Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BoB and Direct x

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory >> Tech Support >> BoB and Direct x Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BoB and Direct x - 2/16/2008 10:00:14 PM   
87Ranger

I downloaded BoB and everything looked great, go to menu, game doesn't run. I run quick start and it says I'm missing a dll file. Sure enough, I check my version of Direct x, it's 9B, and the game asks for 9C. I go to download.com and get 9C and when I try to download it, it asks me where I want to install it.

Now, I should mention that the game is installed on a computer that isn't hooked to the internet. I download directx9c to my jump drive and load it from there.

My question is, Where does directx go? I go to program files and open up the Directx file there and NOTHING is in that file, yet when I check my DXDIAG file it says I have version 9b.

I did notice that the cab files are dated in the directx download and if I just knew where to put them or if there is some way the download could automatically update direct x, that would be great.

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/16/2008 10:17:40 PM   
Scott_Shockwave

You should have a DXSETUP.EXE to run from that download, if I am not mistaken.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 2
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/17/2008 12:44:49 AM   
87Ranger

I run the Directx set up and it says it's updating, then I go to my DXDIAG in run and it still says I have version B. I even downloaded the Directx 10 file, says its updating, then I check it and again it says I have version 9b.

Don't most games ask you if you want to download the latest Directx, and even check to see if you have the latest, and if not, the game has the correct version to download?

Frustrating to say the least.

Please, if you ask for something in a game, have it in the game files, like most other games.

I'll keep trying.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 3
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/17/2008 7:35:28 AM   
freeboy

mine too now, lol ok, it is asking for d3dx9_31.dll
And I did allow the game to install dx9c PLEASE HELP!

< Message edited by freeboy -- 2/17/2008 9:59:22 AM >

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 4
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/17/2008 10:26:57 AM   
freeboy

ok, this is a real screw up on the isnataller PLEASE FIX THIS MATTRIX
the current fix is to get the fill above:d3dx9_31.dll  from a source like : http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_31
and install it into windows/ system..
That worked for me, but I should not have to spend an hour plus debugging a non new game!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/17/2008 10:59:06 AM   
freeboy

I think the problem is there are all htese different versions of 9.3, and the game needs _31.. so why on earth was this not detected in testing ? lol ok case closed, but you may want to fix the dl and add the correct dx9 or add a patch etc.. just forthe sake of those who may not have 9.3 or that hit add it in the install and think that is what they are supposed to do.. etc etc thanks   rant over

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/19/2008 5:20:29 AM   
Paul65

Thanks for the help! This got me past the play button. I thought I would try the instant action. I then had a pop up that said I need the indeo.ligos codec or something like that and if I continued the program would close and ask if I wanted to send a report to Microsoft. Going to the indeo.ligos web site I see having to pay for the codec? Am I missing something here? Please help frustrated newbie!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/19/2008 7:26:15 AM   
freeboy

notsure about the indeo codec, what are you using for an operating system and what is the EXACT file that is needed, I will search for it..

(in reply to Paul65)
Post #: 8
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/19/2008 6:23:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi 87Ranger,

You'll want the full DirectX redistributable, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9226a611-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&DisplayLang=en

However, DirectX 9.0c is also included in Windows XP SP2, which has been out for about four years now.

What OS are you guys running?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 9
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/19/2008 8:24:01 PM   
freeboy

Erik, The problem is ther are a lot of direct x 9.0c dll's. about a doqen or so.. The exact file this game needs is not in the " do you want dx installed" thing the installer uses.. I noted how to get it, I am  using SP 2..
Seems these types of issues are not too commen, but if someone tested there system install without dx 9, hit yes, they would have cought this.. I suggest you try it.. simply take a spare pc, deleat dx 9, and try the install for this game hitting yes to do you want to install dx 9.. it will cause a failure.. that is my point.

Not sure on the indio codec.. seems hinki that it would cost money.. I am sure we can get one for free

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/19/2008 10:29:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Freeboy,

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy
Erik, The problem is ther are a lot of direct x 9.0c dll's. about a doqen or so.. The exact file this game needs is not in the " do you want dx installed" thing the installer uses.. I noted how to get it, I am  using SP 2..
Seems these types of issues are not too commen, but if someone tested there system install without dx 9, hit yes, they would have cought this.. I suggest you try it.. simply take a spare pc, deleat dx 9, and try the install for this game hitting yes to do you want to install dx 9.. it will cause a failure.. that is my point.

I'd still like to know what OS folks are running, as Dx 9 is included in XP as of SP2, no good way to remove it.

quote:

Not sure on the indio codec.. seems hinki that it would cost money.. I am sure we can get one for free

For Indeo codecs, you can grab the free one here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Indeo_Codec.htm

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/20/2008 12:37:00 AM   
freeboy

right, I am using windows xp home sp2. sorry, I was trying to be helpful not a butttt

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/20/2008 4:05:05 AM   
Wild

I have the same problem. My game will not start it keeps saying i'm missing directx file d3dx9_31.dll. i am running windows xp sp2. I have downloaded and reinstalled and generally pulled my hair out for the last 4 hours. I have never had such trouble from the many other matrix games i've bought. Please fix this matrix! It should not be this confusing to get an older game (or any game for that matter) to work.
I am now going to try to download directx c as suggested above. But this whole episode will make me question further purchases from matrix. Sorry to rant but i am just very, very frustrated.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 13
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/20/2008 4:12:01 AM   
freeboy

see above fix, copy the corect dll from the link I provided nto the windows/system folder and it should work

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 14
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/20/2008 4:21:42 AM   
Wild

Thanks freeboy. I followed your advice and the game now works. Without your advice i dread to think how many more hours i would have wasted trying to get this game to work. Most likley i would have just deleted it and kissed my money goodbye. Thanks again.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 15
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/22/2008 6:16:20 PM   
Greg Wilcox

We are currently working on getting an updated installer that should include the missing file. I apologize for the error and the subsequent frustration that you guys are having because of it.

-Greg

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 16
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/22/2008 11:10:06 PM   
Greg Wilcox

We've uploaded a fix for this issue which you can access by clicking on this link.
Direct X d3dx9_31.dll fix

-Greg

Greg Wilcox
Production Assistant

(in reply to Greg Wilcox)
Post #: 17
RE: BoB and Direct x - 2/25/2008 3:09:20 AM   
kaybayray

Greg and Matrix Staff,
Thank you very much for providing this fix. Was quite frustrating after reading about this game and finally spending the Dukkets for it, installing and ... Ka Klick... nada.

To possibly help other out with the same issue, I am probably running a very typical system.

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2, have DX 10. something and AMD 2.4GHZ chip set, 765MB system Ram, Radeon 256MB 9600 video card. I also run games like WOW and Aces High II among many Matrix games, (SPWAW, most of the Campaign Series of WWII to name a few) so I was a bit surprised to see and dx.dll missing file error when I tried to launch the game.

Being fairly well experienced with computers ( I built this and my last three PC's since 92) I knew it was a pretty easy fix. Just need to find the right file and drop it in. The only problem is, where do I get "The Right" right file?? Being weary about what is out there and if it is actually what it says I was very pleased and thankful to see you had provided us with the correct file that had been overlooked.

Thank you very much for the help. I will now go back to defending England from the Nazi Hoard.

Later,
KayBay

(in reply to Greg Wilcox)
Post #: 18
RE: BoB and Direct x - 9/20/2008 8:59:11 PM   
mashkis

Please HELP!!!

I have followed the instructions above and I keep getting the Direct X dll error. Any suggestions...

(in reply to 87Ranger)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory >> Tech Support >> BoB and Direct x Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI