Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/21/2008 1:48:39 PM   
Barb

ehm, I think that War in the pacific was also against Britain, Dutch. :o)
Instead of pointing of american interests, there should be mentioned something like western colonialism as the war was not only against US :o)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2221
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/21/2008 9:54:12 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

ehm, I think that War in the pacific was also against Britain, Dutch. :o)
Instead of pointing of american interests, there should be mentioned something like western colonialism as the war was not only against US :o)

Well, considering that this is an editorial from a newspaper and is directed to the American president, I see nothing wrong with how its written. One needs not include every participant in every discussion. It is not a discourse on Pacific history.

CF, keep it up. You are doing fantastic work. Now if I could only resist the compulsion to check this site for updates every few minutes or so...

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 2222
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 3:47:31 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 5, 1943

Course: None
Attached to: TF 4
Mission: Air Combat
System Damage: 1
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 454

Orders: Await further orders

---

Captain Ishii also reads the Mainichi Shimbun editorial. When he is done he puts down the paper and speaks to Lieutenant Miharu, who is seated across the table from him.

“Did you read this piece calling on the Americans to stop fighting and negotiate peace with us, Exec?” he asks.

“Yes sir,” answers Miharu. “Very interesting, I thought. Those editorials are pretty much written by the government. It made me wonder if there was anything official to back it up.”

“I am sure that we would be delighted to negotiate an end to the war,” says Ishii. “That was always the plan, to carve out a defensive perimeter and hold it until the enemy is willing to negotiate. The question is, would the Americans ever entertain such an idea? I have heard you express the opinion in the past that you don’t think they will stop fighting.”

The lieutenant puts down his cup. “I think,” he says, speaking carefully, “that they will be much more reluctant to stop this war than most of us suppose. I believe they are capable of greater resolve than our leaders think, and their pride and honor have been severely stung.”

“So you do not think that peace is likely any time soon?” Ishii asks.

“Not likely, sir, no,” says the lieutenant. “But how can I say for certain? It is hard to judge the mood in America from the deck of a destroyer in the Marshall Islands! If they see victory as hopeless, then yes, I think they might negotiate.”

“Hopeless, hm?” muses the captain. “I don’t know if they are winning, but certainly their position doesn’t seem to be hopeless.”

“It doesn’t matter whether it is hopeless or not,” comments Lieutenant Miharu. “What matters is if they think it is.”

---

Excerpt from "Naval Battles of the Pacific, Volume 5: Decision" by Morris Elliot Samuelson; Harper, Row, and Fujimori, New York, 1965:

The pressure the Allied forces were exerting was beginning to be felt in Tokyo. By the beginning of October influential voices were suggesting that if Japan was to end the war on favorable terms it should be done soon. Among the voices was that of Admiral Yamamoto, who told Naval Minister Shimada “If you ask me to hold off the enemy for one more year I can do so. If you ask me to hold them off for two more years I will of course do my utmost, but I cannot foresee success.”

The biggest question was whether or not a proposal could be drafted that would be acceptable to the both the Allied powers of Britain, China, and America and to military hard-liners within Japan. These hawks, almost all of them within the Army, were loathe to give up any of Japan’s conquests and fiercely opposed any suggestions to that effect.

Under pressure from Prime Minister Tojo most of these hard-liners were persuaded to agree to at least open negotiations, with the understanding that their views would be heard. A working group was accordingly appointed by the Imperial War Cabinet to “test the waters” and see what, if any, terms might be acceptable to the Allies. The leader of the group was the former Prime Minister, Prince Konoye.

Konoye and the others worked swiftly. By the beginning of November a rough draft of the proposal known as the Greater East Asia Accords was ready. The outline of the proposal was broadcast on November 5 and by the next day copies were in the hands of the leaders of the Allied governments. The main points of the proposal were as follows:

1. An immediate cease-fire by all combatants.
2. Japan would retain all of her former possessions in the Pacific, with the addition of Guam, New Britain and New Ireland, the Solomons, and the Gilberts.
3. Japan would withdraw from the former Dutch East Indies. These territories would be granted independence.
4. Japan would withdraw from the Philippines, which would also be granted independence.
5. Singapore and Hong Kong would be returned to the British.
6. Japan would renounce all territory in China with the exception of Shanghai, which would become an open city under the administration of Japan.
7. Burma and French Indochina would be granted independence.
8. Recognition of Manchuoko as a Japanese province.
9. Resumption of open and unfettered trade between Japan and all other powers.

The major Japanese concession was in China. This was buffered by several sub clauses aimed at appeasing the militarists, including reparations by the Chinese and guarantees that the Communist forces in China would be disarmed by Nationalist, Japanese, and Allied forces.

Reception in America of these terms was mixed, to say the least. Henry Stimson rejected them out of hand. Roosevelt, for his part, had been sitting on a declaration that the only acceptable condition for the end of the war was unconditional surrender by the Axis powers. It was still sitting in his desk, waiting for the moment when the Allies’ military position was favorable enough to allow him to make such an announcement.

But there was strong support elsewhere for at least listening to the Japanese proposal. The perception was widespread that the war in the Pacific had so far been a failure. American and Commonwealth forces, as we have seen, had conquered eastern New Guinea and New Caledonia. But progress was slow and the Japanese fleet still ruled the seas. In Asia the British had remained stalled for months outside of Mandalay, while in China the Japanese had continued to occupy territory.

The issue was hotly debated by the public, in the press, and in Congress. Support for continuing the war was strong, but as Roosevelt wrote in a letter to Churchill, “If our carrier forces meet with defeat again I can see no end to this war.” In such a case, he recognized, he might have no choice but to open negotiations with the Japanese.

The Japanese too recognized that they might be one victory away from a successful conclusion to the war. The next carrier battle might well be the long-sought Decisive Battle.

Both sides, then, knew that they needed to fight soon, and to win. The result of this pressure was to be the greatest naval battle in history, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2223
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 4:22:22 AM   
Admiral DadMan

"Lizabeth!!! Oh this is the big one!!! I'm comin' to join ya honey!!!"

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2224
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 4:27:22 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 2225
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 5:21:56 AM   
John 3rd

It just isn't right posting that and then leave us HANGING!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 2226
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 6:47:19 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

Cuttlefish using dramatic foreshadowing to evil affect.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2227
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 4:20:39 PM   
ny59giants

Got yours??  

and then "maybe" some  

I got mine.

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 2228
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 4:25:50 PM   
Terminus

So it'll be the Great Santa Cruz Turkey Shoot...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2229
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 6:06:51 PM   
Lecivius

<Pops a nitro pill to steady the heart

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2230
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 7:37:02 PM   
histgamer

My prediction is somewhat of a draw. Both Sides lose 2 or so carriers and hundreds of planes but to the Japanese it will be a bitter blow... to the allies a blow but also one that gives hope because the japanese will withdraw and maybe the allies gain another group of islands.

Maybe it will be something like the Antietem of the Pacitic.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 2231
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 10:27:13 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

2. Japan would retain all of her former possessions in the Pacific, with the addition of Guam, New Britain and New Ireland, the Solomons, and the Gilberts.
3. Japan would withdraw from the former Dutch East Indies. These territories would be granted independence.
4. Japan would withdraw from the Philippines, which would also be granted independence.
6. Japan would renounce all territory in China with the exception of Shanghai, which would become an open city under the administration of Japan.

Very interesting -- although it leaves out the rest of the Malayan Peninsula. I don't know if the Japanese would have accepted the loss of the oil-rich areas in Borneo, Sumatra, and Java. The call for free trade would keep the oil flowing for a while, but the independent DEI would have grievances from the Japanese occupation, and might not agree to indefinite trade. I would also think that the British would feel bound to uphold the Free Dutch and Free French governments' interests, and refuse to unilaterally grant the colonies' independence.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2232
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 10:30:56 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Maybe it will be something like the Antietem of the Pacitic.

A very interesting analogy. Antietam (Sharpsburg) was the greatest one-day battle of the Civil War, and although tactically a draw it lead to a dramatic change in the contest: the issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation. Possibly this battle will lead to the Unconditional Surrender policy.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2233
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/22/2008 11:35:03 PM   
princep01

My guess is, given the relative positions of the belligerents, the time elapsed, and the relative generousity of the Japanese offer, peace is about to break out all over following the Japanese victory at Santa Cruz.  Hibiki's voyages will soon culminate in the victory procession back to Imperial Japan and we will have to find some lesser tale to peruse.

If so, it has been a most enjoyable journey, Mr. Cuttlefish.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2234
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/23/2008 2:25:37 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Very interesting -- although it leaves out the rest of the Malayan Peninsula. I don't know if the Japanese would have accepted the loss of the oil-rich areas in Borneo, Sumatra, and Java. The call for free trade would keep the oil flowing for a while, but the independent DEI would have grievances from the Japanese occupation, and might not agree to indefinite trade. I would also think that the British would feel bound to uphold the Free Dutch and Free French governments' interests, and refuse to unilaterally grant the colonies' independence.

I agree with you and think that neither Japan nor the Allies would be comfortable with the idea of granting full, immediate independence to anyone. The fine print of the proposal actually calls for a "transition" to independence. In the case of the DEI the Japanese would be the caretakers; the British, Americans, French, etc. would act in the same capacity in their own spheres of interest. Depending on the approach taken this would result in anything from full independence relatively quickly to a sham "free" government that is nothing more than a puppet of the sponsoring state. The latter, no doubt, is what the Japanese would aim for.

I think, though, that any powers slow to grant independence might find that they are in for the same sort of surprise the colonial powers received in real life when they tried to restore things to the way they were before the war.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 2235
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/23/2008 2:25:52 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 6, 1943

Fuel: 451

---

“You are going to read the ink right off those letters,” Shiro tells Riku. “How many times have you read them now, anyway?”

Riku looks up from his hammock. “I don’t know,” he says. “I’ve lost count.” He holds up one of the letters. “Look at those characters,” he says admiringly. “Does she not have a fine hand? Delicate and artistic, yet strong and decisive.”

Shiro grins. “She is Shun’s daughter,” he says. “I wouldl bet there is some steel under her fair exterior. Seriously, though, your children are going to want to see those letters some day. How many are you supposed to have, again?”

“Six,” says Riku. “The fortune teller said three girls and three boys.”

“Right,” says Shiro. “So when you are done reading those letters over and over, maybe sometime next summer, put them someplace safe.”

“Safe? We’re aboard a destroyer in the middle of the war. How can anyplace be safe?”

“Well, at least waterproof,” Shiro says. “That way if your broken, lifeless body is hauled out of the ocean the letters will be intact.”

Riku throws a shoe at Shiro. “You idiot,” he says amiably. “If I get killed there won’t be any children to care about the letters. Besides, that won’t happen. The fortune teller, remember?

“Oh yes,” says Shiro. “That’s right. Remind me to stick close to you if we get into trouble!”

“Not to worry,” says Riku. “We have Captain Ishii and Benzaiten to look out for us. Nothing is going to happen to this ship.”

As if aware her name has been spoken Benzaiten lifts her head above the rim of her crate by the bulkhead and regards Riku with unblinking eyes. Her tongue darts out once, then again, and then she subsides. The two men can hear a faint slithering noise from the crate as she settles back into a comfortable position. Shiro and Riku look at each other.

“There is a sign if I have ever seen one,” says Shiro after a moment.

“But what kind of sign?” says Riku. “Good, or bad?”

“Who can say?” Shiro answers.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2236
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/23/2008 2:46:32 AM   
tocaff

The build up...CF you're teasing us...

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2237
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/23/2008 9:47:24 PM   
histgamer

One could aruge tactically Sharpsburg was a victory of the south seeing as the Union attacked and didn't drive the CSA from the field. Lee even held his ground the following day without the Union attacking, though that was due to McClellan's own confidence problem. Though without making this a civil war topic I will say that McClellan was prolly the best union army commander when it came to battlefield tactics, not once did lee ever catch his army with its pants down. If he just had the ability of Grant to see his army take heavy losses he woulda won the war in 62. No other union commander prolly could have done that because the CSA was strong enough to take heavy losses in 62 and replace them, Grant wouldnt have won it then.

Well when i say win it i mean take richmond. you can debate if in 62 that would have lead to the end of the war or not.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2238
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/23/2008 11:46:29 PM   
tocaff

Nah, Americans are a stubborn lot that until recent history were good at ending wars.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2239
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 12:43:06 AM   
Barb

“Not to worry,” says Riku. “We have Captain Ishii and Benzaiten to look out for us. Nothing is going to happen to this ship.”
I had a VERY VERY VERY BAD FEELING about this...

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 2240
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 12:51:25 AM   
Terminus

I think that falls under the heading Famous Last Words, though whether it's Riku or the Hibiki that will go under remains to be seen.

It's easy to forget while we gorge ourselves on Cuttlefish's magnificent talent, but he's writing out the result of game turns. If the Hibiki was sunk in battle, then she has to go down.

Hopefully, he won't follow the Hollywood template that says an honourable death is impossible...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 2241
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 12:59:14 AM   
Skipjack

I thought it was about time for a Benzaiten cameo.   I too have a bad feeling - October 43 is not so favorable a time for the IJN to enter a carrier dual - Hellcats, Proximity fuses and BBs bristling with AA firepower - we will see how much the KB can do against that.  I'm thinking Hibiki should be ok - the IJN CVs should be the focus of enemy air action.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 2242
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 1:01:31 AM   
histgamer

Still in terms of planes the IJN will prolly have a 1-2 advantage with the advantage of more skilled pilots. I am hoping for at least a big explosive draw. Of course the IJN cannot afford draws seeing as they produce at something like 1-10th the rate of the allies.

(in reply to Skipjack)
Post #: 2243
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 1:43:48 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Still in terms of planes the IJN will prolly have a 1-2 advantage with the advantage of more skilled pilots. X(]

It is fun to speculate while we wait, but the Allied CV losses to this point I think are well over 10, while the IJN has yet to lose 1. Cuttlefish has already hinted that his carrier airgroups still include most of the pilots that made the initial strikes on Pearl Harbor. The Hellcat is good, but a zero flown by a couple hundred skill-90 pilots will still make it very ugly. There will be no "Santa Cruz Turkeyshoot"

Additionally, Cuttlefish has hinted that basically the whole IJN was in the area of operations very recently. If I recall correctly, I don't think the Allies have managed to sink a single IJN ship larger than a DD, or maybe a CL...And it is the end of 1943!

My guess, pretty close to the mythical "Decisive Victory"

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2244
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 3:19:24 AM   
John 3rd

Come on Cuttlefish!  The suspense is creating a GREAT amount of chaos...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 2245
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 7:12:04 AM   
histgamer

Allies got a battleship awhile ago. It was an older one though. The Yashimero or w/e it was.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2246
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/24/2008 6:32:14 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

Allies got a battleship awhile ago. It was an older one though. The Yashimero or w/e it was.

I missed that. Guess that means I should go back and re-read previous sections while we wait...

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 2247
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/25/2008 12:13:04 AM   
Cuttlefish

November 7, 1943

Fuel: 447

---

Riku’s search for replacement parts for the torpedo hoist take him south to the island of Kwajalein itself. It proves to be thirsty work, so around lunchtime he stops at a navy bar for a drink. This particular establishment, really just an oversized shack, is near the airfield there, and Riku finds himself in conversation with the pilot of a G4M bomber whose unit has just arrived from Luganville.

“We didn’t wait around,” the pilot is telling him. “As soon as we got reports that enemy planes were flying into Noumea we got out of there. Good thing, too. They say that the next day our airbase was flattened by their bombers.”

“I heard you guys did some good work there, though,” says Riku.

The pilot finishes his drink and calls for another. “Yeah, we did all right for a while,” he says. “Those new carrier fighters of theirs are murder, but they can’t be everywhere at once. We learned pretty quick that if we went in low and in small numbers we could find a transport or something, score a hit, and get out of there safely.” He picks up the new drink and stares into the glass. “I lost some friends, though. We’re at about half strength now.”

“That’s rough,” says Riku sympathetically.

The pilot nods. “It’s war, though, what do you expect? We’ll get back up to strength while we’re here. New planes and crew. I like the new Model 22 planes we’re getting, but the pilots? What a joke! They don’t know a propeller from a lateral stabilizer. Most of them are lucky if they can land without wrecking the plane.”

“That’s a hard way to learn the job,” Riku admits.

“Yes it is,” says the pilot. “Still, I don’t envy you sailors. I get sick every time I’m on a ship. But I’ll bet it’s safer.”

“Probably,” says Riku. “It isn’t all that safe, though. I’ve already been wounded once,” he adds, with just a touch of pride.

“Really?” says the pilot. “Where?”

“Off Borneo, back in the first month of the war,” says Riku.

The pilot laughs. “No, I meant where was the injury?”

“Oh,” says Riku. “Right here.” He indicates his shoulder. “I took a piece of shrapnel.”

The pilot looks sympathetic and lifts his glass. “Here’s to peace and quiet and keeping a whole skin,” he says.

“I’ll drink to that,” says Riku, and does.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2248
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/25/2008 2:54:43 AM   
histgamer

Poor Japanese.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 2249
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 2/25/2008 7:48:03 AM   
Tupolev

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace
It is fun to speculate while we wait, but the Allied CV losses to this point I think are well over 10, while the IJN has yet to lose 1. Cuttlefish has already hinted that his carrier airgroups still include most of the pilots that made the initial strikes on Pearl Harbor. The Hellcat is good, but a zero flown by a couple hundred skill-90 pilots will still make it very ugly. There will be no "Santa Cruz Turkeyshoot"

Wonderfully written AAR, Cuttlefish!!!

But I'm just wondering how you get so many skill-90 pilots at this late stage of the war. Can you get them with regular naval air combat ops and careful management or do you need a special training program for them too?

Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI