Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 4/3/2001 11:41:00 PM   
adantas

quote:

Originally posted by Major Ed: I found the book "Storming Eagles" by James Lucas gives a lot of insight into the German development of their parachute troops and operations. It has a lot of info on Crete.
Ahh..sounds good mate, where did you find it? I'm researching now for details covering the assaults over Heraklion, Retimo and Canea. Any help will be very appreciated :D -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 31
- 4/4/2001 1:26:00 AM   
Wild Bill

A very well written piece of documentation for the text file, my friend. Sounds good. You have the correct format also. A couple of other books worth looking at are Airborne Assault, Quarrie Operation Mercury, Comeau Each of you need to examine this example of just how to do a text file. Look it over carefully. The * or asterick is a break marker. In fact here are a few hints. Use this template and make your own txt file. In fact, I would recommend copying this section and pasting into a text file. keep it as a guide for making your own text file. Writing the introduction for a scenario in these games is a little tricky. Here is how its done. ------------------- You use a simple text file editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. If you use any other more sophisticated program, you should always save it as a .txt file. The Text File should include the following information with this sort of setup. _____TITLE* * __Type of Battle* _Location and Date* _____Turns: x* * _Design: John Doe* * Background and hints* Read this over carefully. This is the usual order of information we use at the Raiders. Now in more detail. The underscore (____)is used to move the text so that it is centered. The Asterick ( * ) is used to create a line break so that the text is not all run together. Now here is an example already filled out: ___SAVING PRIVATE RYAN* * _German Advance vs US Delay* Ramelle, France, June 10, 1944* ________Turns: 15* * __Design: Wild Bill Wilder* ___billw@matrixgames.com* * Background;* * Type in the background here. Make paragraphs short. Include hints if you wish.* * Don't write a book. Keep it to the point. Its very easy to write too much.* * Include sources if you wish.* Now notice that I used the _underscore to center my text. Notice that the asterick separates sections and paragraphs and puts a space between each section. To get an even better idea, open some of the text files in the game with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad. When you think it is done, save it as xxx.txt in the SPWAW \Scen subdirectory. Save it with the same numbers (xxx) as the scenario it introduces. Finally, always open the game and check how the text looks in the game. It may look good in the text file but the game may show it differently. From there you can reopen the text file and make any corrections you wish. Remember, your text file is your show window. It tells people just what your scenario is. It usually determines if people will play it or not. Do it right. ---------------- Remember there are three files you will need to have a scenario. They are scen.***.dat(the scenario itself), scen***.cmt (name of scenario that appears in scenario list) and scen***.txt (that is where your text appears). There is fourth file scen***.rec which the game will make when you save your scenario. This one is one you don't mess with. The game does it on its own.

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 32
- 4/4/2001 1:44:00 AM   
Warhorse

Major Ed, heh,heh, I live 15 minutes away from Schiffer Publishing, great place, just spent over $300.00 a little while ago there getting some great reference on Soviet armor, German Panzerfausts/Schreck, Rocket systems, cavalry, much more!! Is trouble with so little distance between us though!! ;)

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 33
- 4/4/2001 2:07:00 AM   
Wild Bill

To look at the old Gyrene Warhorse you would never dream he was a book addict. In fact, he has taken over the bookstore his father, Walter Amos, started. It's another nice place to visit. The only thing I truly hate about Schiffer books is that most of them don't have an index...ARGH! Warhorse, got a URL for your store?...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 34
- 4/4/2001 2:13:00 AM   
Major Ed

adantas; I purchased it through the Military Book Club www.militarybookclub.com but I'm not sure if they carry it any more. I just looked at the Military Bookman, Ltd. site and used their search companywww.abebooks.com. I did a search for "Storming Eagles" and came up with 38 people or companies offering copies priced from $18.00 (US)to about $30.00 (US). Hope this helps.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 35
- 4/4/2001 2:40:00 AM   
Coachace

Has anyone ever seen a scenario done based upon the movie Kelly's Heroes? Anyone think this could make an interesting small scenario?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 36
- 4/4/2001 4:05:00 AM   
adantas

quote:

Originally posted by Major Ed: adantas; I purchased it through the Military Book Club www.militarybookclub.com but I'm not sure if they carry it any more. I just looked at the Military Bookman, Ltd. site and used their search companywww.abebooks.com. I did a search for "Storming Eagles" and came up with 38 people or companies offering copies priced from $18.00 (US)to about $30.00 (US). Hope this helps.
Hello mate, Thanks for the information :D, of course all help will be wellcome. -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 37
- 4/4/2001 4:27:00 AM   
adantas

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: A very well written piece of documentation for the text file, my friend. Sounds good. You have the correct format also. A couple of other books worth looking at are Airborne Assault, Quarrie Operation Mercury, Comeau Each of you need to examine this example of just how to do a text file. Look it over carefully. The * or asterick is a break marker. In fact here are a few hints. Use this template and make your own txt file. In fact, I would recommend copying this section and pasting into a text file. keep it as a guide for making your own text file. Writing the introduction for a scenario in these games is a little tricky. Here is how its done. ------------------- You use a simple text file editor such as Notepad or Wordpad. If you use any other more sophisticated program, you should always save it as a .txt file. The Text File should include the following information with this sort of setup. _____TITLE* * __Type of Battle* _Location and Date* _____Turns: x* * _Design: John Doe* * Background and hints* Read this over carefully. This is the usual order of information we use at the Raiders. Now in more detail. The underscore (____)is used to move the text so that it is centered. The Asterick ( * ) is used to create a line break so that the text is not all run together. Now here is an example already filled out: ___SAVING PRIVATE RYAN* * _German Advance vs US Delay* Ramelle, France, June 10, 1944* ________Turns: 15* * __Design: Wild Bill Wilder* ___billw@matrixgames.com* * Background;* * Type in the background here. Make paragraphs short. Include hints if you wish.* * Don't write a book. Keep it to the point. Its very easy to write too much.* * Include sources if you wish.* Now notice that I used the _underscore to center my text. Notice that the asterick separates sections and paragraphs and puts a space between each section. To get an even better idea, open some of the text files in the game with a text editor such as notepad or wordpad. When you think it is done, save it as xxx.txt in the SPWAW \Scen subdirectory. Save it with the same numbers (xxx) as the scenario it introduces. Finally, always open the game and check how the text looks in the game. It may look good in the text file but the game may show it differently. From there you can reopen the text file and make any corrections you wish. Remember, your text file is your show window. It tells people just what your scenario is. It usually determines if people will play it or not. Do it right. ---------------- Remember there are three files you will need to have a scenario. They are scen.***.dat(the scenario itself), scen***.cmt (name of scenario that appears in scenario list) and scen***.txt (that is where your text appears). There is fourth file scen***.rec which the game will make when you save your scenario. This one is one you don't mess with. The game does it on its own.
Mein Oberst, I'm feeling honored with your comments!!! :D By the way, if anyone will be interested to take a look at this scenario, just send me a mail. -------------- Senta à Pua!!!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 38
- 4/4/2001 6:31:00 AM   
mogami

Hi fellow students of the game. I have just sent a new scenario 'Wake Island' to a volunteer tester and am thinking of doing 'Malta' 1940 next. I have not been able to find a good map yet so if any one has one they can e-mail to me I would be gratefull. (something I can use to make a map for SPWaW) I am thinking of using the 'Folgare' Parachute Regt for the axis (Battle to be fought sometime between June-Dec 1940)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 39
- 4/4/2001 8:54:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Hold on Mogami. I want to write you about this. Letter on the way...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 40
- 4/4/2001 9:22:00 AM   
mogami

Ja erwartet mein furchtloser Führer , Unterfeldwebel Mogami weitere Ordnungen (Yes my fearless leader. Staff Sgt Mogami awaits orders) ;)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 41
- 4/4/2001 12:09:00 PM   
Yogi Yohan

OK, here's what I intend to do: Tiger Debutants - Kampfgruppe Lueder at Tebourba* * ____German Advance vs US Delay* Tebourba, Tunisia, December 1, 1942* ____________Turns: 15* * ______Design: Johan Ortiz* ____johan.ortiz@swipnet.se* * Background;* * The race for positions in Tunisia was in full swing, and the allies were doing far to well to suit General Von Arnim, commander of the newly formed 5th PzArmeé. Elements of the 1. US Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" had captured Tebourba and raided the airfield at Djedeida, destroying many planes. At this point General Von Arnim commited his secret weapon: the PzKpfw-VI "Tiger" tanks of sPzAbt 501. Although only three Tigers and four PzKpfw-IIIn of 1st Co had arrived at Bizerta, these were used to form "Kampfgruppe Lueder" and given the task to spearhead an encirclement of Tebourba via the Chougi pass. The US tankers, with their Grants and Stuarts were about to recieve a nasty surprise. * This scenario is intended to be the first in my sPzAbt 501 campaign. The idea behind the campaign is to let the Player buy two cadre Hvy Pz Co (with elite pack mules instead of Tigers :)), with only a handfull of Tigers and Pz-IIIs to begin with. After certain scenarios, (when more tanks arrived historically) the player will recieve enough points to upgrade some of the Cadre units to tanks. Of course, if tanks are destroyed, the points will have to go to repairs instead, so loosing a tank will be an irreparable loss. A special OOB with the Cadre Formations will be included with the Campaign.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 42
- 4/4/2001 7:07:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Hi Mogami, you wrote: Ja erwartet mein furchtloser Führer , Unterfeldwebel Mogami weitere Ordnungen (Yes my fearless leader. Staff Sgt Mogami awaits orders)" ------------------------------------------ It's not quite right :) It would have to be: Ja mein furchtloser Führer, Unteroffizier Mogami erwartet Eure Befehle! :rolleyes: Ciao Spellbinder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 43
- 4/4/2001 8:17:00 PM   
mogami

quote:

Originally posted by Spellbinder: Hi Mogami, you wrote: Ja erwartet mein furchtloser Führer , Unterfeldwebel Mogami weitere Ordnungen (Yes my fearless leader. Staff Sgt Mogami awaits orders)" ------------------------------------------ It's not quite right :) It would have to be: Ja mein furchtloser Führer, Unteroffizier Mogami erwartet Eure Befehle! :rolleyes: Ciao Spellbinder
Hi, Thanks I am still learning. My Matrix teacher is Frank, we are playing a game of WIR with all e-mails in German. I wondered over the word for orders. I can't figure out why I placed erwartet where I did. Unteroffizier is Sgt e5 Unterfeldwebel is Staff Sgt e6 since I left the service an e6 I chose it. Thanks for the help I will no doubt need more in the future as I learn my German (You Russian speakers are really going to faint when I try posting in Russian, Finns and Swedes beware also since I have friends trying to teach me these languages as well) :eek: :eek:

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 44
- 4/4/2001 10:43:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Sounds...er, looks good to me!..WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 45
- 4/4/2001 11:50:00 PM   
Major Ed

quote:

Originally posted by Yogi Yohan: Elements of the 1. US Armored Division "Hell on Wheels" had captured Tebourba and raided the airfield at Djedeida, destroying many planes.
Yogi: The 1st Armored Division is "Old Ironsides" and the 2nd Armored is "Hell on Wheels".I'm not sure when they were given the nicknames but here is a list of most of them: 1st Armored - Old Ironsides 2nd Armored - Hell on Wheels 3rd Armored - Spearhead 4th Armored - Breakthrough (or Patton's Own?) 5th Armored - Victory 6th Armored - Super Sixth 7th Armored - Lucky Seventh 8th Armored - Tornado 9th Armored - Phantom 10th Armored - Tiger 11th Armored - Thunderbolt 12th Armored - Hellcats On a website for the 4th Armored the author says his father doesn't remember having a patch with the nickname, so some may have been given after the war, or are unoffical. -------- "They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards." - LTC (later Gen.)Creighton Abrams 4th US Armored Division, 1944

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 46
- 4/5/2001 1:57:00 AM   
Wild Bill

These text files I'm seeing are very good, just as they should be. Always remember to look at the text file in the game. It may look right outside the game, but you need to see it as the player would. And keep on thinking of how you will put this battle together. Do your research, guys. Find out all you can about area, terrain, units, battle outcome. Picture it in SPWAW. Use your text as your guide to design. Too many write the text AFTER they design the scenario :(. One day you'll be able to get away with that, but for now, do it this way, please. Monday coming we'll get into that fascinating tool called the map editor. And think in terms of size. If the hex represents (more or less) 50 yards or 50 meters (meters are shorter than yards as you know). One hex is not that much but a kilometer by that standard is 20 hexes in length. A mile would be 24 hexes in length. This is approximate. Enough! I'm already starting the next class. See you on Monday...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 47
- 4/5/2001 4:23:00 AM   
ruxius

Good morning mates...Hi mr. Teacher.. I have choosen something which is appropriate to my continuoos lack of time.. - UAL UAL episode - " The pretext.." Ual Ual is a small fortified village in the S-E of Ehtiopia ..precious for drinkable water..and it was one of the many outposts of Italian AOI colony. It was attacked on fifth of december 1934 by many Abyssinian trespassing gangs... Fiercely defended by some IT colonial troops then nearly collapsing while outnumbered, it received at least some reinforcements that helped to defeat the attackers.. Then the episode was taken as a pretext for starting the invasion of Abyssinia by Italy. Despite the smallness of the battle it needs some tricks that only a master as WBill can solve...and so here I am with my first question : Is there any complicated way to edit the flag that is showed upon the units in the battlefield or in the objectives ? This is a needed because Ethiopia is not included in SPWAW. I own PaintSP6.0 and a good scanner..but how should I use any Chlanda's program to do that ? Notice that I still have not my copy of SPWAW 5.0 ..I am still waiting for my copy of MegaCD by a friend of mine who lives in US so I do not know how the enhanced editor of SPWAW5.0 can handle what I ask.. If this question may seem too unappropriate for the subject I beg my pardon..I don't want to be boring : why doing so a mess when I can easily use for instance indian troops and then change their characteristics with D-key ? who will notice that little particular ? (and at least this will be what I will do) Before stopping my questions I have to calibrate them.. Thanks..will I do my first homework ? :confused:

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 48
- 4/5/2001 4:26:00 AM   
Yogi Yohan

quote:

Originally posted by Major Ed: Yogi: The 1st Armored Division is "Old Ironsides" and the 2nd Armored is "Hell on Wheels".I'm not sure when they were given the nicknames but here is a list of most of them:
DOH! Thanks, Major Ed. Either I mixed the nicknames up in my mind, or the nicknames entered my mind already mixed up. Regardless, the end result was confusion. :) In any case, the 1st Armored were the foes of Kampfgruppe Lueder at Tebourba.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 49
- 4/5/2001 5:29:00 AM   
Matt

Gentlemen, I seldom post, but couldn't avoid this one. Wild Bill, great idea. I look forward to hearing more. Personnally am working on campaign in the Ardennes for an American rifle company based somewhat on Charles MacDonald's book Company Commander. Though I may switch the actual company the player might track throughout the campaign (4-5 scenarios) to keep in the action in the first days of the battle. Major Ed, an update to your list of Armored Division nicknames. The 8th Armored Division had another more popular name, "The Thundering Herd" which always made me chuckle on a visit to the Patton Musuem at Ft. Knox. (Been here 6 mos. on most recent of four visits--cue "Dueling Banjos") Other publishers that people may find of interest for the major Axis and allied powers: J.J. Fedowicz Publishing - www.jjfpub.mb.ca RZM Imports - www.rzm.com International Historic Films - (don't have address handy, but easy to find in a quick web search) Regards, Matt

IYACYAS

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 50
- 4/5/2001 8:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Hey Ruxius.. Wrong class! :D I really am very inept at those kind of changes, flags and so forth. I understand from the programmers it is not that easy. There are some here reading that are more adept at such things than I so perhaps they'll throw us both some hints. Your alternative sounds feasible. I wish we had generic flags for such scenarios. Perhaps one day. Matt, glad you posted. Your thoughts are always welcome. No barracuda around here. THe water is safe and fine. And if this little topic motivates folks to talk, so much the better. That is what a forum is for...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 51
- 4/5/2001 9:37:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

Bill: With regard to my text on the previously described scenario, this is essentially what I would submit: Tidal Wave at Toropets * * Ger delay vs Rus advance* turns: xx* visibility: x* weather: x* Location: Village "M", Rzhev-Toropets road.* January 16, 1942 1000 hrs* Designer: Greg McCarty* * * 16 Jan 1942. 0800. * * There were a lot of things that Lt. Viehmann wasn't in a position to know that morning. Things like the breadth and scope of the current Russian offensive then in progress. Like the fact that barely 24 hours earlier the 22nd Soviet Army had torn right through his parent unit, the 353rd Inf Division at the Junction of Army Group North and South, and had punched all the way through to the town of Toropets on the road behind him. Viehmann had quite a bit on his mind though; disturbing things. Like the increased partisan activity he was trying to control on the supply road west of Toropets. Two days ago, a supply unit had run into his company while fleeing east with news of strong Russian forces having cut the supply route to the west. Yesterday, his company had endured an ambush on the road when they ran into Russians in German uniform. Viehmann had withdrawn; forced to set up a defensive perimeter at the village they had previously passed through. This morning, 50 Russian soldiers on skis had nearly waltzed into the perimeter before being taken under fire at close range. A prisoner indicated strong Soviet forces moving south. Taken together; these were not good signs. As he prepared his defence at village "M," Viehman no doubt knew he might be in trouble, but at that moment, he didn't know the half of it...

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 52
- 4/5/2001 1:14:00 PM   
ruxius

OK Master..don't worry about that..we will both wait till that day..as for now I hope Indians will lend me their flag... Now I will prepare my introductive text.. I am happy my question was not considered boring..maybe I will try some other few of that kind untill you write a bad mark into my diary of school ;)

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 53
- 4/5/2001 8:35:00 PM   
dfsrusa

Hello Wild Bill, I'm trying to edit the victory objectives in a scenario with a custom map. I am able to change the type of victory hex, and the point values that it is worth, but I am not able to completely remove a victory hex and create a new one somewhere else. I'm thinking that this is possible, because you did it in The Moment of Truth and others. I want to remove the clusters of 4VOs and put one VO hex at certain key road junctions. How do I do that? I have v4.5. Thanks so much, Scot.

Carpe Diem

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 54
- 4/5/2001 9:19:00 PM   
11Bravo

Count me in! I have been playing this game for a few weeks now and just started exploring how to design my own scenario. What a lark to stumble across this message board and class. Thanks Wild Bill. SPWAW is an amazing game, a long way from my first wargame, a Panzer General boardgame by SSI! (that was before computers...I hope someone remembers that besides me) Thanks Matrix. I am interested in the battles of the Ardennes region in WWII. I will focus on one around Saint Vith involving units from the 106th INF and/or 7th Armored Division. Time to brew a pot of java and do my homework. Moveout team!

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 55
- 4/5/2001 10:45:00 PM   
RockinHarry

Aargh... ...just have the time, to see how the class is going WB! Will "check in" lil later. :o ____________ RockinHarry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 56
- 4/6/2001 9:48:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Wild Bill: Is this what you had in mind? OPERATION WESERUBUNG: Invasion of Norway By Bruce Hodgman April 19, 1940 – 18:45 hours, Bremen Naval Base. Headquarters: Armeegruppe XXI Briefing held by General von Falkenhorst, Kommandierender General, Armeegruppe XXI. Officers present for the briefing are Generalleutnant Fuerstein, 2nd Gebirgs (Salzburg) Division, Generalmajor Dietl, 3rd Gebirgs (Salzburg) Division, Generalmajor Tittel, 69th Infantry (Munster) Division, Generalmajor Engelbrecht, 163rd Infantry (Berlin) Division, Generalmajor Woytasch, 181st Infantry (Hanover) Division, Generalmajor Pellengahr, 196th Infantry (Danzig) Division and Generalmajor Horn, 214th Infantry (Kassel) Division. Also present was Generalleutnant Geisler, X Fliegerkorps and Grossadmiral Raeder, Chief of Kriegsmarine Staff (OKM). “Ah, there you are Hans. Gentlemen, may I present Oberstleutnant Hans-Peter von Wachtstein? Han’s father, Baron Generalleutnant Graf von Wachtstein, is a good friend and now assigned to OKW. Oberstleutnant Wachtstein has been secretly training a special unit in Bremen for the last 8 weeks for this very day. This unit, called ‘Wachtstein Panzer-Abteilung zur Besonderen Verwendung’ was created to support the German invasion of Norway. This unique battalion sized unit consists of 3 select Kompanies given up from 3 separate Panzer-Grenadier (Pioneers), Gebirgs (Mountain/Ski) and Fallschirmjaeger (Parachute) Regiments along with supporting Flak, Panzerjager, and Artillerie units. These elite units were the best available and have been training in combined arms maneuvers including naval assault. They represent Plan B for OPERATION WESERUBUNG.” “As you all know, Plan A called for the air and naval assault of Norway on April 9th but this has failed when the primary target at the Fornebu Airfield was covered in fog and the coastal fortress in Oslofjorden blocked the entrance to Oslo. The Heavy Cruiser Blucher was sunk. This, of course, required all naval assault units to return to their bases in Germany. The Norwegian military has now completed their mobilization and all coastal fortresses are manned. This turn of events now requires us to implement Plan B.” “Plan B calls for the direct assault of Oslo by sea. The key to conquering Norway are her coastal fortresses. You capture the fortresses and the Norwegian defenses will collapse. This is what Oberstleutnant Wachtstein’s command was specially trained for. His unique command of pioneers, ski and parachute troops has learned the special technique in assaulting coastal fortresses and will lead the attack. Your divisions will follow through after the key fortresses have been silenced and perform occupation duties. Grossadmiral Raeder will provide Battle Cruisers Gneisenau and Scharnhorst along with six cruisers and 14 destroyers for Kriegschiffstaffel protection and naval bombardment duties. After the initial invasion is successful, the Battle Cruisers will break out into the Atlantic.” “OKW has indicated the early capture of the Norwegian capital of Oslo will force the Norwegian government to surrender. We shall begin with the capture of the large coastal fortress near Vikane in the Oslofjord. This fortress is west of Fredrikstad. After its capture, the Norwegians will be forced to abandon Fredrikstad and we shall have a naval base to land the follow-up forces. Intelligence feels the Norwegians will expect our follow-up attack through Sarpsborg and take Oslo from the east. But our next assault will be to capture the Norwegian Naval Base at Horten and the city of Moss and attack through the west. This will allow us to move our forward base closer to Oslo. The next assault will be difficult but necessary if we are to capture Oslo. Protecting the sea entrance to Oslo Harbor is the great fortress at Drobak called ‘Oscarsborg.’ After this fort has been silenced we can advance on Oslo.” “The Norwegians should capitulate by then. If not, we shall continue our campaign with attacks against Kristiansand, Stavanger, Bergen, Trondheim and Narvik. The last two are of particular importance to the Kriegsmarine as they have plans for bases to contain Uboot Gruppe 1 and 3. Abwehr indicates the Norwegian 1st Division is in the Askim area along with units from the various Norwegian military schools and a dismounted cavalry regiment partially converted to bicycles. The 1st Infanteribrigad is near Fredrikstad and the 2nd Infanteribrigad near Drobak. Their elite Konglisk Norges Marine Battalion is based near Horten.” “The Norwegians do not have any panzer formations, however, we can expect British and French forces including tanks to intervene especially in the northern campaign. We should not concern ourselves with the Norwegian airforce as the Luftwaffe destroyed most of their planes in the last ten days or they have flown to British airfields in Scotland. However, the Abwehr has predicted that you will see French and British air forces so please plan accordingly. The British Home Fleet is expected to sortie from Scapa Flow but we do not think they will interfere because of our air superiority over southern Norway.” “Oberstleutnant Wachtstein primary objectives will be the Oslofjord Fortress, Vikane, the mobilization station east of Lervik. This supply depot must be seized, as it will open the road to Rade. With their flank threatened, they must fall back to the main line of defense near Askim and that will allow us to take Fredrikstad and Sarpsborg without much interference. We have rumors the Norwegian King Hakon VII is rallying his people and called up many citizen units called ‘Det Frivillige Skyttervesen’ in Norwegian. These are nothing more than hunting clubs and should not be of concern or considered partisan units.” “Gentlemen, Plan B will commence in 72 hours. Return to your commands and begin embarkation. I will set up the forward command post of Armeegruppe XXI in Fredrikstad after the Oslofjord Fortress has been taken. You are dismissed.” DESIGNER NOTES: Important! This campaign is not an exact historical recreation. It has been altered for wargame play to allow varying outcomes. You will play many of the same key Norway battles but some events or places have been altered to allow advance play or improve strategy. It is significant for each player to read all introductory notes before each battle as there are clues and tips that will help you in your fight. This is your intelligence report! War-gamers should select their core units with care. It is recommended that you purchase a company of engineers, parachute or mountain (ski) troops as part of your core units. The campaign will require their services and most battles will have transport available for naval landings and auxiliary forces for airborne operations. However, tanks and other arms in a supporting role (as part of your core Group) will be critical in later battles. This is a game of combined arms warfare where strategy and decisive action will make the difference between success and failure. Players should be familiar with the technique of loading and unloading men and equipment from landing barges. Fast, mountain (ski) or parachute infantry with tough combat engineers in support are your key elements to be successful. Make sure your troops are as mobile as you can as speed is vital in many of the battles. The Allied Version (Norwegian Commander with British, French and Pole assistance) of this campaign is also available from the Matrix SPWAW web site. Good luck, you will need it!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 57
- 4/6/2001 8:07:00 PM   
Resisti

quote:

Originally posted by Mogami: Hi fellow students of the game. I have just sent a new scenario 'Wake Island' to a volunteer tester and am thinking of doing 'Malta' 1940 next. I have not been able to find a good map yet so if any one has one they can e-mail to me I would be gratefull. (something I can use to make a map for SPWaW) I am thinking of using the 'Folgare' Parachute Regt for the axis (Battle to be fought sometime between June-Dec 1940)
Mogami, Italian's parachute division "Folgore" (I think you were talking abt that),didnt exist in 1940 yet...

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 58
- 4/6/2001 10:18:00 PM   
Wild Bill

All of these writeups are great. Now some are longer than others and sometimes they can be too long. Remember...the gamer has come primarily to play, not to read. There are occasions when a long text file is required. Unless you have a "knack" for writing, keep it relatively short. Greg's is interesting, written from the point of view of a German officier in trouble. Just keep it interesting. I've learned that any special scenario settings or situations should be listed first, just in case they don't read to the end. As a rule, 3-5 smaller paragraphs is sufficient. If you can't say it all there, you are probably trying to say too much. Overall, there are great beginning text files. WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 59
- 4/6/2001 10:27:00 PM   
Wild Bill

VIctory hexes...Scot asked about victory hexes. To understand the different types read up on them in the manual. That is important. The answer to many of your questions are there. Now as to how to move them around and change them. Go to Scenario Editor, deploy screen (that is the screen you see when you click on "deploy" for either side from the main editor screen.) Look in the "button" column to the right of the screen. The one you want is in the left column, third from the bottom (2 flags with a white arrow between them). A number of buttons are there. Play with these. See what they do. Here you can set the type of objective, its value and the turn it appears. I strongly recommend that you do not use more than two types of victory objectives. For some reason I've found the AI gets a little confused when you have more than two different types. Tom Proudfoot says the AI usually reads the top objective (victory) hex in a stack. To find and move and objective, look in bottom left hand corner of screen. You'll see there which objective it is. You start with "0" (of 21). Typing "n" will take you to the next one, "1" As you move from one to another you can find it by clicking on the single flag, top right hand corner. When you click it, the cursor goes to that objective. Remember, it may be in a pile of objectives. Once you find it, you can click it into another hex. There you can change anything you want. Then click on the hex where you want it to go. The easiest way to learn this is by practicing..playing with them. In fact, the whole concept of scenario design is learned much quicker by becoming familiar with the editor by playing with it. Maps, units, objectives, all of this is something you get comfortable with by "doing." So load the editor, don't worry about making a scenario, and just practice using it. See what you can and can't do. This will help you more than anything I can say here. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI