Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront Support >> Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 3/5/2008 11:55:25 PM   
arkansasbob

Hi Folks; Can anyone offer a comparsion between these two game systems? Witch is more realistic? Witch plays better?
Whitch presents the historical situation more accurately? That type of stuff. I have several Panzer Campaign games, but none of either the Decisive Battle games or the new Battlefront system. Would appreciate anything you have to offer, and
thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 3/8/2008 4:13:54 AM   
tide1212

Hi Bob

This is just my opinion of course but I think they can't be compared. It would be a matter of taste in war games. both systems are excellent although it seem Battle Front got left in the dust in favor of Carriers at War. Although Korsun, Battles in Italy and Normandy are great fun. I also own all the PzC games and feel the HPS games have more of a boardgame look and feel to them. Gameplay and historic accurasy are right up there for both.

Tide1 

< Message edited by tide1212 -- 3/8/2008 4:21:55 AM >

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

(in reply to arkansasbob)
Post #: 2
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 3/8/2008 10:36:28 PM   
arkansasbob

Thanks for the reply Tide 1; I downloaded the demo for the Ardennes thing, and have been fooling around with it,
trying to make up my mind wether to actually purchase either the new Battlefront or one of the Decisive Battles
games. The actual play is completely different than the Panzer Campaigns, and, off the cuff, perhaps a little
more exciting. As you say, personal taste is probably the overiding factor. Thanks for the post. Later. BobL.

(in reply to tide1212)
Post #: 3
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 3/9/2008 4:18:04 PM   
Howard7x

Hi Arkansasbob. If your thinking of buying any of the DB series of games, i highly rate Battles In Italy. It has a huge range of scenarios and the last couple that have been released have been absoloutely fantastic. Fall Gelb and Kharkov are the latest scenarios and are both of the highest quality.

http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3998&start=165

Take a look at the screenshots on this thread.

BF has probably my favourite engine to date but (for me) the least interesting scenarios. Market Garden being the exception.

I could never get on with the HPS games due to the terrible interface and graphics. I enjoyed the games first time round back in the mid nineties but they simply cant compete with the DB series or Panther Games Airborn Assault series. These are the games that are moving wargames forward at the minute. Id even rate TOAW3 higher than HPS games. I guess its just down to personal preference at the end of the day. All of the games mentioned have a loyal fanbase and the communities for each are all friendly and welcoming to new players.

Good Luck choosing your game.

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Post #: 4
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 3/9/2008 6:47:35 PM   
arkansasbob

Thanks for the post, Howard; The maps in the Decisive Battles series was what attracted me initially to SSG. They are just fantastic. I have the
Conquest of the Agean game, but I have a Vista computer, and they were not able to offer any help in getting it to run correctly, so it's just
languishing on my hard drive. Perhaps the new update will fix it, but right now I'm looking at the BF and DB series. I'll take your comments on the
Italy game to heart, and if I get a little crazy this week might just buy it and the new BF game just out of sheer curiosity. I follow the posts on
Battlefront, and I know most of you old timers are pretty disappointed in the lack of scenarios for it. Anyway, many thanks for your input, Howard.
Later, BobL.

(in reply to Howard7x)
Post #: 5
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 4/4/2008 7:57:42 PM   
elcidce

I have had all of the HttR and Conquest of the Aegean versions running on my new Vista Computer without a hitch. You ought to give an email to Arunja. He is the designer of the game and can help youout or point you in the right direction. Try the forums here for CotA there are plenty people willing to lend a hand. Post your info and Im sure youll get a reply. Let me know if you dont. I found turning off User Control worked wonders for most of my games. I havent tried the new service pack. Good Luck.

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

Post #: 6
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 4/4/2008 7:57:43 PM   
elcidce

I have had all of the HttR and Conquest of the Aegean versions running on my new Vista Computer without a hitch. You ought to give an email to Arunja. He is the designer of the game and can help youout or point you in the right direction. Try the forums here for CotA there are plenty people willing to lend a hand. Post your info and Im sure youll get a reply. Let me know if you dont. I found turning off User Control worked wonders for most of my games. I havent tried the new service pack. Good Luck.

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

Post #: 7
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 4/4/2008 7:57:45 PM   
elcidce

The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991

Post #: 8
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 4/4/2008 9:43:02 PM   
arkansasbob

Thanks, Elcidce. Odd that you brought up Arunja's name. He was the one who answered my posts when I was
trying to get Cota to actually work. It's been awhile since then, and I just moved on to other things. I have
received numerous updates from Microsoft about Vista, and for all I know, the game may work now. I might
give it another try this weekend, unless my curiousity about Battlefront overcomes me and I buy that game.
I appreciate your post, and thanks. Later. BobL.

(in reply to elcidce)
Post #: 9
RE: Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns - 5/11/2008 2:33:10 PM   
jen0608

I'll go for Battlefront...rather than HPS Panzer Campaigns...even thought there's a lot of positive rumors about it...

< Message edited by jen0608 -- 5/11/2008 2:38:35 PM >

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battlefront >> Battlefront Support >> Battlefront vs. HPS Panzer Campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI