Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MLB's Current Alignment -- Why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/28/2008 7:41:22 PM   
KG Erwin

Is there some weird economic reason for MLB's unbalanced setup? Most would probably agree that a more balanced alignment would be for Milwaukee to switch to the AL Central, with Kansas City moving to the AL West.

I've heard no rumors of further expansion, so why this odd 16/14 setup?

Post #: 1
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/28/2008 7:56:52 PM   
dzanr

There's one reason: As part of the 1995 strike settlement that created the bogus 3-division per league, the inequity that is inter-league play, and the purely-financially-motivated Division Sereis with a wild card team, Bud Selig insisted that the Milwaukee franchise be returned to its "rightful" league.  Nobody with enough influence seemed to care that in doing so we now have 1 six-team division 4 five-team divisions, and 1 four-team division.

In Selig's mind, his Brewers franchise, born entirely from the old Seattle Pilots in 1970, was really the reincarnantion of the Boston/Milwaukee Braves, and thus had to be in the NL to preserve the rightful order of the baseball universe.  Ridiculous, IMO. 

Just another reason not to like Bud Selig.      

DZ  

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/28/2008 9:24:45 PM   
Bustoff

quote:

ORIGINAL: dzanr

Just another reason not to like Bud Selig.

DZ

Like we needed another one?

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to dzanr)
Post #: 3
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/28/2008 10:28:41 PM   
GNDN

I think one of the shortest threads would be "Things to like about Bud Selig (Owners not allowed to post)"

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 4
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/28/2008 11:18:27 PM   
cdvalenta

Like the other guys said... two words... Bud Selig

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 5
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/29/2008 12:26:32 AM   
KG Erwin

So, this was solely due to Selig's intransigence? Shoulda figured that. I suppose he conveniently forgot that Milwaukee was an AL franchise in 1901? Of course, THAT team was replaced by St. Louis in 1902.

The Brewers an heir of the Braves? That logic is completely groundless.

Does this also mean that no NL owner has expressed interest in moving to the AL?

Washington was never in consideration as an AL expansion team? That always seemed bizarre to me. I would've thought that the Senators would be reborn.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/29/2008 1:11:14 AM   
Crapgame54

The reason for the 16-14 split is so that "inter-league" play can be scheduled in blocks. If both leagues had 15 teams one series would always have to be an inter-league series. This would not bother me, but the MLB bigwigs were against it. With both leagues having an even number of teams everyone can play a same-league opponent on the same day.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 1/29/2008 4:39:51 AM   
motnahp

I'm still trying to figure out how the ACC justified splitting Florida State and Miami into different divisions for football. Could they have made it any MORE obvious what matchup they would prefer to see every year in their championship game?

Too bad their setup has failed miserably. Both teams have spiraled downhill ever since! That's what they get for trying to copy the SEC.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 2/25/2008 6:44:57 AM   
Jam_USMC

I have heard locally, in Missouri, that one of the reasons it was the Brewers who moved to the NL instead of the Royals was that when the Royals were asked if they would like to move (and thereby take part in the geographic rivalry with St. Louis) their reply was that they would rather host host the Yankees and Red Sox once a year--the only times they sell out the stadium-- than change leagues and never have a full stadium.

Just checking this place out and felt I could add my 2 cents. BTW have Baseball Mogul '07, is this game better? Of course you will say it is, but how is it better?

"Before we're through with 'em, the AI language will be spoken only in Hell!"

(in reply to motnahp)
Post #: 9
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 2/25/2008 9:58:41 PM   
Bustoff

Jam_USMC, let me start off this sub-thread by answering your question: I don't know. I've never played Baseball Mogul, but I'm sure there are others on the board who have and who can (and will) be more specific.

That said, I strongly encourage you to give PS a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. The game itself never, never gets old, the developer is a hands-on guy who actually reads and replies to your posts, and the PS community itself is peopled with intelligent, helpful people who can help you get the most out of your PS experience. The total package is an incredible bargain.

If you need more convincing, I recommend hanging out here on the board for a while. Read some of the posts and see what we (and PS) are all about.

Welcome aboard!

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation." -- Satchel Paige

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 10
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 2/25/2008 11:59:49 PM   
Jam_USMC

Bustoff, I stayed up way too late last night perusing this board and you are absolutely correct about the type of folks who hang out here. And I must say that Erwin really starts a lot of interesting topics--which are followed by interesting responses. I am going to look into into this one and do some research on my own instead of asking you guys to answer a list of the same 'ol questions about the game.

Btw, my dad hit me with this one a couple of years ago and had me doubled over in laughter: He said he was going to record one of Shannon's home run calls to use for his alarm clock, "Get up, get up, get up-- get up, baby!"

"Before we're through with 'em, the AI language will be spoken only in Hell!"

(in reply to Bustoff)
Post #: 11
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 2/26/2008 12:21:53 AM   
KG Erwin

Oh, man, I feel flattered. I think it's obvious that I'm a student and fan of the USMC.

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 12
RE: MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? - 2/26/2008 12:48:43 AM   
motnahp

This is a little eerie....I spent 2 1/2 years on board the USS Guadalcanal in the late 1980's. We were always ready to give the Marines a ride wherever they needed to go.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> MLB's Current Alignment -- Why? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI