Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions and observations from a newbie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Questions and observations from a newbie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions and observations from a newbie - 9/22/2000 7:23:00 PM   
Pillbox

I started a scenario called "Frozen Hell" last night and a few questions came to mind. One thing I am having trouble with is finding out what the heck I am looking at! For instance, I am playing the Finnish in the scenario. I have these tank-looking things that, when the mouse is held over them, say "FI SKI". I hit "I" and the weapons listed are that of a normal infantry, SMG, hand grenade, satchel charge and something called a 7.62 L-S LMG. But it is a vehicle and I can find no place in the listing (either via mouseover or the I screen) to indicate what kind of vehicle it is. Troop transport? Tank? No idea. So I hit E and try to find something that matches. There is a TANK that matches but it has big guns that the FI SKI does not have. When I look up FI SKI in the encyclopedia, it says its a Finnish infantry squad. What am I missing here? I notice the same thing with other troop types. I have a "FIN AR SQD" that looks like a tank, might have a big gun, but no tank type is defined and I cannot find FIN AR SQD in the encyclopedia at all. I am just trying to go slow, find out about each troop type before moving to maximize its use and learn as much as possible but its getting tough to figure out what's what. Last example: 7.63 Maxim HMG, looks like a tank, yet I can't find it in the encyclopedia to get its stats. Am I worrying about nothing here? Bombardment: This scenario has tons of things to bombard with, yet ALL of them are greyed out when I hit B. And when I click on the unit (the little eye) it says FIN FG SQD, shows a picture of a mortar but gives stats on all of the troops guns, minus the mortar stats. I don't know how to use it effectively. I feel like I am missing something crucial here. Is is that bombardment target designation defines what arty you can use to bombard? A little more explanation in the Manual would be helpful. Maybe some examples for dopes like me Thanks for any help you might be able to offer a newbie Pillbox

Post #: 1
- 9/22/2000 7:37:00 PM   
Voriax

I'm somewhat guilty for your problems... You see, the Finnish ob got a *total* rewrite and because it was getting so cluttered and difficult to browse many (most) units were moved around to make it more organized. The side-effect was that when scenario is looking for unit 56 from oob file, it'll find now something else than in pre-4.0 oob's. The scenario would need a largish rewrite because of this...an would have needed it even if we hadn't moved units around as very few units were left untouched so your install is fine and you are not seeing things. Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 2
- 9/22/2000 7:46:00 PM   
renwor

in other words, to put it bluntly: Don't play scenarios with finns in it, unless they were written exactly for your OOb, but obviously there is no way how to say for what OOb the scenario was written. Simple advice: try a scenario without Finns, for starters

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 3
- 9/22/2000 8:09:00 PM   
BobD

Do the Finns work ok in generated battles? Sorry for the dim question but I am at work and am just curious... Maybe we should rename the scenario "What the F*kin Hell?"!

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 4
- 9/22/2000 9:11:00 PM   
Pillbox

Thanks guys! I thought I was going crazy

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 5
- 9/22/2000 9:54:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Ihave written the author about this scenario and hope he will have an update for it soon. I don't think Redleg was aware of this change. In the meantime, I would follow the advice and just leave Finnish scenarios alone. I apologize. Again, some of the OOB changes came at the last and some of the earlier scenarios (done in versions prior to 4.0) may have some weird icons. We hope to get this corrected. I don't think there are that many, but you may find one every once in a while till we can check them all. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 6
- 9/22/2000 11:30:00 PM   
Tom Proudfoot

Generated battles/campaigns will work fine with the Finns. Tom

(in reply to Pillbox)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Questions and observations from a newbie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI