Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mustangs vs Shindens

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mustangs vs Shindens Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/16/2008 6:53:00 PM   
PzB74

Enemy is moving troops into the tiny base he captured north of Ceylon and sending small
tank units around the map. Moving a regiment to deal with them. Assume an assault will move towards
Madras soon, it's a city hex so we'll have good defenses there with 9 forts. Not sure how many troops
to send though, Karachi and Bombay must be left well defended.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/17/45

ASW Attacks

Enemy subs stay too long in single hexes and detection levels go up.
Our ASW managed to land a direct hit today and later on a Sonia did the same.
Lizardfish is in trouble.

One of the great improvements in AE will be the ability to set patrol zones - way points.

ASW attack at 58,40

Japanese Ships
PG Akitsu Maru
MSW W.38
MSW Wa 107
MSW Wa 106
MSW Wa 104
PC PC-79
PC Mokuto

Allied Ships
SS Lizardfish, hits 3, on fire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Combat

Running supplies between Tarakan and Mindanao and other minor PI islands. Dangerous task.

Day Air attack on TF at 40,62

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter Mk 21 x 5

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
AK Shirahama Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Beaufighter Mk 21 bombing at 2000 feet
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defense of the Home Islands

Managed to loose the screen I took.
Been working on the defenses of the Home Islands and divided it into zones.

1. In the west we have Formosa as a separate defensive zone. Andy can capture it if he dedicates enough resources
to it, but does he have time and motivation to? I'm looking for an Area Army to move to Formosa.

2. The Okinawas has an Area Army HQ and consists of Naha, Kadina and Amami.
Their capture is again possible, but costly.

3. The Home Islands themselves is divided into 4 zones;

a) Central Zone around Tokyo. Building up a reserve at Tokyo, currently at 1400 assault points. These and
troops from rear bases can reinforce the coastal bases quickly if invaded and provide at least 2000 AV.
Osaka has been assigned the Southern Area Army HQ and is a hub of its own. Slowly trickling troops into this base
as well. Can easily be reinforced from the Central and Western Zones. Some 5k AV at present.
b.) Shikoku is an island on its own without road connections to the Home Islands. Very annoying and difficult to defend.
Have diverted 2k AV of troops to defend the 2 bases and is moving in more supplies. Reinforcement is easy by air and sea though.
Should be able to move in another 1000-1500 AV if invaded.
c) Western Zone with the 2nd Area Army bases in Nagasaki. Strongly defended bases all over Kyushu. Not worried about
invasion here. Some 10k AV here.
d) Northern Zone under the Northern Area HQ in Hokkaido area stretching to include Omami. Strongly defended and I've reinforced
Omami. Not worried about invasion here either, but enemy has potential of cutting of Hokkaido from the mainland.
Some 10k AV in this area.

4. The Bonins is a well tested defensive zone. I have reduced number of troops here, but Iwo and Bonin Jima
are still well defended and supplied. Another all out effort will capture them though. Some 2500 AV here.

5. In the North East there is Sakhalin with its 3 bases. Defenses here are moderately strong.
The plan is to reinforce them by air and transports if an enemy invasion force is seen lumbering towards it.
We should get some warning. Some 1500 AV here.

The Marianas/Palaus has become a secondary theater now and I have reduced the garrisons to roughly 1 division
worth of troops. Can be captured, but still requires a major effort which I doubt Andy will divert.
When we get to 1946 I will most likely move half of the garrisons to other more threatened areas.
Some 1800 AV here.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4651
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/16/2008 8:31:42 PM   
PzB74

We look at the situation in India today!

Replaced captains aboard our remaining surface ships and assigned the best and most aggressive
captains remaining.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/18/45

Air Combat

The enemy units parked next to our bases turned out to be airborne troops
that have been dropped onto the railroad:

Day Air attack on 188th USA Glider Regiment, at 18,19

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 1000 feet
Suddenly 2 convoys appeared near Trivandrum and 13 Bettys attacked them.
70 avg exp wasn't enough to score hits.

Day Air attack on TF at 13,22

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 13

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 5 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Empire Johnson
DD Mullany
DE Martin
-------------------------------------------------------------------

India

Attachment (1)

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4652
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/16/2008 11:28:21 PM   
PzB74

Silence before the storm?
Never is this quiet, no B-29s, no nothing. So I think our time of peace and quiet is nearing the end.

Enemy ships moving north from Colombo - no idea were they're heading, Panay maybe.
A size 1 and quite useless base. I'm awaiting the situation.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/19/45

Air Combat

We ambushed the invaders over Taichu again and prevented them from dropping any bombs!
Lots of green Franks on LRCAP - they need ca 50 exp to become good.

Day Air attack on Taichu , at 49,43

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 7
N1K1-J George x 8
J7W Shinden x 22
Ki-84-Ic Frank x 30

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 11
F-5C Lightning x 3
A-26B Invader x 45

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 2 damaged
N1K1-J George: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
J7W Shinden: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-84-Ic Frank: 17 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 9 destroyed
A-26B Invader: 12 destroyed, 11 damaged
Day Air attack on 4th USMC Para Battalion, at 18,19

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
49 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 1000 feet

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
15 casualties reported

Home Islands Defensive Zones

Here is my thoughts for possible Allied invasion of the Home Island Perimeter.
I'm having some difficulties in how to distribute troops. Key bases need at least 1000 AP
while secondary bases that are not directly threatened can have less while I need a central
reserve that is distributed along 2-3 central locations from were it can quickly reinforce any
invasion.

I'm almost hoping Andy will go directly for the Home Islands - it's highly unrealistic based on
the lack of nearby enemy bases, but there is only time for one more major showdown before the game ends.
My conclusion is that one of these defensive zones will most likely be invaded:

1. Okinawas
2. Kyushu
3. Shikoku

If Okinawas are bypassed, then it is Kyushu or Shikoku.

The problem is that the fall of any Home Island base will provide a painful amount of enemy LBA fighters and
bombers and it is impossible to re-capture anything from Allied LCU in late war. On the other hand, any enemy invasion
will quickly be cut of and isolated and our Shindens will come to max use and I will be able to gather them for a major battle against enemy naval and 4E units. I will have to remove CAP from defense of industry, but enemy 4Es will also be busy me thinks.

I will also ready thousands of ac for kamikaze missions and move fighters and bombers from other theaters.
This will be the strategic reserve. I'm planning to hold back our best naval bombers for last. When everything
breaks down into utter chaos, I will release them and create havoc upon damaged and unprotected ships. This is when the remains
of the Combined fleet and our subs should sortie as well.

Comments? This is when I need good advice

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4653
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/17/2008 10:25:43 AM   
pauk

I think he will invade:

#1. Okinawa or
#2. Shikoku

Doubt that he will go for Kyushu. He is experienced and he will bypass your strong garnisons there and he does not like invade wooded or mountainous hexes. Also, he needs a good foot step in HI and that leaves Shikoku as most likely target (isolated island).

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4654
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/17/2008 11:05:03 AM   
tekk

I also think he'll invade Shikoku...immediatly...he is a bypasser and he doesn't need to invade Okinawa, by now he'll simply have to many transport ships to mass that he just won't have to invade Okinawa, it would only be a waste of time really, and obviously he's just been spending weeks and weeks conjuring strength for a gigantic thrust. I agree about Kyushu and he'd have to be mad to land directly on the central zone. But that's good cause now you can channel him more effectively. So it'll be Shikoku or Hokkaido next, guarantee ya.

I strongly suggest just taking that Amami garrison and using it on the mainland, in any case Amami would be immediatly overwhelmed and over-run, those troops would be of MUCH better use stacked with the HI units.

Hell, I would almost just abandon Okinawa and use all those island garrisons on the mainland, as any remote outpost will by now just be utterly defeated in a matter of days. Whereas if you use them on the mainland all you're doing reinforcing the one place where you could have a real chance of defeating the Allies. You'd turn a very strong fortress even stronger, instead of putting cracks units on hopeless islands where they will certainly be wasted and destroyed right away. You could add strength to the dragon on HI, and you should do that instead. Whichever islands he wants to hit are already lost and won't do anything except give you a few needless days before the HI invasion, he can take whatever he wants.

BTW how many CD units do you have on the mainland?

< Message edited by tekk -- 2/17/2008 11:13:35 AM >

Then it hit me so hard...like a perfect diamond shot me right in the forehead, the will to do something like that

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 4655
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/17/2008 4:42:18 PM   
PzB74

The problem Tekk/Pauk, is that Shikoku us another island outside the Home Island
It's difficult to reinforce it properly without tying up more troops.

So what I've done is to place some 1000 AV on the 3 islands just outside the Home Islands.
Then we have Naha and Kadina which also have 1200 AV each, but with mountain terrain they can rip
any assaulting army apart.

IF Andy bypass them they will have a lot of supplies and I will be able to launch interdiction
attacks on enemy supply lines.

You may be right about Amami, it's a bloody clear terrain hex, and an enemy assault here can only be
repulsed by tremendous sacrifice. There is currently 2500 AV here, and I also think it's a bit much.
I will consider moving, let's say 1500 AV back to the Home Islands and create a strong reserve including
the Imperial Guards Division. I have now released some China Area Army cavalry units, I will place them
in the Hiroshima area. From here they can either be air or sea lifter to Shikoku or moved quickly to either
Kyushu or to any other part of the Home Islands.

Currently I'm unloading a full Army regiment at Osaka, just brought in from Marianas and through enemy sub and carrier
blokade. A CD unit is also approaching the Home Islands in another TF. I'm considering to send it to Shikoku. No CD units there,
but I have a lot of base units with 5.5" guns.

Most of the major Jap Home Island bases are well defended by static coastal defense units. But certain major bases,
like Sasebo, 10/10, has non. So I'm also considering to send it here - alternatively I must strip Bonins of their
CD units to cover more ground. It's not possible to defend everything in strength, so a difficult decision may
have to be made soon. I can not let a size 9 or 10 base to fall into enemy hands, so these have to be well defended.

Also have this nagging fear of concentration too many troops on the Western part of the Home Islands,
so I'm moving some reinforcements to the Hokkaido/Tokyo area. No matter what I do it's like I'm robbing Peter
in order to pay Paul

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/20/45

Air Combat

There is a litter of small enemy units all around, what a mess!

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
31 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 1000 feet

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4656
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/17/2008 11:18:59 PM   
Naskra

Shikoku seems an unlikely target for AMac at this late a point in the war.  There is just not much time for him to reap the benefits of a foothold there.  The prize on Shikoku is Takamatsu, a base nearly surrounded by your strongpoints.  If you can still suppress an Allied airfield at this date, it will be Takamatsu.  I would expect something more climactic (and crowd-pleasing) as a last thrust. 
The Hokkaido zone I would also regard as secure.  Principally because any attack there would re-open the Manchurian truce issue, further muddying the game and the effort both of you have put into it.   Secondarily
because I doubt he can sufficiently project his strength that far.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4657
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 12:59:09 AM   
PzB74

This is also true Naskra. When I think about it any invasion against the Home Islands right now would be a folly.
Japan has not been suppressed enough yet. Before I would have invaded I would have made sure that factories and convoys
were bombed to pieces and secured Bonins/Okinawas as staging areas for bombers and ships.

Another issue; Andy will not be able to bombard the target area for more than a few turns before landing in order not
to show me were he's landing - because that would be game over.

I also doubt all of the Home Islands can be captured in a few months, and the Allies will have to overdo themselves to
achieve a draw. Loosing large number of casualties will not help towards this objective. So the only reason for invading
would be to invade just for the sake of invading.

Knowing Andy I'm still pretty certain he will commit, and it will become a bloody mess, one way or another

I've moved the super heavy 240mm artillery brigade to Osaka. A nice reinforcement.
Also started moving some troops from Amami back to the Home Islands, starting with the Imp division.
This is our best formation and it would be a shame to see it stuck on an island...
In real life it sat out the war somewhere in Sumatra me thinks. No such luck this time

The armored division in Nagasaki is also rebuilding nicely, over 100 tanks so far.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/21/45

Nigh Air Attacks

Not a lot of things that needs tweaking 'up' in stock, but night air attack is one example.
50 crack night fighter bombers and not a single hit...

Night Air attack on Ishieak , at 52,46

Japanese aircraft
J1N1-S Irving x 6
C6N1-S Myrt x 44

No Japanese losses

Air Combat

Enemy has moved into Madras and parked small LCUs all over the place to cut it of from
supplies and reinforcements. It's a city hex, so he'll have to struggle a bit anyhow.
Looks like the enemy convoy heading north from Colombo has disappeared? Another decoy?
I consider India as a secondary theater and is mostly in the process of moving air units
towards the Home Islands. Have 48 Shindens left that can do better work back home.

Of all 600+ Shindens the best unit has 77 exp while the least experienced is the one in India
with 44. All the rest lies between 50 and 75 - not bad, and now we have more than 1000 reserve
ac in the pools.

Day Air attack on Madras , at 18,21

Allied aircraft
TBM Avenger x 7
Beaufighter VIF x 19
P-38J Lightning x 4

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 25

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 37
Liberator VI x 32

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
Liberator VI: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 14
Runway hits 66

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Ground Attack

Thought I was attacking a strong battalion or regiment of enemy glider troops.
Was a bit disappointed when it was 70 men.... I have dropped paras in non base hexes before,
but then I drop as many men as I can or whole units. Everything I do Andy has a tendency of sending back 10 fold

Ground combat at 19,19

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 5346 troops, 65 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 111

Defending force 70 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8

Japanese max assault: 108 - adjusted assault: 108

Allied max defense: 6 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 108 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
---------------------------------------------------------------------

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 4658
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 2:02:35 AM   
Naskra

PzB, you and AndyMac have played an epic game thus far.  My hunch is that Andy will not disappoint the fans by doing anything cautious.  He will push to the limits.  Your defence line on the Home Islands can be cut at various
points, Maizuru, Hiroshima. etc.    The cordon from Nagasaki to Tokyo is where he will be looking.  Okiniwa, Amami, he can surely take, but he lacks time;  the points do matter, he will go for Home Island cities.  You
have many AV, but your experience value is low; he will come en masse and desperate.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4659
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 8:17:46 AM   
tekk

quote:

efore I would have invaded I would have made sure that factories and convoys
were bombed to pieces and secured Bonins/Okinawas as staging areas for bombers and ships.
Unless he just has one massive strike force and captures and holds a mainland base immediatly, which he could easily do and use that as a port then capture another base quickly.

http://home.att.net/~sallyann4/invasion3.html good read for anyone interested in the japanese plans of HI defense.

Then it hit me so hard...like a perfect diamond shot me right in the forehead, the will to do something like that

(in reply to Naskra)
Post #: 4660
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 6:44:08 PM   
PzB74

Andy asked me if I had moved Kwantung Area Army units from Manchukuo to the Home Islands, and
if I had done this would allow him to release Soviet units in order to transport them to their targets
in US ships....

Firstly, I have not released any Kwantung LCU, only aux units. The only units I've moved out of Kwantung
is the Southern Area Army units I sent there earlier. Still have 5500 AP in Harbin alone, so I have built
Kwantung, not reduced it. Secondly, sending Soviet units on US ships is to far fetched for me.

I'm continuing to shuffle troops and train air units.
Osaka and Tokyo are city hexes and requires only 750 AV - can bring in more if needed as it would take a long
time to reduce these bases. With 250 AS many Home Island bases, it should be interesting if Andy invaded.

Let's say Andy brings all his carriers, in all some 1500 fighters?
Then we have to shoot down and damage 75% of them in order to cripple him. I'd like to use all Shindens,
Reppus, Franks and Tonys for this and then send in our bombers and use the remaining fighters as escorts.

This must happen before any of our bases are captured. If we can manage this, the battle will be won!
Sounds like a good plan, yes?

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/22/45

Air Combat

Increased air attacks in India in preparation for the assault on Madras, even B-29s
have been brough int.

I'm just sitting back, ready to enjoy Andy's painful struggle to reduce another
city fortress!-)

Day Air attack on Bangalore , at 17,19

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 28

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 8
F-5C Lightning x 4
A-26B Invader x 45

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
58 casualties reported

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 70

Allied aircraft
TBM Avenger x 5
Beaufighter VIF x 20
P-38J Lightning x 3

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 9

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 33
Liberator VI x 31
B-29 Superfortress x 42

Allied aircraft losses
Liberator VI: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 140
Day Air attack on 2nd Tank Regiment, at 18,21

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 9
F6F Hellcat x 5
F4U-1D Corsair x 24
SB2C Helldiver x 5
TBM Avenger x 13

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3
Day Air attack on 133rd IJNAF Base Force, at 18,21

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 8
F6F Hellcat x 5
F4U-1D Corsair x 13
SB2C Helldiver x 5
TBM Avenger x 12

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 6
PB4Y Liberator x 7

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
4 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 16000 feet
3 x PB4Y Liberator bombing at 16000 feet

Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt II x 8
Liberator VI x 18
A-26B Invader x 4

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Day Air attack on 34th Ind.Mixed/B Brigade, at 18,21

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIC x 11
Mosquito FB.VI x 13

Allied aircraft losses
Mosquito FB.VI: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
6 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Beaufighter VIC bombing at 2000 feet
13 x Mosquito FB.VI bombing at 2000 feet
Day Air attack on 4th USMC Para Battalion, at 18,19

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x G4M2 Betty bombing at 1000 feet
Our Randys can't protect our supply ships at Tarakan!

Day Air attack on TF, near Tarakan at 33,61

Japanese aircraft
Ki-102a Randy x 16

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 13
Spitfire XIV x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-102a Randy: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
AK Takasan Maru, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4661
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 6:59:39 PM   
Nemo121

Ah let's try to predict where Andy will go.

My personal read is that we need to look at the psychology of the situation, not the strategic or operational situation. Psychologically Andy wants to "win" this game but feels he is up against serious deadlines. As such he is going to try to make his next invasion a "winning" one. So, will he land at Okinawa? No, he will hit the Home Islands, he feels under pressure to invade the Home Islands by the end of the year. Is this what he would do historically? No but it is what he will do in-game.

So, where on the Home Islands? Will he hit the Shikoku region? No. It doesn't give him that war-winning amphib landing he is looking for.

I would look to the Kyushu zone. Picture this... He lands his main force at Nagasaki seeking to capture it by coup de main whilst landing a secondary force at Sasebo. By doing this he blocks the flow of reinforcements to Nagasaki and uses the idiotic land combat rules to his advantage ( since he doesn't own Sasebo or Nagasaki the forces he lands at Sasebo will completely block the flow of Japanese reinforcements to Nagasaki and there's nothing you can do about it --- except to fly forces in... and his LRCAP will prevent that ).

Once he has taken Nagasaki ( which his concentrated bomber strikes on your ground forces there should help accomplish ) he can then move along a single route of advance pushing your forces back as he goes.

Do I think this is an imaginative or even great plan? No, but I would bet you a lot of money you are going to see a major landing at Nagasaki with a secondary, blocking force landing at Sasebo. It goes deep ( which Andy likes ) but not too deep ( which Andy now fears )... Most assuredly he isn't going to go for Okinawa at all.

So, what have you got at Nagasaki and how long can it survive in the face of 10 to 15,000 AV of Allied troops?

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4662
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 7:18:45 PM   
PzB74

Interesting scenario Nemo!
There are many options, but you do describe one likely one.

What about the road going from Kagoshima and up towards Hiroshima - is it impossible
to order units to go west and over to Nagasaki there?

Unfortunately only a few of the Jap bases are city or mountain hexes.
Shouldn't Nagasaki and Hiroshima be city hexes?

Currently there is about 1500 AV at Nagasaki, but I'm moving the Imp Division back from Amami.
Should boost it to 2000 soon. Sasebo and the other nearby bases have ca 1000 AV, not enough to
withstand a massive landing... If I could put 3000 AV at Nagasaki and then 1000 AV at most Kyushu
bases and add a reserve of 2000 AV in Hiroshima, we could move to reinforce either Kyushu or landings
at Shikoku. This would leave eastern Japan more vulnerable, but I doubt he will land here and we can
move a lot of AV relatively quickly.

I actually need to know my actual defensive strength:
What is the defensive value of my troops in Nagasaki have with 9 forts.

Let's say there are 1000 AV there to make it easy to re-calculate?
One Area Army will be there while the Southern Area Army and Home Defense HQ will be close
enough to provide support.

Can anyone provide the numbers for me I would be grateful.
To bad WitP doesn't display actual defensive values for a base.

And Nemo, I installed your latest mod and experiencing some crashes when clicking on the new
ship designs. What is the usual reason for this, did I put something in the wrong place?

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 4663
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 7:32:39 PM   
Nemo121

PzB,

I don't have the stock scenario on my computer anymore so I can't check to be 100% sure BUT if you look at your own screenshot at the top of the screen you will see that while you can get to Nagasaki from the east you will have to cross a river to do so. So your troops will have to shock attack when they cross that river and when you Shock Attack a force of 10 to 15 thousand battle-hardened Allied troops you'd better believe that the Shock Attacking force will simply be wiped out.

As to your defensive strength - It all depends on the terrain at Nagasaki and Sasebo ( i don't have the scenario so can't be sure what the terrain there is ) but, basically every 100 AV muster 600 AV even if it is a CLEAR hex. ( why? well if you have a HQ with Nagasaki as its planning target and 100% prep then the x 3 modifier for fort level will get a x2 modifier for preparation ).

So, if it is clear then you have a x 6 multipier but it it is wood or mountainous then you will get an additional x 3 modifier ( for a total of x 18 ). ALWAYS halve your maximum modifier to give you a margin of error and account for poor morale and experience effects.

So, here are the figures for 100 AV unadjusted assuming 100% prep but down-modified for low morale, experience etc.:
Clear -> 300 AV
Wood or mountain -> 900AV
Urban -? 1200 AV

PzB - If you email me telling me which ships crash your game I can send you their bitmaps... That's almost always the problem. I use the RHS artpack as a basis but it isn't exact so unless you are running off a base RHS install you are going to get a lot of crashes.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4664
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/18/2008 11:52:12 PM   
tekk

Shikoku is an isolated island, 2 ports right there on jap soil..isnt that the point? that would be a good reason to hit it. But yea now that I think about it he probably will go directly for Kyushu, a massive showdown, and in his mind a massive blow.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4665
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 12:46:45 AM   
tekk

Well good luck PzB! I have high confidence in your success of the upcoming battle, and I really think you will succeed. Are you moving in troops from China and such? I still think you might as well just move everything into the HI.

I'm reading the rest of this AAR so that'll be consuming my time on here.

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4666
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 1:09:59 AM   
PzB74

Another potential problem: If I reinforce Kyushu to strongly, Andy will notice this and simply land somewhere else
So, is it worth inviting an invasion in another area or only place moderate forces (ca 1200 AV on each base) here with a reserve at Hiroshima and further reserves towards Osaka and Tokyo? Using 3-400 transports I should be able to land some 4-500 AV before they're shot. Barges and transports should also manage to get in some reserves and I will march troops even cross rivers and face a shock attack only to land a couple hundred AV more.

I'm doing some tests, marching a unit from Kagoshima and will then try to cross the river to Nagasaki and
see how long it takes.

Also been checking out other defenses around Osaka - Nagoya - Tokyo - Sendai and Omami.
Osaka - Nagoya and Tokyo are all urban areas and ruled out as invasion zones. This leaves a couple of coastal
bases west of Tokyo. These can be quickly reinforced with 2000 AV. Sendai is mountain terrain and safe. Omami has
1200 AV and 9 forts and can be rapidly reinforced. Should be able to bring all these bases up to 1500-2000 AV, and with
9 forts they should be safe. Hokkaido is difficult terrain, both for friend and foe. Still gathered more than 3000 AV on
this island. Should be able to concentrate enough force here as well. Andy will have more space here, but I almost rule it
out as he will be completely out of range of his LBA. Same with Sakhalin, I'm considering moving some troops out from here.

You're talking 16k assault points? Can Andy transport this many in one wave?
Guess he would divide his troops in at least 2 waves with a backup force. I would expect some 8000 AV in the first wave that can be landed rather quickly, and then a follow up with another similar strike force after drawing of our reserves. So we have to watch our response carefully and neither over commit nor underestimate his strength.

Currently 1700 AV in Nagasaki, this is more than enough if Nemo got his math right, terrain is wooded. Our HQ is not 100% prepped, only 15...but hopefully we got some time. Also placing additional HQs and working hard to strengthen all bases in the area.
There are more than a dozen 250+ AS bases and another 8 medium sized bases to support our AF.

Currently we got 2900 fighters on the map, 1029 level bombers and 570 torpedo and dive bombers.
Some 3700 in total. Then there are some 550 float planes and night fighters. The pools holds some 6000 odd ac.

Let's say I can deploy 2000 first line fighters to counter an enemy invasion, the rest will be escorts, kamis and CAP fighters.
The 1000 level bombers will be held in reserve while we send in the SBD/TBDs and kamis.

I will look up the ships tomorrow Nemo. I remember checking the new MLs and patrol crafts when crashing.
Thanx for the maths on defensive values.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/23/45

Sub/ASW Attacks

Sub attack at 65,45

Japanese Ships
AP Mikage Maru #2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
SS Carbonero

Air Combat

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 8
F-5C Lightning x 3
A-26B Invader x 43

Allied aircraft losses
A-26B Invader: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
59 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 67
Placed LR CAP over Madras and it all began pretty badly when 19 Corsairs swept 13 fighters away.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 9
Ki-100 Tony x 11

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 19

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 8 destroyed
Ki-100 Tony: 5 destroyed
Then we got payback as the lightly escorted bombers streamed in!
We shot down some 20+ enemy fighters in these raids and lost another 14.

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 5
Ki-100 Tony x 4

Allied aircraft
TBM Avenger x 6
Beaufighter VIF x 19
P-38J Lightning x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
TBM Avenger: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
Beaufighter VIF: 2 destroyed, 4 damaged

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 4

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 3
Ki-100 Tony x 2

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 28
Liberator VI x 30
B-29 Superfortress x 67

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-100 Tony: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Liberator VI: 1 damaged
B-29 Superfortress: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
64 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 148
Day Air attack on 2nd Tank Regiment, at 18,21

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 7

Allied aircraft
F6F Hellcat x 26

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
F6F Hellcat: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
67 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 7

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 36
F6F Hellcat x 13
SB2C Helldiver x 11
TBM Avenger x 28

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
FM-2 Wildcat: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
F6F Hellcat: 2 damaged
SB2C Helldiver: 2 destroyed, 2 damaged
TBM Avenger: 6 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 3

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 11
PB4Y Liberator x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 7 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 1

Allied aircraft
Thunderbolt II x 7
Liberator VI x 26
Mosquito FB.VI x 40
A-26B Invader x 8

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Mosquito FB.VI: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
45 casualties reported

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 1

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIC x 13
Mosquito FB.VI x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Mosquito FB.VI: 2 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Ground Combat

So, can our 300 AV repulse 2500 in a city hex with 9 forts?

Ground combat at Madras

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 82596 troops, 805 guns, 64 vehicles, Assault Value = 2480

Defending force 15436 troops, 159 guns, 136 vehicles, Assault Value = 314

Japanese ground losses:
116 casualties reported
Guns lost 2
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
21 casualties reported
Guns lost 4
Enemy glider troops are beaten 163-1 but remains in place....

Ground combat at Bangalore

Attacking force 7106 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 145

Defending force 2020 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 45

Japanese max assault: 149 - adjusted assault: 163

Allied max defense: 28 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 163 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
255 casualties reported
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madras

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4667
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 1:13:21 AM   
PzB74

Thanx Tekk, hope you're right
I can't afford to release many troops from China, not many political points. Will soon release another Cavalry Div.
Comes at some 300 pp that can be added to the quick reaction force. Checked troops in Kwantung: 5800 AV in Harbin alone and
a further 3000 AV in other bases.

...good luck with reading all the pages, the first years saw many long and straight combat texts...hopefully quality
increased a bit over time!-)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4668
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 2:24:06 AM   
Nemo121

1700 AV x 0.5 ( modifier for low experience, morale and disruption ) x 3 ( for woods ) x 3 ( for forts ) x 1.15 ( preparation ) = 8,500 AV adjusted.  Note, if your preparation reached 100% then your adjusted AV would be about 15,000. So, keep getting those prep points higher and consider adding a regional HQ ( one with a command radius greater than 1 ) to prep for Nagasaki to get the preparation bonuses as quickly as possible.

As to the Allied forces... Well in reality the Allies were going to hit Japan with 15 divisions. Figure that each division masses 500 AV and then double that because Andy is really going to mass everything for this assault. Troops which had been tied up in garrison duty in the Phillipines, Java and Pacific islands are all going to be deployed here in the invasion. Again 15,000 is a worst case scenario but if you can defeat that then you can defeat anything. Personally, if I were Andy, I'd drop a small amount of AV 1000 to 2,000 ( he doesn't need to land more than 1 division as a blocking force but Andy doesn't min/max so he'll land more than that, I figure a minimum of 3 divisions which would give a landing strength of 1,500 AV ) at Sasebo and drop the remaining 13 to 14,000 at Nagasaki in order to get a quick victory and a base to repair my disablements at before pushing up the road to reinforce my blocking force at Sasebo.

I wouldn't worry about making Nagasaki too strong. So long as you don't have too many units there you shouldn't spook him too much. After all he HAS to come ashore somewhere. Hell you should be happy if he doesn't come in at Nagasaki as that'd be a fairly good place for him to come ashore at. I think though that if Andy has analysed things properly he is going to try to come in at the end of a long rail line which he can block just proximal to his landing. Coming in elsewhere just allows you to reinforce overland too quickly and coming ashore at Shikoku just doesn't give him the "victory" he so craves.

I think the key is that while you must bear military issues in mind in determining what Andy will do you should also remember that much of his decision-making is driven by psychological imperatives which aren't based in rational military analysis.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4669
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 2:29:18 AM   
tekk

It's gotta be Nagasaki if he hits Kyushu, it just has to be. I'd also make sure to position CD units there

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4670
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 12:56:22 PM   
Nemo121

One thing though --- Use largeish units but few of them at Nagasaki. He is going to get good unit counts so if you stack it with 3 Divisions and 20 engineer, AAA etc units then he isn't going to land there.

Remember, if you manage to put in 6 full divisions, 1 HQ and 3 CD units then you are going to have 10 units in the hex ( not too much ) yet you are still going to mass your 2,000 AV easily.

(in reply to tekk)
Post #: 4671
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 6:09:29 PM   
PzB74

That is a good idea Nemo, a bit difficult to move too many units out of Nagasaki.
Got 3 HQs - Area Army, Air and Fleet. There are 4 AA units, 5 Base Force Units, a fixed fort,
as well as the larger LCUs. I will move the fragments out though and try to fill up weaker bases with large number
of units to cast of enemy intel! Can leave 2 large divs and a tank div that will make up the bulk of the defenses.

I'm also having many divisions that have been split - it is possible to rebuild them, but then I will loose preparation points.
Most units are at 100 and I would hate to undo it.

So when you think he will strike?
My best guess is early November, can't be far away....

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/24/45

Bombardments

Andy has sent quite a few ships to India.

Naval bombardment of Madras, at 18,21

Allied Ships
DD Spence
DD Picking
DD Black
DD Charles Badger
DD Taussig
CL Santa Fe
CL Montpelier
CL Gambia
BB Colorado

Japanese ground losses:
83 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Naval bombardment of Madras, at 18,21

Allied Ships
DD O'Bannon
DD Marshall
DD Evans
DD Heywood Edwards
DD Eaton
CA Shropshire

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 16
Port hits 5
Port supply hits 1

Air Combat

Mostly action around Madras today:

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 8

Allied aircraft
SB2C Helldiver x 6
B-29 Superfortress x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C Helldiver: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-29 Superfortress: 3 damaged

Airbase hits 3
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 65
Day Air attack on 1st Aus Army Tank Battalion, at 18,20

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 7

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 1
Day Air attack on 188th USA Glider Regiment, at 17,19

Japanese aircraft
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Day Air attack on TF, near Mannargudi at 16,23

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Logan Victory
AK Mt. Holyoke Victory, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage *sinks*

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 7

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 1 destroyed

Ground Combat

Andy brought a sizable army to Madras and achieved a 2-1 odds in first attack.
We're too exposed to air and sea bombardments and I don't want to sacrifice too many
troops, they're needed to defend Karachi/Bombay. Will be sad to loose a size 9/9 base though.

Ground combat at Madras

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 95185 troops, 824 guns, 590 vehicles, Assault Value = 2786

Defending force 15408 troops, 161 guns, 137 vehicles, Assault Value = 317

Allied max assault: 4728 - adjusted assault: 3024

Japanese max defense: 244 - adjusted defense: 1477

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 9)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 7

Japanese ground losses:
1558 casualties reported
Guns lost 33
Vehicles lost 44

Allied ground losses:
1713 casualties reported
Guns lost 67
Vehicles lost 1
Enemy suicide glider troops are hanging on, but another regiment mopping up from the east
will arrive shortly and finish them off.

Attacking force 7112 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 145

Defending force 1630 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 20

Japanese max assault: 154 - adjusted assault: 79

Allied max defense: 11 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 79 to 1

Allied ground losses:
112 casualties reported
Ground combat at 18,19

Attacking force 5309 troops, 65 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 110

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese max assault: 106 - adjusted assault: 55

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 55 to 1

Allied ground losses:
50 casualties reported
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madras

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 4672
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 6:21:08 PM   
Nemo121

Well, to be honest, I don't see what good the Base Forces and Fleet HQ do there. By removing them you can cut your unit count by 6 units. Move them to Sasebo and you make Sasebo look artificially stronger while, actually, Nagasaki will be stronger. If this is all wrong and he lands somewhere else then all of those units can be back in Nagasaki on D+1.

Remember you can't actively force him to land where you want because he has the initiative and freedom of movement BUT you can passively shape the battlefield to make certain of his options more attractive.

If it were me I'd remove the Fleet HQ and the Base Forces. I'd also remove the AAA units. That would buy you a reduction of 10 units. In turn I'd bring in a couple of additional divisions. Two divisions will MORE than replace the AAA power of those Base Forces and AAA units and it'll look a damn sight less threatening to enemy pre-invasion recon. You don't want him to land on Shikoku so I'd task a single floatplane/transport unit to each of the two bases in Shikoku to fly in a fragment of a BF or AAA unit per turn. In two weeks you can have an additional 14 fragments in each of those bases and when he conducts pre-invasion recon he will see the 5 or 6 units you currently have there PLUS 14 fragments. End result each of those Shikoku bases should have double the number of units as Nagasaki and should look highly unattractive as a landing spot.

Again, you can't actively shape the battlefield but there's a lot you can do passively. As to the gamesmanship of the above strategy. Well, in real life you'd do this with a complicated signals maskirovka but you can't set that up in this game so this fragment-flying thing is the best you can do.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4673
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 10:56:04 PM   
Rainerle

Don't forget to protect Gumma against paradrops.

Image brought to you by courtesy of Subchaser!

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 4674
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 11:42:51 PM   
Nemo121

LOL! If he doesn't have enough at Gumma to protect against paradrops then he really should seppuku.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 4675
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/19/2008 11:57:33 PM   
AcePylut

Ground combat at 18,19

Attacking force 5309 troops, 65 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 110

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese max assault: 106 - adjusted assault: 55

Allied max defense: 0 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 55 to 1

Allied ground losses:
50 casualties reported

-----

Kinda don't understand this. How do the allies lose 50 soldiers at a base that has zero soldiers, and the japs not capture the base?

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 4676
RE: Mustangs vs Shindens - 2/20/2008 1:09:27 AM   
PzB74

The problem with rotating our large Base Force units is that they contain so many guns and squads.
Probably equal to a division worth of troops which I'm hard pressed to replace. They also have 100 PP and I
wish to keep 250 AV for my AF.

Idea behind fragments I can understand, not entirely my style though.
Another approach would be to place 20+ smaller and larger units in ALL important bases.
Me thinks this is doable, already have a lot of fragments that have been evacuated from outer perimeter bases.

Let's see how much time we have before Andy comes out to play and do what we can to finish our preparations.
Gumma is defended by an old Samurai with a sword, more than enough

The 50 enemy troops lost was a couple of disabled glider squads that landed in a non base hex east of Hyderabad.
When we overrun them they had nothing to fight with and all the 50 wounded troops were captured
A unit with 0(100) squads will show as 0 ground troops, but the surrender casualty number will consist of 100 squads
worth of troops.

Todays turn came in to late, on my way to bed.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 4677
Madras falls - 2/20/2008 8:31:22 PM   
PzB74

Madras fell today, more than 100k enemy troops and a tank army was
more than the local garrison could withstand.

Thanks to some heroic efforts of the 14th Tank Regiment (99 exp / 95 morale) more than
12000 men managed to retreat towards Hyderabad! An enemy tank regiment with 100 tanks
was defeated decisively

This was a really heroic effort, quite touching
1000 airborne glider troops were also eliminated in Hyderabad.

Near the Home Island we're awaiting an invasion anytime. More enemy carriers observed south
of Bonins. Guess these are the last reinforcements from the West Coast and Pearl. Probably
patched up in a hurry.

Partially followed Nemos advice, moving Naval HQ and AA units out of Nagasaki and will fill up as
many bases with units as possible. No enemy recon except over Kadina.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/25/45

Air Combat

Got some good Betty drivers left in India!

Day Air attack on TF, near Mannargudi at 16,23

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AK Sculptor, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Cape Faro, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
19 casualties reported

Ground Combat

Ground combat at 18,20

Attacking force 2427 troops, 0 guns, 161 vehicles, Assault Value = 98

Defending force 2248 troops, 0 guns, 108 vehicles, Assault Value = 57

Japanese max assault: 105 - adjusted assault: 448

Allied max defense: 54 - adjusted defense: 23

Japanese assault odds: 19 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
10 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 3

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!
Ground combat at Madras

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 103341 troops, 873 guns, 590 vehicles, Assault Value = 2593

Defending force 13458 troops, 116 guns, 88 vehicles, Assault Value = 243

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 6

Allied max assault: 4736 - adjusted assault: 3101

Japanese max defense: 158 - adjusted defense: 265

Allied assault odds: 11 to 1 (fort level 6)

Allied forces CAPTURE Madras base !!!

Japanese ground losses:
975 casualties reported
Guns lost 40
Vehicles lost 18

Allied ground losses:
1015 casualties reported
Guns lost 30
Vehicles lost 7

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 7163 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 148

Defending force 1360 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Japanese max assault: 318 - adjusted assault: 352

Allied max defense: 7 - adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 352 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
2 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
1102 casualties reported
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Madras falls

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4678
RE: Madras falls - 2/22/2008 6:50:13 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

PzB on page 2 ! not allowed

Bump

HI should be one heck of a showdown , really looking forward to it GL maestro.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 4679
RE: Madras falls - 2/25/2008 11:52:00 PM   
PzB74

Thx Rob! Had a weekend back in my home town as wife is away. Beers, taco and good movies
Been thinking over the defensive plans and I think we're well on our way.

Will continue to strengthen all threatened bases in Home Island. Struggling to locate another CD unit - have to rob the one on Iwo. Doubt Andy will leap from Bonin though.

I'm almost positive that Andy doesn't want to invade a mountain hex or city base hex and will go for a clear terrain hex. So I think we can move some troops out of our mountain bases.

On the other side of the map: the large amounts of troops in Madras, B-29s and other ac plus all the ships I've seen moving west has convinced me that Andy is getting greedy. He wants India back!! So let's see what can be done - I'm fighting a rear guard action while moving reserves to the threatened areas.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 10/26/45

Air Combat

Bangalor is next on the list!

Day Air attack on Bangalore , at 17,19

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-29 Superfortress x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-51 Sonia: 4 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 61
More Mustangs than bomber this time and we suffered but still managed to bring down some!

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Reppu x 8
N1K1-J George x 8
J7W Shinden x 10
Ki-84-Ic Frank x 16
Ki-100 Tony x 7

Allied aircraft
F-5C Lightning x 3
P-51D Mustang x 44
A-26B Invader x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Reppu: 3 destroyed, 2 damaged
N1K1-J George: 10 destroyed
J7W Shinden: 8 destroyed
Ki-84-Ic Frank: 7 destroyed, 2 damaged
Ki-100 Tony: 11 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 13 destroyed, 5 damaged
A-26B Invader: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
22 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 17
Enemy air power in India:

Day Air attack on 34th Ind.Mixed/B Brigade, at 18,20

Allied aircraft
FM-2 Wildcat x 33
F6F Hellcat x 68
F4U-1D Corsair x 42
SB2C Helldiver x 8
TBM Avenger x 31

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
270 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Allied aircraft
Liberator VI x 25
Mosquito FB.VI x 39
A-26B Invader x 9

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied aircraft
Liberator VI x 29
Beaufighter VIC x 13
Mosquito FB.VI x 13

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
176 casualties reported
Guns lost 1
Then we manage to sneak some Bettys into an enemy convoy and cause some carnage!

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 9 damaged

Allied Ships
AK Avery Island, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Sterope, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AO Suamico, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
AK Shaula

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
AK San Bernadino
AK Zachary Taylor
AK Alexander Woolcott, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Ground Combat

Enemy pursuit south of Bengalore!

Ground combat at 18,20

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 10408 troops, 0 guns, 523 vehicles, Assault Value = 326

Defending force 9070 troops, 26 guns, 174 vehicles, Assault Value = 204

Allied max assault: 526 - adjusted assault: 484

Japanese max defense: 164 - adjusted defense: 29

Allied assault odds: 16 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
2446 casualties reported
Guns lost 4
Vehicles lost 54

Allied ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Vehicles lost 4

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment (1)

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 4680
Page:   <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Mustangs vs Shindens Page: <<   < prev  154 155 [156] 157 158   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI