Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Austerlitz campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Austerlitz campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Austerlitz campaign - 2/22/2008 12:36:50 PM   
Killerduck

This is a short AAR from a face to face game. There are a lot of house rules, which I will not explain here, but include random events, new leaders and strict stacking limits. Hardly a guide of any kind, this is purely here for entertainment purposes only. I enjoy reading AARs myself.

1805 January

Event: Stupid politics, -1pp (Austria)

France DOWs Berg, Prussia
Spain DOWs Marocco, Algeria
Turkey DOWs Tunisia, Egypt
GB DOWs Denmark
Prussia DOWs Mecklenburg, Duchies.
Prusia&Austria&Russia all ally.

French DOW surprises Prussians and France gets new supply source right next to Berlin(Mecklenburg). La Grande Armee (LGA from now on) besieges and destroys Saxon army and 10 Prussian infantry. 3I, 3G and 4C are captured.

1805 February

Event: Succesfull trade,double trade income next economic (Spain)

Austria DOWs France.

Dutch and Danish fleets sortie, but are crushed by British counterattack.

Russian and Austrian armies march towards Prussia. Prussia forms a screen of corps to delay French advance.

1805 March

No event.

Russia DOWs France.

Egyptians threaten Turkish supply lines and Khan counterattacks, Battle of Davietta.
Turkey vs Russia
Khan vs Ali
Syrians, 10FI, 8FC vs 12I, 6C
Echelon vs Defend
Russia breaks after 1st round. Turkey loses 2FI, Egyptians lose 2I, 1C and 5C pursuit losses.

Coalition attacks Napoleon's army in Saxony (forest)
Coalition vs France
Charles vs Napoleon
Probe vs Outflank
82I, 13C, 5G vs 43I, 8C, 5G (pinning) and 53I, 9C (flanking)
Napoleon's outflank succeeds. Kutusov reinforces the battle after 1st round (2 cossacks, 59I, 12C)
Boths sides commit the guard (+2) on third round. Coalition breaks.
France loses 34I, 4G. Coalition loses 16I, 3G, 1 Cossack -Pyrhic victory if I ever saw one.

French units spread around Prussia, trying to force civil disorder, but Posen holds.

Britain hands 45$ to Prussia. Berlin is French occupied.

1805 April

Event: Persian invasion (targeting Russia)

Spain DOWs Portugal.
Turkey DOWs Austria.
Turkey and France ally.

French move first and retreat west, leaving a screen of small corps to delay. Coalition forces follow and attack the screening forces, but there is a surprise in Kustrin.

Battle of Kustrin
Russia vs France
Bagration vs Lannes
6I vs 15I, 3C
Probe vs Defend
Russians are all dead after second round. Bagration is captured.

Turkey pushes into Austria and insurrection corps intercept.

Battle of Peterwardein
Turkey vs Austria
Grand Vizier vs Default
Assault vs Cordon
29I, 9FI, 8FC vs 30M, 6C.
Austria breaks after 2nd round.
Turkey suffers no casualities, Austria loses everything: 6M,6C and 36M for pursuit.

1805 May

No event

Russia&Prussia DOW Turkey
Spain DOWs Tuscany and Papacy

British army sails to Gibraltar. Russian fleets help with Blockading the French.

LGA retreats further (Hanover), leaving garrisons. Coalition follows (Saxony). Turkish reach Ofen, but fail to penetrate the walls.

1805 June

Event: Revolt on Corfu (Corfu becomes neutral)

Spain DOWs Romagna
GB DOWs Turkey
Spain and France ally.

French fleet sails to Cartagena. British blockade. British squadron invades Tunis.

Turks capture Ofen and besiege Vienna, supported by a small French detacthment. French capture Mantua.

1805 July

No event

Spain DOWs Naples

Russia invades Saint Malo and captures the city. French counterattack and Russians retreat to the city.

LGA retreats all the way to Kleves, but manages to reset the double move. Coalition finishes cleaningup Prussia.

Turkish and French forces breach Vienna, but city is heavily garrisoned and holds.

1805 August

No event

Coalition recaptures Saxony. Britain moves more armies to mediterranean.
Venice falls to French due to starvation.
Persians fight Russians to a standstill at Astrakhan.

LGA challenges the coalition again, Battle of Nuremburg.

France&Turkey vs Coalition
Outflank vs Outflank
84I, 17C, 1G vs 69I, 11C
Davout reinforces the battle after 1st round (3M, 8 TurkishC). Massena (1I, 1M, 7TurkishC), Kutusov and Mollendorf reinforce the battle after 2nd round (42I, 15C, 5G)
Austrian guard is committed on 3rd round. Coalition breaks.
France loses 11I, Coalition loses 23I, 1 Cossack. Marshall Mollendorf is killed.

1805 September

Event: Emansipation, +5 manpower next economic (Turkey)

Turkey and France combine movement after Russia. Russia does not combine with the Coalition.

Alexander defeats the Persians in Astrakhan.

Napoleon attacks again, 2nd Battle of Nuremburg.
France vs Coalition
Napoleon vs Charles
Outflank vs Esc. Counterattack
Pinning: 10A, 45I, 6C, 7 TurkishC, Flanking: 40I, 3C vs 59I, 15C, 3G.
Napoleon fails to outflank. Davout, Massena and Kutusov fail to reinforce. Brunswick succeeds (14I, 4C, 3G)
Austria commits the guard on 2nd round, but fails to break the French - Coalition breaks.
France loses 9I. Coalition loses 15I, 1G, 1C and 3C to pursuit.

Coalition counterattacks on Napoleon's flank.(Forest)
Coalition vs France&Turkey
Charles vs Davout
Probe vs Defend
58I, 15C, 5G vs 9I, 3C, 8TurkishFC
Napoleon reinforces after 1st round (65I, 12C, 10A, 7TurkishC). Kutusov reinforces after 2nd round (31I, 10C, 2G).
Battle is inconclusive and both sides remain to fight another day. France loses 11I and Coalition loses 17I on the first day.

2nd day
Charles vs Napoleon
Esc. Assault vs Esc. Counterattack
Coalition breaks after 2nd round.
France loses 9I more, Coalition loses 18I.

Vienna garrison survives another assault.
Persian cavalry besieges Kiev.
Britain invades Palestine.
Dutch army is besieged and destroyed in Stettin.

Britain gives money to Prussia, France gives money to Turkey.

1805 October

Coalition refuses to negotiate about surrender, even though France offers very light peace terms. War goes on.

2nd Battle of Saxony
France vs Coalition
Napoleon vs Charles
Outflank vs Esc. Counterattack
Pinning: 10A, 56I, 9C. Flanking: 20I, 1G vs 48I, 16C, 5G
Napoleon succeeds in flanking. Massena and French default leader reinforce the battle after 1st round (23M, 1I). Davout, Soult and Kutusov fail to reinforce.
Coalition commits the guard on third round(+2), but there arent enough guards left in the Russian corps. Coalition breaks.
France loses 10I. Coalition loses 48I, 5G, 2C and further 2C to pursuit.

France quietly withdraws the peace offer...

Vienna garrison finally surrenders.
British land in Egypt and Greece.
Prussia captures Mecklenburg.
Persians besieging Kiev lose to an all-Cossack force.

The rest of the game was France dominance, including a huge (and successfull) naval program to destroy the royal navy.

Events that led to France beating such a large coalition include:
-French build program. Artillery on March, Infantry on June and militia on September. All these units came out at the same time and achieved strategic surprise.
-Turkish help.
-Coalitions failure to pressure France when the double move was used, allowing France to take two double moves during the campaign.
-Dice. Napoleon failed an outflank roll once, but otherwise dice favoured the French.

Post #: 1
RE: Austerlitz campaign - 2/22/2008 6:10:48 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Killerduck, Awesome AAR!!! Really like the way you organized the battle reports and other notes...a real model for future AAR's on this forum. In fact, I'll have to organize our group's battle/diplomacy results in the same manner...maybe I'll post them here at some point.

Our current F2F 7 player game is an 1800 scenario which includes some 1792 leaders such as Suvarov, Moreau, Napy 'B' leader, etc... France is not dominant, blockade difficulties, 4 corp/depot supply, no French guard corp until March 1804(guard can be built in September 1803), adjustments made for all corp/fleet strengths of both majors as well as minors reflecting historical January 1800 as well as victory points.

Curious about your game...Persians? Playing with economic manipulation? It seems you have competant compitition. I like the way the French "quietly withdraws the peace offer..." after the 2nd battle of Saxony;-)
C

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Killerduck)
Post #: 2
RE: Austerlitz campaign - 2/22/2008 7:59:18 PM   
Murat

You also have a critical difference in house rules from ours - capital occupation in our games denied a player ALL $, even loaned. It made people a bit more protective of their capitals. We also used the hard civil disorder to force people to surrender reasonably instead of driving their nations into the ground. These made the game a series of short wars instead of a single 11 year war with no end.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 3
RE: Austerlitz campaign - 2/23/2008 1:42:51 AM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

You also have a critical difference in house rules from ours - capital occupation in our games denied a player ALL $, even loaned. It made people a bit more protective of their capitals. We also used the hard civil disorder to force people to surrender reasonably instead of driving their nations into the ground. These made the game a series of short wars instead of a single 11 year war with no end.

I'm not sure if you mean my game or the Austerlitz game? As for our F2F game, capitol occupation denies a player all regular income, but not loaned...regardless, we are VERY protective of our capitols. We play with a modified Civil Disorder rule only because we do not want to remove anyone permanently from any game...its hard enough getting 7 qualified and interested people to drive and get together every Saturday...so if all red cities are taken that country must UNC to everyone they are at war with. The regular Civil Disorder is probably ok in a computer EiA game. We tend to have "short" wars...unless Spain and Russia find themselves at war with each other;-) By the way...we play with open economics...any time anyone wants to check someone's builds and economics, the player must reveal, and written ecomonic records are held on to until completion of game.
C

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 4
RE: Austerlitz campaign - 2/23/2008 2:01:12 AM   
Murat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14
By the way...we play with open economics...any time anyone wants to check someone's builds and economics, the player must reveal, and written ecomonic records are held on to until completion of game.
C

We had the same but since we used laminated sheets and grease pencils we did not have a full game tally.

< Message edited by Murat -- 2/23/2008 2:02:37 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Austerlitz campaign - 2/23/2008 5:44:37 PM   
Killerduck

What we are playing is a crossbreed between EiH and EiA. You'd be better off by checking out the EiH at yahoo groups.

To answer some questions...
We play with all optional rules, except militia conversion. That means economic manipulation also.

Copy pasted from our random events table (which itself is almost completely from EiH):

75-81 Persian invasion:
Persia is at war with either Russia or Turkey (50% each). Control of the Persians goes to: firstly, Russia or the Ottoman (the one not being invaded) if at war with each other, secondly to a player who is at war with the invaded Major Power, and finally to anyone who is willing to take control. If multiple Major Powers with equal level of claims desire control, roll D6 to determine control.
Persian forces may only enter the home nation provinces of the Major Power with which they are at war, along with Georgia and Armenia. Persian forces are automatically granted access rights by either Russia or Turkey (the one not at war with Persia) for access through these provinces.
The major power controlling Persia receives $10 initially, and an additional $10 per economic phase for the Persians (for purchase of depots and supply). This money is kept separate, with the Persians treated as a free state. For the controlling Major Power to “loan” money to the Persians, he must do so in an economic phase and be at war with the same major power that the Persians are. The Persians cannot loan money to a Major Power. Persian forces pay no maintenance in the Economic Phase. The Persian forces of two Feodal Cavalry Corps and three Feodal Infantry Corps and any available leaders are setup within Persia immediately when the event is rolled.
The Persian Corps function as normal Feodal Corps, and may be filled in the December Levy Step, in the normal manner. The Persian invasion is over when any of the following conditions are met:
Persia has suffered a loss of 40 or more factors.
12 turns have passed since the Persian Invasion event occurred.
Persian supply source is held by enemy for three months.
The Major Power at war with Persia gains “+3” political points in any of these three cases. The war with Persia may also end if the Major Power at war offers a conditional surrender (which Persia must accept), resulting in the loss of “-5” political points, and the surrendering Major Power must pay reparations (as per peace condition B.3) to Persia. Surrendering to Persia is considered surrender to a Major Power and may be combined with surrender to other Major Powers, for no additional political point loss. Persia automatically “picks” first, taking condition B.3 (money) as its first and only condition.
Following a peace with Persia (either victory or defeat) that Major Power may not be invaded by Persia for 12 months (with the event automatically effecting the other possible victim, if permissible).
The Major Power controlling Persia gains and loses political points in the manner of any Sponsored minor country. The only exception is when the war is over, that the Major Power neither gains nor loses the political points as a result of the peace. If the Major Power controlling Persia is at war with the “victim” of the Persian Invasion, that Major Power may use his depots and pay for Persian supply. If this event is rolled while currently in effect, treat as no event
Persians appear at the edge of the board in Armenia or Georgia with the controlling major power automatically granting them access.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> After Action Reports >> Austerlitz campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI