Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #1 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #1 - 4/2/2001 9:34:00 PM   
Wild Bill

SCENARIO DESIGN-GETTING STARTED (Note: Check at the end of each article for "Tips" for advanced scenario designers) Well, my hearties! It's time to start. We are beginning our first class on scenario design. This one is open to all, aspiring designers and veterans of the art. Where do we begin? We begin with an attitude and a desire. The attitude is positive. "I can do this!" And you can. Believe it. When this is over, you'll not only believe it, you'll know it. The desire is to be creative. Any healthy human being loves to be creative. A wargamer and a lover of military history wants to create. He wants to create or recreate the feeling of battle, what is like to be there, to command, to make decisions and live by them, good or bad. So where do we begin? We begin by choosing something to create. Let's create a battle in World War II, using SPWAW as our tool. I'll give you principles and ideas. You use them in practice. The first major step in building a scenario is - CHOOSE YOUR BATTLE. I could choose one but it might not be one that you particularly care to work on. So choose your own. Let me suggest here that you pick something that appeals to you. It might be a big or small battle. And be specific. Not just the Battle of the Bulge, or Kursk, which are actually hundreds of small battles. Pick one. Or at least pick a big one from which you'll make your small one. Remember, SPWAW is battalion sized or smaller battles. We are not after size here. Of course, it can be hypothetical. Even so, you would want it within the parameters of a particular time and place. So research is important either way. ------------- 1. This brings me to my first rule. Size is NOT important. "Bigger" is not always "better." It is more difficult to create a small battle than it is a big one. In a big one you can cover mistakes. You can't do that very well in a small one. What area appeals to you? Pacific, Western Europe, North Africa, East Front? From there be more specific. Or is there a particular fight you've always wanted to see in Steel Panthers? Well, why don't you make it? This will mean some research. You will need to get some background information on the battle. Where do you get that? Lots of places. Many internet sites offer good info on battles of World War II, some of them based on specific units, such as the 101st Airborne, or the Das Reich Division. Look on the web. Or, go to your local library. Look over there military history section. See what you can find. Or, if you have a friend or relative with books on WW2 military history, check on what they might have. Visit some of the online bookstores, and see what they have and what it costs. Here are some with search engines. And many of them will look for a book for you for free. http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/aberdeen/ http://www.abebooks.com/ http://www.amazon.com http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/bookshelf/shelf_topics.asp http://www.shop.pbs.org http://www.scholarsbookshelf.com/ http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/WW2-List.htm http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/ http://www.afterthebattle.mcmail.com/home.htm http://www.merriam-press.com/ http://www.pacificapress.com/ http://www.rzm.com/magazines/atb/atbmap.cfm http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/world_war_2 You can also get free catalogs from the following bookstores in the mail simply by calling or writing. Barnes and Noble: Books by Mail 1 Pond Road, Rockleigh, NJ 07647 1-800-843-2665 THe Scholar's Bookshelf 110 Melrich Road Cranbury NJ 08512 (No 800 #) Miitary book Club 505 Ridge Ave Hanover, Pa 17332 317-541-8920 Zenith Books Box 1, Osceola, Wi 54020 1-800-826-6600 E.R. Hamilton Falls Village, CT 06031 (This guy has fantastic prices on books but you'll have to write and request the catalog. It is worth it.) If you can't find in one of these, you probably can't find it period! :D So this week, just find you a battle you want to recreate. 2. The next thing you want to do is to begin thinking about how to recreate this battle in the game. Read about the battle. Picture it in your mind. Think of what it might look like in SPWAW or any other SP game. Get a feeling for what was happening. ----------------- Now remember, we are going to create a small to medium sized battle. So we may have to improvise part of the way. We will make a small section of the bigger battle. If you pick one, post it here. See if there are suggestions from others on that subject. Let's get started. Next week, Taking the First Steps to doing a battle. HOMEWORK Every week, I am going to give you some homework. I can't make you do it , but I hope you will. I want you to write a text file that will give some background and details about your battle. This will be your text file for your scenario. It will also focus your thinking and limit your scenario. It will be your guide to making your own battle. We'll talk about how to fix it up and also the map editor in SPWAW. If you need some ideas, simply look at some of the intro texts in the scenarios in SPWAW. This will help you to figure out how to do yours. I'll see you right here then. Questions? Comments? Post them right here. Wild Bill (Next Week: "Making your Battlefield") TIPS FOR ADVANCED SCENARIO DESIGNERS ----------------- 1. You can make your leader a general by going to unit deploy screen for either side. Highlight your A0 unit(or any other unit where you want a general). Type "D" Click on leader ratings Click on "rank" Type in "10" Now you have a general in your force! This is how we make Rommel appear in numerous battles in Mega Campaign North Africa. ------------ 2. Never put objective hexes under an ammo dump or a command post. If you do the hex cannot be accessed when it is destroyed. Thus, the objective hex cannot be captured by the attacker.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 4/2/2001 10:50:00 PM   
lnp4668

Thanks WB, bookmarked the post.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 4/2/2001 11:09:00 PM   
Tankhead

Thanks Wild Bill! Added the article to my book of scenario designing by Wild Bill. :D Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 4/3/2001 12:01:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Homework.........grrrr :mad: Oh well. Nobody ever said school was gonna be easy. Here's a link to what looks like one of the best sites for WWII info. Primarily USA-forces, but extremely informative. Hyperwar on the Web: A Hypertext History of WWII. http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 4/3/2001 12:22:00 AM   
Don

quote:

Never put objective hexes under an ammo dump or a command post.
Boy, I found that one out the hard way! :eek: You start playing it and realize that you can never capture it! Doh! :)

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 4/3/2001 12:37:00 AM   
Don Doom

OK Herr Oberst. Another way to change the AO is to use Fred's wawed. Works very good for things like name,equipment changes. ;)

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 4/3/2001 1:58:00 AM   
Kilroy

Thanks Wild Bill, I'll follow you all the way! Creating a scenario and/or campaign that would be accepted by fellow gamers has always intrigued me. With your expertise and support, you've added even more for the SPwaw community. Greg Kilroy

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 4/3/2001 3:05:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks fellas, just laying the groundwork right now. Just like the foundation of a building, it "ain't" very pretty, but bear with me. We are going to get to the good parts. Without a foundation...well, you know. Keep thinking about the one you want to do. Relive it. Read about it. Think about it. Picture it in SPWAW. That is where you start. I appreciate the good support. We'll keep this going...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 4/3/2001 3:09:00 AM   
nchip

Thanks WB. I plan to learn a whole lot from the master before you're through. :eek: I just recently began creating a campaign called Guderian 41 (Russian front- 2nd Panzer Group). It begins with the scenario, Crossing the Bug, 29th motorized, 6/22, 7am. #2 Pruzana 2nd pz grps. 1st tank battle--18th panzer-6/22, 6pm. #3 Slonim-Russian counterattack from Bialystok--29th motorized-6/25, 12pm. #4 Stolpce 17th panzer advance-6/26, 2pm. For #'s 5&6, borrowed 2 of yours from SPWAW, Sluzk, and Beresina Bridgehead. :D Not finished, as I want to continue all the way to Moscow. I will follow each lesson hoping to learn as much as possible from you. I hope you will spend some time on maps. I don't find them too difficult to make, but finding accurate information is quite difficult. Thanks again for all the help you are to all of us that love wargaming. ;)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 4/3/2001 3:21:00 AM   
RUsco

Got one Colonel. Kasserine Pass by Blumenson: pg 57 US Light Tanks against PZIV(s) :D

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 4/3/2001 3:32:00 AM   
mogami

<-----------gets out his ole broken red crayon and copies the post. You know last night I had a nightmare that I was back in high school. I woke up all sweaty and paniciky till I realized it was not real. In the dream I had a beard so I went and shaved for the first time in months just in case. I really hated school when I was a kid :confused: (I enlisted in Marines at 17 to get out of school-DUH) But if WB had been my teacher I would be a Doctor by now. :eek:

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 4/3/2001 4:35:00 AM   
Fabs

Great stuff, Wild Bill, thanks a million! :D

Fabs

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 4/3/2001 4:49:00 AM   
Tankhead

Hi Wild Bill! I have pick the one I want to do. I'm a big fan of Humphrey Bogart. I was watching Sahara the other night again, and I always wanted to do the battle when the Germans attack Bogart and his merry men at the old ruins and the well. A small desert battle but with a few modification from the movie, I think it would make for a great little scenario. :D. Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 4/3/2001 5:49:00 AM   
Neil Stalker

Will watch and learn Obi Wan.

Neil "Dingo" Stalker
Wild Bill's Raiders
http://www.militarygamer.com/raiders/

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 4/3/2001 5:51:00 AM   
Major Ed

Thanks Bill have been toying with the idea of a campaign for a while but was unsure how to go about it. How's this for a concept: south edge of the Ardennes loosely based on the 9th Armored Division. I've read that the first elements of the division (CCR(?) consisting of 19th Tk Bn, 3rd Arm Arty Bn and 60th Arm Inf Bn) had been in the line only 6 days prior to the start of the German offensive. Branches of this fight would let you stay along the edge of the bulge and fight into and releive Bastogne (CCA) or fight in Bastogne along side the 101st. One final question, do you prefer historically accurate or "what if" fights?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 4/3/2001 5:55:00 AM   
Banjo

At last something to get the engines warmed up for the release of 5.0. I hope that the scenario will be transferable between versions while they are in progress. Time for me is of the essence not only for this class, but also in time to just sit down and play. I am itching to work on scenarios that contain a force from platoon to comany level for starters. Short and sweet. A good way to learn how to work with units at their basic components with minimal attached support. Is there a text file somewhere, or a web page that gives existing scenario size and length at a glance without accessing each scenario individualy? I don't have the time to search them all. I would also welcome any ideas or suggestions from the rest of the class. Also I can't wait till I see that package from Matrix in my mailbox. Thanks again W.B. for the time and effort.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 4/3/2001 6:33:00 AM   
BruceAZ

HOMEWORK Every week, I am going to give you some homework. I can't make you do it , but I hope you will. I want you to write a text file that will give some background and details about your battle. This will be your text file for your scenario. It will also focus your thinking and limit your scenario. It will be your guide to making your own battle. We'll talk about how to fix it up and also the map editor in SPWAW. If you need some ideas, simply look at some of the intro texts in the scenarios in SPWAW. This will help you to figure out how to do yours. I'll see you right here then. Questions? Comments? Post them right here. Wild Bill (Next Week: "Making your Battlefield") Wild Bill: Excellent!! I have the intro text done (and edited by Halstein Sjolie) and all the maps completed for our Norway campaign. Can I use the first scenario as the "homework" assignment or do should I create a new one? Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 4/3/2001 6:34:00 AM   
RUsco

New orders Colonel,(had to get that one in) You should get with Larry Holt and include this topic in his stratagy guide or maybe on a seperate document. :D :D :cool:

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 4/3/2001 6:43:00 AM   
mogami

Hi, Hey Tankhead I tried to do a 'Sahara' a few months back (right after WB's 'Saving Pvt Ryan') But I found it very difficult not to have a Bn of Panzer Grenadiers just run over the 7 heros. I will be interested in seeing how you handle it. (The gun on the tank always broke on the first turn or two) With the new close combat Bogy is going to be busy. :eek:

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 4/3/2001 8:19:00 AM   
ruxius

anf..anf..(ruxius running ) here I am !!! Good morning !...uh ? Accs ! 7 hours of delay... :D Is there anybody in the classroom ? Noone...good ! (At least anyone will never ask my homework !) but..what in the blackboard ? Some notes from the teacher... That is Wild Bill there !! HEY ..look at here : very very interesting ! Oh I always LOVED my first days of school.. and here it looks like I will never play truant !! Wild Teacher I have to say that You speak clear and readable...a very exciting lesson also for overseas Students ! I only ask some additional weeks for my homeworks..cause I have to travel so much to be here from Italy and then going back home that only a week is not enough ! ;)

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 4/3/2001 8:36:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Homework Assignment #1 The US 17th and 32nd Infantry Btn landings and attack up Massacre Bay on Attu Island in the Aleutians. A theatre of war not touched upon much. The Aleutian Campaign.......

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 4/3/2001 9:34:00 AM   
Wild Bill

WOW! I mean WOW! What a great response, gentlemen! I'm thrilled to see so much interest. Those creative juices flowing abundantly now, huh? And I read these names, I know you all to one degree or another. Well, let's comment and answer a few queries here. 1. The scenario choices are quite good. A campaign on the 9th Armored during BoB would be a good. The poor unit really took a pounding at Clervaux all the way back to Bastogne. Another good one would be the 10th, with the various task forces and "teams" blocking the Germans. THe Aleutians is great. Did one on that mad suicide charge at Attu. The German advance 41 is another. These are all very good choices. Tankhead, I did a series of 10 scenarios in SPI called SP goes to the Movies. I included...yes, Sahara. It actually played very well. Perhaps some old diehards remember that one. I also did two from Cross of Iron, one from "A Walk in the Sun," one from "Breakthrough," one from "Hell is for Heroes," another from "The Longest Day,"and a couple of Pacific ones too. Some folks thought it was a dumb idea. Yeah? Well, people still write, 6 years later wanting to know where to get those scenarios :D. In fact, here is the text (They had to be brief in SP) for that one. I'll attach it at the end, Rick. It can be done! Historical or "what if"...hard question to answer. I prefer the former but have done both. And here is an important point, very important! Historical...what is historical? You don't have to research every tree on the ground or rock pile or have each squad leader's name to be historical. And who would have all those facts? It's impossible. In my mind a historical scenario is one which accurately portrays the feel of that moment with units as close as possible and terrain at least close to the original. Don't get swept away with so much detail that you miss the purpose of a good historical scenario. Does the scenario make me feel like Colonel Cole near Carentan when he orders a bayonet charge? Or Wittmann as he stumbles across a gold mine of targets, or the fatalistic charge of Russian tanks against better trained, more disciplined German panzer commanders? Does it have that feel? That is the KEY to successful scenario design. The purist, of course, demands all "t"s crossed and "i"s dotted. But don't feel that if you don't have ALL the facts you can't do a scenario. That is just not true. I'll deal with this in more detail later. You guys are good students. If you have your topic picked, begin to research it. Find books, internet sites, anything that will help you get information. If you get stuck, post a plea for help right here. I bet you will get an answer. Now did I cover it all? I think so. I hope so. If I missed your point or question, remind me ;) Okay Rick...here is the background..The Movie and The Moment (The scenario). The rest of you can read it if you wish. ;) Wild Bill =================== SAHARA THE MOVIE The Movie Released in 1943, the movie uses as a background the German offensive at Gazala in June 1942. A small group of American tankers of the US 2nd Armored Division were in North Africa at that time to gain experience in desert warfare. They too were caught up in the fighting. The plot is built around the tank crew of an M-3 Lee tank named "LuluBelle." Its commander, Sergeant Joe Gunn (Humphrey Bogart), gathers up the two remaining crew members and heads south away from the Germans and toward friendly forces after undergoing an intense bombardment and being separated from the British unit to which they were attached. Things are very confused as is often the case in battle. On the way Sgt. Gunn encounters a small mixed group of Allied soldiers. A British medical officer whose field hospital has just been wiped out by Stuka dive bombers leads them. Among the group are English, Irish, French, Australian, and South African. After a discussion as to what they should do, the infantry group joins forces with the tank and they proceed onward. As they continue, they run across a Sudanese soldier with an Italian prisoner. They too join the group. This polyglot group of ten is desperate for water and are led by Tambul, the Sudanese, to a water hole at Bier Kromma. Not far behind them are remnants of a German mechanized battalion, also desperately searching for water. Once aware of the oncoming enemy force, the Allied group first considers blowing up the hole and retreating, but afterward decide to hold it against the Germans. Vastly outnumbered, they set up defensive positions. A very intense battle ensues. Waco, one of the tank crew members, is sent in a captured armored car to find the Allied lines and return with help. The struggle is intense and finally takes the lives of all but two of the defenders. German attacking forces are decimated in the successive attacks. But enough of the plot, the movie is worth watching, and the scenario is worth playing. The Scenario The scenario is built around the battle at the waterhole at Bier Kromma. The M-3 tank "LuluBelle" is dug in, as are the infantry against the oncoming Germans. There are three objective points that must be taken by the Axis forces. Even though the German forces greatly outnumber the defenders (at about 10 to 1), they have little with which to combat the tank. Both sides stand about an equal chance at a moderate victory. To achieve more, you'll need good tactics and some luck.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 4/3/2001 9:57:00 AM   
Major Ed

Here are 2 more sources for books: The Military Bookman, Ltd. 29 East 93rd Street New York, NY 10128 USA www.militarybookman.com They are a source of rare and out-of-print books. I was able o purchase a copy of Paul Carell's
quote:

Hitler Moves East
fom them. Schiffer Publishing Ltd. 4880 Lower Valley Road Atglen, PA 19310 USA www.schifferbooks.com The books they publish are usually each about a single weapons system, like
quote:

German Flak in World War II
. They also publish books like
quote:

German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front, 1941-45
Hope you find these helpful. --------- " The critical factor for the small unit on the battlefield is its power to generate violence." -- Maj. Chris Keeble, The Parachute Regiment

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 4/3/2001 9:58:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill: [B]SCENARIO DESIGN-GETTING STARTED ...If you pick one, post it here. See if there are suggestions from others on that subject. Let's get started. OK. One I'd like to do (again) is the defense of "village M" based on an actual action fought by a German infantry company. It is taken from the pages of "Small Unit Actions During the German Campaign in Russia." I actually completed a scenario based on this using the old SPI editor, and some clever unit mods. It was tough, but managable. I submitted it to Novastar for publication, but got no response. I think by that time they were struggling with internal problems. Anyway, with the current SPwaw tools, it is much more feasable than with the original game. In a nutshell: A German infantry company situated in a village at the hieght of the first Russian winter offensive is attacked by three (count 'em) three successive waves of Russian conscripts out of a forest at 1000 yards. Each wave numbering about 400 men. (whew) The goals: 1. Survive the attacks. 2. Hold the village for a period of time. 3. Withdraw gracefully (if possible) with force essentially intact. With the old tools it was quite a challenge, but a little one dimensinal and tedious. With the new tools I believe it could be downright dramatic! Waddya think?

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 4/3/2001 10:54:00 AM   
Tankhead

Thanks Wild Bill for the insight. I'm watching the movies again :D. Yes I remember those scenarios you made back in SPI on the movie team and they were a lot of fun then. I will start to do the map soon. Need a bit of free time but it's coming soon time that is :D. I will save the text file for reference. Oh and lets no forget the German Ace they shot down and they took him prisoner. Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 4/3/2001 11:33:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Any book by Carell is a good one. An excellent writer. I have that one, plus Scorched Earth, Stalingrad, Foxes of the Desert, and Invasion! They're Coming! All great works, Major Ed. The small company level scenario sounds great and with the reinforcment option, and timed reaction movement, plus victory exit hexes, this one would be perfect, Greg. By all means do it...Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 4/3/2001 3:26:00 PM   
ectizen

This looks to be too interesting an opportunity to pass up. I haven't built a real scenario before, and don't have a particular battle in mind yet, but the apparent scarcity of scenarios featuring Australians (I checked a couple of places, and only found 2 - both came with 4.5) suggests that I'll probably be heading up to Papua New Guinea. And the warning to not put ammo dumps on objectives only makes me want to try it! I think I'll be able to justify it ;)

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 4/3/2001 7:55:00 PM   
GuntherX

Wild Bill Thank You :) Starting on Calais. A Tough German vs British Street Battle in 1940.

R.D.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 4/3/2001 9:44:00 PM   
adantas

Mein Oberst!, some time ago I was thinking about design a scenario and into my mind came the battle of Crete, Operation Mercury. well, I got the manual and started to study how could I made it. this topic is fantastic :D!! I alredy designed a Scenario covering the battle at Maleme. here is the text file: ___Maleme's Hell* * _German Assault vs New Zeland Delay* Maleme, Crete, May.21, 1941* __________Turns:15* * _____Design: Alessandro Bismarck* _______adantas@vesper.com.br* * BACKGROUND* * Crete was the scene of the largest German airborne operation of the war and the first time in history that an island had been taken by airborn assault.* * Afterwards, Crete was dubbed the graveyard of the Fallschirmjager, with 1032 officers and men killed, 1632 wounded and 1759 missing.* * The XI Fliegerkorps was responsible for ferrying the paratroops to Crete using 530 JU-52'S and 70 DFS-230 light assault gliders, all together 8100 Fallschirmjager were dropped on Crete, 1680 men at Maleme, 2460 men at Chania,1380 at Rethymno and 2360 men at Heraklion. As the battle wore on and casualty reports started to come into General Student's HQ it seemed that the battle was lost but the allies made some tactical mistakes and withdrew from positions around Hill 107, overlooking the airfield at Maleme, which gave the Germans the upper hand and enabled then to land the desperatly needed air landing troops of the Gebirgsjager on the airfield.* * The allies pulled back in the face of constant flow of fresh troops and began their retreat, first southward across Crete and then by sea to Norht Africa.* * THE SCENARIO* * Her Oberst, you will lead a mix of formations composed by 1st Glider Detachment commanded by Oberleutnant Von Plessen, the 2nd Glider Detachment commanded by Major Walter Koch and airdrops from supporting units.* * Your primary objective is capture the airfield so we can send the 5th Gebirgs Division to support you.* * To achieve this goal, the 1st Glider detachment will land at the mounth of Tavronitis river and attack the western edge of the airfield.* * The 2nd Glider detachment will land at southwest and southeast of hill 107 and must take it at all cost.* * The minor objectives are the bridge over the Tavronitis river and the hills near it.* * You must expect stiff resistence but we will provide air support from Luftflotte IV, Good Luck!!.* * Sources:* German Paratroopers,Illustrated history of WWII* "Operation Mercury", Internet sources* This scenario is already been tested by Siege Spieder and JR B. I'm thinking to make a small campaing based at Crete invasion. -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 4/3/2001 10:27:00 PM   
Major Ed

I found the book "Storming Eagles" by James Lucas gives a lot of insight into the German development of their parachute troops and operations. It has a lot of info on Crete.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Scenario Design 101 - Art of War #1 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI