Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBY naval attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> PBY naval attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 2:37:54 AM   
GreasyLake

Does anyone have any experience using PBY's on naval attack? They carry a torp and in the early days should have higher experience than most bomber groups. I was thinking mainly against AK's. Can't really see a couple PBY's making a run on Cruisers and Destoyers.

How about those Coronado's they seem to have a good bomb load?

Thought it would be quicker to ask the forum. Thanks for the replies.

Best line from Ken Burns's last Docu; You could surround 50,000 Germans and they would surrender, If you surrounded one Jap he was going to keep fighting.
Post #: 1
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 4:54:33 AM   
Mynok

Better to let them get experience and they will start bombing stuff on Naval Search. Unless you are trying night Naval Attacks, they are going to get slaughtered.

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 2
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 5:35:08 AM   
2ndACR

Place subs in enemy ports especially the captured PI ports/bases and they can trigger night attacks from PBY's. They do not hit very often though. Just so you know.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 2:49:05 PM   
GreasyLake

OK, Great Info! So a sub in the port will trigger night attack, I did not know that. I knew that reconning by air increased bombing and bombardment effectiveness but a sub in the base seems like a good stealthy move. And there are some British night bomber squadrons somewhere early on near Singapore.

I am thinking a random hit on a tanker loading up every now and then, would be well worth the resources spent.

Thanks again, another tool to use.

Per U.S. Grant; Logistics, Logistics, Logistics.

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 4
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 3:58:33 PM   
John Lansford

Do you have to set the PBY's to (night) Naval Attack to get them to do it, or will they conduct a night attack while patrolling?

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 5
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/19/2008 3:59:32 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

Do you have to set the PBY's to (night) Naval Attack to get them to do it, or will they conduct a night attack while patrolling?

night naval attack... usually will get no hits unless experience >70 (rare then) or >80 (fair chance).

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 6
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/20/2008 7:03:57 AM   
PzB74

Once I managed 2 torp hits on the KB in early 42 in a pbem game.
The PBY's were on night naval attack with an avg of 75-77 exp. Think the KB moved into a base hex and spotting
levels increased enough to trigger an attack.

This was the one and only spectacular success I've had - and I've tried a lot of times from both Allied and Jap sides.
So just keep on trying and placing a sub in the same hex as a target will usually be enough to trigger an attack.

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/20/2008 8:42:15 PM   
Dino

I've had the exact same experience.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 8
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/20/2008 10:49:00 PM   
Feinder

GreasyLake, the problems with PBYs on NavAtk is that they only do it at night.  Oversight or not, all spotted TFs are un-spotted during night, and there isn't a "search" phase during the night cycle, and since aircraft don't search at night...  It's problematic for you PBYs to actually have anything detected in order to attack.

That's why you need subs (in the exact hex that the target is in).  The subs will detect enemy TFs at night, so you PBYs -MIGHT- attack as well.  You also need a fairly high exp rating for them to even launch to begin with (as indicated, over 80ish).  Fair warning tho, don't get too excited tho, it's VERY RARE that you see a PBY attack.

That being the case, most players (myself included), tend to ignore the night attack "feature" of patrol craft.  It's generally more useful to set them to search during the day, where they spot enemy TFs and have a (better) chance to attack the TF, even if it's with a 500# bomb, instead of a torp.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Dino)
Post #: 9
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/23/2008 4:55:00 AM   
John Lansford

I've actually seen a PBY bomb (and hit!) a target during a daytime search mission.  Granted it was vs a merchant convoy, but still...

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 10
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/23/2008 5:12:28 AM   
Mynok

Once they get experience they will hit a lot of stuff during search.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 11
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/23/2008 4:20:03 PM   
Saso

quote:

That being the case, most players (myself included), tend to ignore the night attack "feature" of patrol craft.  It's generally more useful to set them to search during the day, where they spot enemy TFs and have a (better) chance to attack the TF, even if it's with a 500# bomb, instead of a torp.

For H8K Emily also? Default load 18in torpedo x2

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 12
RE: PBY naval attack - 3/23/2008 5:18:10 PM   
castor troy

I´ve had a couple of Catalina night attacks in my game against Hortlund just recently. It seems not really hard to get them to attack. Though they never seemed to drop torps, even if the combat report says they do. Watching the replay I´ve never heard a splash, while I saw fountains of Cats on extended range when they dropped bombs. At the moment I guess the torps don´t work at all with the latest patch...

< Message edited by castor troy -- 3/23/2008 5:26:00 PM >

(in reply to Saso)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> PBY naval attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI