Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SAVED game screen failure

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> SAVED game screen failure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SAVED game screen failure - 3/11/2008 2:40:21 AM   
MikeB

Running version 1.804 .
Windows xp home.
scenario 15 <whole war>
solitaire
1.5G RAM
P4 2.0 Ghz CPU
...currently at May 23 1942 . Problem has been ongoing since about March 1942...about a month agone.

Once started, the game runs fine...while saving to additional game locations.
AS SOON AS quit game(for the night or to clear windows virtual memory hogging), it FAILS to load the screen identifying your saved game files to choose to load. Repeated restarts, power off/power on fails to correct the problem.

Current solution is to use DOS to copy the most recent saved game file and .txt files to temporary space. Re-install (bought Jan 2008 for version 1.50). Re install 1.804 comprehensive patch.

Game will work fine ....until one quits the game for the time being. If do NOT quit game and leave "power on" over night, it seems to work ok .

I note version 1.806 exists but is NOT a comprehensive version. Would i need to restart my game ....if i use 1.806 ? Does version 1.806 specifically address this problem ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

tempted to play a different game.

STARS! anyone ?
Mike B
Post #: 1
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/11/2008 3:21:00 AM   
wdolson

I am not 100% clear about what you mean here.  Saving is a two step process.  First you fill in the notes on the save, then you have to click on the save button.  If you don't click on the save button, the save was not done.  The save files are pretty big, you should have a delay while the game is saved.  If you're not getting a delay of at least a few seconds (up to 30 seconds on some machines), the file is not saved.

This is the same for all versions of the game.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 2
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/11/2008 4:43:58 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeB

Running version 1.804 .
Windows xp home.
scenario 15 <whole war>
solitaire
1.5G RAM
P4 2.0 Ghz CPU
...currently at May 23 1942 . Problem has been ongoing since about March 1942...about a month agone.

Once started, the game runs fine...while saving to additional game locations.
AS SOON AS quit game(for the night or to clear windows virtual memory hogging), it FAILS to load the screen identifying your saved game files to choose to load. Repeated restarts, power off/power on fails to correct the problem.

Current solution is to use DOS to copy the most recent saved game file and .txt files to temporary space. Re-install (bought Jan 2008 for version 1.50). Re install 1.804 comprehensive patch.

Game will work fine ....until one quits the game for the time being. If do NOT quit game and leave "power on" over night, it seems to work ok .

I note version 1.806 exists but is NOT a comprehensive version. Would i need to restart my game ....if i use 1.806 ? Does version 1.806 specifically address this problem ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

tempted to play a different game.

STARS! anyone ?
Mike B

You never HAVE to restart after patching... people can elect to restart if there have been database changes (i.e. - changes to guns, bombs, ships, etc.), but you don't have to restart... if there have been database changes and you don't restart, you will be playing with the older stuff.

That said - there haven't been any database changes in stock for some time iirc.

Patch process should be 1.804 comprehensive then 1.806 revised.

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 3
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/11/2008 4:50:14 PM   
MikeB

Thankyou for quick replies.
ok, so 1.806 will NOT cause disruption to my databases for comprehensive 1.804. Thankyou.

Attempt to be more explicit about the problem :
If i exit the game and reopen it. The red first screen appears.
The opening screens go through to where one selects new game or load a game.
After i press load a game...the screen exits....and a nasty message about Windows NOT being able to process the next screen appears.

Yesterday, i noted that while game save positions 14, 15, 16 were occupied(previous DOS save/reinstallation recovery), i was able to save positions 3, 4, 5 ....exit the game and return to be able to reload game save position 4(had a bad turn 5).

Typically, the screen identifying the saved game files available from which to choose to load...will simply NOT appear. I will try to do a screen save of the nasty message next time i get it....likely by the weekend.

Mike B

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 4
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/11/2008 10:53:15 PM   
rtrapasso

This is sounding more and more like a WINDOWS problem...

EDIT: Did you deinstall first before reinstalling??

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 3/11/2008 10:54:28 PM >

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 5
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/12/2008 4:54:19 PM   
MikeB

yes, DE-INSTALL was done via the control panel.
I could not find a de-install among WITP directory or CD. There was an envelope ...but nothing seemed to activate. One file open showed a whole bunch of commands...but i did not know or have confidence to activate it.

I may need to do a paint screen saver mechanism to show the error message when it next arrives. I have been surprised lately as i have now twice re-started the game WITHOUT trouble.

my memory of paint screen procedure is following :
cntrl + print screen
load paint
edit paste
save
then i can include the paint picture as an attachment to MAtrix messages.

if above missed a step, please advise.

yeah, it could be a windows glitch...but if so, why is it unique to me ???
Mike B

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/13/2008 2:31:46 AM   
rtrapasso

Save in JPG format since the forum software allows bigger jpg files (as opposed to gif)... resize the "photo" to either 800 x 600 or 640 x 480.

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 7
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/13/2008 7:52:29 PM   
MikeB

paint does not seem to exist.
word exists.

page 1 ...the first page of error
page 2 ...the "click here" section of first page of error

hmmm.
word file extension is NOT supported.

my email is BEN6249F@yahoo.com
Can i send the "word" file to rtrapasso direct ?
<I believe it is a windows type error>

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/13/2008 8:56:19 PM   
rtrapasso

PAINT should be under ACCESSORIES file.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeB)
Post #: 9
RE: SAVED game screen failure - 3/14/2008 1:28:59 AM   
rtrapasso

BTW - although you could send a WORD file, i doubt it is going to tell me much out of context... Let's see if we can post the screen shot... that should be much more useful.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> SAVED game screen failure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI