Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confederate first time AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> Confederate first time AAR Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confederate first time AAR - 3/11/2008 10:02:33 PM   
Jonah

Well, thought I might as well do a AAR since I started my first game (about time!!!!) In this AAR it has the basic rules, I'm playing as the confederates with the rules allowing CSA Emancipation, more generals, always detail battle, weak economey and Euro Intervention. I've been wanting to own this game for a long time now, let's hope it's worth it. More updates soon!
Post #: 1
First turn - 3/11/2008 11:06:21 PM   
Jonah

Before I began I planned a strategey of an 'Defend-Attack' plan. With most of my armies organizing, defending, then launching an invasion into the north. Probably my biggest concern was the west. I planned for a way  to secure Kentuckey and Missouri. So, the game began. First off, Lee was assigned as commander of the Army of northern Virginia. D.H. Hill was promoted and took command of the large first Army corps. Lee ordered that the district of Norfolk join forces with his army. General Mclaws was given command of the second corps and generals  E. Johnson, Dick Ewell, Jubal Early, Bernard Bee and other officers were assigned as divisional leaders. In The Shenendoah, T.J. Jackson took commad with R. S. Garnett's division from Southwest Virginia joining him along with the Garrison of Lynchburg to forn the newly christened Army of the Valley. Out West, all troops in Kentuckey were gone, hoping to appease them to come to our aid. General A.S. Johnston took command of the Mississipi area, with divisions under Alex Stewert, Ben Huger, Earl Van Dorn, Hardee as second in command, Joe Withers and other generals. Joe johnston was sent to east Tennesee to form an army there. Beauregard was sent out west to form an army in Arkansas with generals Gardner and Magruder.

< Message edited by Jonah -- 3/12/2008 12:23:37 AM >

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 2
Turn two-4 - 3/26/2008 6:44:33 AM   
Jonah

Well, after seeing to things like building more units, and building more units in turns two and three, I saw to the Shenendoah Valley. In The Shenendoah, A union Army under general Pennypacker with around 18,000 men in the Kanawha Province. Jackson, now a three star general, took a division under Robert Rodes and A division under Dick Garnett, 22,000 men, and attacked.

Battle of Kanawha- Day one

Initially, being my first battle, I find it quite hard. I spend all the way till seven thirty PM to find their position. Once Finding it, my troops are fatigued, so I wait another hour. After that, My Brigade of Irish Rifles, Attacks an Isolated Federal Brigade. Another Brigade, The old First, Attacks as well. Jackson and Garnett rally their tired brigades and Eventually I Have Garnett's entire Division on them. After repeated assualts it becomes night and both sides rest under cover of darkness. Jackson and Rodes decieded it would be best to postpone the assualt to avoid confusion, as that these were green troops that never fired a gun, save on a hunting trip. Unknown to Jackson, The entire union army of Kentucky reinforced their weary brigade, and it was going to be a tough fight that dawn.

Battle of Kanawha-day two

At seven thirty the next morning, Jackson and Garnett were detirmened one more attack would 'break those people'. It was decided to send Rodes Fresh division into the battle, and Garnett, Low on Supplies, would retreat to the wagons as to get substantial aid incase the other federals did come. Rodes' Attack broke the line when he charged it, the Union troops were routed. Appearing on his right though was another Union brigade, so he detailed three brigades to fight them while he crushed the other with two brigades. The other Union Brigade suffered heavily and was shaken, and Jackson looking through his telescope was believing he won the field. He was detirmened to crush this army once and for all, sending Three of Garnett's brigades into the center, where another union brigade was forming. Leaving Garnett and the old first with the wagons. The attack was a complete victory and Jackson himself rode in with his personal brigade to finish them off. The Union line crumbled and Victory was near. All of a sudden, six brigades of union infantry smashed into the confederate reserve. Garnett attempted to ralley but was put into flight. The wagons captured, there was no way the confederates could ressuply now. Jackson took the remnants of Garnett's command and smashed into the union. A bloody Fight ensued and Jackson broke a union brigade.  But soon out of rounds and bullets, he resorted to a charge. The oncoming confederates were mauled by the rows of union troops and Garnett's Division was Shaken. Rodes with wheat's Tigers and four other brigades, attacked the union position. Rodes achieved much but valour alone cannot win the day. Rodes division saved the rushing fugitives of Jackson and Garnett from complete disaster. His rear guard action saved the army from certian disaster, by sheltering the shaken units. Rodes, calmly ordering his men to fire a volley and step back 50 paces. Pennypacker, eager to win a complete victory, continued to hammer Rodes old Division. Finnaly, once Garnett's men were one hex away from the border, Jackson sounded retreat and the men had an organized retreat back to Winchester. 

The battle was not paticulary large one, but costly. The Confederate's lost over 3,000 men. Jackson will have to get numerous Replacements. Pennypacker's Army of Kentucky lost over 5,000. A crippiling blow to the army. The Battle was not the best fought, Jackson was enraged about the loss of wagons and blamed it on Garnett. Simply, I learned a few things: Ammunition needs to be protected, for it cost Jackson the battle. 2. Jackson is a capable officer but not that great of a manager of an army. 3. Garnett is capable but should be watched. 4. Pennypacker is a feared opponet. 5. Rodes is a splendid officer who Justifies his promotion and is fully capable of idependent command and may be considered for Corps command.     

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 3
Turn five - 4/3/2008 4:21:26 AM   
Jonah

Following the Defeat at Kanawha, the Confederates have more important things to do. Sidney Johnston, A four Star General, organizes all the Divisions between Abingdon and the Mississippi under his command, the army totaling nearly sixty thousand. With no army container however, it becomes a mess of divisions and is very unorderly. Back East, Lt. General Jackson, wishing to prove his worth, Invades Maryland. While He knows he doesn't have a chance of victory, he decides to divert the union atrention while Lee Strikes part of there Isolated Army. Lee readies his army for battle, having 135,000 men, he is confidant of Victory. His Army is divided into three corps: The First Corps under Longstreet has four divisions, Under generals Mclaws, Johnson, Pickett and Beall, numbering fifty thousand men. The Second Corps is under D.H.Hill, with three divisions under A.P.Hill, Dick Ewell and Jeb Sturat. Nubering around 37,000 men. The Third Corps is under Jubal Early With three divisions under Bernard Bee, John bell Hood and Wade Hampton, numbering 48,000. While The union send an army under D. Gregg to fight Jackson, the remaining army of the Potomac Attacks Lee at Fredricksburg.

Battle of Fredricksburg

The Battle opens up with Confederates making entrenchments around the snow coverd ground. After Hours of waiting, the wall of blue hits the gray line. The I corps was never really engaged except for the opening of the battle where it smashed the union division that attacked it. Down the line D. H. Hill's corps was where the  fighting was heaviest, thousands of bluecoats pounding the line that was unwavering. Hill served extremely well, defeating the majority of the army of the Potomac Single handedly. Jubal Early on the right flank didn't go as well. The line wavered when hit by the union army and nearly broke until Hill rushed Ewell's Division to his line. Old Jube was a dissapointment despite his ratings. The battle went on for a while of the same union attack and confederate repulse of it. It was a one sided affair. Throughout the day Longstreet did nothing, until decieded to change a minor victory to a rout. Taking his entire corps, marched to the flank of the union line, fully commited, and charged. The union attack fell apart and they sounded retreat. Longstreet proved a great commander, but a slow one. Hill was superb, Early left much to be desired. J. Hood proved to be very good, sand should get promoted to replace Early, seeing that he saved his Corps. The Battle was over and the federals lost some 17,000 men while Lee lost 3,000. The ground was littered with union dead, thousands all lying in the snow. Being Lee's First battle, I am pleased with the outcome.  The Union fled to Bull Run area to refit and reform.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 4
Following turns - 4/3/2008 4:45:51 AM   
Jonah

Meanwhile in Cumberland, a battle was fought between Jackson's Army of the Valley and the Army of the Potomac Reserve. The battle was instant resolve and Jackson (Suprisingly) Won. Losing severeal Hunderad men inflicted four thousand casualties. A victory that cancels out the setback at Kanawha. Additionly, John Magruder's Army of the West invades missouri, unoccupied by any field force.

Turn Six

I Relive Jubal Early, for the fact that I have a lot better officers that can be a corps commander. J. Hood Is promoted, a outstanding officer (Well, on the computer at least) to lead the III corps. I build a barracks and some infantry this turn, and now start my other building projects such as camps and academies and foundries throughout the south.

Turn Seven

Whoa, bad news to the war department! An Corps lands in New Orleans, One Division besieging one of my forts there, and the other goes to Montgamery Alabama. The Deep South is in Chaos that 30,000 bluecoats are walking through, unoposed. I Get one of my generals, Joe Johnston, to take his empty division and get every man he can find. Meanwhile Jackson heads to Penn. and Lee recieves reinforcment brigades. A. S. Johnston Gathers more men, bracing for the upcoming battle.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> After Action Reports >> Confederate first time AAR Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI