Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial: Game 1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Tutorial: Game 1 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/13/2008 5:00:09 AM   
Jimmer

This will be a 3-month game with VERY contrived house rules. It is designed just to learn the interface, not to compete.

The only wars we will allow will be between a major power and a minor country.

I'm going to turn off some of the more "advanced" rules, so we can just start playing. For example, there's an option to have movements cost double in winter. That will be off (although, PAYING for supply in winter will still cost double -- can't do anything about that. I'll list the "off" options in a separate post.

Typically, in a real game, you wouldn't want to bankrupt yourself in the first 1-2 months; instead, you would make sure you save enough for all three months. However, this is a fake game, and I want to show how foraging works, too. So, spend all you want in the first month or two, just to see what it does to your ability to fight a war (even against a minor).

Let's use the bidding program again. This time, they'll be "real", or as real as can be in a contrived game. Bid like you think you would in a real game, anyhow. Post the bids up on the group again. If seven bids show up, we'll have seven. Otherwise, I'll bid 30 for France. The rest of you, please bid lower for France than 30 (even 29, if you really want it), so that if there are only six, I'm playing France. It's the hardest nation to play, simply because of the vast numbers of factors floating around, if nothing else. I already have some French setup files, so that takes a load off of startup.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/13/2008 5:04:44 AM   
Jimmer

Options:

The only options that will be "Enabled" are:

Guard commitment (does not affect GB, Spain, or Turkey).
Allow option changes during game.
PBEM-hotseat passwords. This is to match the GAP, plus so you know how it works in a real game.
Economic manipulation. I'll explain later, but I want you to be able to see the interface in March.
Leader casualties. I'm hoping somebody has a leader injured or killed, so you can see what happens.
Show possible moves
Political shading
Map scroll delay = 5
Always show ranges
Music
Sound effects

All others are disabled.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 1:45:08 AM   
Sokar99

Uploaded.....mwuahahahahaa.....sorry...it was that kind of day :).

Sokar

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 8:44:08 AM   
timewalker03

bids uploaded

(in reply to Sokar99)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 9:11:28 AM   
Jimmer

Four of them are up. Waiting on the other three.

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 3:33:38 PM   
ess1

Thanks Jimmer.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 9:29:20 PM   
napoleon1066

I can't wait to use up all my money, and then march my entire army into a swamp with a forage of zero.  I want to set the record for most factors lost without combat in a single turn.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest!

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 9:41:50 PM   
AresMars

quote:

ORIGINAL:  napoleon1066
I can't wait to use up all my money, and then march my entire army into a swamp with a forage of zero.  I want to set the record for most factors lost without combat in a single turn.

napoleon1066, use your navy transporting troops - It is much faster and you get to add ships lost to your record if you are at war with the British!

NOTE: I am not speaking from experience....

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 11:08:39 PM   
Jimmer

Oh, I don't know. 15 Russian corps foraging at -4 each could add up to a pretty substantial pile. Actually, I don't think Russia would even have enough troops (at the beginning of the game) to be able to actually lose all the factors.

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/14/2008 11:48:04 PM   
napoleon1066

What if I made all the corps really small... like 4 or 5 factors? Then the modifiers would just kill me.

Note to self... load entire army onto Spanish Fleet... invade England solo.  Leave surviving ship in port with no garrison.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest!

(in reply to AresMars)
Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/15/2008 3:45:55 AM   
Jimmer

Sokar99,

What happened to your bid file? It was up there, and now it's gone.

Also, where are the other three guys?

(in reply to napoleon1066)
Post #: 11
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/15/2008 3:52:30 AM   
Sokar99

Hi,

It is still there. Name is Tutorial1_Sokar.bid.

Sokar

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/15/2008 7:10:45 AM   
Jimmer

Hmmm. Now it's back. Crazy.

(in reply to Sokar99)
Post #: 13
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/15/2008 4:03:51 PM   
bjresq

My bid is up. However, I am away for weekend.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/15/2008 5:22:38 PM   
Jimmer

OK, bjresq. I'll include yours. At the speed this is currently progressing, it'll be Monday before anything happens anyhow.

However, I won't hold up things over the weekend. I'll try to catch you up after you get back.

(in reply to bjresq)
Post #: 15
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/16/2008 6:06:58 PM   
Jimmer

OK, looks like we might have trouble getting all the bids in "on time". But, while we are doing that, let me introduce you to "setup".

Setup can (and should) be done indepedently of all other pieces of the big picture. Plus, you can save setups to file, so you can have them ready to go at a moment's notice.

To start this part of the learning process, start a new game against the computer (all easy AI -- we won't actually be playing much). Play as Great Britain. I've chosen Great Britain because she is the easiest to set up on land, and, against the computer, pretty easy at sea, too.

NOTE: To choose easy AI, double-click the line for Great Britain on the screen you get after you click "New Game". Double-clicking a nation causes all of the others to become AIs at some level (easy, med, hard). To cycle through them, just double-click again.

When you start, you'll notice that some of the nations have already set themselves up. In fact, ALL of them have finished set up. GB goes last (see 5.3 on pg 25). As a result of that, and the fact that GB starts with only 2 dozen land factors, setup is easy. Also, make sure you have chosen the option to have GB and France be at war.

But, before tailoring a setup for yourself, first load the computer's default setup. We'll analyze the AI's setup and see what needs to be changed.

To load a setup file, look towards the bottom of the interface window, left side, and you'll see a whole pile of buttons (9, on my screen). The two right-most ones in the top row are for loading and saving setups. Click the far right one (hover box: load a saved setup). This will bring up the "Load Saved Setup" window. Unless you have done this before, there will be only one file in here: Grgrandcampaign_default.set. Click it and click Open (or, simply double-click).

Now, the first thing a seasoned player would notice is that GB is NOT blockading French ports. Before you scream "Idiot AI", remember that this program doesn't have a way built in to blockade during setup. So, it uses its privilege of going first to use that first move to blockade. Don't worry about it; it works.

But, we're not here to discuss game play. Just setup. So, lets say you see the fleet in Malta and wonder what on earth you will be using that for. Certainly nothing over there. So, click it (it's the III fleet). We can't move (using land or sea movement), but we CAN set a new starting position. So, scroll the screen up to GB, and double-click London. As if by magic, the III fleet appears in London.

This is one way you can re-setup something you decide is in the wrong place. Another way is to simply eliminate it and start over. So, click that same III fleet (now in London), and look at those buttons on the lower-left. The middle top one is "Remove Counter From Map". It has a gold X on it. Click it. You'll get a confirmation window; Click yes.

Now, the fleet is gone. Oops. No, not really. It's just back in your reinformcement pool. But, don't put it back yet. I did that to illustrate a couple of other principles.

First, the way you can see how many factors you have left to place is to click on any of Great Britain's home nation areas (say, Cardiff). Now, look ABOVE those buttons in the lower left, and above the brown area as well. Above this is a status-type window, and it says "10l". That last character is an "L", not a 1 or i. 10l signifies that you have 10 Light ships left to place (that's what was in the III fleet).

Then, click the fifth button from the left in the top left corner of the screen. This is the "View Available Counters" screen. Scan across, and you'll see you have the III fleet ready to go (a green border indicates it can be placed at this time -- having a green border becomes a lot more important later, during future reinforcement steps).

Anyhow, let's say you don't like the number 3, and you really wanted TWO fleets, not one. So, click the VII light fleet. Notice that it turns red. This indicates that you have selected it. At this point, we COULD place the fleet counter by right-clicking the gray area and then clicking on any area that GB owns. However, you wanted TWO fleets. So, instead of right-clicking, click the VIII fleet as well. Now both VII and VIII are red. Right-click the gray area again. Then, click on Dublin (in Ireland). Both fleets show up there.

Click one of the fleets (VIII). In the Selected Unit Info area (bottom of the interface window, just to the left of the middle), you'll see the VIII light fleet is present. It tells you the movement and morale and how many factors are in it (0/10, or 0 of 10). Well, you want some factors in this. So, in the lower left box of buttons again, click the top left button. This is the Add Forces to Unit button, and brings up a dialog box. Here, you can move factors into the fleet from the Reinforcement pool. (Later, in reinforcement steps, you can transfer between units, etc.) Put 2 ships into the VIII counter, and then click OK.

Now, click the "End Phase" button (second from left, top row of the screen). You get a warning to "Add forces or remove unit", in the gray box above those 9 buttons. It's in red so you can tell it's a problem.

So, you slap your forehead and say, "Yes, I forgot I used two fleets. Let me remove one." So, go back to Dublin and select the other fleet (VII). It won't be on top, so you'll have to click it in the "Select Area Info" box (just to the right of center in the bottom of the main interface), in the brown portion of that box. Now, pretend you have forgotten the 8 ships you haven't placed yet: Click the "Remove Counter from map" button. Click Yes to the confirmation dialog.

Now, click the "End Phase" button again. Oops, another error. This time, it says "Must place all forces at setup." This is VERY common to see, even for veterans, during setup. I'm always forgetting things and trying to move too fast.

Well, we want to know what's still off-map, so click some area of GB again (if one is already highlighted, click a different one). There we see it: 8l (8L); 8 light ships.

So, go back and choose another light fleet, put it on the map, and then put the final 8 factors into it.

But, THIS time, do NOT click the "End Phase" button. Instead, click the "Save Current Forces Setup" (right next to the Load a Saved Setup button we used at the beginning). Pick a name OTHER than the default one, and save your setup.

While we didn't really do much, we DID illustrate most of the principles. I used all light ships and fleets for this, but you could just as easily have done it with other factors and counters. As an exercise, move all of your fleets except one to the blockade box of Brest, where the French navy is. Once you are there, "notice" that you have forgotten about Holland's fleet, and move some forces there instead. The one fleet you left out of Brest originally should go to the Channel.

NOTE: This is NOT an ideal setup. It's just for learning. So, feel free to overwrite the file.

Repeat this process with each of the other nations (a new game for each, or play with all humans at the start screen).

Get one setup file ready to go for the nation you end up playing. Since you don't know which nation that will be, set one up for each nation.

We won't be going to war with each other. So, set up your forces on your borders somewhere where you have access to a couple of minor neutral countries. Russia and Turkey are the only tricky ones, as they don't have many. For Russia, target Sweden/Finland and Chechnya. Turkey, target Egypt and Georgia.

For France don't go for Modena (the Austrians might need it) and don't go east of Hanover. Spain should target Portugal and Morocco. Prussia target Mecklenburg and Lausitz. Austria, target Bavaria and Romagna.

Leave plenty of room for the other players; go for targets that only you can target. And, remember, you don't know yet which nation you will be playing, so do a setup for each nation.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 16
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/17/2008 3:33:54 PM   
bresh

I dont get why you would want Prussia to break the alliance with the minor, Lausitz ?

But guess its to show breaking alliance not to good :) Anyway its a tutorial.

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 2/17/2008 3:34:22 PM >

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 17
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/17/2008 11:42:17 PM   
Jimmer

Actually, you are correct. But in this part of the tutorial, I'm ONLY working on battle mechanics and that kind of thing. You are quite correct, however: In a real game, one would never do that.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 18
Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/19/2008 3:32:51 AM   
bjresq

Gents,

I am back and ready to go.

Barry

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/21/2008 5:19:18 PM   
Jimmer

There are still two bids missing. If they don't come in by 10 PM CST tonight (4:00 AM GMT), those two players will be dropped, and other players will be allowed to take their place.

(in reply to bjresq)
Post #: 20
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/22/2008 8:04:51 AM   
Jimmer

OK, we never got bids from two of the players, so I faked one each for GB and France (I just bid 30 for each). Don't worry about why I picked those quite yet.

Nobody is at war. Check the options, but one important one is that winter land movement is turned off.

Decide on 2-3 minors you would like to test your armies against. If ANY other major power can reach them with factors, email that person first. We don't want any major power wars in this sample game.

Then, do setup. Make sure you set your factors up such that you can reach your target minors.

Neither France nor GB will declare war on anything, so don't worry about those two nations.

I'll write another cover letter when the diplomacy phase comes up. There are two special things I want everybody to do then.

Jim

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 21
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/22/2008 8:24:31 AM   
Jimmer

Oh, and I forgot something about setup: It's easy to not get all your troops placed.

So, first thing to do: Set up one factor somewhere, and then hit the "End Phase" button. Get used to this error message, because it means you aren't done setting up yet.

Acknowledge the message, and then click on any area in your home nation that isn't already selected. Then, check the status window for the list of troops you have yet to place. The status window is just above the scrolling log entries. It's on the far left side, towards the bottom. It's above those phase-specific buttons, and above the log that's just above the buttons. In here, you will see a list of numbers and letters.

Since Russia goes first, I'll use her as the example:

I asked you to place one factor. So, the remaining factors will be (page 25, near the bottom) 5 guard, 75 infantry, 10 cavalry, 3 cossacks, 28 heavy ships, 7 light ships, and 10 transports. The way the interface lists them is

5g,75i,10c,28h,7l,10t

Note that

1) I did not place a factor, so mine still says 75i, and
2) The cossacks are missing. I believe this is because you are not required to place them during setup (although, why someone would skip them is beyond me).

So, our Russian player will see

5g,74i,10c,28h,7l,10t

where the red circle is on the attached picture.

Whenever you see the message I had you purposely invoke above, check this box for what you have forgotten to set up.

If you have a free state, there will be a similar set of numbers following your major power numbers, but preceded by the string

(FS)

. You'll get the same message if you fail to set those up as well. If you click instead on an area inside the free-state's borders, you'll just see the numbers for that free state.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 22
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/22/2008 8:04:28 PM   
Murat

I have a sample setup for each nation here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1641897 if anyone wants to see some. After you save them start a new game of your own with all human players and you can load each country's setup using the load setup button (last button, top row) just to see some placements.  It may help you to think about what to put where.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 23
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/22/2008 8:50:32 PM   
Jimmer

Excellent addition, Murat! Thanks a bunch!

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 24
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/27/2008 7:08:53 PM   
ess1

I fear the tardiness in just the setting up (for goodness sake) is going to put many off of pbem'ing.
For myself, nearer four-score than three-score and ten , the prospect of ever finishing a game would require a select band of players I feel.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 25
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/27/2008 9:01:40 PM   
Jimmer

I agree, ess1. However, I've found that real games seem to have a lot less of this. This is mainly because the host has the threat of letting the AI run the turn hanging over the head of any procrastinators. Unfortunately, I really can't do that, because the AI will likely declare war on somebody.

However, I think I'm going to run his turn for him anyhow, manually, just to get things going. I never intended to take this long for this.

I sent him a letter last night asking for his setup. If I don't get a reply before I get home from work, I'll manually run his setup for him (which may mean I'll be running three countries -- I don't have a problem with that).

(in reply to ess1)
Post #: 26
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/27/2008 11:53:19 PM   
timewalker03

Just for FYI I was having a problem and getting Player out of turn message when I tried to upload the Russian setup. I tried everything for 2 days to fix it then got the brilliant idea of deleting both Turkey's and Russias setup files and downloading them again. I did this last night after Jimmer's email and got the thing to work. I did my turn last night and uploaded it . Sorry for taking so long, but I wanted to figure out myself what to do before asking for help so if in the future I have this problem if I am hosting then I can help solve the issue. Sorry once again for taking so long.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 27
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/28/2008 3:55:34 AM   
Jimmer

It's probably a good thing to ask. I'm a pretty good teacher; I don't let people just read the answer. Instead, I walk them through the steps to learn how to do it. More like a guide than anything else.

For the rest of you, I don't really know what happened to him. All he should have needed to take his (Austrian) turn would be the saved game file and both Russia and Turkey's setup files. It would have been instructive, I suspect, to look at the files side-by-side and see if something got changed.

Anyhow, Prussia is next!

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 28
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 2/29/2008 2:29:36 AM   
Jimmer

We can still play out the three months, since there not going to be any major power wars. If someone else joins, I'll just have them pick up wherever we happen to be.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 29
RE: Tutorial: Game 1 - 3/6/2008 5:48:34 AM   
SoulBlazer

I realize this is full, but please keep me in mind in case you need a backup.  I posted my e-mail in the other Tutorial game area.  This sounds like a great idea for us new players to help learn the game and bless you for doing it. :)

The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Tutorial: Game 1 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI