Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any one know any decent war novel?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Any one know any decent war novel? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any one know any decent war novel? - 9/22/2000 4:42:00 AM   
Toey

I have read Red Storm Rising, Red Army (by Ralph Peters), Vortex and Cauldron (by Larry Bond), Team Yankee and all the follow books. I have also read a few Sven Hassell novels. And the book about the Bridge to Far. I also read Where Eagles Dare. I have tried a few libraries in my area, but can’t seem to find any more decent war books. I’m interested in Modern Wars, and WW2 infantry/Tank warfare. I’m reading Secret Solider at the moment. It’s about the Israelis. Thanks guys!

Post #: 1
- 9/22/2000 4:44:00 AM   
Toey

OOPS, sorry for the double post, my PC locked up! I feel like such an idiot! Sorry! Can the Admin delete one of the threads?

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 2
- 9/22/2000 4:52:00 AM   
Drake

I found "With Rommel In The Desert" by Heinz Werner Schmidt, a aide-de-camp to rommel for a time before getting a battlefield commission very good. I found my copy in a second hand book store, very good place to find books like this.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2000 5:37:00 AM   
Fabs

A good war novel that'll keep you busy for a while is "The forgotten soldier" by Guy Sajer. It has the added attraction of being autobiographical. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 4
- 9/22/2000 5:49:00 AM   
Don

"The Forgotten Soldier" is a must read! Right now I'm finishing "Stalingrad" by Anthony Beevor - excellent book! Try also "The Longest Day" by Ryan, and "The Armies of Rommel" by George Forty. Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 5
- 9/22/2000 5:51:00 AM   
Grumble

"Company Commander" written by an American veteran of the Ardennes Campaign, Charles Brown MacDonald. Outstanding textbook of leadership at the tactical level. "Das Boot", by Lothar Gunther Bueckheim. Book that the movie was based on. "Arnhem, 1944" by Martin Middlebrook. Much better history than "Bridge Too Far". "Panzer Commander" by Col Hans von Luck. "Panzer Battles" by von Mellinthin. Outstanding. Battles are very well explained and conclusions clearly drawn. "Lost Victories" by Erich von Manstein. If you're into analysis of "why": "Stumbling Collossus" by Glantz. "Kursk" by the same author. To be honest I think he underestimates the chances of the Germans to win (Stalin tried to surrender twice after all-which he doesn't discuss) but excellent research using E German and ex-Soviet archives. "Finland in Peace & War" MH Tillotsen.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 6
- 9/22/2000 6:15:00 AM   
jpkeenan

The Thin Red Line is still my alltime favorite WWII novel. Written in the 60s I think , but still an incredible read. JPKeenan

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 7
- 9/22/2000 6:17:00 AM   
victorhauser

One of the best WWII novels (as opposed to historical textbooks) I've read is "Cross of Iron". There is also a series of novels I enjoyed years ago and I've forgotten the author, but they are the "Gunner Asch" series of novels. I think there are a half-dozen novels or so in the series. They are probably out of print and probably hard to find, but they are very much like German versions of Catch-22 concerning a Wehrmacht anti-tank gunner named Asch. One title I remember in the series is "Forward, Gunner Asch!". If you can find them, I rpomise you will enjoy them.

VAH

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 8
- 9/22/2000 6:20:00 AM   
Toey

Thanks for the responces so far. I too have read the Thin Red Line. It was very good and I was very very disapointed with the movie when it came out. I'll pop into the city at lunch time and scour the second hand books stores and let you know what I find.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 9
- 9/22/2000 10:51:00 AM   
Elvis

If you want a good read about modern warfare, try "Blackhawk Down" by Mark Bowden. Excellent work of non-fiction describing the 1993 Task Force Ranger fiasco in Mogadishu, Somalia. Bowden is an excellent writer - I read the entire 345 page book in 2 evenings. I spent 6 months in Somalia during 1992-93, and was impressed that he really did his homework on this one. ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 10
- 9/22/2000 11:06:00 AM   
Ed James

I just finished "War of the Rats", by David Robbins. Excellent novelized account of the famous sniper duel between the top Soviet sniper (Zaitsev) and the best German sniper (Thorvald). It took place during Stalingrad.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 11
- 9/22/2000 12:22:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

The trail of the fox by david irving is a good read. A bridge too far and the last battle by cornelius ryan are good ones too.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 12
- 9/22/2000 12:56:00 PM   
Supervisor

My favorites The Cross of Iron The Crack of Doom both by Willi Heinrich Night of the Generals-Hans Helmut Kirst The Blue Max ------------------ Grenadier SPWAW Beta Team

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 13
- 9/22/2000 1:17:00 PM   
Randy

A new book in paperback is Proud Legions, by Lt. Col John Antal (he's written Armor Attacks, Infantry Combat, Combat Team). This book is current, about a battalion task force in Korea. Good info on M1A1 tactics. In the next couple of months are two new books on German Paratropers (Hitler's Sky Warriors:German Paratroopers in Action 1939-1945-by Ailsby, and German Paratroopers:The History of the Fallschirmjager in WWII-by Motorbooks International. Another new book is Marines Under Armor-by Lt Col. Estes. I think these would make good stocking stuffers for Christmas. Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 14
- 9/22/2000 4:46:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

The Blue Max: i didn't read the book but loved the movie. cool stuff.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 15
- 9/22/2000 5:25:00 PM   
Fredde

"Unknown soldier", original title "Tuntematon Sotilas" (sp?), written by the finnish author Väinö Linna must be one of the all-time best war novels. Very realistic writing. Perhaps difficult to get for you in the USA but worth it. Also exists in two very good movie versions (with the older one beating the newer).

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 16
- 9/22/2000 5:48:00 PM   
Toey

I found a great Military book store at lunch time today. All sorts of books from BC warfare to modern counter terrorist units. If anyone is from Melbourne, let me know and I'll tell you where to find the book shop.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 17
- 9/22/2000 6:03:00 PM   
Rickenbacker

quote:

Originally posted by Fabs: A good war novel that'll keep you busy for a while is "The forgotten soldier" by Guy Sajer.
Was he a german soldier on the east front? If so I've read it and it's excellent. I don't seem to have read a lot of WW2 books, but some gems follow: "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNab "The one that got away" by Chris Ryan "Das Boot" by Lothar Gunther Bucheim The first two are about the same mission during the Gulf War, though seen from different perspectives, which is pretty interesting if you read both. The third is about a german submarine during WW2, and is probably one of the best war novels ever written. If you're into flying I can also recommend "Fly for your life" by Robert Stanford Tuck and "Yeager" by Chuck Yeager and Leo Janos. ------------------ Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 18
- 9/22/2000 7:05:00 PM   
zombie

Regarding the `forgotten soldier` by Sajer, i read an article by an ex-GD vet who said the book was utter nonsense, he thinks it was written by a French author. It was pretty persausive,if i can find it i can post the relevant points here if anybody is interested. War of the rats also has my vote for a great read and if you are interested in artillery at all read the series by Geogre Blackburn, The guns of normandy,victory and where the hell are the guns, its a bout a Canadian FO from before the start of the war to the finish.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 19
- 9/22/2000 9:13:00 PM   
Supervisor

This has been reputed by the author of the History of the PanzerKorps Grossdeutschland, Helmut Spaeter, who agrees that Sajer did serve in the division. Look at the German Army in WW2 site for a complete description of the controversy
quote:

Originally posted by zombie: Regarding the `forgotten soldier` by Sajer, i read an article by an ex-GD vet who said the book was utter nonsense, he thinks it was written by a French author. It was pretty persausive,if i can find it i can post the relevant points here if anybody is interested. War of the rats also has my vote for a great read and if you are interested in artillery at all read the series by Geogre Blackburn, The guns of normandy,victory and where the hell are the guns, its a bout a Canadian FO from before the start of the war to the finish.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 20
- 9/22/2000 10:37:00 PM   
MikeToth

A new non-fiction book about the Battle of the Huertgen Forest by Gerald Astor.... ... he is excellent in his re-creations via interviews by the guys that were there.. Mike Cleveland Ohio USA

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 21
- 9/22/2000 10:38:00 PM   
MikeToth

Oh yeah - the name of the book is "The Bloody Forest" (by Gerald Astor) amazon.com has it........ I think it's 23 dollars and some change Mike

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 22
- 9/23/2000 9:39:00 AM   
Tony

"Enemy At The Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad" by William Craig. This isn't a novel, but for my money it's still one of the best war books ever. Unique in that it covers the "big picture" of the battle for Stalingrad, as well as the "little picture"--the battle as it was experienced by individual soldiers on both sides. It reads like a novel. I read it 25 years ago and still come back to it often. Tony

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 23
- 9/23/2000 4:06:00 PM   
jahahr

Try this: The Forgotten Soldier By: Guy Sajer

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 24
- 9/23/2000 4:14:00 PM   
jahahr

Oops, a little late on that post...... Here's an option: Patton: A Genius For War by Carlo D'este

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 25
- 9/23/2000 4:16:00 PM   
jahahr

And if that doesn't work........ For Esme', With Love and Squalor by JD Salinger

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 26
- 9/23/2000 8:33:00 PM   
Dave_R

If you can still get a copy I recomend 'Don't cry for me Seargent Major' It's about the British Army in the Falklands War. It's not a stratgy history, it's told very much from the 'Grunts' on the ground perspective. It's quite humourous in a black sort of way, and leaves the reader wondering just how the hell we managed to get back on the islands as it lists cock up after cock up!

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 27
- 9/25/2000 4:59:00 AM   
Sgt Popov

A wonderful book I have really enjoyed is Panzer Battles of the Waffen SS, by Will Fey Very hard to find. The only way I know how to obtain this book is from the publisher, JJ. Fedorowicz, located in Canada. I do believe they have a website too http://www.escape.ca/~jjfpub/. Anyway they have quite the selection of non-fiction WWII books. Although very pricey, the quality and content more than makes up for it! If you are like me (a book collecting WWII enthusiast) they will prove to be a find. ------------------ When the enemy is weak, attack--Sun Tzu

- Sergeant, what should I do if my parachute won't open?
- Bring it back and I'll replace it.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 28
- 9/25/2000 5:12:00 AM   
Jsherfy

My all time favorite Military Novels are Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson....deals with an RAF fighter squadron in 1939 to 1940. The BBC made an excellent production of it. He has a new book out now call "Hornets Sting" which I just finished and I recommend it to. Robinson is truly great a drawing characters. A Midnight Clear by William Wharton...also made into an excellent movie. Set during the Bulge. Great book and Great movie. Seven Men from Gascony by RF Delderfield. Excellent Napleonic Novel. If you like the period this is one of only a handful of novels I have found on the subject. All three of these books have one thing in common...great characters. THe characters carry the story. A Good place to find Piece of Cake and Seven Men is at Bibliofind.com. Hornets Sting is new so try Barnes and Noble or Amazon. You can even read an excerpt at Harvill.com the publishers web site.

Joe

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 29
- 9/25/2000 7:57:00 AM   
Major Ed

For historical information anything by S.L.A. Marshall. I really like Nightdrop, about parachute operations during D-Day. He also wrote about small unit actions during Korea and Vietnam. On the East Front Paul Carrell's Hitler Move East and Scorched Earth cover that theater in great detail. For fiction I enjoy W.E.B. Griffin's series - The Brotherhood of War and The Corps.

(in reply to Toey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Any one know any decent war novel? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI