Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Malta - help, I'm stuck!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Malta - help, I'm stuck! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/12/2008 3:08:03 AM   
ChristianKnudsen

I am unsure whether this is a bug or a stupid, but here goes...

I managed to get Britain into the instability phase, and they lost control of Malta.

I got a small corps onto the island (from Palermo), but the program wouldn't let me DOW first, as it said I could not DOW a territory that I could not reach (I have a Hvy flt in the area, and I am not worried about other navies for a month or two).

So now my corps is stuck.

It is too big to move into the city, but I cannot detach factors and create a garrison. Even worse, I now cannot get the corps off, as the game will not let me move the fleet into port, even though the island is completely ungarrisoned. It says the fleet doesn't have enough movement, even when I start the naval phase in the adjacent sea zone.

So, bug or stupid?
Post #: 1
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/12/2008 5:23:29 AM   
Grognot

It'd be a bug if the corps were there before you lost Malta, and wasn't repatriated. It'd also be a bug if the turn it barred you from DOWing due to inability to reach was the same turn you actually -did- reach it, unless this was only possible because of the diplomacy phase (e.g. corps moved due to repatriation, or new corps from free state assignment) or reinforcement phase (new corp placed that could reach Malta).

Being stuck due to evil asymmetries, however, is not necessarily any indication of a bug. There are certain areas of the map where this is easier than others (landings in Circassia, for instance, if you're neither Russia nor Turkey; or Wales, for a conqueror who fails to take forced access).

< Message edited by Grognot -- 3/12/2008 5:24:33 AM >

(in reply to ChristianKnudsen)
Post #: 2
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/12/2008 5:50:42 AM   
ChristianKnudsen

As far as I can remember, Malta was an ungarrisoned Neutral when I attempted to DOW it (I am playing France, if that is not already obvious) - In fact I let it alone for at least a few turns before deciding to take it.

I was able to land the corps in the same turn in which I was unable for reasons of unreachability to DOW. The fleet and corps in question were based out of Palermo, and had nothing to impede their movement. But still my fleet with an unrestricted move of seven lacks enough movement points to go into harbour at Valetta...

Post #: 3
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 2:16:08 PM   
eske

Not being allowed to DOW Malta sounds like a bug. At least I can't explain it. But I never encoutered this 'unreachable' block.

But invading a neutral minor, which is an island is a mistake. Your fleet cannot get access to the harbor to pick up your corps. And you cannot DOW it, when you have forces in it. Some major power has to achieve control of it and then grant France access.

Actually, since you are not allowed to place neither garrisons nor depots in neutral minors, I don't see how you can get your corps counter off Malta! Bottom line: A mistake to go there.

/eske

Alea iacta est

Post #: 4
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 2:52:58 PM   
ChristianKnudsen

So that explains my inability to get them off as a stupid.

I think I will have to try and remove the corps from play, as it is one of the good 20/3 ones, too. Too bad it still has some troops left. Call them a colony, I guess.

I think the no DOW thing is a bug, though, so I guess I will push it forward.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 5
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 3:40:41 PM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChristianKnudsen

So that explains my inability to get them off as a stupid.

I think I will have to try and remove the corps from play, as it is one of the good 20/3 ones, too. Too bad it still has some troops left. Call them a colony, I guess.

I think the no DOW thing is a bug, though, so I guess I will push it forward.

Christian,

If you have a saved game that captures what you have described concerning the inability to declare war on Malta when having a corps and fleet in Palermo could you please post it. Instructions for creating saved game files can be found here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1739144

Thanks

Richard

Post #: 6
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 4:17:27 PM   
bresh

Think only way you can get corps off now, is influense malta to be your ally, and wait for someone to DOW you, so it becomes a FS. Or have someone DOW it while you have it just influensed.

Regards
Bresh

< Message edited by bresh -- 3/13/2008 5:04:31 PM >

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 7
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 9:12:09 PM   
Grognot

Sounds like a bug in the "can we reach it" code that's ignoring the ability to land troops even when you're in the adjacent sea zone -- that'd be a fairly easy off-by-one error to make.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 8
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/13/2008 9:51:14 PM   
Monadman

Well, I did find a related bug. The program is allowing fleets to enter the port of Palermo directly from sea area 730.

hmmmm . . . and sea areas 723 and 724 into the port of Ajaccio.

Richard

< Message edited by Monadman -- 3/13/2008 10:26:22 PM >

(in reply to Grognot)
Post #: 9
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/14/2008 1:24:09 AM   
ChristianKnudsen

Right - I have since removed the corps from Malta, but what I will do is attempt to re-create the situation and see if the bug repeats. Won't be until tomorrow, though. I will also check and see if I have a save prior to moving the corps from Palermo.

Thanks for your responses,

Chris

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 10
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/15/2008 1:33:05 AM   
ChristianKnudsen

$%&^$^$^#@#&*!!!

I was unable to re-create the bug. In fact the game allowed me to DOW Malta with no probs. However, I believe that it had something to do with the bug regarding entering Palermo port from incorrect sea areas.

I will try some more tonight to get the bug back, ie I will move the fleet into Palermo from various sea areas and see what if any effect this has.

As an aside, what is the secret to placing a depot on a ship? Depot in the area, ship in port, totally unable to place depot on ship either in the same or subsequent land phases.

Chris

Post #: 11
RE: Malta - help, I'm stuck! - 3/15/2008 1:59:16 AM   
Monadman

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChristianKnudsen

As an aside, what is the secret to placing a depot on a ship? Depot in the area, ship in port, totally unable to place depot on ship either in the same or subsequent land phases.

Chris

Chris,

Read section 10.5.4.

Richard

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> Malta - help, I'm stuck! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI