Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Before I buy.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Before I buy..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 2:13:16 PM   
Rowly

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a fun, easy to play, PBEM IGOUGO type game that a friend and I can play. In the past We have really enjoyed a hex based board game of the D-Day landings (Supply wasn't an issue) It was just get on and fight! We used to enjoy AOE but the units weren't controllable and all the empire building slows down the manouvering/tactics side of gameplay. We then found that the Total War series just became a case of chucking infantry at each other after a skirmish/archery session and cover your flanks with mounted units. All got tedious. The most fun we had was with the old close combat and CMBO titles (I have the latest CCMW title but I'm not overly impressed (didn't know lack of a campaign would be so important)
I like Matrix supplied games but found titles like Empires in Arms too much. I'm not a big fan of Diplomacy or building resources but I can appreciate tactics relating to supply lines etc.
I have recently found this game. Can it be understood quickly but become really tactically fun, i.e. with the right choice of units and decisions does the balance of power ebb and flow?
Will I smile at my opponents clever move but be able to gain the upper hand elsewhere on the map.

Looking for that perfect game,

Rowly
Post #: 1
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 2:27:44 PM   
ravinhood

Yeah this is what you want buy TWO! :)

WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 2
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 5:02:23 PM   
BULLDOGINTHEUK

All of what you want is in AT .

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 3
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 5:11:42 PM   
Rowly

Just had a go at the PT tutorial.  Very good indeed.  Takes a while getting used to the transfer and combat combination of buttons.  I like the overall feel and look of the game.  Can the AT game manage 1400x900 screen resolution?

(in reply to BULLDOGINTHEUK)
Post #: 4
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 5:23:14 PM   
Vic

Anything above 1024 x 768 goes fine. And 1400x900 is.

kind regards,
Vic

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 5
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 6:53:33 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rowly

Hello folks,

I'm looking for a fun, easy to play, PBEM IGOUGO type game that a friend and I can play. In the past We have really enjoyed a hex based board game of the D-Day landings (Supply wasn't an issue) It was just get on and fight! We used to enjoy AOE but the units weren't controllable and all the empire building slows down the manouvering/tactics side of gameplay. We then found that the Total War series just became a case of chucking infantry at each other after a skirmish/archery session and cover your flanks with mounted units. All got tedious. The most fun we had was with the old close combat and CMBO titles (I have the latest CCMW title but I'm not overly impressed (didn't know lack of a campaign would be so important)
I like Matrix supplied games but found titles like Empires in Arms too much. I'm not a big fan of Diplomacy or building resources but I can appreciate tactics relating to supply lines etc.
I have recently found this game. Can it be understood quickly but become really tactically fun, i.e. with the right choice of units and decisions does the balance of power ebb and flow?
Will I smile at my opponents clever move but be able to gain the upper hand elsewhere on the map.

Looking for that perfect game,

Rowly

Given that the forum in which you ask the question is one that exists to promote AT, I'll have to say yeah, this could be a good one for you.

I'd also urge you to take a look at a game called "strategic command". It's not a matrix title and there is a newer version that I cannot recommend but the first one was quite a lot of fun.

Ideally, you could do both.

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 6
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 7:45:52 PM   
Tac2i

I think you will really like this game. At times you can be at a tactical disadvantage, but with better strategic choices, you can eventually turn the tide. Also, for every plan used by an opponent, there is always a counter plan. The skill comes in knowing what, when, where and how. Gotta love fog of war. In short I think this is an easy game to learn the basics but it has some depth to it that makes it highly re playable. If a future version adds some diplomacy features so that in games with, say 5 players, it is possible to make peace agreements, trade/sell "political points" and/or research, it would be even a better game.

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 7
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 7:53:30 PM   
rickier65

Yes, It sounds like you would enjoy AT. Also, AT has elements that depending on the scenario you choose has elemets of some of the other games you've mentioned.

All of the scenarios have Units that are comprised of SFTypes of varying capabilities and winning requires you to manage these properly (though its not complicated). And you do need to protect supply lines. Other scenarios require you to manage production as well. And still other scenarios involve elements of "empire" building.

One user here has just released a Star Trek mod, and I thin another is creating an Ancient Wars mod. So you get a wide variety.

Rick

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 8
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 11:12:59 PM   
Rowly

Wow,
Thanks for the responses folks. I have purchased the game having played with PT for a bit and I have to say it's beautiful! I have only had a go at the tutorial and a tanks v infantry training scenario but it is EXACTLY what I was looking for, fast but rewarding. Try a tactic, press go and see what you're left with. Adapt and move on. Hurrah!
Just one thing doesn't seem to be explained and thats PBEM. Can anyone enlighten me as to how I do it?
I'm guessing I make my move, save the game and send the file to my mate?

Cheers....

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 9
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 11:30:30 PM   
BULLDOGINTHEUK

Glad you are enjoying the game. You are correct about PMB, you make your move, save the game and send the file to the next player. I can tell you that the PMB games are extremely rewarding. The 9 player 'Diplomacy' scenario is excellent and we often have E-mails flying back and forth trying to gain alliances, give intel information and plan our next moves. Check out the AAR threads. Happy gaming .

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 10
RE: Before I buy..... - 3/16/2008 11:36:49 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rowly

Wow,
Thanks for the responses folks. I have purchased the game having played with PT for a bit and I have to say it's beautiful! I have only had a go at the tutorial and a tanks v infantry training scenario but it is EXACTLY what I was looking for, fast but rewarding. Try a tactic, press go and see what you're left with. Adapt and move on. Hurrah!
Just one thing doesn't seem to be explained and thats PBEM. Can anyone enlighten me as to how I do it?
I'm guessing I make my move, save the game and send the file to my mate?

Cheers....

Pretty much, you make your moves, press end turn, when the inter-turn screen comes up, save and send to your opponect.

Before you start a game, you can turn on the password feature.

If your'e really paranoid, there's a terror mode that really locks things down.

I've had trouble with my email virus scanning sw. I used to use the new yahoo mail. But it wouldn't let me attach a PBEM turn from AT, siad it had virus (probably the encryption in the PBEM file). I had to revert to the classic yahoo mail to send PBEM turns.

Rick

Rick

(in reply to Rowly)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Before I buy..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI