Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just when I thought EA was going good

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just when I thought EA was going good Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 12:24:53 AM   
marcusm

They decide to play bad

By buying out Take2 (or attempting to).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/854/854652p1.html

If this continues then Matrixgames will soon be the only competitor to EA hehe.

Btw. This would essentially mean that Sid Meier and Will Wright work for the same employer. This has some potential ;).

< Message edited by marcusm -- 2/26/2008 12:27:44 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 12:28:39 AM   
Grell

Hi Marcusm,

Your link is not working, but from what you said I am to gather that EA attempted to take over Take 2. Hehe, now I've heard it all. They are going to take over Microsoft at this rate.

Thank God for Matrix Games!

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 2
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 12:55:14 AM   
marcusm

Here is another link and yes that is exactly what they are trying to do. Hostile bid even, hence my title ;).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186637.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

I hope someone else like Activision goes in and makes it slightly harder for EA by raising the bid.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 3
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 1:21:14 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

Hi Marcusm,

Your link is not working, but from what you said I am to gather that EA attempted to take over Take 2. Hehe, now I've heard it all. They are going to take over Microsoft at this rate.

Thank God for Matrix Games!

Regards,

Grell

Ha, you don't think David Heath and company would sell-out if he got some ridiculous offer for Matrix Games?

I'd wager he's already had some serious offers to mull over.....

Well, if he does, he better use his newfound millions to start an even greater wargaming company.....

"If you want peace, prepare for war."

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 4
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 2:11:22 AM   
Canoerebel

Don't even think such a horrid thought.  A buy-out would mean a non-compete clause.  We'd be out of a great gaming company and forum operator.  It would be like a great local restaurant or nice hardward store getting bought out by a mammoth chain.  Yikes.

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 5
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 4:31:55 AM   
cdbeck

AFAIK, Take2 rebuffed EA's attempt. This may not be final though.

I for one think this could be terrible. EA made a recent statement recognizing that they made huge mistakes with some of the Intellectual Property that they acquired from Origin, Westwood, and the like. I still have hope for Will Wright's group, even though they COMPLETELY botched SimCity Societies by giving it to Tilted Mill (such a disappointment, I had such huge hopes). I don't want Sid and Will together, competition is the fuel of innovation.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 6:06:31 AM   
ravinhood

Are you kidding??!! Can't you just imagine Sid and Will making a SIMS CIVILIZATION game where you get to build a DYNASTY (kings/queens/and all that stuff) as well as advancing through time?!!! This is exactly what I've wanted Paradox to do with Crusader Kings engine except make it from beginning of time to whenever. Just have more family events and stuff like Crusader Kings has and a civilization type game. I hope EA gets them I'm sure we could then see SIMS RAILROAD TYCOON and SIMS GETTYSBURG haha and SIMS CIVILIZATION and SIMS ALPHA CENTAURI (oh wait that's what SPORES is going to be) ;) SIMS PIRATES GOLD. ;) Course we already have an insight to this coupling you have heard of SID MEIERS SIM GOLF RIGHT? ;)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 7
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 7:11:52 AM   
cdbeck

I liked Sim Golf, fwiw. 

It would never happen like that RH. Will Wright is actually an alien, and no longer interacts with the likes of Sid Meier. I believe actually that Will Wright has "grown tired" of his old design types, like the Sims, SimCity , etc., because he has passed them on to others to "upkeep." Spore has been consuming his time, and I hope it will be well worth it. I remember how revolutionary The Sims was when it first came out, it was an unbelievable change to my perspective regarding gaming. Sure, the novelty wore off after a while, and then they started to come out with expansion after expansion that started to get just silly. I'm hoping Spore will have that same near endless appeal.

Even good ole' Sid doesn't much work in his traditional developer role. That Soren guy headed up Civ IV, and I haven't seen much of Sid in the gaming news. A pity, because Civ was the beginning of my foray into simulation gaming, with a more complex goal set than the other games I was playing at the time (like nintendo games, Commander Keen, and Duke Nukem).

I miss the old Richard Garriott. EA really screwed up his stuff. Sometimes I think about Ultima X and just sigh... there was such potential there, completely missed and turned to vapor. Tabula Rasa is fine, but it isn't classic Garriott.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 1:37:25 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I miss the old Richard Garriott. EA really screwed up his stuff. Sometimes I think about Ultima X and just sigh... there was such potential there, completely missed and turned to vapor. Tabula Rasa is fine, but it isn't classic Garriott.

SoM

EA is the devil!

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 9
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 2:11:37 PM   
Grell

quote:

EA is the devil!

LOL well said!

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 3:19:25 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Ha, you don't think David Heath and company would sell-out if he got some ridiculous offer for Matrix Games?

Can you imagine, say Gary Grigsby, in EA development meetings?
"I began this business when you were still in diapers!"

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 11
RE: Just when I thought EA was going good - 2/26/2008 9:00:35 PM   
Armygrognard

EA is satan.

Everything they release needs massive patching. And sometimes patches for the patches. And multiple re-installs.

(in reply to marcusm)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Just when I thought EA was going good Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI