Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Readiness issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Readiness issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Readiness issues - 2/20/2008 7:08:53 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Jarek entered item 5.3 in the wishlist as follows:

5.3 Corrected readiness recovery for short-movement-rate settings.

I'm finding that to be somewhat cryptic. Can you expand on that please, Jarek?

I will point out that my item 5.4 below it suggests that readiness costs for movement aren't always scaled logically, and it may be those costs, rather than the recovery from them that is the real issue.

While we're on the readiness issue, I have some problems with lumping readiness costs for movement of foot/horse units with motorized units. That doesn't make sense to me. If I drive 500 miles I might be about as fatigued as if I walked about 5 miles. Yet TOAW fatigues foot and motorized units the same per unit distance. Now, I can see some issue if the vehicle is tracked, since tracks wear out much faster than wheels, but TOAW isn't making that distinction. Historically, being motorized was a big edge. Not so much in TOAW.
Post #: 1
RE: Readiness issues - 2/21/2008 12:02:46 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I will point out that my item 5.4 below it suggests that readiness costs for movement aren't always scaled logically, and it may be those costs, rather than the recovery from them that is the real issue.

While we're on the readiness issue, I have some problems with lumping readiness costs for movement of foot/horse units with motorized units. That doesn't make sense to me. If I drive 500 miles I might be about as fatigued as if I walked about 5 miles. Yet TOAW fatigues foot and motorized units the same per unit distance. Now, I can see some issue if the vehicle is tracked, since tracks wear out much faster than wheels, but TOAW isn't making that distinction. Historically, being motorized was a big edge. Not so much in TOAW.

To some extent, you assume modern, breakdown-free vehicles. Ten percent of the vehicles in a British tank brigade might break down in the course of moving a hundred miles; obviously, the combat performance of the brigade would deteriorate sharply with continuous movement. It would recover sharply given a pause of a day or two.

In any case, for the distinction to be addressed properly, one really would need supply broken into several categories -- and have it operate in several ways. Trucks, for example will really eat up the miles -- until they run out of gas. Foot soldiers can keep moving on a minimum of supply. So the model might be about right for non-motorized movement in country with water, a minimum of forage, etc. It's almost irrelevant to the mechanics of motorized movement. My truck goes great until there's no more gas. Then it stops completely.

I don't see motorized units as intrinsically having a 'big edge.' They're a lot faster -- as long as their needs for petrol are met. When these needs aren't met, they're completely immobile.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 2/21/2008 12:03:07 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 2
RE: Readiness issues - 2/21/2008 6:51:03 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright
To some extent, you assume modern, breakdown-free vehicles. Ten percent of the vehicles in a British tank brigade might break down in the course of moving a hundred miles; obviously, the combat performance of the brigade would deteriorate sharply with continuous movement. It would recover sharply given a pause of a day or two.

I think that's better covered already via the straggler mechanism. And, even there, you're talking about tracked vehicles. Wheeled vehicles didn't breakdown at that rate. (Perhaps we need another flag for that). Think of the difference in condition of a foot unit that marched 100 miles vs. one that rode that far in trucks.

quote:

In any case, for the distinction to be addressed properly, one really would need supply broken into several categories -- and have it operate in several ways. Trucks, for example will really eat up the miles -- until they run out of gas. Foot soldiers can keep moving on a minimum of supply. So the model might be about right for non-motorized movement in country with water, a minimum of forage, etc. It's almost irrelevant to the mechanics of motorized movement. My truck goes great until there's no more gas. Then it stops completely.

There's a completely different parameter for all of that: Supply. Readiness is a different issue. That raises another complaint: Why should readiness be reduced to the supply level, if it's lower? Shouldn't they be completely independent?

quote:

I don't see motorized units as intrinsically having a 'big edge.' They're a lot faster -- as long as their needs for petrol are met. When these needs aren't met, they're completely immobile.

Tell that to the foot-bound Italians in O'Connor's Raid. Motorized troops can manuver without getting fatigued. That's a big edge.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 3
RE: Readiness issues - 2/21/2008 10:01:36 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I think that's better covered already via the straggler mechanism. And, even there, you're talking about tracked vehicles. Wheeled vehicles didn't breakdown at that rate. (Perhaps we need another flag for that). Think of the difference in condition of a foot unit that marched 100 miles vs. one that rode that far in trucks.

This gets me thinking about the need for a transport mechanism other than trucks that are an organic part of the unit.
quote:

quote:

There's a completely different parameter for all of that: Supply. Readiness is a different issue. That raises another complaint: Why should readiness be reduced to the supply level, if it's lower? Shouldn't they be completely independent?

quote:

Tell that to the foot-bound Italians in O'Connor's Raid. Motorized troops can manuver without getting fatigued. That's a big edge.

Tell your claim to the immobilized panzer divisions in the Stalingrad pocket. Infantry can walk without gasoline. That can be a big edge.

You seem to want motorized units to simply be less subject to exhaustion. I think that's not what's needed -- and that such a change wouldn't improve matters. I think what you're doing is simply pointing up the need for a more sophisticated, multi-part supply model.

In any case, if we did have separate transportation units and/or a capacity for 'embussed' movement along roads, it would deal with at least part of your complaint. Trucked infantry could indeed ride along without losing readiness and supply. They just wouldn't be able to take their trucks into battle with them. For artillery, one can see the loss of readiness and supply as reflecting the need to reestablish shell dumps, register fire, etc. For tanks, well -- those do break down, as you noted. In an ideal world, I'd like a varying breakdown rate for tanks. It would help to explain why the Sherman really wasn't such a bad tank after all.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 2/21/2008 10:03:21 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 4
RE: Readiness issues - 2/21/2008 11:22:20 PM   
Legun

quote:

Sure, I can. Readiness of a resting unit increases by value equal it the unit's movement rate. So, if your unit has 33MP's, it needs two turns to get 100% of readiness from total exhaustion. If the unit has 6MP's - it needs 11 turns. But reduction of readiness depends not only on movement, but also on supply consumption for combat. An unit can lost 100 points of supply during single player turn. It means, that one turn fighting on 33% of maximal intensity reduces readiness to minimal value for sure. A designer can regulate recovery of supply, but units have fixed setting of readiness recovery. That means, that in my "Forgotten Battles" scenarios, with standard movement rate of 6, supply level of standard units participating in a main course of battle oscillates between 1 and 100, when their readiness oscillates between 33 and 50 only.

Post #: 5
RE: Readiness issues - 2/21/2008 11:28:49 PM   
Legun

quote:

They should! I don't see any reason for such connection - as well as for 33 limit for readiness rediction. See German troops on the Marne - they were supplied, but too fatigued to fight.

Post #: 6
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 4:14:09 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Legun

quote:

They should! I don't see any reason for such connection - as well as for 33 limit for readiness rediction. See German troops on the Marne - they were supplied, but too fatigued to fight.

Yeah. Always impressed me. Supposedly the French captured whole trenchfuls of sleeping Germans. They'd snoozed right through the attack.

It can happen. I had a helper who had once had an employer who wanted him to drive to LA and back every day. That's about a fifteen-hour haul, and all the loading and unloading BS...

Well, anyway, dude protested after about a week or two. Employer said: Just keep doing it. I'll pay you whatever you want.

Okay...one morning, he found the police shaking him awake. He'd driven off the road and wound up in the middle of a cornfield. Had never woken up.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 7
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 4:17:28 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

More seriously, some testing should be done before this 'error' is 'fixed.' The original reason for Norm's decision should be understood before the 'improvement' is released rather than after.

Like the 'bug' with AA. I've always suspected that Norm threw that in -- when he observed AA mowing down attacking aircraft in quite ahistorical style. Well, it got 'fixed' -- and now it's a major problem.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 8
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 5:30:54 PM   
Legun

quote:

More seriously, some testing should be done before this 'error' is 'fixed.' The original reason for Norm's decision should be understood before the 'improvement' is released rather than after.

Testing is needed for sure. Anyway, as you know, I don't think Norm's decisions were always rational. Many of TOAW ideas are arguments for just opposite thesis . Increasing scale of possible readiness values couldn't be very simple. For example - I don't like to see Paulus' army with readiness at 100% and supply at 0% - a rest without food in a freeze isn't really effective. We could replace present rule (readiness is between 33% and present supply level) by a similar - readiness is between 1% and supply_level+33%. Without readiness fixed at at least 33% artillery couldn't fire without any limits.

Post #: 9
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 6:35:17 PM   
Karri

Readiness recovery should be pretty fast. For exampe any unit would recover fully in a week. That is from physical exhaustion.

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 10
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 6:53:19 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Sure, I can. Readiness of a resting unit increases by value equal it the unit's movement rate. So, if your unit has 33MP's, it needs two turns to get 100% of readiness from total exhaustion. If the unit has 6MP's - it needs 11 turns.

Thanks for the clarification. But I don't think the above is quite correct, and if it is it's a problem. I think the recovery is time-based. So the amount of recovery that takes 1 turn @ the whole-week turn rate takes 28 turns @ the six-hour turn rate. I don't see any problem with that. The problem is in the accumulation of readiness loss. Readiness reduction due to movement needs to be scaled correctly for all combinations. And readiness loss due to combat needs to be based on losses. (I thought that was the case). Losses should accumulate much slower with shorter turn scales - see the Attrition Divider thing.

quote:

But reduction of readiness depends not only on movement, but also on supply consumption for combat.

As I've stated elsewhere, supply and readiness should be completely independent. The reduction of readiness to the supply level seems wrong to me. Anybody out there know of a rationale?

quote:

A designer can regulate recovery of supply, but units have fixed setting of readiness recovery.

Exactly! And that's why they need to be independent of each other. This seems to be primarily what is mucking up your scenario.

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 11
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 6:59:07 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Tell your claim to the immobilized panzer divisions in the Stalingrad pocket. Infantry can walk without gasoline. That can be a big edge.

That's covered by the supply rules - or should be. These should be independent issues.

quote:

ou seem to want motorized units to simply be less subject to exhaustion.

Yep. At the very least, admit that they should be less subject to exhaustion.

quote:

For tanks, well -- those do break down, as you noted. In an ideal world, I'd like a varying breakdown rate for tanks. It would help to explain why the Sherman really wasn't such a bad tank after all.

I don't have a problem with that. And terrain should impact breakdown rates, too. The breakdown rate in the desert was an order of magnitude greater than in Europe - all that sand.

Post #: 12
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 7:01:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

Readiness recovery should be pretty fast. For exampe any unit would recover fully in a week. That is from physical exhaustion.

Well, there's battle fatigue in addition to physical exhaustion.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 13
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 9:48:35 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

We could replace present rule (readiness is between 33% and present supply level) by a similar - readiness is between 1% and supply_level+33%. Without readiness fixed at at least 33% artillery couldn't fire without any limits.

Probably Norm's intention -- he wanted infantry et al to continue to be able to fight.

That actually suggests a rather 'clean' improvement. Remove the 33% limit for all units having air, armored, and artillery icons. Then we can get artillery that really does have to stop firing when it runs out of shells.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 14
RE: Readiness issues - 2/22/2008 9:58:21 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Readiness recovery should be pretty fast. For exampe any unit would recover fully in a week. That is from physical exhaustion.

Yeah -- but that's also something that seems to be dependent upon the cultural expectations of the troops concerned. The American and British armies of World War Two seem to have had to concern themselves more with such matters than others. The French in 1940 were remarkably prompt to decide that various units had given their all and just couldn't be called upon to make another effort.

The 'need' also seems to sometimes be a luxury. I'm working on my Syria 1941 scenario -- where the Commonwealth found they had bitten off considerably more than they had bargained for when they went after the Vichy French. A lot of those Australian battalions fought for over a month without a break. No doubt if replacements had been available, it would have been decided that they 'needed a rest.' Since there weren't replacements, they just didn't get the rest -- and performed fine.

I suppose that pending a more elaborate modification, a reasonable general modification would be to make recovery of readiness follow a convex curve -- you get from 33% to 60% fairly quickly, but slow thereafter. Readiness recovery could be a proportion of the difference between the current readiness level and 100 plus some small constant value. You want that 100%, you have to really rest the unit.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 2/22/2008 10:16:50 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 15
RE: Readiness issues - 2/23/2008 12:51:59 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

Readiness recovery should be pretty fast. For exampe any unit would recover fully in a week. That is from physical exhaustion.

Yeah -- but that's also something that seems to be dependent upon the cultural expectations of the troops concerned. The American and British armies of World War Two seem to have had to concern themselves more with such matters than others. The French in 1940 were remarkably prompt to decide that various units had given their all and just couldn't be called upon to make another effort.

The 'need' also seems to sometimes be a luxury. I'm working on my Syria 1941 scenario -- where the Commonwealth found they had bitten off considerably more than they had bargained for when they went after the Vichy French. A lot of those Australian battalions fought for over a month without a break. No doubt if replacements had been available, it would have been decided that they 'needed a rest.' Since there weren't replacements, they just didn't get the rest -- and performed fine.

I suppose that pending a more elaborate modification, a reasonable general modification would be to make recovery of readiness follow a convex curve -- you get from 33% to 60% fairly quickly, but slow thereafter. Readiness recovery could be a proportion of the difference between the current readiness level and 100 plus some small constant value. You want that 100%, you have to really rest the unit.

Doin' great work boys, love the ideas, like this one, that come out of here. Can't wait till we are able to see them implemented.

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

Post #: 16
RE: Readiness issues - 2/23/2008 2:26:56 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

Readiness of a resting unit increases by value equal it the unit's movement rate. So, if your unit has 33MP's, it needs two turns to get 100% of readiness from total exhaustion. If the unit has 6MP's - it needs 11 turns.

Really don’t think that movement rate is a good indicator of a unit’s ability to recover readiness.

Suggest that the recovery of readiness for a resting unit be a function of “supply + proficiency + time (measured in days)”. In this way similar units with similar supply and readiness will recover readiness in equal time intervals independent of the scenario time scale.

As an example, where a unit in a one day/turn scenario requires two days to fully recover a unit in a half week/turn scenario might require only six or seven turn pulses. This would make it possible for a unit to gain readiness as the individual turn progresses.

There could be qualifiers added to the function of whether the unit is mechanized or foot, but the basic premise should remain.

Also, for units that move but are not engaged in combat, a function should be devised that gives them a partial recovery of readiness. Maybe the readiness added could be based on the percentage of remaining days/MP not used before resting.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Legun)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> Readiness issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI