Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The National Pastime Association Blog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: The National Pastime Association Blog Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 2/4/2008 4:35:35 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

...But For Some People, It Is

In a recent press release, the Havanna Galleons have detailed those members who will not be returning next year:

Brickhouse Jones: Not much a surprise, the club's intentions were made official today when they stated that Jones will not be returning.

Kevin Tijerina: Already labeled a 'gamble', Tijerina's future with the club is no longer in doubt. It was made clear that Havanna will not persue the setup man/closer.

Mo Wilson: A tough loss, Havanna has no plans to resign their talented CF. Best wishes are with him as there is no doubt he will find another home where his talents can be fairly utilized.

Mark Marshall: Rocky from the beginning, the relationship between the Galleons and Marshall has come to an end. The reliever will enter the Free Agent market this year and can rest assured that Havanna will not be in his list of suitors.

Alejandro Timo: Another who will be difficult to let go, Timo and Havanna have parted ways. Timo was not a fit for the Galleons at this time, but should do well wherever he decides to go.

Johnnie O'Connor: This talented CF has recently expressed uncertainty about his overall future in the sport. Regardless of whether he decides to remain or not, it will not be as a Galleon.

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 2/4/2008 4:36:06 PM >

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 61
RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 2/4/2008 4:46:04 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Parker, Queiroga & McDaniel

Sure sounds like a law firm, doesn't it? I must confess that I am not sure how I want to proceed with these guys. A lot of different scenarios run through my head but I just can't put my finger on any one of them. For example...

• Resign Queiroga to third base, let Parker go, McDaniel is brought back as the DH. McDaniel can cover 2B if needed & a ton of salary is freed up with the release of Parker. This keeps the team history intact, but history doesn't win games.

• Resign McDaniel, move him to third base and don't resign Queiroga. McDaniel is a better fielder than Queiroga, but at the same time he's not a GREAT fielder. Should he be trusted at third? Parker would be kept at DH, since he's an amazing hitter but a horrible catcher.

• Keep Queiroga at third base, let McDaniel go and keep Parker as full-time DH. Parker hit .350 with 22 HRs and 92 RBI in 125 games. Imagine if he played about another 40? Queiroga has proven to be a bitter hitter in the long run than McDaniel, but he could be ready for a drop. Would it have been a greater or lesser drop than McDaniel?

• Don't sign anyone. Let them all go to Free Agency and let the mighty dollar filter out who's the worthy re-sign.

• Don't sign anyone. Look for a new, younger DH, promote from within. Parker and Queiroga will be 36 next year, McDaniel will turn 34. Parker's potential is the highest (58-), followed by Queiroga (36-) and then McDaniel (6), but at those ages, will that really matter?

Damn these decisions...

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 2/4/2008 4:47:28 PM >

• Post #: 62
    RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 2/5/2008 3:31:53 PM   
    Frozen Stiffer

Big Decision Update

So I was thinking about something this morning before I got dressed; McDaniel's EYEs. One thing I've learned from my experience in running a ball club like the Havanna Galleons is that, offensively, the first thing to go is a player's EYEs. As they age, their abilities all begin to decline- there's no surprise there. Also, there's an even chance that any one area could crumble faster than the other. However, I've observed that more often than not, a hitter's EYE usually takes the biggest hit, followed by their ability to make CONTACT and then how much POWER they can deliver. All-around, I would say that their fielding skills (HANDS) get a raw deal and are almost always the real first-to-go. From the batting standpoint though, it's usually the hitter's EYE that plummets first and farthest.

So looking at that, and based from the latest medical exams and physicals we have on file for the players, I find that Parker has the sharpest vision (EYE: 74), Queiroga is next-best (EYE: 70) and McDaniel, well... McDaniel's EYEs aren't what they used to be (EYE: 53). This makes me think that even if all three suffered, say... a generous aging penalty (a 7-point loss), McDaniel's EYEs would be in poor shape (EYE: assumed at 46). That's not good for a hitter. Now, if McDaniel were a better fielder, I could easily justify accepting the offensive drop because he can still field cleanly. Well, that's not the case. He's better than Queiroga, but only slightly.

In order to have a fair shot at learning third base, McDaniel would have to be a much greater fielder than he currently is. When you consider that improvement at this age (33yo) is, I feel, highly unlikely, you realize that he's as good as he's going to get. Even being slightly better than Queiroga defensively (McD/Q HANDS: 57/50, McD/Q RANGE: 46/61, McD/Q ARM: 47/41), he's far behind Queiroga offensively. When judging between a slightly better fielder vs. a much better bat, I'm thinking of leaning towards the better bat. Dilemma 1 resolved; McDaniel cannot be moved to third.

Looking now at strictly offensive capability, McDaniel cannot compete with Parker. In all the key fields, Parker holds anything from a slight to a significant advantage (CON: +24 points higher, POW: +17 points higher, EYE: +21 points higher). Though the difference is less when comparing Parker to Queiroga, Hugo still doesn't hit harder, better, or more often than Royce. So, there's no argument here- Parker will remain as DH. Dilemma 2 resolved; McDaniel will not be the DH.

It sure looks like these dilemma resolutions have, by process of elimination, made the decision for me. I'm going to attempt to resign Queiroga and Parker. McDaniel will not be actively pursued. The reason I say actively, is because, should he still be available after Free Agency, or willing to sign for an affordable, bargain price, his return will be considered.

::sigh::

It sucks when you realize that someone you like so much is going away. What makes it hurt the most is knowing that you could stop it if you wanted to, but you're choosing not to. Granted, the choice came after a lot of thought, reasoning, logic and a little math, but still... it was a choice. Your choice; and you chose to let him go. That's the thing about managing all your team's games and playing that team for so many game (and real) years- you get attached to these bits of code and information. Odd universe, no?

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 2/5/2008 3:33:50 PM >

Post #: 63
    RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 2/5/2008 3:48:44 PM   
    Frozen Stiffer

News Update: Havanna Signings

The Havanna Galleons came to terms with two of its star hitters yesterday.

• Fourteen-year veteran third baseman Hugo Queiroga, who spent the last 13 with Havanna signed a 2-year $10.9 million contract extension. Queiroga had expressed an interest to eventually retire with the Galleons, and now this 2-year agreement increases the chances that he will get his wish. The deal was a compromise reached by the team and Guy Smiley, Queiroga's agent. Originally offered just a 1-year pact, a 2nd year was negotiated for by Smiley, in exchange for a price drop. Queiroga is coming off a 1-year extension where he earned $16.5 million. Though he posted record low numbers last year, it's plain to see that both parties are confident he will rebound.

• Slugger Royce Parker has agreed to a contract extension for 2 years at $15 million per year. Phil Sneade, Parker's agent, was pleased with the deal, adding that Havanna's confidence in Parker was greatly appreciated and will be justly rewarded. Havanna's original 1-year $14.9 million deal, containing a no-trade clause, was rejected. Sneade and Bobby Gonzalez, Galleon General Manager, sat down and worked on a longer agreement. In the end, a 2-year deal was fashioned. In exchange for removing the no-trade clause, the new pact includes various performance and appearance incentives that could bump the overall price of the deal to just over $16 million. "He showed us what he could do in one year. I would have been a fool not to see what he could do in two more", Gonzalez said to reporters.

• Post #: 64
    RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 3/2/2008 10:31:03 PM   
    Frozen Stiffer

The National Pastime Association is currently on HOLD. I have encountered an off-season error that corrupts the Amateur Draft stage and effectively brings the game to a grinding halt. I have forwarded this to Shaun and have left it in his hands for now.

As soon as this issue is resolved, I will happily continue the reporting. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding!

Post #: 65
    RE: The National Pastime Association Blog - 3/4/2008 10:59:55 PM   
    Triggur

FS,

I was an owner of one of your failed associations, I was going to manage San Antonio and I was posting blogs similar to what you are posting here.  My question is what happened to that association.  Did it just die because of the technical issues?

Nice blog BTW,

Mikel

Post #: 66
    Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: The National Pastime Association Blog Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI