Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/17/2008 6:35:26 PM   
GFeros

Just really started getting into it, I have to say Congratulations to the man behind it! I can only imagine what is in the future for this excellent war game!
Post #: 1
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/17/2008 7:36:12 PM   
Vic

always nice to get congratulated.

(in reply to GFeros)
Post #: 2
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/19/2008 7:28:24 PM   
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

I wholeheartedly agree!!!  Thanks this has been a great game.  Been playing it PBEM against a few friends and we are all really enjoying it.  I'm also really glad its replayable with the random maps and potential mods.  Well done Vic. 

John 21:25

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 3
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/19/2008 9:29:03 PM   
freeboy

seems we love u Vic!

(in reply to leehunt27@bloomberg.net)
Post #: 4
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/20/2008 8:52:19 PM   
BoredStiff

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

seems we love u Vic!

BoredStiff

[Link and Avatar removed by Moderator]

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/21/2008 9:32:14 AM   
Hetzer43

Yes just got it today and I cant quit playing it very nice!

< Message edited by Hetzer43 -- 2/21/2008 9:35:27 AM >

(in reply to BoredStiff)
Post #: 6
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/24/2008 11:11:19 PM   
zook08

The same here, but IMHO there are a couple of negatives:

The Supply and Transfer systems work very, but are quite cryptic to a newcomer. And the manual isn't very helpful, to say the least. The chapter on supply should tell you all you need to know about the subject, but doesn't. Neither does the mini-tutorial. I think I've figured out the supply system now, but only after days of playing, fiddling with the editor and reading this forum. Since supply is one of the most important aspects of the game, this is a serious drawback.

It's even worse with combat. The system works pretty well and allows a lot of variety in scenarios, but there are dozens of factors involved, their function is anything but obvious and the documentation seems disorganized and incomplete to me.

(in reply to Hetzer43)
Post #: 7
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/25/2008 12:00:23 AM   
montarakid

Zook, at the risk of being a tad repetitive, one must practically learn the game to understand the manual.

Thank goodness for the AT Forum!

"If brute force doesn't work, you aren't using enough brute force." - mTk

(in reply to zook08)
Post #: 8
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/25/2008 12:19:38 AM   
Joshuatree

quote:

ORIGINAL: zook08

The same here, but IMHO there are a couple of negatives:

The Supply and Transfer systems work very, but are quite cryptic to a newcomer. And the manual isn't very helpful, to say the least. The chapter on supply should tell you all you need to know about the subject, but doesn't. Neither does the mini-tutorial. I think I've figured out the supply system now, but only after days of playing, fiddling with the editor and reading this forum. Since supply is one of the most important aspects of the game, this is a serious drawback.

It's even worse with combat. The system works pretty well and allows a lot of variety in scenarios, but there are dozens of factors involved, their function is anything but obvious and the documentation seems disorganized and incomplete to me.

You're right. Then again think about it how either extremely expensive such a manual would be that would cover *all* the details involved, or how it would turn into a boring math book. A good manual would look something like a well written AAR... and there already are some of those.

(in reply to zook08)
Post #: 9
RE: This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! - 2/25/2008 5:31:21 AM   
zook08

I don't know how you guys approach a new game (or any kind of software). Personally, I never read a manual until I need to. I don't even play tutorials. I just get right into it until I stumble across something I don't quite understand. Then I look it up in the manual, and I expect to find a complete and comprehensive answer there. And in my opinion, game manuals generally suck. But who needs a 200-page PDF if you can't find what you need, and quickly?

I think I understand that pretty well. I'm writing software myself, and I know that maybe a third of your time should be devoted to documenting your work. So much for theory. Documenting stuff isn't fun. What you really want is to fix the most serious bugs, and Go Where No Man Has Gone Before, i.e. add cool new features. You can write the manual on a lazy sunday afternoon, one of these days. Maybe. On the other hand... you could spend the time writing a cool new feature instead, or squash a few bugs. It's more fun and actually makes the world a better place. Writing manuals is for bureaucrats, anyway. Not us creative types.

Oh, it gets worse. Because after adding a cool new feature, you have not only to fix the new bugs, but also update the manual. Tell the users what this new button does. As if the buggers couldn't find out for themselves, simply by clicking on it. You rewrite half the bloody manual every week. Geez, and now you suddenly notice that parts of what you wrote last week are utterly incomprehensible, even to you.

Ideally, you could have somebody else write the manual for you. In the world of niche-market wargames, that somebody is probably your publisher's secretary's nephew, and he's being paid a hundred bucks for the job. That can turn out to be a blessing or a curse. A curse, because maybe he's not really doing a good job and doesn't even know the game well enough to write the manual. When you find out, the game is already shipping. Or a blessing, because he starts at zero, just like any new player, and is much better suited to explain the system, step by step, because he had to understand it all himself very recently.

Actually, I think Vic wrote most of the manual himself. That's why you sometimes find details there you don't really want to know, but also sometimes look for the very basics in vain. That (again, in my limited experience) happens when you document something you've been familiar with for years, because you wrote it yourself. The basics are so obvious to you that sometimes, you forget to explain them.

< Message edited by zook08 -- 2/25/2008 5:42:09 AM >

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> This Game Is Awesome! Congrats to VR! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI