! Hornet takes 1TT, BB Tennessee 1 TT, and CL Concord 1 TT. Somewhat disappointing but I only lose 4 Betty.

Raid 3 of 32 Zero and 47 Betty appear right at the end of this attack and have the net effect of not allowing Hornet to launch her fighters. These planes--the victors over the Wasp yesterday--really do the job! Between them they do the following: Hornet 2 TT, Tennessee 5 TT and CL Trenton 1 TT for a cost of 2 Betty. The Tennessee, survivor of Pearl Harbor, rolls over as she heads for the bottom. Hornet lies dead in the water crippled!

Afternoon Strikes
Raid 1 (10 Zero and 3 Betty) make another attempt at Saratoga and Yorktown but 40 Wildcats force the decision to be an attack upon a CL. They miss the Honolulu at a cost of 3 Zero for 1 F4F.

Raid 2 (15 Zero and 25 Betty) bore in from Maleolap. They find the Hornet and SINK HER with another pair of TT! Losing 1 Betty, they miss their other targets...

Raid 3 comes in from Baker Island and goes after the TF around Maloelap. A group of 13 Betty hit an AK and AP with 1 TT each.

Landings:
Wotje is hit with the 1st Marine raiders and they easily throw them back into the water! Gopt to note that I only have a A.S. of 15 there. If Dan wants to keep up this attack, he will know that this is an easy capture. This is why I am flying in 35th Brigade ASAP and prepping my Fast Transport TF to get nearly 5,000 troops there.

Maleolap has a far larger landing going on. Units identified are 1st Marine Division, 34th Eng Reg, 2nd Mar Defence Btn, and 804th EAB. THANK GOODNESS this is my strongest Island--next to Kwajalein--in the area! The Japanese Bombard for 479 Casualties. The American Shock Attack gets a 0-1 versus Fort 8 and costs them 1,739 Casualties for NO Japanese!

This island should hold without a major issue.

Orders for the 16th:
1. STF to prevent landing at Wotje.
2. Fast Tran TF to land 35 Inf Brig on 17th at Wotje.
3. Set all Betty Daitai to shorter strike range so they can concentrate on Allied surface forces and transports.
4. Move a Daitai of Vals and Sentai of Marys to Baker for deployment at maleolop on the 17th.
5. CarDiv2 (Hiryu-Soryu) is en route to Baker and should arrive there on the 19th. I'll use them to clean up any stragglers.

Thoughts???

Things look beyond solid at this point! Will Dan continue the landing and allow me to kill more troops as well as ships? This is the major question but he is in Atlanta for a good part of today so we won't know until later today.

Raid 2 of

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 128
RE: Two US Carriers in Two Days! BANZAI! - 2/6/2008 8:11:17 PM   
USSAmerica

Thoughts???

Only this.  BANZAI!!!

That hurts coming from an AFB. 

< Message edited by USS America -- 2/6/2008 9:20:54 PM >

Mike

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 129
RE: Two US Carriers in Two Days! BANZAI! - 2/6/2008 8:14:39 PM   
Q-Ball

John, Great AAR by the way! I am also reading your opponent's, but no comments from that, loose lips sinks ships and all!

And Bettys too. I am playing 2 games as IJN, and you are doing better than both of mine by far. Both my esteemed opponents, though, have made major mistakes in underestimating the Betty. Bettys can be anywhere in the map in one or two days, and any Allied player attempting an invasion would be foolish not to supress all lvl 4 airfields within 6 to 8 hexes, otherwise you will definitely hear from Ms. Betty! Dan didn't have a plan for supressing your airfields, with so many in range of Maloelap.

Surprised you had all those surface ships at Kwaj though, a better idea for him might have been a Port Raid on Kwaj. Though it's easier to raid Allied ports than IJN.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 130
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/6/2008 8:23:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Ouch. This reminds me of the fight scene in Cool Hand Luke.

Shouldn't you put in the second string or something?

Maybe Sallys and Oscars in place of the Bettys and Zeros

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 131
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/6/2008 11:26:59 PM   
John 3rd

Thanks everyone!

I do not understand Dan's choice in attacking here.  Why not hit an edge where I only have one AF available?  Why not suppress my AFs with Bombardment?  More importantly why didn't he do ANY recon to see what is where?  Midway or Canton or Papeate would have been my choices.

Since some of you are reading both AARs, you might want to help Dan and buck him up some.  I wager that he is really down in the dumps at the moment.  I would be furious that my fighters didn't fly!  WHERE were Hornet's CAP?  Were they set on LR CAP elsewhere?  Did Hornet separate from the other 2 CVs accidently?

Not sure how this will continue.  I want the fight to keep going and Dan NOT collapse and give in!  Can I actually TAKE Australia at the end of 1942 and beginning of 1943?  People (and Japan) want to know!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 132
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/7/2008 12:51:02 AM   
John 3rd

Dan is pretty depressed.  I have offered him a mulligan since his CAP didn't fly.  I don't want him to kill the game for the above reasons...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 133
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/7/2008 2:40:46 AM   
ny59giants

If this was actual war, the Allies would have to fight into 1947 or beyond to win.

I have limited, but enough, experience as an Allied player to know that CVs vs unsurpressed LBA is not a winning situation.   You have learned that getting within a level 4 AF that can base TB's is dangerous for your health and your ships. If Dan continues on, he will not be able to do much until sometime in '44. 

You should strongly consider invading Nz after Australia as you have time to do so easily now.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 134
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/7/2008 6:17:07 AM   
John 3rd

Dan wrote a while ago this evening and is strongly considering quitting the game due to the situation.  Once again, could people jump onto his AAR and try to bolster his morale??

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 135
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/7/2008 10:52:51 AM   
castor troy

If he didn´t mess up with his CAP settings then he was hit by the same bug I´ve just recently been hit in my game against Hortlund. Until a couple of days I only heard ONCE about this, Mogami stated it was a bug (I think in AndyMac´s game?) when CVs don´t launch any cap (IF THE CAP SETTING WASN´T MESSED UP). THIS IS NOT A FEATURE!!

I don´t know if Cap of one CV would have saved him but you never know. In my case I had a whole CV TF not launching cap.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 136
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/7/2008 6:05:00 PM   
John 3rd

Hey Christian!

You should hop over to the other AAR and mention this to Dan.  I offered to replay the turn but he seems resigned to the loss.  It wasn't his fault and I am 'game' to try again...

John

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 137
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/10/2008 12:16:52 AM   
John 3rd

Hello.  Been a couple of busy days for me and I haven't been able to update the AAR.  Hope to do so tonight once everyone has gone to bed.

Anyone like my new art for my posts?  Found a new art site and picked these two! 

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 138
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/10/2008 12:18:04 AM   
John 3rd

...with thanks to my wife who understands how these infernal computers WORK...(she is standing to the side as I write this!)...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 139
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/10/2008 12:22:32 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

...with thanks to my wife who understands how these infernal computers WORK...(she is standing to the side as I write this!)...

very nice pics John!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 140
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/10/2008 12:58:54 AM   
John 3rd

Thanks Castor.  I was hoping to find a Jap CV but thought the CA Takao was pretty good cutting across the CVL in the background.

Got to run a turn.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 141
RE: Australian for Beer! - 2/12/2008 6:53:33 AM   
John 3rd

Life has been...hectic...and I am WAY BEHIND on the AAR!  We just logged in the October 24th turn and I have to REALLY do a long entry to catch up.  Will try to do it tomorrow.

Will note that 3 CV (Hiryu/Soryu and Shokaku/Zuikaku) should be giving Dan a rude surprise tomorrow morning (Oct 25th) as they will be in his direct supply/withdrawal path between Wotje and Johnson Island...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 142
The Battle for Wotje--October 16-29, 1942 - 2/14/2008 12:17:31 AM   
John 3rd

The Battle for Wotje
October 16-29, 1942

Overview
As soon as a realized that Dan was going to land no matter what the cost at Wotje and/or Maloelap I realized that I had been sent a GOLDEN opportunity to crush the American ability to land troops for at least the next six months. Having cut American CV strength down to two CVs--Yorktown and Saratoga and a couple of CVE, I knew that--if patient--I could deal a hammer blow to the Allied cause.

To do this required patience and NOT attacking every day until ready. This I did and the results have been fantastic.

Gathering the Forces
1. KB I had CarDiv2 (Hiryu/Soryu) prowling around west of Papeate. At Noumea was CarDiv3 (Shokaku/Zuikaku) with their escorts. I ordered the two TF to rendezvous at Baker Island for the move to cut off the Allied line-of-communication between Johnston Island and Wotje.

2. BB TF To take this island back I would need to obliterate the airpower present. To best do that I wanted I needed large caliber guns! From the Rockhampton, Australia area I ordered my STF including Yamato, Mutsu, Ise and Hyuga to move first to Noumea and then on to Tarawa. They have 2 CL and 13 DD escorting them.

3. Support Bases--I immediately realized that Kwajalein might become a rather dangerous place to be so I ordered existing supply and fuel TF to unload at Eniwetok in the NW and Tarawa in the south. They will serve as my spring boards against Wotje.

4. Aerial Forces--The last thing I want to do is lose a lot of aircraft against the F4F and P-38s that are present. I scale back my attacks and settle onto more of a defensive posture while letting my Betty recover their morale. I also move Betty out to Wake to hit the northern shoulder of Dan's TF and to Baker to hit the southern flank.

5. Kwajalein becomes my forward base to project power. I order the occasional STF to hit Wotje and keep Dan's eyes fixed on the base while I also serve notice that I am not running away. Supplies and fuel are still being delivered to keep the aerial units and warships there at full strength.

The Battle for Wotje
October 16th has a major surface brawl with my STF (led by BC Kirishima) against seperate STF led by the BB New Mexico then South Dakota, and finally against Washington. Why these powerful units were not concentrated surprised me! Kirishima takes 7 16" shells and is a mess. Don't suffer too much more damage to other ships though. Do lose an old DD that night. My TF sinks 3 DD, damages a number of other DD, CL's Phoenix and St Louis, as well as New Mexico.

BB New Mexico is hit by 3 TT during the day as it retreats towards home. Also manage to put single TTs into South Dakota and Washington forcing them to retreat. Pretty good day in causing that.

October 17th sees a the BC Kirishima sink after serious damage from two modern BB the night before. Wotje falls to the following units: 1st/2nd Marine Div, 1st Raider Btn, 3rd Marine Def Btn, 19th/34th Eng Regiments, and 72nd Aviation Reg.

October 18th has an immediate infusion of planes to the newly captured base. A P-38 Squadron, his remaining F4F from Yorktown and Saratoga move ashore, an SBD Squadron, and a B-17 Squadron create the immediate enemy I have to deal with.

October 19th has me moving troops. I change the HQ of the 22nd Inf Div and 2nd Mix Regiment from China to 4th Fleet. They had just helped knock Dan out of Nanchang and were slightly damaged so the PP cost wasn't too bad. Order them to Shanghai for embarkation to Kwajalein. They begin planning for Wotje on this day. Heavy aerial fighting occurs as a realize I need to shift to more of a defensive posture or severely lose a lot of excellent pilots.

October 20th-22nd sees his planes hitting various targets and--while I lose planes--I shot down more of his. His P-38 are not too effective. I bet it is an inexperienced unit. Graduate school now baby!

October 23rd has my CVs rendezvous at Baker: 4 CV, BC Haruna, 3 CA, and 6 DD move northwards to cut off the American supply line. A STF from Kwajalein hits Wotje with 2 CA, 4 CL, and 12 DD. They do quite well and sink 3 DD, 2 PT, and 2 AK for slight damage.

October 24th brings my CVs into immediate action where they sink 2 MSW, 1 AP, and 2 AK.

October 25th features a STF hit Wotje and my KB wreaking havoc! The STF (3 CA, 5 CL, and 10 DD) battle it out with no less then 5 Allied TF and they sink 2 DD, 2 APD, 1 PT, and--importantly--the MLE supplying mines! The CVs sink a ML and DMS. Dan starts moving his fleeing TF farther north towards Wake and Midway.

October 26th-28th has 5 AK, 3 AP, 1 DD, 1 SC, 1 MSW go down as well as CL Phoenix sink due to damage earlier.

October 29th has the double whammy again of a STF and KB activity. The STF under the able command of Rr-Adm Nabeta hits SEVEN TF and frequently gains surprise over his American opponents--down go 4 DD, 2 APD, 1 PT, and 5 AK! The Carriers add 2 AP, 2 AK, and a DD. Wake and Baker add a MSW, 2 AK, and an AP.

This then is the summary of my operations here. I am crippling the American DDs and AP/AK forces. My BB TF is about 2 days from Tarawa where it will deliver a terrible blow to Wotje. My fighters and bombers will then immiedately launch an attack that SHOULD cripple Allied air. After this it will be simply a case of wearing him down before choosing the time of my landing. I would guess a landing date of about December 5th.

My CVs will operate another day and then return to Eniwetok for replennishment.

How about that?

BANZAI!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/14/2008 12:22:41 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 143
Eastern Australia--November 1, 1942 - 2/14/2008 11:28:58 PM   
John 3rd

Am posting a few screen shots before updating the AAR with Australia's situation.

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 144
Southern Australia--November 1, 1942 - 2/14/2008 11:43:20 PM   
John 3rd

Southern Australia is in a state of crisis. Can the Japanese do it?

Any strategic thoughts would be helpful!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 145
November 1, 1942 Industrial and VP Report - 2/15/2008 1:46:28 AM   
John 3rd

November 1, 1942
Victory Points and Economic Summary

Victory Points:

Score
Japan   30,781  (Up 3,982 Points)
Allies    9,385  (Up 1,280 Points)

WOW!  Look at those numbers.  I gained nearly 4-1 for the month.  The vast majority of it came from shipping sunk and the capture of Adelaide, Rockhampton, and Townsville.

Ships Sunk
Japan   236—2,142 VP—Only 22 ships (BC Kirishima and 4 DD only combatants lost) sunk during October with most of these coming in the opening surprise at Wotje’s landing.

Major Japanese Vessels Sunk to Date---BB Fuso and Yamashiro, BC Kirishima, CAs Kinugasa and Kako, 5 CL, 24 DD (only 10 Modern DD lost), and 15 SS (11 I-Boats and 4 Ro-)

Allies    373---5,534 VP---Dan lost—catch this--126 ships!  Totals for the month were:  2 CV, 1 BB, 2 CL, 18 DD, 12 AP, 39 AK, 4 TK, 1 AO, 5 MSW, 1 MLE, 3 DMS/DM, 1 ML, 2 SC, 3 PG, 1 SS.  His evacuation of Melbourne and Sydney has been and still is a disaster.  The invasion of Wotje—thought gaining tactical surprise can be described in the same manner.

Major Allied Vessels Sunk---CVs Enterprise, Lexington, Hornet, and Wasp, BBs Colorado, West Virginia, Idaho and Tennessee, 9 CA, 7 CL, 48 DD, and 4 SS.

Manchukuo Garrison---8,737 (8,000 Needed)—down 358 from pull outs.
Political Points---1,587

Several Manchurian units pulled as well as an Infantry Division and Infantry Brigade from China.

Industrial Report
Supply              2,173,128
Fuel                  1,677,376
Manpower       847 (703,865)
Heavy Industry 14,758 (438)
Resources        19,636 (1,570,309)
Oil                    2067 (796,143)

Things are stabilizing with my economy.  The newly captured cities in Australia are really starting to bump my Manpower, Heavy Industry, and Resources.  This should significantly help my economy the longer I hold it.

Shipyards
Naval               1,342 (2)
Merchant          981
Repair              1,419

Repair rose 75 points this month and that refers to Cebu, Soerabaja, and Singapore increasing their respective yards.

Specific Ships:
Musashi is 237 Days from completion.  I’ve accelerated CVs Taiho (234), Unryu (451), Amagi (469), and Katsuragi (660).   Am now projecting the completion of Taiho at about March 1, 1943 with Unryu and Amagi being commissioned about July 1, 1943.

Weapons
Armament        572 (72,749)
Vehicles           144 (1,241)

My vehicles came down about 100 over the month as I had to rebuild 4 Tk Regiments in Australia.  Might have to watch this number some.

Aircraft
Engines 1,979
Assembly         986+(536-Rd)

Assembly stayed the same as October but I shifted more to Research and it went up 37.  My A6M3a’s have now kicked in and I can improve my CV fighters a little.

Engine Production
Mitsubishi         805/Month—Need 481—1,849 in Pool
Nakajima         974—Need 772---0 in Pool
Kawasaki         180---Need 190---643 in Pool
Aichi                20---Need 0---193 in Pool

Need to get those Nakajima’s into the pool.

Plane Production
Fighters            Planes/Month (in Pool)
A6M2  65 (419)
A6M3  84 (17)
A6M3a  72 (0)
Oscar   0 (406)
Oscar IIc 21-R
Tojo     76 (23)
Tony    190 (35)
Jack     57-R

Shifted some M2 Zero production over to A3a to get the CVs refitted ASAP in November.  Had heavy fighter drain with all the air-to-air last month.

Bombers
Betty    98 (316)
Sally     40 (12)
Helen   91 (13)
Lily       78 (4)
Val       32 (408)—Lowered Production and turned it off.
Kate     42 (136)—raised it by 25 and it is slowly coming up.

I will look at stopping Betty when I hit 400 in pool.  The Bombers Offensive in China, Burma, and Australia  REALLY drew down my Sally, Helen, and Lily stockpiles.

Recon/Float
Emily    20 (43)
Alf        5 (45)
Pete     0  (51)
Pete A  0  (43)
Rufe     0 (64)
Glen     4 (43)
Dinah   0 (225)
Irving    8 (4)
Jake     8 (133)
Babs    12 (6)

Everything fine here.

Transports
Tina      10 (23)
Sally     5 (28)
Topsy   10 (39)
Mavis-L 5 (16)
Tabby 10 (60)

Will restart production due to my heavy use of Transports in Australia.

Comments
What a magnificent month for Japan!  I have never seen numbers like this.  There is about a 50-50 chance of me taking Australia at the moment.  IF I can destroy the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions at Wotje, then I will raise this chance to 70% because I will know that the United States cannot launch an offensive in the Central Pacific until the summer of 1943 and I can act accordingly.

Time--strange to say as the Japanese--is on my side in Australia!  I will take my time to finish this continent off and if I cannot, then I will make sure that I can move this massive army to where it will be needed eventually.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 146
RE: November 1, 1942 Industrial and VP Report - 2/15/2008 2:25:39 AM   
ny59giants

When it comes to Australia, I would look to take out Sydney vs. Melbourne first. Why?? There are plenty of bases close by to use you LBA to bring his supply levels down before the final assaults. Melbourne has few bases close by.

When it comes to re-securing the Marshalls, Dan did one thing wrong in his planning. Having no other base to use any LBA from and it being too far away to get anything but his longer legged LBA to it (I would have gone through the Northern pacific, but that's just me ). I don't see how he can expect to re-supply it without paying a huge price. Again, bomb it back to the stone ages before you conduct your assault. Besides getting P-38s and some Wildcats in there, there are few Allied fighters with a large enough ferry range. Continue to pressure his fighters there to force him to use up those naval pilots. Its easier for you to take out his naval pilots here and now vs. later in Corsairs and Hellcats (even though he probably has a significant surplus now).

What are you doing with your sub fleet now that his supply needs and LOC are restricted??

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 147
RE: November 1, 1942 Industrial and VP Report - 2/15/2008 5:05:12 AM   
John 3rd

Hi Michael.

It is funny that you mention my SS forces. I had just completed repairs on about 12-14 SS up in Northern Japan when Dan attacked. On November 1st they started to enter the area of operations East and NE of the Marshalls. I will form them into a pair of SS Lines and then slowly move them back and forth looking for targets.

I have 3 of my ML SS just about to arrive at Kwajalein. They will begin mining Johnston Isle to cause issues for Dan also.

Australia shall be interesting. I have 2 1/2 more Inf Div on the way to Brisbane. I would like it first then then will see to either Melbourne or Sydney. I want the town West of Melbourne for a bomber base; however, I think this will serve as a distraction.

There are 3 more Inf Div and 4 Tk Reg in Adelaide. They have been refitting over the last two weeks and I blieve that I will send them through Broken Hill to cut off and TAKE Brisbane from the rear. It appears that Dan might send a few more units to the town and I would welcome that. He has cut through my previous attempts at surrounding and capturing a large portion of the Australian garrision--perhaps--I could take everything at Brisbane and then decide my next major target.

I am sinking 10-15 ships a day right now between Wotje and the Aussie Exodus. My bombers, CVs, and small STF have had a field day like none other that I have seen. Even though I have been losing planes, these attacks have served to keep my XP levels very nicely high. Most units are still in their 70s and low-80s. The attritional side of these battle hasn't hurt too much YET.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 148
Japanese Army OOB in Australia - 2/15/2008 6:19:22 PM   
John 3rd

I gave some serious thoughts to the battle in Australia and have come up with the master plan for the capture of the continent.  Let me first provide the Order of Battle:

2nd Area Army (Rockhampton)
Objective:  Brisbane

17th Army  (Northern Prong of Brisbane Assault)
2nd ID/10th ID/56th ID
1st Mixed Brig/7th Ind Brig
3 Artillery Reg
4 Engineering Reg
2 Tank Reg

14th Army  (Southern Prong of Brisbane Assault located at Broken Hill)
16th ID/20th ID/48th ID
1st Mixed Reg
2 Engineering Reg
2 Parachute Reg

Southern Area Army (located at Broken Hill)
Objective:  Sydney

25th Army (NW of Melbourne)
4th ID/18th ID/Imperial Guards
56th Inf Brig
4 Artillery Reg
2 Engineering Reg

At Adelaide (refitting)
4 Tank Regiments

Arriving Reinforcements (NE of Gili-Gili)
1st Tank Division
Tank Reg
Engineering Reg

To make a serious attack at Brisbane I need to get the 2nd ID and 56th ID to that city.  The 2nd ID just unloaded at Rockhampton and is headed south.  The 56th just took Townsville and is moving down to Rockhampton. 

Dan only has about 500 A.S. in Brisbane.  While I could take that once the 17th Army is concentrated, I am hoping to lure Dan into sending more units up there.  Currently he has a pair of Aust ID smacking my 1st Mixed Regiment around North of Sydney.  I am hoping he moves them from there to Brisbane. 

The 14th Army is waiting on the arrival of 20th and 48th ID from Adelaide before moving south towards Sydney.  Once they get into the area, I will swing the whole army so that it captures Newcastle and then drive north to prevent the withdrawal of Aussie units in Brisbane.  I will leave most of the army in Newcastle while an ID heads north up the road to encircle Brisbane.  The 4 Tank Regiments currently refitting in Adelaide will cover the other road leading to Brisbane and then that should be it.

The 25th Army will sit close enough to Melbourne to attract his attention and serve as a decoy for all those troops sitting there.

Dan has escaped my encirclements twice and I want this one to succeed.  ANY froces I can destroy before having to deal with those urban hexes will be great!  This, then, is the final plan for the immediate destruction of Brisbane with Sydney to come after that... 

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 149
A Chinese Lunge??!! - 2/18/2008 10:04:07 PM   
John 3rd

It is now November 13, 1942 in our campaign and it appears that Dan is going to lunge westward from China. After his repulse from Nanchang 2-3 weeks ago, I had my bombers and fighters harrassing his infantry column. As you know, once these planes have a target, they tend to follow it to the limit of their range.

What caught my attention is that about 2/3 of the 40 units that had attacked Nanchang kept right on moving west and passed Changsha. Once I ascertained this, I tasked 4 Recon Chutai to begin covering those cities moving west from Changsha towards Nanning. Sure enough, the Chinese units kept moving westwards.

On the 10th it dawned on me that he might be wanting to invade Vietnam. To put it simply---I panicked! Hanoi is being held by an Inf Div and recently arrived Inf brig that appeared at Samah as a reinforcement. Beyond those two combat units...there isn't ANYTHING nearby!

Movement and embarkation order went out immediately. The map below will show what I have done and what is moving. If Dan goes through with this assault as I see it developing, life could get REALLY interesting. I would get those 4 Vietminh Divisions but they only start at about 1/3 strength. We'll see...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Australian for Beer! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI